Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 6:19 PM

Default Savannah Shotgun?

I have been a little frustrated looking for a shotgun to shoot trap and skeet. I have discovered that even though my husband and I are close to the same height, his shotgun is way way to long of a reach for me. I feel like a kid with her Dad's shotgun. I would like a semi auto 12 gauge. I have a longer neck (not stubby like dear hubby) so I would like a short stock (almost youth) that is higher in the comb. I would like a 28 inch barrel. I didn't want to spend a fortune because I have purchased five different weapons in four months time. I am gun poor right now and Christmas is coming. I have concluded that in the lower price that my choice is a Weatherby SA-08 and getting the stock shaved down by a gunsmith. Or, a Winchester SX3 and get the stock altered. I tried a Remmington, but it was just flat heavy. In a higher price I found a Benelli Vinci and I would have to pay for a shorter stock.

Is there anything out there that is 12 gauge for women without all the alterations? Anyone have any other ideas?

Went up to Hoffmyers today in Grass Valley (great place and very helpful but you gotta know where your going to find it). I can get about anything from them at a pretty good price. So I am looking for ideas.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 09-29-2012, 6:28 PM

For Riley we were recommended a bantam stock v youth stock. I haven't had time to research it but I think(THINK!) that it is somewhere in the middle of youth and adult? We are probably picking him one up for Christmas but with him being so small at his age, he's gonna need something smaller and we'll be "trying them on" LOL I love the Grass Valley/Nevada City area. We used to have a membership to Harmony Ridge up there above Nevada City.
Old 10-02-2012, 7:51 AM

Savannah, we are looking at this one for Riley. I don't want to put too much money in to getting him one but this looks to be what we are getting for him and it is adjustable too.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=94534
Old 10-02-2012, 7:58 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i'm liking that one, Bug! might be a contender for me and my short, round frame......

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
i'm liking that one, Bug! might be a contender for me and my short, round frame......
Yeah we are ordering it now. LOL So impatient I am.... Told Ri that it is his Christmas present and he is one happy boy! Now if I can just convince my husband that I need that Sig for Christmas....LOL Once we get it, I will report on it since I am short and round too! Our other Mossberg is 7-8lbs and seems unbalanced even at it's shortest length.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

yes, please let me know what you think of it!
and if you can get it past Riley, a range report would be nice, too.......

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Will do! I don't care for the one we have, it is too long(41in) and at the risk of sounding like a high school science geek(LOL) the fulcrum is in the wrong place and does not "balance" if that makes sense? My arms are not long enough to hold the barrel to where it does not tip down.
Old 10-02-2012, 6:02 PM

I found mine today and it is being shipped to my FFL. They don't make them anymore but it has an adjustable comb and stock. I wanted a 12 gauge and this is the only one I could find that fit the bill. This seller just called Beretta and he bought all 34 shotguns they had left. I told him to find me a pretty one!

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ber...n_id=100264672

Old 10-04-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I have been a little frustrated looking for a shotgun to shoot trap and skeet. I have discovered that even though my husband and I are close to the same height, his shotgun is way way to long of a reach for me. I feel like a kid with her Dad's shotgun. I would like a semi auto 12 gauge. I have a longer neck (not stubby like dear hubby) so I would like a short stock (almost youth) that is higher in the comb. I would like a 28 inch barrel. I didn't want to spend a fortune because I have purchased five different weapons in four months time. I am gun poor right now and Christmas is coming. I have concluded that in the lower price that my choice is a Weatherby SA-08 and getting the stock shaved down by a gunsmith. Or, a Winchester SX3 and get the stock altered. I tried a Remmington, but it was just flat heavy. In a higher price I found a Benelli Vinci and I would have to pay for a shorter stock.

Is there anything out there that is 12 gauge for women without all the alterations? Anyone have any other ideas?

Went up to Hoffmyers today in Grass Valley (great place and very helpful but you gotta know where your going to find it). I can get about anything from them at a pretty good price. So I am looking for ideas.
I don't use my 870 for T&S, but I do have shorter reach as well, I have new Magpul FDE 870 furniture, makes it a bit shorter. This mind you went on a bargain turners/big5 wooded t&s/hunting shotgun lol. That was $225 not long ago. Got a shorter barrel online, added elzetta barrel/tubemag mount with a surefire fury. sling, and a side saddle and its still a cheap build for run and gun practices and home defense.

The furniture looks a bit starship trooper lol. but got over design appearance quickly when went out to do shakedowns and see how the gun performed. Was perfect.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 PM

I don't know if I am still allowed here as a guy, but I have heard really great things about the beretta 3901. it is basically their basic, no frills model. I used to be really into trap and would shoot about 4 rounds a weekend, I found that the only thing that was important was gun-fit. So I would suggest spending more money on a little custom stock work and forget a whole lot about a fancy gun. I recently saw a guy on the trap range with a 5 grand side by side and he got a pretty low score, nothing wrong with that especially because he was having fun, but I found it funny he spent that much on his first trap gun. The stock also looked to have a pretty short LOP for a guy his height.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM

Of course you're allowed, McMike. All gentlemen who are civil are welcomed.

I took the approach you suggested, bought a midrange trap gun based on a gunsmith's recommendations on fit, caliber and mechanism. Then the same gunsmith custom-cut my stock, adding a recoil pad. Whole gunsmith fee was $ 70. Money well spent. After a year with it, I'll consider another gun if I need it. So far, I'm very happy with it.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 10-06-2012, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikeblues7 View Post
I don't know if I am still allowed here as a guy, but I have heard really great things about the beretta 3901. it is basically their basic, no frills model. I used to be really into trap and would shoot about 4 rounds a weekend, I found that the only thing that was important was gun-fit. So I would suggest spending more money on a little custom stock work and forget a whole lot about a fancy gun. I recently saw a guy on the trap range with a 5 grand side by side and he got a pretty low score, nothing wrong with that especially because he was having fun, but I found it funny he spent that much on his first trap gun. The stock also looked to have a pretty short LOP for a guy his height.
Thanks Mike, I think this sweet little shotgun will fit me well, without breaking the bank. If I ever find I want a better one ( doubt it), there are tons of youngsters in the family that will enjoy it. This one is adjustable up to a regular sized stock so just about anyone could fit it. Why Beretta stopped making them is a million dollar question. The guy I bought mine from cleaners out the warehouse at Beretta. He said he could sell them all day long.

Your right, five grand wont make you a better shooter. Just makes it less likely you can afford ammo to shoot it!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM

When I was learning golf, I was in a beginner class with this huge guy who clearly had more money than brains. He bought the most expensive set of golf clubs ever, and then cursed the clubs when he drove past the cup onto the next fairway.

My little sister was getting on the green in two, and he was ready to kill her. Poor fool thought that golf clubs were baseball bats.

Mid range equipment that FITS is going to make you a better shooter than anything that doesn't fit.

(Savannah's new Beretta is out of jail next week, and I'm just green with envy... )
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.