Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-11-2012, 6:48 PM

Default whats a good PLB?

I've been doing a lot of hiking and backpacking lately. I usually go with my wife,but for peace of mind I'd like to get a Personal Location Beacon. We're also planning to do some snowshoeing in Tahoe this winter as well. In the event we get lost or our truck gets stuck I think it'll be good to have.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth it?

I'm looking at ACR and Spot. What ones do you like best?

Thanks..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Spot seems to pop up a lot now. I think that you can send messages and gps is cool. I dont own one but plan to at a later date for when I hike alone or far from roads.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

http://www.equipped.com/

This is a great forum that loves their spot/plb's. Lot`s of good reviews.
Old 10-12-2012, 1:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Get an ACR ResQLink. Spot's are junk. Spot is a perfect name for their spotty performance.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-12-2012, 3:18 AM
Banned

Yuppy 911

I guess whichever you carry bring two and extra batteries. Also make sure you have two reliable people tracking your moves with check-ins.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:05 AM

Spot is spotty from experience with my friend's unit during our month long trip through Central America. Spot also requires a monthly subscription fee so if you forget to pay, your emergency call isn't going to work. I would say the Spot is more of a GPS tracker that allows sending of 3 preset messages.

On the other hand, the ACR is for use only in a life-and-death situation. One time purchase fee and you're good to go.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:21 AM

Thanks guys, I'm hearing that the Spot are spotty and I actually only really want it for emergencies. The purpose to get out into the wilderness is to get away from people tracking me In the event I'm an idiot or something happens it'll give a little extra piece of mind.

I'm looking at the different ACR models.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Yuppy 911

I guess whichever you carry bring two and extra batteries. Also make sure you have two reliable people tracking your moves with check-ins.
The Yuppy's I know call a $100,000 RV camping at a site that has running water, bathrooms, and a firepit roughing it...LOL Really!! They're used to nanny's, maids, so they can't start a fire, cook, and they freakout about bugs, snakes, and other wildlife. We haven't really gone on very many camping trips with them since. Even if I had the money to buy a $100k RV I don't think they're practical, but whatever floats their boat. I personally like the outdoors.

This past summer I setup a nice trip where we had 50 acres to ourselves with a spot directly on the lake. Had a porto potty, (2) 50 gallon drums of fresh water, a picnic table, and a firepit.

They were all over it, until they found out the road was too narrow for their RV's. Out of 5 families all of them backed out..lol Was fine for myself, wife, and two little guys because it was dead quiet at night. No generators, other people talking, surround sound systems blaring, kids on Ipads, just nature...

Yes, I'm breaking down and want a Yuppy 911 I also bring the basic survival emergency equipment, even on day hikes. I also make sure to tell at least 4 of our family members, where we're headed and when to expect a call from us after our trip. If they don't hear from us or can't reach us within 12-24 hours of that time they are to contact help.

I'm not going to trust my life or my family's life on one piece of equipment. My wife keeps whining about spending money on preparing for any emergency at home or out and about, but on the other hand she tells me that if we ever need it she'll be happy I planned for us ahead of time.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:46 AM
Banned

I use a SPOT every time I go fishing and I fish a lot. A lot of that fishing is in the canyons and mountains. I send an OK signal every time I get to where I plan to fish and never had a signal not got through. SPOT is also paid in 2 year renewals, not monthly as stated above, at least mine is every 2 years.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curley Red View Post
I use a SPOT every time I go fishing and I fish a lot. A lot of that fishing is in the canyons and mountains. I send an OK signal every time I get to where I plan to fish and never had a signal not got through. SPOT is also paid in 2 year renewals, not monthly as stated above, at least mine is every 2 years.
Thanks Curley... I'll do somemore research on SPOT as well. We predominately do our outdoor activities in the Sierra's or fairly central to our home. We are heading on a 3 week road trip to a family reunion to Colorado next year and plan on doing some outdoor activities out there. Have you done any fishing out in different states as well?