Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Default LEOs involved in Vallejo Shooting

This hits home for me because I grew up in Vallejo most of my family still lives in Vallejo and my best friend and brother in law are both LEOs in surrounding communities. I reserve complete to a reaction until the investigation is finalized but I just can't believe the public reaction to this.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_...allejo-protest

I can't believe the way the supporters of the Mario Romero have painted him to be some sort of community leader and completely innocent. He was a parolee and confirmed gang member (although his sister will tell you different) out in the middle of the night sitting in a car. I am sure there will be some sort of video or audio released after the investigation but I do not understand how people can deny that he was a person with a proven track record, out in the middle of the night in an area where there were reports of shootings. Not like he was out there in the middle of the day in a suit walking to church.

Please show your support for these officers and don't buy into the hype, VPD has had a tough year with the loss of a good Officer Capoot earlier this year. Vallejo has always be a rough city to live in but in most recent year because of budget woes and cut backs it has gotten real bad. Be safe out there.

Last edited by brix; 09-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: change title
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oakland pd deals with this insanity all too often. Look at the shooting of that cop killer two years ago. Oakland pd found the guy locked in his girlfriends bedroom with an AK, they shot him 20 times or so and the trash in the community said it was an overkill.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

In mid sized cities and counties officer involved shootings always tend to come in bunches for some reason. We ran through a streak a few years back here in Sonoma County where there were something like a dozen OIS over a two year period, which is pretty significant in a county of <500K population and with a dozen or so different agencies policing it. Vallejo seems to be going through one of those streaks. Similarly to Oakland some elements in the 'community' are unwilling to accept the cause and look outward to blame government and it's authority, the police, for causing the young man's death.

It doesn't help, I am sure, that the bad guys probably feel somewhat emboldened in and around Vallejo given the resource contraction that VPD has undergone. In this latest case a reputed gang member on probation for a firearm violation is out on the road strapped with an airsoft. The upside for him is that he gets to be out perpetrating his trade and likely can skate a probation violation if since an airsoft is not a firearm.

The downside, for him and his buddy who got caught up in the crossfire, is that he forgot he had just an airsoft when the police took him on. As has been so often opined.... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The downside for the officers is that they have to live with having had to kill a guy simply because the guy was stupid.

Like most OIS, a needless tragedy at many levels and for all involved. The sooner that the good citizens of Vallejo wake up and smell that coffee, the sooner things will get better there.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

This is nothing new, nearly everyone who get killed by law enforcement was a pillar of the community, in the process of turning their life around, and they were a good father planning to go back to school and whatever else someone can dream up. The same things were said about lovelle mixon (may he rot in hell) in 2009 in Oakland.
Old 09-05-2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
In mid sized cities and counties officer involved shootings always tend to come in bunches for some reason. We ran through a streak a few years back here in Sonoma County where there were something like a dozen OIS over a two year period, which is pretty significant in a county of <500K population and with a dozen or so different agencies policing it. Vallejo seems to be going through one of those streaks. Similarly to Oakland some elements in the 'community' are unwilling to accept the cause and look outward to blame government and it's authority, the police, for causing the young man's death.

It doesn't help, I am sure, that the bad guys probably feel somewhat emboldened in and around Vallejo given the resource contraction that VPD has undergone. In this latest case a reputed gang member on probation for a firearm violation is out on the road strapped with an airsoft. The upside for him is that he gets to be out perpetrating his trade and likely can skate a probation violation if since an airsoft is not a firearm.

The downside, for him and his buddy who got caught up in the crossfire, is that he forgot he had just an airsoft when the police took him on. As has been so often opined.... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The downside for the officers is that they have to live with having had to kill a guy simply because the guy was stupid.

Like most OIS, a needless tragedy at many levels and for all involved. The sooner that the good citizens of Vallejo wake up and smell that coffee, the sooner things will get better there.
I've been out of Vallejo for about 15 years and even when I was growing up there it was pretty rough. One of my first experiences with a firearm was at at a local middle school playing basketball from a convicted felon who was drunk and wanted to prove a point. Now its declined even more. Vallejo even back then had one of the highest rates per capita in the state and at one time (maybe more) had the highest homicides per capita in CA.

I used to be able to take a drive at night and feel somewhat safe, as long as you avoided certain neighborhoods, but now it seems like its bad everywhere. The police force there is so stretched out that they can't even respond to things like break ins. As long as there is no immediate danger, they will make you file the report online (happened to my parents).

They lost a great officer and a true pillar of the community in James Capoot. I fear the citizens there are like the old analogy like 'pigs in poop'. Because its all they know they are happy in the crap that they are in that when you try to clean it up they get all pissy. I fear there is no end in sight for the situation in Vallejo especially since Mare Island is no longer there (Navy Base) to help the economy.
Old 09-05-2012, 5:40 PM

I can tell you Pepper drive is in Country Club Crest anb I will take any of you for a tour if you have the guts. This is an area that is owned by the gangs and is very dangerous. I don't know the circumstances of this shooting but 150 residences of Pepper drive I am betting 130 of them have a record of some kind.

This area started in the early 50's becausse then the practice of red lining areas was accepted. The only people in this community were minorities because realtors would not sell to them in the red lined districts of Vallejo. As the practice ended and equality came to be the good hard working folks moved from the area and integrated into the fibre of Vallejo. What was left was non law abiding people who endorsed the gangs and law less activities. Society made the problem and is now unwilling to face it and do something with it so they ignore the Crest unless they are forced to send in fire or police services and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

The prejudice of the 50's has not completely been erased and some day we will have to fix what we created.

Just my opinion Bill
Old 09-05-2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I can tell you Pepper drive is in Country Club Crest anb I will take any of you for a tour if you have the guts. This is an area that is owned by the gangs and is very dangerous. I don't know the circumstances of this shooting but 150 residences of Pepper drive I am betting 130 of them have a record of some kind.

This area started in the early 50's becausse then the practice of red lining areas was accepted. The only people in this community were minorities because realtors would not sell to them in the red lined districts of Vallejo. As the practice ended and equality came to be the good hard working folks moved from the area and integrated into the fibre of Vallejo. What was left was non law abiding people who endorsed the gangs and law less activities. Society made the problem and is now unwilling to face it and do something with it so they ignore the Crest unless they are forced to send in fire or police services and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

The prejudice of the 50's has not completely been erased and some day we will have to fix what we created.

Just my opinion Bill
Ah, someone who is familiar with Vallejo. The Crest is not too bad in the day time, but as soon as it gets dark its a different story. I do really want my parents to move out of Vallejo and my in laws too, who by the way just had their house burglarized about a month ago, but it is home.

There are now prostitutes out in the main streets and a ton of homeless that have spilled into the "better" parts of Vallejo.

I saw this a couple of months ago and had a little chuckle because I was thinking to myself that who ever put this video together has got some nads because they did not mention a lot of things about Vallejo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JLbGbWVIL4

I cant get the dumb thing to embed

Last edited by brix; 09-05-2012 at 6:06 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 8:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
"My brother never got out of the car. My brother was slumped over in that boy's lap," Martin said. "He caught bullets for that child (Johnson). He saved somebody's life while they was killing him."

"And," she scoffed, "they try to make him out to be some Ecstasy dope dealer. We got better drugs to sell."
Now that is funny!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

I was born here in Vallejo and have lived here for 35 of my 37 years. There are a lot of bad neighborhoods but no more than any other city. I still love Vallejo, it has a lot to offer.

But yes, you have to be vigilant.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes, I am sure the driver was slumped in that boys lap protecting him from bullets. Retards. I am currently getting my degree in criminal justice and it is amazing how hard it can be sometimes to implement the idea of Community Policing. Especially when these unfortunate things have to happen.
Old 09-07-2012, 8:11 AM

Community Policing doesnt exist on the streets of cities like Vallejo, its a classroom concept only.
Old 09-27-2012, 1:22 AM

I was Reserve with VPD years ago and it's one of the best departments in the State. Vallejo is a dangerous city and VPD handles their beat VERY WELL.

RIP 497

Semper Fi!

Old 10-03-2012, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
I was born here in Vallejo and have lived here for 35 of my 37 years. There are a lot of bad neighborhoods but no more than any other city. I still love Vallejo, it has a lot to offer.

But yes, you have to be vigilant.
I have to agree, it's still 'home' for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2