Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-23-2012, 8:08 AM
┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Lightbulb Think of getting AMD FX-8350

would be a set up from my quad core Althlon2 2.6gz. whats the top AMD chipset model motherboards these days?
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 10-23-2012, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Enjoy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...gd80,3068.html

I switched to Intel CPUs and motherboards a few years back though, their RAID controllers are generally better out-the-box and CPU line up better if you're looking for very high end performance.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Another underwhelming and underperforming CPU from AMD. They aren't even concerned with competing against Intel these days apparently. They want to compete with the "APU", but anyone looking for video performance can just toss in a better performing videocard in a desktop system for dirt cheap, making the video portion of the APU pointless, and leaving the end user sitting with an even worse CPU.

With the reviews showing how poor the fx-8350 is today, I don't get how it's even something to be considered if you're upgrading the motherboard and likely RAM as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Desktop, go intel or go home. The newer AMD units are poor performers all round. Now for Server I still think the scalability of the Opteron is superior to the Xeon, but that is more a dead heat. With intel owning the desktop the Xeon has also seemed to establish itself in a rather fixed way in the server market. Very few servers run to the level that AMD is able to handle with the Opteron, usually you are talking Cray type computing with thousands of processors vs your usual dual and quad core Xeon rack mount server.
Old 10-23-2012, 5:22 PM
┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Meh, i don't want Intel. Guess i can hold out longer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 10-23-2012, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You had better hold out for a while. Earlier this year AMD's CEO pretty much said that they weren't going to bother trying to compete(which is why I posted what I said earlier, it wasn't just an assumption I came to based off of their crap desktop performance for the past 18 months).

http://hardocp.com/news/2012/02/02/r...al_analyst_day

If you want a fast desktop, go Intel. Hopefully one day AMD will get it's head out of it's *** and actually compete with them so we have some choice in the market.
Old 10-23-2012, 6:34 PM
Irritable Smut Lord™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
You had better hold out for a while. Earlier this year AMD's CEO pretty much said that they weren't going to bother trying to compete(which is why I posted what I said earlier, it wasn't just an assumption I came to based off of their crap desktop performance for the past 18 months).

http://hardocp.com/news/2012/02/02/r...al_analyst_day

If you want a fast desktop, go Intel. Hopefully one day AMD will get it's head out of it's *** and actually compete with them so we have some choice in the market.

This x1000.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 10-26-2012, 9:12 PM

To answer the original question though, I believe 990FX is the current top chipset. But, as others have said, Intel has way better performance. This is coming from a guy who games with a phenom II x3.
Old 10-26-2012, 9:36 PM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

I just got myself a Gigabyte G3.Sniper with an i5-3570k Ivy Bridge Intel CPU running 16G ram. I am pretty happy with it and it was not that expensive to get all of the parts and build off of my existing system. All told it was about $500.

Basically I replaced almost everything: Case, Mother Boards, CPU, Memory. Kept my hard drive, power supply and video card. Added a Corsair water cooler.

The cost of the CPU you are looking at is about $200, plus a mother board ($150?) new memory and you would be in for about what I spent.
Old 10-26-2012, 9:45 PM

Here is a side by side comparison AMD FX-8350 (Eight-Core) Price $220.00 vs a Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz processor (QUAD-Core) Price $169.99 --------> H E R E
As you can see the Intel does very well against the AMD for cheaper price and better technology.
If you move to the Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz Quad-Core with Hyper-threading basically a Eight-Core) it smokes the AMD like mad... -----> H E R E for $269.99 at MicroCenter.com

It all boils down to what you plan on using it for etc... Gaming Intel better etc.. The links above just scroll down and see a side by side comparison of the processor using different tasks that you would use etc..

I am running a Intel 3770K at 5GHz and water cooling it of course to keep the temps down.
Glock 23 Gen 3 OD Green 40 s&w AmeriGlo STO Night Sight
Old 10-27-2012, 7:53 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Hey, thanks for the link for the comparisons. That is a very cool site!
Old 11-04-2012, 1:45 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

FWIW I am still running an AMD 5800 series video card on Intel I7 and run all my games at 1920x1080.. no issues or lag at all.