Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2012, 9:00 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Metal Gun & Rifle Cabinet Recommendations??

My husband and I right now do not lock up our guns. Our kids are getting to the age that they might get their hands on them and 'high up' is no longer safe enough.

We are looking for some sort of metal locking cabinet. We do not want to deal with the weight of a safe and are also looking for something a little cheaper. I would like the guns safe from the kids and also want the cabinet to be at least a deterrent to burglars - not a theft proof vault. We have one AR-15 and a few pistols. Since it will be going into my walk in closet , I would love to be able to lock up my 2 Louis Vuitton bags as well, so that gives you an idea on size. The rest of my wish list is:

Price: $200 or less
Weight: less than 100lbs so my husband can carry it upstairs and install himself
Lock: prefer combination so we don't have to worry about the kids getting to the keys
Material: I would like it to be metal...I'm not talking about one of those wooden display cabinets.
Size: big enough to hold an AR-15 with the stock retracted, 3 handguns and my two purses

Any help from the experts here would be wonderful

Last edited by babe; 08-19-2012 at 9:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM
M1NM's Avatar
M1NM M1NM is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Covina
Posts: 4,080
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Ammo Bros has a 2 rifle that fits between the wall studs for $110. For a couple hundred you could have his & hers

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=510181
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Blarson's Avatar
Blarson Blarson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Bay Area
Posts: 117
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

That's a long list for just $200. The Bighorn 19ecb regularly goes on sale for $560ish on Costco.com. It meets and exceeds all of your wish list except for your husband being able to carry it up the stairs by himself. (407 ibs). It's fire resistant so you can keep your kids baby photos etc. better protected as well.

With that being said, school type tall lockers can be had for very cheep!! Throw a paddle lock on there and bam! Kid protected. Not, fire/burglar proof, but kid proof. I did a quick Craigslist search and found several full size metal lockers for less that $100. All of which accommodate a lock and would meet your wish list.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 AM
ElDub1950's Avatar
ElDub1950 ElDub1950 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: El Dorado County
Posts: 4,565
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

The StackOn gun cabinets fit your requirements exactly with the exception of the combination lock. Mine fits nicely in the end of my typical apartment closet. Holds up to 8 long guns and a shelf for handguns. I added a couple of those self adhesive hooks for random things and a stickon light. It can be screwed into the wall studs. A reasonable deterrent to opportunistic thieves and curious kids. Usually available at Big5 and similar places. I think mine was $135
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2012, 7:07 AM
GreenAndy's Avatar
GreenAndy GreenAndy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Modesto
Posts: 398
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Check out the sales at Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority (plus Big 5 and Turners). They have the Stack-On gun Cabinets available, many sizes and price ranges. CA approved, and not too expensive.
__________________
You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

IAN FLEMING
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2012, 7:59 AM
cwilliams's Avatar
cwilliams cwilliams is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Unless Dick's and Sports Authority have them on the floor and in stock, you're going to be stuck with a fairly significant shipping fee. I suggest using Wal-Mart's site-to-store option. I bought the Stack-On 8 gun version http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8...binet/14710763 and had it ship to the store that is 5 min from my house. I think it came out to around $119 total and I was able to fit it in the back of the Mazda 3 hatchback and haul it up the stairs with the aid of a small dolly. Not heavy at all! With two people and no dolly, it would be easy.

One thing to note about this cabinet is the shelf is smaller than you would think. It can get a pistol or two on it, but that's about it. It's best used for some boxes of ammo or other accessories. If you added the smaller storage cabinet that's available (as I'm planning to do someday) to the top, that would be a great setup.

Big 5 carries the 8 and 14 gun versions regularly, but only in the green color. If that isn't a problem, check for when they go on sale and you'll be set!

PS - Get a bigger one than you think you'll need. Mine is already half full after just a month or so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2012, 3:13 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,278
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

You can get a cabinet but believe me it’s not going to be a deterrent to anyone. I can’t stress how important it is to have a REAL gun safe.

A residential security container like those sold at Costco Bighorn is the minimum I would recommend.

Consider buying a safe an investment...



Last edited by ExtremeX; 08-20-2012 at 4:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2012, 3:53 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe View Post
My husband and I right now do not lock up our guns. Our kids are getting to the age that they might get their hands on them and 'high up' is no longer safe enough.

We are looking for some sort of metal locking cabinet. We do not want to deal with the weight of a safe and are also looking for something a little cheaper. I would like the guns safe from the kids and also want the cabinet to be at least a deterrent to burglars - not a theft proof vault. We have one AR-15 and a few pistols. Since it will be going into my walk in closet , I would love to be able to lock up my 2 Louis Vuitton bags as well, so that gives you an idea on size. The rest of my wish list is:

Price: $200 or less
Weight: less than 100lbs so my husband can carry it upstairs and install himself
Lock: prefer combination so we don't have to worry about the kids getting to the keys
Material: I would like it to be metal...I'm not talking about one of those wooden display cabinets.
Size: big enough to hold an AR-15 with the stock retracted, 3 handguns and my two purses

Any help from the experts here would be wonderful
Bolded is why you can't get what you want. Erase this and you have a stackon for $100. Mine cost $40 cause I got it used off craigslist and I LOVE it. Got the job done and now it holds rifle cases and powder.

IMO, what you need is the cheap safe from Lowes/Home Depot/Harbor Freight. I personally found the Lowes model to be the "best" for me. it's small, not *that* heavy, and IS a theft "deterrent" (which the stack on is not!)

I couldn't find a cheaper "safe". I think I paid $300 when it went on sale. That's cheaper than the stack-on "safe", and I didn't have to buy a gun lock last time I bought firearms.

--------------

Because of your budget and desire for a "deterrent", I REALLY recommend the Lowes model when they go on sale (thanksgiving is coming up). That should get you to $300. Anything under that IMO and you may as well get a stackon cabinet for $40. Why? One giant screwdriver and the stackon is toast. Can't say that about the liberty. my "safe" is absolutely a "deterrent", and "smash-and-grab" proof. If you can find a metal cabinet that is screwdriver proof for $200, by all means, get it.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 08-20-2012 at 3:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2012, 3:58 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

One last recommendation is to cruise Craigslist. Folks who move out of california and need to get rid of a safe NEED TO GET RID OF A SAFE, know what I mean? Sometimes a deal can be had .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2012, 4:25 PM
xoutxkastx xoutxkastx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 639
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Stack on 8 gun cabinet is what I used until I saved up enough for my safe
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2012, 4:35 PM
gwanghoops's Avatar
gwanghoops gwanghoops is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North San Diego
Posts: 760
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

I have a Sentry Home Defense Center:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/4...Defense_Center

got it from a CGer for $250 IRIC. It'll hold 1 shotgun and maybe 2 pistols. Uses 4 pushbuttons for entry. I use it for just holding my HD guns in my home office as it has fast access. Wouldn't use it for secure storage. Just assume it can be broken into.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2012, 8:23 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
The StackOn gun cabinets fit your requirements exactly with the exception of the combination lock. Mine fits nicely in the end of my typical apartment closet. Holds up to 8 long guns and a shelf for handguns. I added a couple of those self adhesive hooks for random things and a stickon light. It can be screwed into the wall studs. A reasonable deterrent to opportunistic thieves and curious kids. Usually available at Big5 and similar places. I think mine was $135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
Unless Dick's and Sports Authority have them on the floor and in stock, you're going to be stuck with a fairly significant shipping fee. I suggest using Wal-Mart's site-to-store option. I bought the Stack-On 8 gun version http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8...binet/14710763 and had it ship to the store that is 5 min from my house. I think it came out to around $119 total and I was able to fit it in the back of the Mazda 3 hatchback and haul it up the stairs with the aid of a small dolly. Not heavy at all! With two people and no dolly, it would be easy.

One thing to note about this cabinet is the shelf is smaller than you would think. It can get a pistol or two on it, but that's about it. It's best used for some boxes of ammo or other accessories. If you added the smaller storage cabinet that's available (as I'm planning to do someday) to the top, that would be a great setup.

Big 5 carries the 8 and 14 gun versions regularly, but only in the green color. If that isn't a problem, check for when they go on sale and you'll be set!

PS - Get a bigger one than you think you'll need. Mine is already half full after just a month or so.
Obviously you are men because nobody heard my additional requirement of being able to stick 2 purses in there

My husband's AR can be broken down to 16"???? No..that's wrong..how small do those AR's get when you pull out the pin and fold it over?? I think somewhere about there. Then we've got just a couple of pistols, but I would love an additional shelf. This will be going into my clothes closet, so it really can't go as high as one of the long gun safes....though the StackOn's look almost perfect

Last edited by babe; 08-20-2012 at 8:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2012, 8:27 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
I have a Sentry Home Defense Center:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/4...Defense_Center

got it from a CGer for $250 IRIC. It'll hold 1 shotgun and maybe 2 pistols. Uses 4 pushbuttons for entry. I use it for just holding my HD guns in my home office as it has fast access. Wouldn't use it for secure storage. Just assume it can be broken into.
That looks so nice and the price and weight are right. But it is small...no room for anything much but 1 gun and 1 rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2012, 8:37 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Bolded is why you can't get what you want. Erase this and you have a stackon for $100. Mine cost $40 cause I got it used off craigslist and I LOVE it. Got the job done and now it holds rifle cases and powder.

IMO, what you need is the cheap safe from Lowes/Home Depot/Harbor Freight. I personally found the Lowes model to be the "best" for me. it's small, not *that* heavy, and IS a theft "deterrent" (which the stack on is not!)

I couldn't find a cheaper "safe". I think I paid $300 when it went on sale. That's cheaper than the stack-on "safe", and I didn't have to buy a gun lock last time I bought firearms.

--------------

Because of your budget and desire for a "deterrent", I REALLY recommend the Lowes model when they go on sale (thanksgiving is coming up). That should get you to $300. Anything under that IMO and you may as well get a stackon cabinet for $40. Why? One giant screwdriver and the stackon is toast. Can't say that about the liberty. my "safe" is absolutely a "deterrent", and "smash-and-grab" proof. If you can find a metal cabinet that is screwdriver proof for $200, by all means, get it.
Thanks whiterabbit! why would you say the stack-on is not a theft deterrent? That is kind of how they advertise them! And they look pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2012, 9:47 PM
swift swift is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 828
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

I have a sentry cabinet with 2 shelves. My AR lower fits on one shelf when fully collapsed. Fairly small and it was less than $100.
Downsides: uses a key, not really burglar-resistant, and the handbags won't fit.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM
bsg bsg is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: san gabriel valley
Posts: 24,631
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

i suggest you rethink your game plan. imho, you'd be better off to buy larger than what you think you'll need.

i don't believe that a Stack-On cabinet would serve as a strong theft deterrent to determined burglars. it might keep an honest thief honest, but that's about as far as it goes. a cabinet beats a blank, but consider a good quality safe for a better shot at preventing thieves from obtaining your guns and valuables.

anything that you can provide in and around your home that slows/delays a burglar's attempt at theft... increases the odds of failure for that burglar. a safe is only a small part of a planned home security system, but is a vital part for the actual securing of valuables inside the home.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
cwilliams's Avatar
cwilliams cwilliams is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe View Post
Obviously you are men because nobody heard my additional requirement of being able to stick 2 purses in there

My husband's AR can be broken down to 16"???? No..that's wrong..how small do those AR's get when you pull out the pin and fold it over?? I think somewhere about there. Then we've got just a couple of pistols, but I would love an additional shelf. This will be going into my clothes closet, so it really can't go as high as one of the long gun safes....though the StackOn's look almost perfect
You could stick two purses in there, but you might not have room for some guns

I agree with the others that a safe is a better option, but since you said that it has to be easily moved, smaller in size, etc, that's why the Stack-On has been recommended. I do not know what is smaller than their 8 gun cabinet and will fit your requirement. They also make a couple cabinets that can be converted from shelves to a gun rack. Though, they might be bigger than what you're looking for. If you or your husband are handy, you could always add a shelf or two, reconfigure where the racks are, and still have room for the AR.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-21-2012, 1:28 PM
jyo jyo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Running…thru the jungle...
Posts: 4,464
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

I believe Stack On products are made in China---not for me! Having said that, most break-ins are of the quick "smash and crab" types---junkies looking for anything they can sell to get high. Of course, that will stop them the first time, but they could come back later with tools. Whatever you get, BOLT IT DOWN!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-21-2012, 1:51 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

"You robbed the same bank twice??"

"The first time was to case the joint and just rob it a little...."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-21-2012, 1:56 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe View Post
Thanks whiterabbit! why would you say the stack-on is not a theft deterrent? That is kind of how they advertise them! And they look pretty cheap.
I say the stack on is not a theft deterrent because you could take the same screw driver you use to open paint cans and pop that door right open.

A smash and grab thief will probably have a pry bar of some kind. Even if it is a full crowbar there's no way to pry open even the sentry safe or cheap stack-on "safe" in a smash-and-grab style. You lose your TV and jewelry on the counter, stereo, but not the guns. Can't rob it in <2 minutes.

But the $100 @ big 5 stack-on cabinet (that you can get from craigslist for $40)? That thing will pop RIGHT open with just a screw driver.

That's why I made the suggestions I made.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-21-2012, 2:08 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,278
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I say the stack on is not a theft deterrent because you could take the same screw driver you use to open paint cans and pop that door right open.

A smash and grab thief will probably have a pry bar of some kind. Even if it is a full crowbar there's no way to pry open even the sentry safe or cheap stack-on "safe" in a smash-and-grab style. You lose your TV and jewelry on the counter, stereo, but not the guns. Can't rob it in <2 minutes.

But the $100 @ big 5 stack-on cabinet (that you can get from craigslist for $40)? That thing will pop RIGHT open with just a screw driver.

That's why I made the suggestions I made.
Quoted for truth.

I have office filing cabinets that provide more security than most gun cabinets. The HON cabinets I have are actually built with thicker metals and have better locking devices, but even then it’s no match for a pry bar.

It’s why I recommended a residential grade security container, more commonly known as today’s entry level gun safes… When you compare those to higher quality safes like ones sold by Fort Knox they look like a bargain. $500 vs $2500+

In the world of security, you get what you pay for.

Plus im sure you can find other things to put inside… Passports, money, documents, jewelry, guns, computer backups… Items you really don’t want to get stolen.

My friend’s house was recently burglarized, and they took checks, ID, paperwork, bank statements, laptops, and a bunch of other stuff including money and jewelry. All these items could have easily fit inside a safe.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 08-21-2012 at 2:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-21-2012, 2:15 PM
cwilliams's Avatar
cwilliams cwilliams is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I say the stack on is not a theft deterrent because you could take the same screw driver you use to open paint cans and pop that door right open.

A smash and grab thief will probably have a pry bar of some kind. Even if it is a full crowbar there's no way to pry open even the sentry safe or cheap stack-on "safe" in a smash-and-grab style. You lose your TV and jewelry on the counter, stereo, but not the guns. Can't rob it in <2 minutes.

But the $100 @ big 5 stack-on cabinet (that you can get from craigslist for $40)? That thing will pop RIGHT open with just a screw driver.

That's why I made the suggestions I made.
Do you have first hand experience popping one open with a screwdriver? I know it's the not the thickest metal in the world, but it does have a decent three point locking system. Someone with the right tools and time could certainly get inside because it's not a safe, but I do not think someone is going to pop it open like a paint can with a little ol' screwdriver. That would say that a kid could open it without trying, and that just isn't the case. The DOJ wouldn't have approved it if it could be. Now a school locker or a standard metal storage cabinet, those you could definitely pry open without much force and as such, are not approved to store firearms.

Going by the requirement from the OP - it WILL keep the kids out...unless they have the key. If you're really that worried, get a safe.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-21-2012, 3:34 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Hi cwilliams,

I was inspired to provide data to prove you wrong, and found the opposite. Here's the relevant data:

#1 the $40 craigslist cabinets are DOJ approved (example model GCB-xxxxxxxxxxx models).
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/f.../allmakes.pdf?
(there's another list on that site too)

#2 DOJ standard is 12088.2
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php

"shall.....ensure that all ... safety devices and gun safes....prevent children and unauthorized users ....cannot be readily removed .... except by an authorized user ..."

But what does that mean?

#3: http://www.technoframes.com/firearm_..._standards.htm
"Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container standards:

Residential storage containers are able to withstand five minutes of consistent prying, drilling, punching, hammering and tampering attacks by the UL technicians. The steel constructed doors measure between 10 to 12 gauge in thickness."

But does the Stackon cabinet meet UL standards?

#4 http://www.safesatoz.com/stack-on-gcd-924-5ds-1-1.html
". The Secure Storage category include .... storage and reloading lockers. Its line of safes are....Underwiters Laboratories Residential Security Container Rated or UL RSC, ETL Testing Laboratories certified "

Conclusion? If you trust my references sources, the cheap-o flat-pack $100-at-big-5 and $40-on-craigsist Stackon cabinet can resist 5 minutes of prying from a UL certified technician and therefore met the qualifications I set forth in posts above for being "smash-and-grab" proof.

I retract my earlier statement about the stackon not meeting the OP's requirements.

And though I also don't believe its needed for the OP to buy a $2000 or even a $600 safe, I want to say I love my cheap-o liberty "safe" from Lowes (or whatever brand it is) and much prefer it over my $40 stackon, even though it blows the budget at $300. For the record, I also use my $40 stack on for powder and rifle cases.

Thanks for setting me straight, cwilliams.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-21-2012, 7:08 PM
cwilliams's Avatar
cwilliams cwilliams is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Whiterabbit -

I appreciate the information! Now when people stumble upon this thread, they have something to reference.

I actually would have been happy if you had found data proving me wrong because I certainly like being informed correctly. I 100% agree that a safe is the absolute best choice, but not always the right choice for someone with a set of requirements.

OP - I hope you find something that meets your needs!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-21-2012, 8:25 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg View Post
i suggest you rethink your game plan. imho, you'd be better off to buy larger than what you think you'll need.

i don't believe that a Stack-On cabinet would serve as a strong theft deterrent to determined burglars. it might keep an honest thief honest, but that's about as far as it goes. a cabinet beats a blank, but consider a good quality safe for a better shot at preventing thieves from obtaining your guns and valuables.

anything that you can provide in and around your home that slows/delays a burglar's attempt at theft... increases the odds of failure for that burglar. a safe is only a small part of a planned home security system, but is a vital part for the actual securing of valuables inside the home.
Hi BSG! I'm one of those people who hates to buy 'more than I think I'll need.' Sometimes I end up having to go back and 'rebuy' but usually I'm happy and I can predict what I will need/want in the future.

We have an alarm on our house and good locks on our doors. I also have homeowners insurance and we put all our really valuable stuff in the safety deposit box at the bank. So what I really need is something not so bulky and not so heavy that my husband will break his back and ruin our house bringing up the stairs. like a 4 foot high metal cabinet with a combination lock. That will keep the kids out of it. Anyone who broke into our house would only have a few minutes of our alarm before the police arrived, so I think that would be enough.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-21-2012, 8:29 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Hi cwilliams,

I was inspired to provide data to prove you wrong, and found the opposite. Here's the relevant data:

#1 the $40 craigslist cabinets are DOJ approved (example model GCB-xxxxxxxxxxx models).
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/f.../allmakes.pdf?
(there's another list on that site too)

#2 DOJ standard is 12088.2
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php

"shall.....ensure that all ... safety devices and gun safes....prevent children and unauthorized users ....cannot be readily removed .... except by an authorized user ..."

But what does that mean?

#3: http://www.technoframes.com/firearm_..._standards.htm
"Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container standards:

Residential storage containers are able to withstand five minutes of consistent prying, drilling, punching, hammering and tampering attacks by the UL technicians. The steel constructed doors measure between 10 to 12 gauge in thickness."

But does the Stackon cabinet meet UL standards?

#4 http://www.safesatoz.com/stack-on-gcd-924-5ds-1-1.html
". The Secure Storage category include .... storage and reloading lockers. Its line of safes are....Underwiters Laboratories Residential Security Container Rated or UL RSC, ETL Testing Laboratories certified "

Conclusion? If you trust my references sources, the cheap-o flat-pack $100-at-big-5 and $40-on-craigsist Stackon cabinet can resist 5 minutes of prying from a UL certified technician and therefore met the qualifications I set forth in posts above for being "smash-and-grab" proof.

I retract my earlier statement about the stackon not meeting the OP's requirements.

And though I also don't believe its needed for the OP to buy a $2000 or even a $600 safe, I want to say I love my cheap-o liberty "safe" from Lowes (or whatever brand it is) and much prefer it over my $40 stackon, even though it blows the budget at $300. For the record, I also use my $40 stack on for powder and rifle cases.

Thanks for setting me straight, cwilliams.

All i have to say is 'wow'.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-21-2012, 9:00 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,021
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
Whiterabbit -

I appreciate the information! Now when people stumble upon this thread, they have something to reference.

I actually would have been happy if you had found data proving me wrong because I certainly like being informed correctly. I 100% agree that a safe is the absolute best choice, but not always the right choice for someone with a set of requirements.

OP - I hope you find something that meets your needs!
Cwilliams,

Don't get me wrong, I've worked with ATL techs before. When they say that the UL spec is the UL tech pried on it for 5 minutes without popping, that's what they meant. It COULD mean the tech that showed up that day and forgot his prybar so used a 6 inch flathead screw driver. It COULD mean that the tech had a nice prybar and it popped at 302 seconds of trying. It could also mean the techs brought an industrial facilities rigger's prybar and had at it for 15 minutes and STILL couldn't open the $40 (on craigslist) stack on cab.

I was expecting to be able to say they got the nebulous DOJ requirement by using an ATL other than UL, but it's pretty clear if my sources are right. Stack-on used UL to meet DOJ which is defined as 5 minutes of security via pry bar. And 5 minutes of security is definitely what I used to define smash-and-grab theft proofing.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-22-2012, 7:21 AM
StormRaven's Avatar
StormRaven StormRaven is offline
Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 134
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I recently picked up a Stack-On 14 Gun Fire Resistant safe with combo lock from Walmart (hate shopping Walmart, but it was either that or go without in this case). Hasn't been delivered yet, but the specs meet what I was looking for. I have only a few guns and live in a small apartment, so I can't have anything permanent or too large. I'll be shoving this in the closet when it arrives. Has the movable shelving inside, and since I only have 3 guns at the moment, am hoping to store a few other valuables inside.

Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive than what you're looking to spend. I had to hit the $520 mark.
__________________
"There's no such thing as an assault rifle," he said. "These are 'military-style rifles' or 'modern sporting rifles.' "
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-24-2012, 7:24 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well I've continued doing some looking for a security cabinet/light weight safe and have found a few that no one has mentioned.


Honeywell 5108 Steel Security Safe


A steel safe with a digital combination lock. Weighs only about 50lb so my husband will be able to carry it up the stairs. It has 21" interior height so our AR-15 will fit with the pin removed allowing us to bend it into an 'L' shape where the barrel meets the stock. Cost..only about $200.

I'm still looking for something else. My husband would prefer a few more inches (tho size isn't that important to me) because the AR-15 fitting will be tight. Also I would prefer just a little more space so I can easily stick my purses in there. This one is a 2.8 cubic foot and I think we would like maybe 3 cubic feet.

I would still LOVE any suggestions, and my finding this one gives me hope there may be others! Hope to hear something from someone before we buy this one!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-08-2012, 8:33 PM
babe's Avatar
babe babe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 590
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Wanted to let you all know which safe we ended up settling on.

We got a Sentry Executive Safe.
Cost: $475 from Sports Authority with their 10% off coupon and free shipping
Weight: 171 pounds

We compromised on almost everything we wanted. It's a little heavier than we had hoped but we were still able to get it up the stairs with a handtruck...not the 1 ton brick we were trying to avoid. It was also expensive, but not so so much for what we were getting.

All the smaller light steel safes were just a slightly too small for my husband to fit his broken down AR-15 into. Also, the steel safety cabinets rarely come with digital combination locks that my husband really wanted for quicker access to our guns. Finally, I've got tons of room for my purses, jewelry and other stuff. I wish it were just a little smaller and cheaper, but since there was nothing else we could find, I'm happy



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:40 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.