Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Flash Hole Size

It appears I have some pistol brass with a slightly larger flash hole. Curiosity has got to me about using standard and magnum primers with this brass, to the point if there may be any ramifications in doing so. I have used magnum primers in other pistol calibers before, but all with standard size FH. So, my main concern now is with 9mm brass using either primers.
Old 10-29-2012, 1:00 PM

flash hole diameter, I have 45 ACP cases that use small pistol primers, all the 45 ACP cases that require small pistol primers have large diameter flash holes, all the 45 cases with large flash holes have head stamps that include ‘NT’, I do not load them, I could, I don’t.

I have a flash hole gage, from the old days, the tool is not something that is used everyday, but for those that measure before and again after and are wondering about the effect high pressure has on cases, the flash hole gage is a good place to start.

I acquired a few 45 ACP cases at the range, after punching the primers I turned all of them over and measured the diameter of the flash hole, the ‘NT’ cases allowed the gage to fall through. The large flash holes cases with small primers are are a night mare for commercial reloaders, the cases require separating first, then if the reloader decides to reload the small primer cases the equipment must be changed.

The primers are more user/environmentally friendly, as in without lead.

F. Guffey