Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Old 12-08-2012, 1:37 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Default If your thinking of truck driving

Be prepared for 12 weeks of training after truck driving school. This is the new industry standard. All the companies are doing it. Do not be deceived. Expect to Team up your 1st year on the road. Very few companies are letting new to industry drivers go solo. However I will say this is one of the few career choices where you can be your own boss. Owner Op Husband and Wife Teams can still gross over $300k a year.
Old 12-08-2012, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Be prepared for 12 weeks of training after truck driving school. This is the new industry standard. All the companies are doing it. Do not be deceived. Expect to Team up your 1st year on the road. Very few companies are letting new to industry drivers go solo. However I will say this is one of the few career choices where you can be your own boss. Owner Op Husband and Wife Teams can still gross over $300k a year.
I owned my own semi in the middle 70s for a couple of years in between real jobs . Ran the 48 states and it was [fun] Though is is really a hard job .I still have great memories but. the gross dwindles down to not a whole lot of money. I made way more easy money with out any business responsibilities driving out of the Teamsters line drivers local in the SF bay area. My favorite was Coca Cola PTO driving the tanker semi,,,they had guaranteed time so if you work hard and not nap during your shift you could get paid for 14 hours of time in a 8 or 9 hour day. Going to Salt lake city was a blase it was a team run, again great money. The truck driving kept me from a real job for many years. Ahh those were the good old days
Old 12-08-2012, 8:56 PM

I am planning on going to school in Jan.
I just want to get my class 1 lic.
Am already driving for a race team and since the laws are so cloudy concerning how long and weight, I want to cover my butt.
Gonna have to pay about $1200 bucks but they say they will get me the lic.
Will take the DMV test in their truck.
Old 12-08-2012, 9:07 PM

my son went through this last year. After he got his license he had to drive with a trainer cross country for 6 weeks and then he was good to go.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Then again, aren't Mexican trucks and drivers able to drive anywhere?

Given the "pass" that Law Enforcement gives to illegals, and current program to merge USA and Mexico(to the determent of USA) I'm not sure I'd want to invest much time in a career that will probably be outsourced to Mexicans who wont even be required to be paid minimum US wages.

And the Mexican truck driver will always have a 100% clean driving record, because a new DL and ID from Mexico only costs 100 pesos(five bucks American).
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I drove a semi for 12 years, quit in 92'. It got old for me. I can't imagine being an owner operater with the price of fuel the way it is anymore. But maybe they're paying better rates now. Good luck to all you newbies. Its exciting for a while and you get to see a lot of interstate.

I got to admit every once in a while when Im riding my bike and I pass up a nice Peterbuilt, I kinda wish I could make one more run.
Old 12-09-2012, 2:30 PM

Its a horrible job, truckers are not like they were in BJ and the bear. No place to park for your rest, (stops are always full) rest stops with puddles of urine everywhere, on board recording now going into effect your time management will be way tougher and unable to have exceptions. Regs that some drivers wont even come to Kali. Trucks governed at 60mph make passing very difficult, cannot idle for heater or air, the roar of the refer unit toggleing on all night is always a pleasure. It is a hard job, wake up from rest period, pedal goes to the floor, then stop and sleep. If your lucky you may get a shower somwhere clean. Dont even think about seeing your girlfriend/wife for at least 3 weeks at a time.
But you do get to se the country which is pretty cool.
My 2 cents from what a friend has been complaining about....
Old 12-09-2012, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Its a horrible job, truckers are not like they were in BJ and the bear. No place to park for your rest, (stops are always full) rest stops with puddles of urine everywhere, on board recording now going into effect your time management will be way tougher and unable to have exceptions. Regs that some drivers wont even come to Kali. Trucks governed at 60mph make passing very difficult, cannot idle for heater or air, the roar of the refer unit toggleing on all night is always a pleasure. It is a hard job, wake up from rest period, pedal goes to the floor, then stop and sleep. If your lucky you may get a shower somwhere clean. Dont even think about seeing your girlfriend/wife for at least 3 weeks at a time.
But you do get to se the country which is pretty cool.
My 2 cents from what a friend has been complaining about....
Long haul truckers is only one aspect of trucking. You can make short hauls, different companies have different routes and rules for it's driver. There are truckers that deliver for construction companies that are local, all kinds of freight and food products drivers that are local. Truckers deal with traffic, more regulations than any other drivers and their making a living depends on keeping their license. A drunk driving ticket will end your job. There are different add ons to your license, depending on what you drive. Tanker, doubles, air brakes, hazard materials. For Hazmat, you need a FBI back ground check and a test that is not easy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 12-11-2012, 6:32 PM

[QUOTE=Lucky Scott;9880300]I am planning on going to school in Jan.
I just want to get my class 1 lic.
Am already driving for a race team and since the laws are so cloudy concerning how long and weight, I want to cover my butt.
Gonna have to pay about $1200 bucks but they say they will get me the lic.
Will take the DMV test in their truck.[/QUOTE

DMV has a truck for you to take test in????
My Father-in-law understands the value of the .45, There is a reason why it came to be. I have been told that it was used to stop Asian Pacfic people that were too hard core for lighter weight bullets.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:43 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Long haul truckers is only one aspect of trucking. You can make short hauls, different companies have different routes and rules for it's driver. There are truckers that deliver for construction companies that are local, all kinds of freight and food products drivers that are local. Truckers deal with traffic, more regulations than any other drivers and their making a living depends on keeping their license. A drunk driving ticket will end your job. There are different add ons to your license, depending on what you drive. Tanker, doubles, air brakes, hazard materials. For Hazmat, you need a FBI back ground check and a test that is not easy.
If it was not for Hazmat and Military Loads I would not be making it.

No fear of the Mexican Driver. There are a few of them that can learn English and get all the background checks to drive up here. However the companies that survived 07 & 08 learned the value of having Owner Operators and good customer service. Owner Operator through a Company Lease Program = a slave. No can't say that slaves get treated better. The trick is to keep a company thinking your going to sign while you drive as a employee.
Old 12-11-2012, 8:57 PM
CGN Contributor

For the ones that complain that there on the road for weeks at a time, you knew what you were getting into when you signed up. Want to be home every week then find a better driving job. I work for DOT Foods and passed up many jobs for thus one. I'm home 2-3 days a week and get paid more than most drivers who are on the road for months at a time and I drive solo which is the way to go. Too many people sign up with the first company that accepts their application. This is a career that you will love it or hate it, and if you have a family it will make things tough.
Old 12-12-2012, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a good friend who's been doing long-haul for about 10 years now. The first couple he saved a ton of money by ditching his apartment and just putting his stuff in a storage unit for about 1/4 of what a studio apt goes for in L.A. Within 2 years paid off about $30k in old CC debt and is banking the rest. He's pretty anti social, so as long as he has a laptop he's as connected as he needs; 3 days off every 3 weeks or so, I see him 2 or 3 times a year. HOWEVER, he's also put on about 50 lbs and his health isn't so hot because the food you have access to is effing garbage, and where/ when are you going to work out?

Last edited by billofrights; 12-12-2012 at 9:33 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2012, 9:40 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
I have a good friend who's been doing long-haul for about 10 years now. The first couple he saved a ton of money by ditching his apartment and just putting his stuff in a storage unit for about 1/4 of what a studio apt goes for in L.A. Within 2 years paid off about $30k in old CC debt and is banking the rest. He's pretty anti social, so as long as he has a laptop he's as connected as he needs; 3 days off every 3 weeks or so, I see him 2 or 3 times a year. HOWEVER, he's also put on about 50 lbs and his health isn't so hot because the food you have access to is effing garbage, and where/ when are you going to work out?

Guess he does not do flatbed work? Tarping and chaining down is a workout. Food choice is a personal thing. However thanks to Subway taking over the truckstops there are more choices.
Old 12-12-2012, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^This^^ I did flatbed work for about 7 years. Tarping out 3-4 times a day sometimes in heavy downpours kept me in great shape. I should go back to it for a year...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, he doesn't do that, only hauls trailers for Schneider. And hates it. But then, he hates pretty much everything, so I'm not surprised.
Old 12-13-2012, 8:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My best buddy growing up, his dad came from Greece to raise him. Became a trucker and has probably spent a total of 6 months to a year with his son, we're 20 now

BUT he is able to come home with a nice benz
Old 12-13-2012, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

I work for a similar company like FEDEX trucking i do P&D pick up and delivery driving tractor trailer mainly double trailers, im home every eveing and have the weekends off. i love it i drive alone, its near as perfect as a regular 9 to 5 job, no stinky truck stops, no worrying about going through scales, or having to put chains on. I have a life after work and keep my marriage. You don't have to bunk with a stranger or only shower when you fill up with diesel, or eat greasy food everyday.
Unless you want that other truck driver life style. 10-4
Old 12-13-2012, 9:17 AM

I dont long haul or local haul. My job required me to obtain my Class A and paid for it all as im a mechanic and have to test drive trucks after worked on its a good thing to have and fall back on if needed.

I used to work for Caltrans and they had a saftey meeting as i went to visit my old co workers a CA highway patrol was there speaking of new law changes for 2013 for a CDL are not going to be so strict driving a personal or Class C vehicle and can take traffic school now. Heres a link to good news

http://caltrux.org/node/1568