Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-02-2012, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default Which inexpensive bullet feeder to use on a dillon 550?

Just for fun, I wanted to play with a bullet feeder for my 550b. I saw this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=468400 and figured it would work, but I would have to cut out the seperate factory crimp die. Then online I saw this http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/8233 and wondered how difficult it would be to get working, and what all I would need to connect it. Does anyone have any experience or tried something else? And please no "Get a 650 or 1050 and buy a 300-400$ bullet feeder as well as a case feeder". It is just not the right time for me to upgrade and I reload too many calibers to be able to afford the press and all the conversion kits.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 10-02-2012, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would use the 28 dollar one, I heard the lee one is finicky even on the lee presses.
Old 10-02-2012, 9:37 AM

I use the 28 dollar one on my 550 and it works great with 9 and 40. I don't do more then remove the bell on the case so I was not really using the factory crimp die.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

My XL650 is fast enough without the bullet feeder. The faster you go, the more likely you are to make mistakes.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I had also considered it, then realized I still had to drop all the bullets into the tube. For me, the bullet loading isn't the PITA, it's the case loading because you have to take your hand off the press handle to do it. Also, I like to look peek inside the case before seating the bullet on it to make sure it's not a squib or double charge.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
I had also considered it, then realized I still had to drop all the bullets into the tube. For me, the bullet loading isn't the PITA, it's the case loading because you have to take your hand off the press handle to do it. Also, I like to look peek inside the case before seating the bullet on it to make sure it's not a squib or double charge.
That's why they make case feeders and an XL650
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
+1

Exactly...
Old 10-02-2012, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
+1 too. I would much rather have a case feeder. But its not super time consuming. I think the most time consuming is looking into the cases for the charges and filling the primer tubes.
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...:D
Old 10-02-2012, 1:52 PM

I've gotten used to looking in the case under the el cheapo bullet feeder before I throw the lever to check for powder. It's pretty easy with my 9 load because its full enough to see easily and will overflow if it gets a double charge.

I do agree though, that a case feeder would be more beneficial with the Dillon where you have to take your hand off the lever to load a case.

Does anyone know of a case feeder that works reliably that doesn't cost as much as a new press?

Some people call me frugal, but im really just cheap.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM

I am not sure what the whole mentality is about trying to load the most bullets in the most amount of time.

Yes, I have a progressive.. (XL650) and yes I have a case feeder. And, yes I could try and get down and load 1000 rounds in a hour or whatever, but I don't. I take my time, relax. I mean, when you go to the range, do you just start shooting as fast as you can because you want to pull the trigger and let off 10rounds in 4 seconds? No, you take you time and practice. I feel the same with reloading. Take your time. I mean, so what if you load 500 instead of 600.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post
I am not sure what the whole mentality is about trying to load the most bullets in the most amount of time.

Yes, I have a progressive.. (XL650) and yes I have a case feeder. And, yes I could try and get down and load 1000 rounds in a hour or whatever, but I don't. I take my time, relax. I mean, when you go to the range, do you just start shooting as fast as you can because you want to pull the trigger and let off 10rounds in 4 seconds? No, you take you time and practice. I feel the same with reloading. Take your time. I mean, so what if you load 500 instead of 600.

Well said.

I think adding a bullet feeder might end up being more of a pain in the butt than helpful.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post

great mentality. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...:D
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For me, all the gadgets and stuff are NOT about making the most rounds as fast as you can, it's more about convenience and EFFICIENCY of movements.

Seriously, a single stage requires so much case handling that it's monotonous and inefficient. I have one, but I think a turret press is head and shoulders above it for efficiency. Hand the case ONCE, to put it into the press. Pull the hand a bunch of times without taking your hand off of it, and a new round pops out the back end. That's pretty efficient. A progressive is even better in that you "pipeline" the rounds.

The casefeeder would be awesome, but I don't load so much that it bugs me that I don't have it. It is annoying to have to twiddle with the case to orient it vertically though, while simultaneously grabbing (and orienting) a bullet with the left hand.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

I have a dillon case feeder on my 550. It really sped things up, but it wasn't cheap. There are also some drawbacks. I now size riffle brass on a single stage and prime separately so that I can feed my rifle brass into station 2 of the 550, which eliminates the need to take the press completely apart to remove the case feeder (pretty much necessary to load rifle brass.

I also have a Mr. Bulletfeeder on my 1050. It really makes the operation smoother and easier. It helped the speed a bit, but the best thing was to not fumble with hard to handle bullets any longer. I use this press for 9mm. My dad has arthritis in his hands and has a problem holding and flipping hundreds of bullets when loading. He much prefers the bullet feeder.