Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Default Cow Mountain - Walk in

I know cow mountain is shut down at the moment. I was thinking later this fall trying to walk in as my car probably can't make it up the road.

I noticed there is a parking area at the bottom and what appears to trails going up hill (about 2 mi total).

Has anyone tried this? I assume with the way laws are going i'll need any hand gun unloaded, locked in case in a backpack and rifle needs to be in case too (I assume SB 1527 is going to be signed).

Anyway, bad idea to walk in?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Is it still closed? I was hoping to go up and shoot.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1k View Post
Is it still closed? I was hoping to go up and shoot.
The notice is still up on the website. They may be a bit slow to remove though. Might be worth phoning.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Glad I didn't go this last weekend, I thought it was open.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Yeah maybe I will call. Was hoping to go up and shoot tomorrow. I had completely forgot it even caught fire.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last time I went up there was a mid-90's tercel,scion tc and scion xb that made it up there
Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Im not sure if still Closed...I drive my dodge neon up there before the rains.. Then you need a 4x4...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
The notice is still up on the website. They may be a bit slow to remove though. Might be worth phoning.
Do you happen to have a link to the closure notice? The only cow mountain link I had was:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html
Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidx View Post
Do you happen to have a link to the closure notice? The only cow mountain link I had was:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html
It looks like they've taken the notice down.
Old 09-27-2012, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

If it is legal to shoot in the area, like on BLM land. Loaded open carry is permitted provided you are 100' from any developed parking area. Just don't OC in any vehicle. That is violating Fish and Game regs. Scout a 300 yrd radius before discharge of any firearm and be sure of your backstop. Have targets in your pack or a hunting license... Do a wiki search.
P.S. Clean up your mess!

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 09-27-2012, 4:20 PM

I was up at Cow Mountain last weekend. It was open, and I made it up there in my Hyundai coupe.
Old 09-27-2012, 4:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
If it is legal to shoot in the area, like on BLM land. Loaded open carry is permitted provided you are 100' from any developed parking area. Just don't OC in any vehicle. That is violating Fish and Game regs. Scout a 300 yrd radius before discharge of any firearm and be sure of your backstop. Have targets in your pack or a hunting license... Do a wiki search.
P.S. Clean up your mess!
Really? Can you show me the F&G regs about open carry in a vehicle?? Ca law says that going to or from hunting OC is GTG for open carry in a vehicle.

If you are not hunting, thats a different story.. Open carry is a no go.
Old 09-27-2012, 4:46 PM

From Here for BLM: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=186457

I believe this means you can UOC in your vehicle.

One thing I'm not positive about, while hunting / traveling to and from hunting, "unloaded" for rifles or shotguns means chamber is empty. DFG 2006

Does the same apply for handguns or does the usual "unloaded" definition apply. ie chamber empty, no rounds in magazine well.

Oh and the no LOC within 100' of parking lot is FUD. If that were true, no one could LOC at the shooting range, and that definitely is ok up there.

*2 - LOC and UOC are legal everywhere except "prohibited areas" (areas where shooting is prohibited)
*2 - LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)
*2 - Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site, or on/across a road or body of water ("prohibited areas")
*2 - consensus opinion is that UOC of handguns is now illegal in "prohibited areas" of NF/BLM (AB144 / PC 26350) not all agree (PC 26388)
*2 - Forest administrators have the authority to prohibit shooting in other areas of the NF but must clearly post this information (more "prohibited areas")
*2 - BLM administrators may post closures and restrictions regarding firearms use (more "prohibited areas")
*2 - LCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen, while hunting/fishing, but only where shooting is not prohibited (PC 25640)
*2 - UCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen while hunting/fishing and while traveling to/from hunting/fishing expeditions (PC 25640)
*2 - UOC is legal for licensed hunters while hunting and while traveling to/from hunting expeditions (PC 26366)
*2 - CA CCW/LTC permit holders may LCC in NF/BLM
Old 10-09-2012, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

2wheels.. You didn't post these... Why?
Additional types of public lands:

- Wilderness Areas, Federal, within or part of a National Forest - shooting and/or possession may be prohibited, check with local ranger station
- US Army Corp of Engineers Recreation Areas (SF, Sac, LA) - firearms generally prohibited except for limited hunting activities
- DFG Wildlife Areas and Reserves, State, California Department of Fish & Game - firearms restrictions vary (usually very prohibitive)
- Demonstration State Forests, State, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF / CAL Fire) - firearms permitted, some restrictions - (details)
- PG&E Recreation Areas - no official restrictions, generally the same as neighboring federal lands, state laws apply (details)
- Private lands and privately owned campgrounds - firearms either permitted or restricted by the owner
- Open Space Districts (a form of CA Special District) - unknown, TBD
- Land Trusts - unknown, TBD

It is against F&G regs to carry loaded in ANY vehicle without a LTC. Do a search.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...

Last edited by diginit; 10-09-2012 at 7:51 PM..