Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-10-2012, 6:50 AM

Default 2012 Central California IDPA Sanctioned Regional match in Winton

Midvalley Defensive Shooters will be hosting the 2012 Central California Regional Championship match in Winton, CA on September 23. This will be a sanctioned match. There will be a 10 challenging stages with total round count of 121. The cost is $60 including lunch. This year we doubled the number of shooting bays from 3 to 6 which will really give us the flexablilty to have great stages. For more info, check out the website: http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/h..._regional.html. Here is the entry form: http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/2...e_Regional.pdf. Disregard the staff selection box, those spots have already been filled.

Last day to enter is Sept. 9, so get them in ASAP!

Last edited by aznglocker; 08-29-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 07-31-2012, 9:23 AM

This is an excellent club and match! The stages are designed by an IDPA Master shooter. The stages are straight-forward, yet challenging. This club also puts a lot of effort into stage props for the extra "wow factor." This year they even have a facade of a coffee shop!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM

A slight change with the stages. Instead of 11, there will be 10. The round count will still be the same, 121.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:51 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

If you are a NorCal IDPA shooter, this will be a match worth considering. Winton puts on very good matches, so I have faith that this is going to be a great match.

From their website:

Quote:
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
2012 IDPA REGIONAL MATCH

Midvalley Defensive Shooters will be hosting the 2012 Sanctioned Central California Regional IDPA Championship match on September 23rd. We will have 11 exciting stages that will test your handgun skills to the fullest. Match fees are $60 and will include a sandwich lunch and event dog tag. To keep cost to a minimum there will be no prize table or raffle. All trophies will be awarded according to IDPA rules. New this year will be the use of the additional 3 bays that were constructed earlier in the year. This gives us the ability to really expand the number of stages we can do. Stage construction will start on the 20th through the 21st. Staff will shoot on the 22nd and the main match on the 23rd. All competitors must be current IDPA members with a classification of Marksman or higher. It is the shooter’s responsibility that their gear must be compliant and have an understanding of the current IDPA rulebook. We hope can join us to take part in this safe and fun event.

MATCH SCHEDULE

9-20 Thursday & 9-21 Friday - Stage Setup

9-22 Saturday - Staff Shoot

All SO’s & Staff:
Please be aware to provide your own Lunch on Saturday, and on Sunday you will receive your sandwich.

7:00 - 8:00 Final stage refinement and registration
8:00 Walkthrough
8:30 Match Begins
12:00 Lunch break, early registration begins for competitors
12:30 - 4:00 Match resumes

9-23 Sunday - Competitor Shoot

7:30- Registration open
8:30- Shooters meeting
8:45- Match begins
12:00- Lunch break
12:30-4:30 Match continues
5:00- Awards ceremony
Old 08-27-2012, 9:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

We had a great time shooting it last year. I am not sure why they scheduled it for the same day Phineas and Ferb were going to be in Fresno. Bad timing on their part and probably the reason it won't fill up. That is why I can't go.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 08-28-2012, 3:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

OP...you need to change this thread title to reflect that it is an IDPA regional match.

Also, your match page (http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/h..._regional.html) doesn't have a link to the match application (http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/2...e_Regional.pdf)

Gryff
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Tick...Tock... just a reminder, 9/9 deadline is getting near....get your apps in.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Four days are left.
Old 09-10-2012, 6:17 AM

We are extending the deadline to 9/17. Please, don't wait until the very last minute, we still need time to complete the final details.
Old 09-10-2012, 5:21 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

This is going to be a fun match. I like that the cost is really not that much more than a regular local match.
Old 09-10-2012, 5:40 PM

Match applications links above not working. lets try

this one---> http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/2...Regional_2.pdf
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 PM

Stages descriptions are on the website. Click on the link to open the file.
Old 09-13-2012, 8:06 PM

2 round stages? Really? In a sanctioned match?
Old 09-14-2012, 5:04 PM

Smile 2 Round Stage?

There is one 2 round stage in the entire match. If a shooter has physical limitations, he/she may find that stage to be quite challenging. BTW, it is Vickers count so shooters may feel free to satisfy themselves with impunity. I suspect that it will be more than a two round stage for more than a few. There are a range of skills possessed by Master to Marksman shooters. The match promises to have something for all shooter levels.

To me, IDPA stages differ, in some ways, from ISPC/USPSA stages by the goals for each stage. Two good shots in a rescue scenario from an awkward position in the shortest time seems a valid test - at least to me. I remember doing a night shoot once where one of the most challenging and enjoyable stages was one shot at ~14 yards on a five inch plate that was partly covered by a no shoot. The stage winner was right around one second. Everyone cheered.

When I reviewed the Winton stages, it seemed that a shooter will need to demonstrate a range of defensive skills in light of the following:

Shooter Start Positions:
Standing
Seated in chair
Kneeling with hands on ground
Seated in truck
Back to target with hands up
Both hands on lawnmower 90 degrees to stage

Pistol Start Locations:
On ground mat
In holster - standing
In holster - seated
On top of truck dashboard
On table

Draw Strokes:
Draw on move
Draw while turning 180 degrees
Draw while standing in place
Draw while seated
Draw while turning 90 degrees

Shooting Positions:
While on the move
Around Doors
Through Windows
Around Corners
Out of truck windows
Between truck frame and open truck door window
Prone through low port
From Retention
From knees
While seated
While standing
Around a truck bed

Types of Moving Targets/No Shoots:
Turners
Falling
Momentary Pop UPs
Rising to stop
Metal Poppers
Rushing Toward Shooter
Sweeping

Concealment and no concealment stages.

Strong and weak hand stages

In essence, the match promises to test a range of practical defensive skills. There is still time to practice up unless you are the most accomplished Master class shooter. For the rest of us, there may be work to do between now and match time.

With extended registration, it appears there are 3 days left.

Last edited by Awedtone; 09-14-2012 at 5:50 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Some of the retention shots look very interesting...I want to see if anyone gets DQ'd.

There is a stage which is deceptively tricky...especially for folks who also shoot USPSA...I'm really looking forward to it
Old 09-16-2012, 5:56 PM

Here's the last bump for registration. There is one day left. I stated earlier that registration was extended to September 16th but it was actually September 17th.

Looking over the competitor list shows an interesting collection of SSP Master class shooters. In that classification, we have one current IDPA World champ against the first place Master Class finisher at the Idaho State Championship versus a former Top Shot competitor versus some of the Sharpshooters and Experts who often win the SSP matches.

It promises to be a good match for the unofficial overall spot as well. There are quite a few accomplished shooters set to compete.

There are also well-intentioned hackers like me who are just moving along in the sport. Comradre in competition is something all shooters can certainly share. If you seek an overall good-natured match, this one's for you.

There is one day left for registration.
Old 09-20-2012, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll be coming down from Nevada to shoot this one... Sounds like I'll going to get my butt handed to me!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

How'd the match go guys? I ended up having to stay local... We had a fire that was awful close to in-laws.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I thought it was a great match, and I can confidently say that I have more than a little experience with sanctioned matches. The River Oaks Range is somewhat small in total space, but they use it well in terms of the bays, and...even better...they designed very challenging stages within the space limitations.

Weather got quite warm in the afternoon, but fortunately, there weren't a huge number of shooters to process through the stages, so nobody had to sit in the heat waiting for their squad's turn to shoot. There were only 60ish total shooters at this match, but in no way does that reflect the quality of the event.

Room for improvement: Printed shooter/match books, bottled water instead of well water, roving water cart, little more consolidation of online info for match details/app/schedule/shooter list. None of these are deal breakers for me, though, especially if the match isn't a $100/registration affair.

Kudos to the Allen and the folks from Winton. I'll definitely go back for any sanctioned match they hold in the future.

P.S. Whoever designed Stage 6...I want to meet you in a dark alley sometime soon. I can't think of a time I've ever had an FTN and a Hit on Non-Threat on the same stage, let alone the same target array. Evil.

Last edited by Gryff; 09-24-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I knew there was something I was forgetting, I was hoping to meet you at the match.

I'll make sure to have someone point you out at SacValley in a couple of weeks.

All the tougher shots I was worried about, I shot pretty well. Most of the normal shots I usually shoot clean...not so much. As one of my squad mates observed, "Did you just leave all your focus on the hard shot?"...but they did give me style points

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 09-24-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 2:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
I knew there was something I was forgetting, I was hoping to meet you at the match.

I'll make sure to have someone point you out at SacValley in a couple of weeks.
If you went through the weapon inspection before the start of the match, then you met me.
Old 09-24-2012, 5:12 PM

Default The mystery Gryff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If you went through the weapon inspection before the start of the match, then you met me.
I did not realize you were "Gryff" when I met Jim. I wanted to see how many Sigforum folks were there. Thank you for contributing expertise to our event. I thought you and others brought a good spirit to the match. Robert, Cindy, Chad, John and others from outside the area have joined us before.

Thank you, also, for posting the action pistol event schedule on so many sites each month. I like looking to a single thread for the information. Thanks for getting out word about the match.

Last edited by Awedtone; 09-24-2012 at 5:26 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 5:25 PM

Default Complaint Department

Quote:
P.S. Whoever designed Stage 6...I want to meet you in a dark alley sometime soon. I can't think of a time I've ever had an FTN and a Hit on Non-Threat on the same stage, let alone the same target array. Evil.
Your question has been referred to our complaint department. Please step into the safe area so "Leroy Brown" can discuss your issue until he is fully satisfied. The buffalo seem to like a little sport between meals.

Old 09-24-2012, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
well, then I did.

I was the older Chinese guy, shooting the ESP M&P (you commented on the nice trigger), wearing the Domo hat

Old 09-24-2012, 6:45 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
well, then I did.

I was the older Chinese guy, shooting the ESP M&P (you commented on the nice trigger), wearing the Domo hat

OK, the hat pegs it. I remember running you through Stage 7 (and that I didn't know who Domo was).
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Default Photos

One of the photographers called last night. The pictures should be available within a couple of weeks. For those who may have tried the live fire sim after the match, here is a LQ pic from Sunday. I only have a few LQ samples so far.

I am informed that there is a lot of flying brass in the match photos. There is one photo of 9mmepiphany with brass in the air and spaced about 2" apart. I have only seen some rough thumbnails but there are many good pics. We'll post a link on the SFSA site and provide information through other threads such as this when they are ready.

Last edited by Awedtone; 09-25-2012 at 1:04 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
That reminds me...if you ever have a couple free minutes, would you mind PMing me on what you did to your M&P trigger (or who did the work). An M&P Pro is my next purchase (I need an SSP gun), and I want to do the right trigger work to it to get it ready for competition. You trigger was definitely fantastic, and would love to get the same result on my (eventual) gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awedtone View Post
I did not realize you were "Gryff" when I met Jim. I wanted to see how many Sigforum folks were there. Thank you for contributing expertise to our event. I thought you and others brought a good spirit to the match. Robert, Cindy, Chad, John and others from outside the area have joined us before.

Thank you, also, for posting the action pistol event schedule on so many sites each month. I like looking to a single thread for the information. Thanks for getting out word about the match.
Happy to help online and in person!
Old 09-25-2012, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Be happy to.

Composing now
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM

Even though I had problems with a slidelock, it was a great match!
My favorite was Stage 5 with a real truck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKmDG...re=context-cha
Old 09-28-2012, 7:45 PM

Great match folks. There were challenging stage designs that tested a variety of gun handling skills and various levels of shooters. Very innovative. The match staff was first class, friendly, helpful and informative. Makes a big difference when it is hotter than heck outside. The event seemed to flow very nice without squads waiting around to shoot. Good range lunch and thanks for keeping the cost of the match down to a very reasonable level ! I'll diffidently return to shoot at the the River Oaks Range venue again first chance I get. Nice job to the Midvalley Defensive Shooters Assoc. Great IDPA club.

Last edited by RAF; 09-28-2012 at 9:01 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 7:48 PM

Some of the pictures have started to come in. Here is 9mmepiphany slingin' some brass on Stage 6.

Old 10-01-2012, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

That is a great picture, I wish someone had told me my hair looked like that

It is pretty amazing that the photograph caught both cases in the air from the first pop-up target (at 12 yards) while I'm transitioning to engage the other pop-up beside it
Old 10-02-2012, 7:13 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awedtone View Post
Some of the pictures have started to come in. Here is 9mmepiphany slingin' some brass on Stage 6.

Screw the hair. That's a personal highlight reel-quality pic.

Will the pics from the photographers be available for review anywhere?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Default Photo Availability

Quote:
Will the pics from the photographers be available for review anywhere?
The photographers are still processing the photos. They will all be posted on their photography portal. Low quality photos such as I have been posting in this thread will be available for free.

There will also be a high quality gallery where a person can crop, edit and adjust the pictures to have items, mugs, calendars and all manner of stuff printed with any of the photos. Just plain high quality pictures will be available on many types of paper for any who might be interested. The price for prints would, I believe, be similar to Costco.

The idea is to make make pictures available for viewing or download from a central source at NO cost. As you can see here, the low quality photos aren't that bad. The higher quality photos have more detail and could be chosen as anyone sees fit . . . but there would be a cost. If someone just needed a HQ electronic version, some arrangements could possibly be made but we do not wish to burden the photographers.

BTW, the same photographers will be back at SFSA for our three gun competition on October 20th. So, more photos are in the works for those seeking some three gun pics.

Here is some revolver action from stage 5. Again, this is an example of the lower quality photo setting that are email and post friendly. I will let everyone know more once everything is all set. We will also have information on the SFSA site.

Last edited by Awedtone; 10-03-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 7:04 PM

Here are some more photos.

This is Edward Reyna receiving top honors from our match director. He had the lowest score overall and won Master class SSP. He was first in accuracy, won 6 of the 10 stages and is a Junior shooter. Good job! Ah . . . youth.

Here is Stanley Gardner, 5.11 Tactical's Director of Retail Operations. Not only did he pull together 5.11's sponsorship, he fired up his P226 and launched some brass - here on Stage 4.

Here is a past California State Champion proving that a certain pistol doesn't always plant brass in the shooter's forehead.

Here is Gryff collecting his First place finish in CDP Expert. He did some fine shooting during the event - just edging out another fine shooter, Steve Porter.

In a few days, the Sacramento Regional will give a lot of the same shooters another chance, and hopefully, another enjoyable day of competition.

Last edited by Awedtone; 10-04-2012 at 9:46 PM.. Reason: I corrected Stanley's title at 5.11.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Default 230 Photos for Review/Download This weekend

There are about 230 photos from the Regional. They will be available for full size view and download starting this weekend. I will post the site address then. The photos are close to being loaded to the site and I have to say that there are many, many good pics of staff, visitors and competitors.

There was a thread not too long ago about why shooters prefer IDPA or USPSA. My answer is found in the friendships and warm competitive spirit of my fellow shooters. We like to run a good natured match around here and I can safely say that I have never been disappointed. The following photos capture the vibe of why I think many folks come back.

Again, I hope to get the link posted this weekend.

Last edited by Awedtone; 10-05-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 5:49 PM

Default PHOTO LINK

If you would like to view or download any or all of the photos, you may do so at this PHOTO PAGE. The high quality photos are uploading slower than anticipated. Rather than make everyone wait any longer, the free lower quality versions are available now.

The high quality photos can print a poster up to 20” by 30” with great detail. The HQ print products are run through a lab but they have prices that are preset. The photographers manually reset prices for us so as to bring such products way down in price. However, it may be that a few people will wish to pay for the HQ materials. If you look at the lower quality photos for email, Facebook or easy transfer but would like to consider other print/product options, your HQ photo will be available soon. The rest of the high quality photos should be loaded to the site by next weekend. Even so, all the photos are represented in the material that is up now.

There are many shooters in the photos with brass or action underway. There are also candid shots mixed in so if you had a friend or relative there, you may find some pictures of them as well.

Once on the PHOTO PAGE, you will see a choice of selecting the “FREE Download” folder or the “Print and Products” folder. For the free photos, select the photos you like, follow the check-out procedures (notice the cost is set to zero) and you will receive an email that permits you to access a download page that will transfer the photos directly to your hard drive.

Our IDPA matches are on the third Saturday of each month. This month it is a three-gun match on October 20th. Feel free to join us for this or any of our other events. We hope to host another sanctioned match sometime next year.