Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Magnum Research 17 HMR

I know of the problems MR semi autos have in 17 HMR. Is the 17 HMR unusable in the MR semi auto?

I bought a used one today for a low price (no blood on the stock ) and am wondering what the heck to do with it. Will MR refit it with a 22 WMR barrel? Can I buy a 22 WMR barrel and switch it out on my own? I don't particularly care whether the gun ends up as a 17 HMR or a 22 WMR. If the gun can be used as is I'd just as soon keep it that way. On the other hand, I shoot lefty and really don't want to worry about the 17's case head blowing out.

I plan on using a Hornet single stage trigger group on the rifle.

Aside from Midway, Brownells and Grafs any suggestions on where to buy barrels and stocks?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 AM

I believe there was a recall for it. I think that MR will offer free re-chambering to 22WMR. You should contact MR for details.
It seems that when the head blows out it will damage magazine at the same time.

You can correct my spelling and grammar error anytime.
I welcome it. How else would I learn.
Old 09-30-2012, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've read about the recall and have contacted MR, we'll see what they are able to do or tell me. In the meantime I've ordered a brown laminated Revolution stock in lefty and a few parts.

I'm wondering if anyone uses the MR semi in 17 HMR?
Old 10-01-2012, 8:28 PM

I am sure people still do but pretty much every company has recalled there 10/22 designs that were chambered for 17 HMR. And I believe there was good reason behind it. The only company that still makes an semi HMR is Volquartsen, I have one and love it.

The major difference is they added a ton of weight to the bolt to slow it down. I believe they make it out of toll steel is is close to 450g where the stock 10/22 bolt might weigh 250g.

There are a few of people over on Rimfire central, that have successfully got HMR to fire from there MR and Ruger Magnum guns. Using various methods to increase the weight of the bolt. Like oversized tungsten cocking levers.

Think they can be made to fire safely but not without modification.

Sadly too many companies jumped onto the HMR bandwagon without doing research and now no company will touch semi HMR's for fear of an lawsuit.
Old 10-02-2012, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
I am sure people still do but pretty much every company has recalled there 10/22 designs that were chambered for 17 HMR. And I believe there was good reason behind it. The only company that still makes an semi HMR is Volquartsen, I have one and love it.

The major difference is they added a ton of weight to the bolt to slow it down. I believe they make it out of toll steel is is close to 450g where the stock 10/22 bolt might weigh 250g.

There are a few of people over on Rimfire central, that have successfully got HMR to fire from there MR and Ruger Magnum guns. Using various methods to increase the weight of the bolt. Like oversized tungsten cocking levers.

Think they can be made to fire safely but not without modification.

Sadly too many companies jumped onto the HMR bandwagon without doing research and now no company will touch semi HMR's for fear of an lawsuit.
I see that Wilson makes a tungsten cocking piece, it's intended for the 22 lr to Mach 2 conversion but I'd wonder if it has an application on 17 HMR.

I like the 22 WMR, but I believe the 17 HMR has better accuracy. If it's possible to keep the MR as a 17 HMR I'd like to. MR has already contacted me and said "ship it, we'll convert it for free" so that's fine. Still, doing the 10 day CA wait only to pick it up, ship it off for another two weeks - kind of a drag waiting for the toy.

BTW, if you like Volquartsen rimfires their Evolution in 223 or 204 is a great "next step". Looks like the 10/22 on steroids, shoots great too.