Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-05-2012, 5:18 PM

Default Shotgun with less recoil for my wife

I initially posted this in the shotgun forum, but it was suggested that I also post here.

We have an 870 that we originally bought for home defense. My wife doesn't like to fire it though because of the recoil. So I'm looking for a shotgun that we can use for home defense, maybe hunting in the future, and has less recoil. I'd like to stick with 12 gauge if possible.

I've read a little about the Remington 1100 and 11-87, both seem like decent options. I've also read about stocks that absorb more recoil than others. She's fairly small, about 5'3" and 120 lbs.

Any other options or suggestions that I should look into?
Old 07-05-2012, 7:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
I initially posted this in the shotgun forum, but it was suggested that I also post here.

We have an 870 that we originally bought for home defense. My wife doesn't like to fire it though because of the recoil. So I'm looking for a shotgun that we can use for home defense, maybe hunting in the future, and has less recoil. I'd like to stick with 12 gauge if possible.

I've read a little about the Remington 1100 and 11-87, both seem like decent options. I've also read about stocks that absorb more recoil than others. She's fairly small, about 5'3" and 120 lbs.

Any other options or suggestions that I should look into?
Any weapon platform has recoil, even a .22LR pistol. Learn how to shoot a shotgun correctly, ie, stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control, by taking shooting lessons. Beyond that a gas operated 20 gage is your best option.
Old 07-05-2012, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I saw this video on the Blackhawk SpecOps stock for the Remington 870.

I gotta get them pink shotgun rounds for my wifey.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 07-05-2012, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with both posters. Size has NOTHING to do with being able to handle recoil. You can use low recoil loads, but that can cause you to run into issues with autoloaders like the Remington's you listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 1:37 AM
Veteran Member

Default Shotguns.

I find my semi autos have about have the recoil of pump action guns.

I have the following:

Stoeger 12 guage with pistol grip
Benelli M1 with pistol grip
Saiga 12 converted to pistol grip

Also have a rem 870, has pistol grip, but not the spec ops stock.

I am not a great fan of shotguns for home defense, not because of the guns, but because few people will practice with shotguns for tactical situations.

I use buckshot and buckshot has significantly more recoil than birdshot.

Unless your wife is committed to becoming proficient with a shotgun, she may be better off with a handgun.

A 9mm or a 38special that your wife can handle is better than a 12 guage she can't handle.

Personally my home defense gun is a 45. Of course I have an assortment of shotguns I can access if the Colt won't do the job.

Nicki
Old 07-06-2012, 2:01 AM
Banned

If you insist on the shotgun, get the Mesa Tactical M4 recoil reducing stock set. It'll allow a better LOP for her while the pneumatic shock absorber cuts felt recoil. It's no substitute for better training, but can give her the confidence she needs to train better.
Old 07-06-2012, 2:21 AM

knox stock. Wife shoots it fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM

I also use the Knoxx stock(the version before Blackhawk bought it).

Works great
Old 07-06-2012, 6:46 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For my money it doesn't get any better than the Mesa tactical adapter w/ endine pneumatic piston.
Old 07-07-2012, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
If you insist on the shotgun, get the Mesa Tactical M4 recoil reducing stock set. It'll allow a better LOP for her while the pneumatic shock absorber cuts felt recoil. It's no substitute for better training, but can give her the confidence she needs to train better.
I wouldn't choose my shotgun for home defense, but I have a Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock on my Remington 870. Made a huge difference in my shotgun handling skills, because it reduced the LOP to twelve and a half inches. The limb saver butt pad that comes on it was enough recoil reduction for me - I've never tried the recoil stock kit so I can't compare it to the limb saver pad.

I will, however, echo that ability to handle recoil isn't about the shooter's size. Better ergonomics (shorter LOP) and a reduction in felt recoil certainly help with a smaller shooter's manipulations and tactics. However, better ergonomics must be paired with the right training and then followed by consistent training and drilling to be effective on the shotgun platform.
Old 07-07-2012, 4:47 PM

I put a slip-on gel recoil pad on my Mossberg 500 and it works like a charm. It was about $17 on Amazon.
Old 07-07-2012, 6:45 PM

Apart from basic ergonomic issues such as correct LoP and proper shooting form, have you tried Fiocchi LE-type shells? Those are deliberately underloaded for easier follow-up shots, and the recoil on those is MUCH easier to manage than regular ~1300fps shells.
Old 07-07-2012, 6:45 PM

Apart from basic ergonomic issues such as correct LoP and proper shooting form, have you tried Fiocchi LE-type shells? Those are deliberately underloaded for easier follow-up shots, and the recoil on those is MUCH easier to manage than regular ~1300fps shells.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Federal 250rd Low Recoil, LE ammo 9pellets. I am barely 5ft tall, dont weigh much, and I shoot them just fine. Its repetition and practice. A bit more gym time, strengthen up should help too. Blew off 25rd's then switched to cheaper fio rounds, after getting stronger went from using 9mm only to also 40. From avoiding my shotguns, to shooting them normally. Went from 90lbs to 112, muscle and leaning. Went from soft skin, to tight skinned and firm your wife just needs practice, and to grow a tolerance to the kick via training, as well gyming. Its what I suggest to EVERYONE I know, and after 60-90 hard gyming days, they aren't bothered by recoil/kick anymore. Just suggestion.

GL
Old 07-13-2012, 8:30 AM

Gas operated semi auto shotgun with Federeral Low recoil 00.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a huge believer in the FN SLP gas operated shottie...why not take every advantage?

But if you are determined to stay with a pump gun, I'd highly recommend the Vang Comp conversion paired with the Low Recoil ammo.

It has been a couple of years since the class, but there were attendees who came with all the various available stocks. We all got a chance to shoot each others guns and the Vang Comp was the clear winner in controlability in a pump gun, followed closely by ammo selection
Old 07-13-2012, 1:52 PM

Get her a Remington 1100 in 28 Gauge.
Very little kick My dainty wife loves Mine (Hers) and at self defense distances a load of #6 would make a huge hole in someone.
Old 07-14-2012, 7:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback ladies.
Old 08-03-2012, 1:59 PM

Hi Paradigm Well I am here to say as a girl that there is not one, unless she goes down to a 22 gauge or something but that is just pu~~y IMO. I am sorry but we have boobs and it just hurts there where the butt goes by your shoulder...unless you totally push it out to your arm, which means you will have NO accuracy, or use stockless...which I think is illegal in Cali....but which I got to shoot in NV So if it is just for her to make the loud bang, maybe, but otherwise, stick to the AR.
Old 08-03-2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cute2Shoot View Post
Hi Paradigm Well I am here to say as a girl that there is not one, unless she goes down to a 22 gauge or something but that is just pu~~y IMO. I am sorry but we have boobs and it just hurts there where the butt goes by your shoulder...unless you totally push it out to your arm, which means you will have NO accuracy, or use stockless...which I think is illegal in Cali....but which I got to shoot in NV So if it is just for her to make the loud bang, maybe, but otherwise, stick to the AR.
That's funny 2cute2shoot...I think every woman who has shot a shotgun knows your pain! There are pads out there that you can try...not to say that I've tried one, but I hear they absorb the recoil fairly well. There are also stocks specifically designed to reduce that feminine pain. Unless of course you are amazingly well endowed where there's just no room for the stock down there with all your ample woman-ness...trust me, I've seen it before! LOL
Old 08-04-2012, 7:47 AM

My wife is not a big girl 5'-4" 130lbs (give or take) she also is not someone who tolerates pain well, but she likes shooting clays. She started with my Mossberg pump 12ga and she thought the recoil was OK. So to improve things we got her a CZ 712 Semi-auto, now that she is use to shooting a 12ga she says there is little difference between the semi-auto and pump. I think it was just a matter of her getting use to shooting a shotgun. We shoot target loads only.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

As much as ppl like nice "light" guns.. the best thing you can do to dampen recoil is to use a heavier gun. I fire a nearly 10 pound 10 gauge and it doesn't feel any worse than my 7.5 pound 12 gauge when firing full power field loads. People like to carry really light (6-6.5 pound) guns in general, but the bad part is, it will hit your shoulder a lot harder than if you carry or use a gun that is about 1-2 pounds heavier. If you have one of those synthetic stock 870's, fill up the butt of the gun with lead shot. It's amazing how much a little weight will dampen felt recoil.
Old 08-05-2012, 8:40 PM

Remington makes low recoil slug and buck 12 gauge. It is very easy to shoot.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=202716

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...s.aspx?a=87937
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Remington 1100 20ga.

You already have HD covered with the 12 ga 870. Get something fun. The 1100 in 20 is sweet.

If you have access to a place you can use it...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137...ower-full-cock
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, thought you were wanting to make a trade . . .
Old 08-20-2012, 1:30 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Furn, that looks like lots of fun!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-22-2012, 7:53 PM

Ammo is Expensive though.

A Rossi Circuit Judge makes a wonderful revolving shotgun. Light and reliable.

The 4 pellet 000 Federal personal defense load is more than sufficient through the 18.5 inch barrel for Home Defense distances (<10 yards)
Old 08-22-2012, 7:56 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

bandook, i thought that particular rossi was illegal in california.........

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-29-2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
My wife doesn't like to fire it though because of the recoil. So I'm looking for a shotgun that we can use for home defense, maybe hunting in the future, and has less recoil.
Just purchased a 20-gauge, but haven't put any shot through it yet. I'm signing up for a semi-private class up at Oak Tree within the next month. The trouble, as I see it with shotguns, is the multitude of variables: gauge, personal fit, what's going down the barrel etc. Change one thing and everything changes. I'm looking forward to trying it, yet admit to having a bit of trepidation at the same time. I'm confident with the 9mm after lots of range time and the 5-hour class, as well as my 10/22 (and the instant gratification of hearing those steel targets ring), but this 20-gauge is a whole new ballgame.

Plus there are so many opinions out there of what shot to use. Some say no less than 00, some say Pheasant 8 is good enough and won't go flying through drywall should that be a concern.
Old 08-29-2012, 4:15 PM

Teach her proper form, get a recoil pad, and if all else fails, get her a 20 gauge.

Shot one of those for years as a scrawny, short teenage girl. Recoil didn't bother me until I outgrew the stock on it(shortened stock for shorter arms )
Old 08-29-2012, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The first thing to do is to get the gun fit to her. If the LOP is too long for her, she will never be able to shoulder it properly and will experience excessive perceived recoil. I'm 99% sure that this is what is happening. If she still has problems after the gun is professionally fitted to her, try some AA low recoil or AA extra low recoil loads. I'm willing to bet that all it's going to take is cutting the stock down for her and her learning how to properly shoulder and fire it. I've seen plenty of small preteen girls shoot 12Ges just fine once they are fitted to them.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 08-29-2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cute2Shoot View Post
As a female with a DD/E chest I'll tell you that I have 0 issues shouldering a 12 gauge. I also have 0 issues not letting my chest get in the way.
Old 08-29-2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
The first thing to do is to get the gun fit to her. If the LOP is too long for her, she will never be able to shoulder it properly and will experience excessive perceived recoil. I'm 99% sure that this is what is happening. If she still has problems after the gun is professionally fitted to her, try some AA low recoil or AA extra low recoil loads. I'm willing to bet that all it's going to take is cutting the stock down for her and her learning how to properly shoulder and fire it. I've seen plenty of small preteen girls shoot 12Ges just fine once they are fitted to them.
Probably would have worked with me too, but Dad had already got a 20.

Mmm... deer hunting with a break action 20 gauge shotgun. 3 inch slugs. Was the good old days. Was sad when we sold it because it didn't fit anymore.
Old 08-29-2012, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
As a female with a DD/E chest I'll tell you that I have 0 issues shouldering a 12 gauge. I also have 0 issues not letting my chest get in the way.
It sounds like 2C2S hasn't ever fired a shotgun that fits here. BTW, although I'm a male, I do know that no female should shoulder a long gun while wearing a bra strap with a front buckle. I've seen more than a few end up bleeding from front buckles.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 08-29-2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:
It sounds like 2C2S hasn't ever fired a shotgun that fits here. BTW, although I'm a male, I do know that no female should shoulder a long gun while wearing a bra strap with a front buckle. I've seen more than a few end up bleeding from front buckles.
I try to avoid those like the plague(and underwire in general.. ow). Even when I'm *not* shooting guns or doing anything with pressure on the area, I find them annoying at the least.

Underwire just ends up jabbing me in the armpit. Whomever the crap designed those needs shot with a rubber band shooter.
Old 08-29-2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Funny, I do it all the time...
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-29-2012, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Rem 870 Youth Stock in 20ga. LOP is better, 20ga. has good loads available, including slugs.

A rifled deer barrel would be the ticket.
Old 08-29-2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
This is good advice.

LOP definitely affects recoil, because if you are reaching for the trigger, you are not holding the stock firmly to your shoulder. (Just firmly, not a death grip).

When hold the stock to your shoulder correctly (touching firmly), the stock does not slam into your shoulder. It does push your shoulder back, but not that much. Like a push but not a punch.

If you know a gunsmith, get his ideas on fit. If you can get him to go to the gun store with you, better still.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-02-2012, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

* Consider a 20 gauge
* Get Low Recoil Rounds
* Get a Gel Pad
* Adjust LOP / Concerns / get properly fitted shotgun
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
hi sakiri well i don't have anywhere near DD's but it's not the actual boobs themselves...it is by where your ribs meet your shoulders that is where it hurts...which makes me wonder if u are really a girl....since most girls would kno that! It's not like i'm the only girl who has had this problem.. It is not the breast tissue per-say that is sore....

So maybe big boobs make it better to shoot a shotgun and i'm just not 'blessed' in that way! LOL!

and for all those who say i'm not shooting the 'proper' shotgun....i don't own one and have only ever shot my friends' ones before.....and I would NEVER buy a shotgun, because IMO, it is really a pointless gun. I mean of course it would kill somebody but it isn't really 'accurate' like how an AR is or a 1911!