Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-06-2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
If you're that worried about SHTF or eventually having to depend on your gun to save you life then I'd spend every penny I could on my weapon: top line brand names for the guns, 'ammo, 'mags, etc, etc. Don't you think your life is worth the extra few hundred dollars? I didn't even blink when I dropped $1300 for my Colt M4-with proper care and 'ammo I can trust my life with that thing. You might save some money now but a lot of good that money will do you if your gear fails you and you're dead....
I would if I could I just don't make that much money. I cant afford a 1300 dollar gun when I have many other things I need as well like water purification, gear, ammo ect ect.
Old 10-06-2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunners4life View Post
My buddy has a 20in flat top he got from Rguns.. He shoots pmc federal wolf Tula and hasn't had any problems.. As far as I'm concerned they r gtg
Thanks for letting me know this is reassuring.
Old 10-06-2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidCivilian View Post
My two PSA uppers fire anything I throw at it. Sorry to hear you bought a piece of junk.
technically I cant call it that yet because I've never shot it. Its being shipped to me right now, this thread was referring to an email I got from the company selling it not to shoot steel cased ammo.
Old 10-06-2012, 6:38 PM

Which one did you get? looks like the Rguns your gun store sells are mated with NFA polymer lowers?
Regardless, I would shoot it with steel cased ammos. Some other branded ARs have issues with steel cased ammos. I've shot about 1500 rounds of tula and wolf ammos, and has on two separate range session had FTEs.

If you're concerned about warranty issues, might as well return it (unfired) and get something else. Maybe a Delton?
Old 10-06-2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
for $730 you would have been better off buying an M&P 15 Sport or a DPMS Oracle
And you coulda got the M&P Sport for $649.....
Old 10-06-2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Why didn't you put any of those thousands of hours of research into your rifle?
Ouch!!
Old 10-06-2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
And you coulda got the M&P Sport for $649.....
I know but I wanted the dust cover and the forward assist :/
Old 10-06-2012, 7:25 PM

This will be much better than any AR in the price range:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-carbine.html
Old 10-06-2012, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

I understand where you're coming from, I scrimped and saved and thought I can buy this now, but I didn't wanna settle and saved a little more and put together a quality rifle. Hey if you can get it to run more power to ya.
Old 10-06-2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteTruth View Post
The thing is I really want a foward assist and a dust cover on my rifle. I want the forward assist so if SHTF ever happened and I was defending my life and had a jam I could just hit it and be back in the fight...

If I decided to return it before I signed anything would the FFL ship it back for me? Would that cost money? Would I still have to pay them the transfer fee?
thanks for letting me know.
Uhhhh my god.

Buy an AK. /thread.
Old 10-06-2012, 8:12 PM

+1 for PSA. My buddy has one and it eats and spits out any type of ammo you throw at it. Great value the price. I always recommend PSA to noobs who want a budget build.

For SHTF you need a reliable a AR that will shoot all types of ammo. Otherwise get rid of it and cut your losses.
Old 10-06-2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Sounds like they're already making excuses for their pony workmenship
lolz

Old 10-06-2012, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are preparing for a lead backed economy, you should be hoarding quality ammo for your gun. Steel case doesn't qualify.

If you want to rely on your gun, brass cased ammo of recent manufacture with good quality control is what you want.

What you also want is a bunch of .22lr for trading (way better than gold), I suggest 500 round bricks of CCI Blaser which is 10 packs of 50 because a whole brick is too big for most trades.

It is kind of shady to send an ammo warning after purchase but everything said is true.

If you expect warranty repairs after steel case ammo gums up your action, you should look for a manufacturer with excellent customer service because steel case ammo will eventually cause problems.

For some people, if they can go through 4-5,000 rounds of steel case ammo without a major problem, they feel like they got their money's worth out of an upper/BCG.

The question is wether you'll get all the way to 4,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 10-06-2012, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Not sure if it's a piece of junk yet. If he's stuck with it, just beat it to death with a bunch of ammo. If something goes wrong, he'll know right away and can take steps to correct it.
Old 10-06-2012, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I actually got a full Rguns M4 no polymer lower. On their site they have one with a double star lower but they were out of them so they offered to get me an Rguns lower to go with the Rguns upper. Not sure if I'm going to return it. I might just try it out and if I don't like I'll sell it to someone. Thanks for the input.
Worst case scenario is you have to keep it and it doesn't work very well. But you could still probably sell it for enough to get a WASR.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
If you are preparing for a lead backed economy, you should be hoarding quality ammo for your gun. Steel case doesn't qualify.

If you want to rely on your gun, brass cased ammo of recent manufacture with good quality control is what you want.

What you also want is a bunch of .22lr for trading (way better than gold), I suggest 500 round bricks of CCI Blaser which is 10 packs of 50 because a whole brick is too big for most trades.

It is kind of shady to send an ammo warning after purchase but everything said is true.

If you expect warranty repairs after steel case ammo gums up your action, you should look for a manufacturer with excellent customer service because steel case ammo will eventually cause problems.

For some people, if they can go through 4-5,000 rounds of steel case ammo without a major problem, they feel like they got their money's worth out of an upper/BCG.

The question is wether you'll get all the way to 4,000?

Thanks for the info some valid points.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

did you get it yet?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I fired a metric **** ton of steel cased ammo through the first carbine I ever bought and never had a single issue. Those guys just don't want another call from someone saying "My rifle's jammed/broken, you guys suck" blah, blah, blah, etc. Just buy AE black box or start reloading(any self respecting SHTF'er does that anyway) and you'll be fine.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM

Check this video out about steel case ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3...ure=plpp_video
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you're that worried about SHTF or eventually having to depend on your gun to save you life then I'd spend every penny I could on my weapon: top line brand names for the guns, 'ammo, 'mags, etc, etc. Don't you think your life is worth the extra few hundred dollars? I didn't even blink when I dropped $1300 for my Colt M4-with proper care and 'ammo I can trust my life with that thing. You might save some money now but a lot of good that money will do you if your gear fails you and you're dead....
Ouch. Truth be told and sometimes stings

Quote:
I was kinda late in the game in the gun area. I didn't really start prepping until this year. I've put an ok amount of research into my rifle but there isn't much out there on Rguns. Mostly just people bashing on their customer service. Plus until recently I didn't realize I wanted an AR 15. I had bought a ruger 10/22 and put a kit on it as my SHTF rifle but after a while of shooting I decided I needed something more powerful. So I decided I wanted an AR after doing some research. I'm researching now and have been for the past month or two...
Quote:
I would if I could I just don't make that much money. I cant afford a 1300 dollar gun when I have many other things I need as well like water purification, gear, ammo ect ect.
Yeah, those two dont go hand in hand. Prepping isnt exactly cheap but the question is, do you think the world is ending tomorrow? If not, you can put aside your prepping funds for a higher end rifle. This leads me to believe that you either A, dont really care and just want the cool stuff, maybe use "prepping" as an excuse for an EBR or B, dont really believe SHTF will actually happen.
Me? I dont. But I only buy in stuff that is either high quality or can drag through the mud. Thinking of an end of the world type mind set, am I going to really care about the tacticool gear, massive amounts of ammo and protecting my water and food when I am going to question my run of the mill sub par rifle from a company that everyone and their momma has a clone of (the company that is) in order to make a buck? Or if I truly thought my life was on the line, it would probably behoove me to be without for a few months more in order to get something from a reputable company like Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, LaRue, LWRC or hell even Armalite or Bushmaster.

Either way man, not ragging on you just saying, with the way your responses were to others here, it seems priorities are askewed. If you wanted a cheap rifle to shoot NOW then be proud of it but dont BS a group of BS'ers
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Brother I understand but truthfully I couldn't afford it either-I put it on plastic. I am a firm believer of being debt free but some things just can't wait. I figured that I'd feel pretty silly when the moment came, I didn't have a weapon to defend myself but hey....I'm debt free and my credit rating is golden. When and if the SHTF money/debt will be the least of our issues. I hope all goes well with your weapon...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadre View Post
did you get it yet?
No not yet it was estimated to come in on the fifth and I called today and my FFL said they are still waiting for it to come in. I will for sure let everyone know when I get it.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Ouch. Truth be told and sometimes stings

Yeah, those two dont go hand in hand. Prepping isnt exactly cheap but the question is, do you think the world is ending tomorrow? If not, you can put aside your prepping funds for a higher end rifle. This leads me to believe that you either A, dont really care and just want the cool stuff, maybe use "prepping" as an excuse for an EBR or B, dont really believe SHTF will actually happen.
Me? I dont. But I only buy in stuff that is either high quality or can drag through the mud. Thinking of an end of the world type mind set, am I going to really care about the tacticool gear, massive amounts of ammo and protecting my water and food when I am going to question my run of the mill sub par rifle from a company that everyone and their momma has a clone of (the company that is) in order to make a buck? Or if I truly thought my life was on the line, it would probably behoove me to be without for a few months more in order to get something from a reputable company like Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, LaRue, LWRC or hell even Armalite or Bushmaster.

Either way man, not ragging on you just saying, with the way your responses were to others here, it seems priorities are askewed. If you wanted a cheap rifle to shoot NOW then be proud of it but dont BS a group of BS'ers

Yeah I definitely would wait to get a better rifle if I thought I had the time. No I do not think the world is going to end tomorrow. But I do see a WROL (Without Rule of Law) scenario coming in the near future. Possibly before the end of the year. With QE3 being rolled out and the possibilities of World War III on the razors edge with Iran, Israel, Russia and China. Iran has said they have sleeper cells inside the US that will cause massive terrorist attacks if we attack them which would bring in martial law. Russia and China have both stated that they would attack the US if we attacked Iran. I've been studying the bible and prophecy for the past 3 years and everything that is going on in the middle east and Israel seems to all be lining up. I just don't want to be sitting on money saving for a rifle and then not have one. But who knows I could always sell it and buy that PSA that was linked earlier if I don't end up liking it. I'm not trying to BS anyone sorry if you feel that way.

Here is a little video that sums up a lot

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-07-2012 at 1:14 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Brother I understand but truthfully I couldn't afford it either-I put it on plastic. I am a firm believer of being debt free but some things just can't wait. I figured that I'd feel pretty silly when the moment came, I didn't have a weapon to defend myself but hey....I'm debt free and my credit rating is golden. When and if the SHTF money/debt will be the least of our issues. I hope all goes well with your weapon...
I am debt free as well. I have thought about putting it on plastic but I just haven't decided to pull the trigger on it yet. You are right about debt being the least of my problems if we run into a SHTF scenario. Appreciate the advice.

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-07-2012 at 2:19 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I am debt free as well. I have thought about putting it on plastic as I just haven't decided to pull the trigger on it yet. You are right about debt being the least of my problems if we run into a SHTF scenario. Appreciate the advice.
Honestly buddy I would highly consider an Ak. Atleast look into them. They will go to hell and back and if we do in fact get invaded or attacked its likely the caliber will be 7.62x39 my strategy would be to shoot their own ammo back at them also an ak is made to shoot steel. For what you are planning on having and using the gun for, I would consider it. I got my AK first, I am now building an AR.
Old 10-07-2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin1991 View Post
Honestly buddy I would highly consider an Ak. Atleast look into them. They will go to hell and back and if we do in fact get invaded or attacked its likely the caliber will be 7.62x39 my strategy would be to shoot their own ammo back at them also an ak is made to shoot steel. For what you are planning on having and using the gun for, I would consider it. I got my AK first, I am now building an AR.
I have considered an AK but I just really want an AR for the the long distance capabilities and the accuracy. Personally I don't necessarily see China and Russia invading..maybe at one point. We do have thousands of Russian Spetsnaz troops already inside the US based in Colorado. A more realistic scenario I see is that America is attacked through terrorist attacks or possibly a nuke, or the economy collapsing which would bring martial law. If this happens NATO troops would be sent in to "keep the peace" and enforce martial law, as far as I know NATO troops would have 5.56. If and when the economy collapses it will be by design from the Federal Reserve Bank. I've also been studying the elite ruling class for the past 3 years and all throughout their writing they want to initiate a New World Order. This cannot be done unless the country is brought to its knees and a tyrannical system is built.

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-07-2012 at 1:45 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 6:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah I definitely would wait to get a better rifle if I thought I had the time. No I do not think the world is going to end tomorrow. But I do see a WROL (Without Rule of Law) scenario coming in the near future. Possibly before the end of the year. With QE3 being rolled out and the possibilities of World War III on the razors edge with Iran, Israel, Russia and China. Iran has said they have sleeper cells inside the US that will cause massive terrorist attacks if we attack them which would bring in martial law. Russia and China have both stated that they would attack the US if we attacked Iran. I've been studying the bible and prophecy for the past 3 years and everything that is going on in the middle east and Israel seems to all be lining up. I just don't want to be sitting on money saving for a rifle and then not have one. But who knows I could always sell it and buy that PSA that was linked earlier if I don't end up liking it. I'm not trying to BS anyone sorry if you feel that way.

[YOUTUBE]HP7L8bw5QF4&feature[YOUTUBE]
Hmmmm. Care to make a wager? I'll give you an EBR of mine if by the end of the year we have "WROL" for your EBR if we dont.
Old 10-07-2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm. Care to make a wager? I'll give you an EBR of mine if by the end of the year we have "WROL" for your EBR if we dont.
Na I'll pass ha. I'm not saying I'm positive I'm just saying its possible. With the way things are going right now its gonna happen eventually. I mean just look at the economy as long as the Federal Reserve bank is in power we will sink deeper into debt. I'm not talking about the 16-17 trillion we are in. The world is in over 1 QUADRILLION that's one thousand trillion dollars of derivative debt to the federal reserve bank.

The federal reserve gets countries into so much debt through derivatives that its impossible to get out of. Derivatives are basically interest on money they loan out to banks and countries. You know all the banks that got bailed out? Guess who bailed them out. The federal reserve bank. When banks BORROW money from the federal reserve they are charged interest on every dollar. The federal reserve prints the money out of thin air then LOANS it out. Right now as far as I know governments pay 10 dollars for every dollar they borrow. Which I might add has gotten THE WORLD into OVER a quadrillion which is one thousand trillion dollars of derivatives. As far as I know the federal reserve says the United States owes 600 trillion dollars of derivatives. Our government backs them and lays the debt on the backs of the American people, when its not the peoples debt in the first place.It is a debt spiral that is designed to go on perpetually. When the federal reserve prints money out of thin air inflation occurs. The U.S. dollar has lost 96.2 percent of its value since 1900. Almost all of that decline has happened since the Federal Reserve was created in 1913. As long as the Federal Reserve bank keeps printing money the more the dollar will decline in value.

You can't just print money out of thin air forever. And when the dollar does fall and hyper inflation occurs there is going to be complete chaos in this country that people deserve to be warned about. Imagine living in a major city when it all comes down and the economy collapses. We have between 50 and 100 million people on food stamps in this country. If they stopped getting those you can COUNT on those cities burning within 3 days. Which will result in martial law with troops on the street to "keep the peace." And the military's idea of "keeping the peace" will result in gun confiscation

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...entral-banking

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...ederal-reserve

Old 10-08-2012, 9:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I have considered an AK but I just really want an AR for the the long distance capabilities and the accuracy. Personally I don't necessarily see China and Russia invading..maybe at one point. We do have thousands of Russian Spetsnaz troops already inside the US based in Colorado. A more realistic scenario I see is that America is attacked through terrorist attacks or possibly a nuke, or the economy collapsing which would bring martial law. If this happens NATO troops would be sent in to "keep the peace" and enforce martial law, as far as I know NATO troops would have 5.56. If and when the economy collapses it will be by design from the Federal Reserve Bank. I've also been studying the elite ruling class for the past 3 years and all throughout their writing they want to initiate a New World Order. This cannot be done unless the country is brought to its knees and a tyrannical system is built.

Uhhhh, Boy...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM

Seriously, just send it back already.

You researched, but you said there wasn't a lot out there on rguns right?

You paid more for it than the top voted entry level AR (S&W sport) .

You already can't trust it.

Return it.
Old 10-08-2012, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Na I'll pass ha. I'm not saying I'm positive I'm just saying its possible. With the way things are going right now its gonna happen eventually. I mean just look at the economy as long as the Federal Reserve bank is in power we will sink deeper into debt. I'm not talking about the 16-17 trillion we are in. The world is in over 1 QUADRILLION that's one thousand trillion dollars of derivative debt to the federal reserve bank.

The federal reserve gets countries into so much debt through derivatives that its impossible to get out of. Derivatives are basically interest on money they loan out to banks and countries. You know all the banks that got bailed out? Guess who bailed them out. The federal reserve bank. When banks BORROW money from the federal reserve they are charged interest on every dollar. The federal reserve prints the money out of thin air then LOANS it out. Right now as far as I know governments pay 10 dollars for every dollar they borrow. Which I might add has gotten THE WORLD into OVER a quadrillion which is one thousand trillion dollars of derivatives. As far as I know the federal reserve says the United States owes 600 trillion dollars of derivatives. Our government backs them and lays the debt on the backs of the American people, when its not the peoples debt in the first place.It is a debt spiral that is designed to go on perpetually. When the federal reserve prints money out of thin air inflation occurs. The U.S. dollar has lost 96.2 percent of its value since 1900. Almost all of that decline has happened since the Federal Reserve was created in 1913. As long as the Federal Reserve bank keeps printing money the more the dollar will decline in value.

You can't just print money out of thin air forever. And when the dollar does fall and hyper inflation occurs there is going to be complete chaos in this country that people deserve to be warned about. Imagine living in a major city when it all comes down and the economy collapses. We have between 50 and 100 million people on food stamps in this country. If they stopped getting those you can COUNT on those cities burning within 3 days. Which will result in martial law with troops on the street to "keep the peace." And the military's idea of "keeping the peace" will result in gun confiscation

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...entral-banking

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...ederal-reserve

[YOUTUBE]kf8trl69kzo[YOUTUBE]

That's why it's called a gamble and a bet homie. C'mon, go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
Uhhhh, Boy...
Yeah I know right? Hey OP, you should really stick to the outdoor section. The "SHTF" crowd took it over and made it their own with these type of posts.
Old 10-08-2012, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

People usually buy an AK in preparation for SHTF. It is the weapon you want at your side, not the AR.

Proof. Fast forward to 2:00 if you can't stand the wait:
Old 10-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Why do you think an AR wouldn't run after a dirt nap followed by cleaning and oil?

Aluminum actually does pretty well corrosion wise...

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 10-08-2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
The thing is I really want a foward assist and a dust cover on my rifle. I want the forward assist so if SHTF ever happened and I was defending my life and had a jam I could just hit it and be back in the fight...
Forward assist will not help you in case of a jam...
Forward assist is used to forcing action to close when the weapon is out of battery.
It has nothing to do with Type I, II or III malfunction nor jam.

You can always pull the bolt to close the action or use the thumb to push it. It is really not necessary to have a forward assist. (most firearms don't have one anyway)
Old 10-08-2012, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The best reason I've heard for a forward assist is to silently charge your rifle before you take a shot while hunting.

The theory being that if you ride the charging handle home, you need the forward assist to make sure the bolt is locked and the carrier is not blocking the firing pin.

You might be able to thumb your carrier for that but the forward assist button let's you do it without changing your grip.

So a forward assist isn't entirely useless.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Old 10-08-2012, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Dont shoot it if the wind is blowing SE, or on a full moon.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-08-2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
The best reason I've heard for a forward assist is to silently charge your rifle before you take a shot while hunting.

The theory being that if you ride the charging handle home, you need the forward assist to make sure the bolt is locked and the carrier is not blocking the firing pin.

You might be able to thumb your carrier for that but the forward assist button let's you do it without changing your grip.

So a forward assist isn't entirely useless.
It's not entirely useless, but not necessary either.
and surely not something that clears a jam
Old 10-08-2012, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

It won't cause a jam either.

Given a choice between an upper without a dust cover, forward assist and shell deflector and a standard M4 style, I'll take the M4 on a SHTF rifle.

I do have three uppers without forward assist, one a MEGA billet side charger, one ASA side charger and one Les Baer flat top with shell deflector and dust cover for a Colt LMG replica (because forward assist makes zero sense on an open bolt machine gun).

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Old 10-08-2012, 6:04 PM

The rifle is the cheapest thing you will buy. After you total up a years worth of ammo $1000-$1500 for a quality AR really isn't that much. My advice is don't skimp on the hardware.

I am aware that there are people who are able to build their own quality ARs for $600-$700 after shopping around and knowing where to cut costs and where not to. My post is for people who are not so familiar with the weapon.
Old 10-08-2012, 6:39 PM

I've been running steel in my PSA without issue. It's zinc plated MFS.