Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Default Range Authority

Why would a range need to know all of this? I'm talking about Manteca Sportsman Club in particular. I stopped going there because it bothers me when they ask for my ID to scan it and save it to their system, for what reason I don't know. Every other range I've been too, I sign a waiver and I'm in. What are your taughts about this? 1) A range is not a government agency. 2) Are they reporting prohibited people? 3) Certain age limit makes sense. 4) Valid ID scanned and kept in their system. Please don't come saying its their range their rules. I understand this thats why I don't go there anymore.

Elidgile Public Users:
1. Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident.
2. Must not be prohibited from access to firearms (e.g. felon, or under court order).
3. Must be 18 years old or older (users under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian).
4. Must present a valid ID with photo.

All local, state, and federal laws apply.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM

I felt the same way about On Target Shooting Range. They even insist you give a right hand thumbprint on the waiver. Seems excessive.

My assumption is that the thumbprint and everything you're concerned about is related to insurance, minimizing risk, and ensuring their rights to recovery.

For example, if a non U.S. Citizen has an accidental discharge that causes a serious injury then hops on a plane out of the country how do you hold them accountable? Specifically, how do you subrogate someone who lives in a different country?

Comparatively, if a U.S. Citizen were to have an AD you have leverage, you can subrogate, sue, place liens on equity, etc.

A photo I.D. is to ensure that shooters are who they claim to be, and the appropriate age, no fake alias'. If some mature looking 16 year old kid comes in, lies about his age, and then shoots himself in the foot, his parent's could sue the range for everything they have.

Lastly, I think it's just good practice to maintain records. Where I used to work we were required to store claim files for at minimum the statute of limitation typically 2-3 years, but could be up to 21 years. To be on the safe side we would document everything and then store the files for 3 years longer than what was required. (I worked in insurance for about 10 years)

Again, these are just my assumptions, but seems to make sense. It's all about risk management. The few hundred or so dollars that they could make from those transactions really pale in comparison to the amount of associated risk.

Last edited by TheYellowDart; 10-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 PM

They scan your ID into a computer, to keep on file? That just sounds like a bad idea from the start. I'd have to check but I don't think that is legal, I recall hearing something about a big department store that swiped driver's licenses if you used a credit card, and they got slammed for it. Something like a private entity can only use a ID to verify date of birth and name. Of course the obvious exception would be a FFL dealer who is required to verify and transmit that data to the state.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

How about give them a valid ID that doesnt have a mag strip on it? My Utah CCW comes to mind of a state issued picture ID without a strip on it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
How about give them a valid ID that doesnt have a mag strip on it? My Utah CCW comes to mind of a state issued picture ID without a strip on it.
How about dragging a magnet across your DL strip. Simple, efficient.

NoSTAZ