Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-30-2016, 3:06 AM

Default Whats the weirdest thing you have been asked at the range?

The other day at the range, a friend and i were shooting our AR's. A few bays over we observed a gentleman and his girlfriend shooting what appeared to be a single shot AR. He kept pulling out the bcg and putting it back in. It appeared to be a standard AR, but with a silver lower (80%). He then approached me and asked if he could borrow the bcg out of my rifle, because he kept experiencing metal flaking coming out of his rifle. I politely declined, however we offered to take a look. His BCG looked fine, and his chamber did not appear to have any odd wear from what we could tell, however his 80% looked like it was milled out with the new Beaver Extreme 5000.

I was kind of caught off guard by him asking to borrow my bcg, especially after he admitted that he was experiencing metal shavings coming out of the ejection port. Anyway, I am just curious what the oddest thing you have ever been asked was.
Old 06-30-2016, 3:16 AM

Surprised the RO let him break down the rifle on the line like that.

Doesn't really fall under weird just clueless, but I have had someone ask me to show them how to load their handgun before, first they didn't have the mag all the way seated, then they kept riding the slide slowly forward which wouldn't load the round properly. After that I figured it was time to leave. I let the desk know on way out they might need some help in there.

Last edited by tnlrat37; 06-30-2016 at 3:22 AM..
Old 06-30-2016, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Surprised the RO let him break down the rifle on the line like that.

Doesn't really fall under weird just clueless, but I have had someone ask me to show them how to load their handgun before, first they didn't have the mag all the way seated, then they kept riding the slide slowly forward which wouldn't load the round properly. After that I figured it was time to leave. I let the desk know on way out they might need some help in there.
Outdoor range. He had the rifle pointed down range the entire time. As long as you are safe you can have a fair amount of freeplay to what you can do. There is an RO, but we all police each other well enough for the RO assistance to not be necessary much, if at all.
Old 06-30-2016, 3:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Is that so you can towel it?"

Once upon a time, in reference to the folding stock on my Mini-14.
(He was referring to hiding it under a towel, presumably for nefarious purposes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
He then approached me and asked if he could borrow the bcg out of my rifle, because he kept experiencing metal flaking coming out of his rifle.

I was kind of caught off guard by him asking to borrow my bcg, especially after he admitted that he was experiencing metal shavings coming out of the ejection port. Anyway, I am just curious what the oddest thing you have ever been asked was.
Just wondering, what did the metal flakes/shavings look like?

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 06-30-2016, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
"Is that so you can towel it?"

Once upon a time, in reference to the folding stock on my Mini-14.
(He was referring to hiding it under a towel, presumably for nefarious purposes.)

Just wondering, what did the metal flakes/shavings look like?
He had brushed them off the table onto the dirt. I didnt see any, i was just going off of his description. His 80% was so horribly chewed up i wouldnt be able to see where the wear would even be.
Old 06-30-2016, 4:25 AM
Veteran Member

"Do you like movies about gladiators?"

Old 06-30-2016, 4:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
"Do you like movies about gladiators?"
"Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 06-30-2016, 4:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
"Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"
Sounds like you've shot at the same range.

Old 06-30-2016, 4:51 AM
Calguns Addict

You ever…seen a grown man naked?
Old 06-30-2016, 4:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Yeah, I had a guy ask me that too, right after he asked me if I had ever been in a cockpit before. Weird . . .

Old 06-30-2016, 5:02 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't know. I wear my ear muffs at all times so I can't hear anyone at all...
Old 06-30-2016, 5:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I avoid the public range. Because I've been asked.."is that thing legal?"

from another gun owner.

The Stockholm Syndrome is even at California gun ranges.
If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws
Edward Abbey
Old 06-30-2016, 5:40 AM

Back when I was an RO, the question that probably caught me off guard the most was a woman asking " am I able to shoot if I'm pregnant?" I had to tell her to consult her Dr. not me..
"Skeet-shooting with prizes"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Hmmm do you think a Chesapeak Bay Retriever can haul a drone in? We may need to get bigger dogs?
Old 06-30-2016, 6:05 AM

Years ago a young man asked to shoot my 300 mag that I owned 30+ years ago . I let him and he offered his 30-30 . He was loading his rounds on the bench . He would fill to the top, pound in to the case . The neck would separate and the lever gun would scream like a Mag. I told him I think your loads are hot and declined to shoot it . This was at the Silverado Canyon range . I miss that range and the old days . 2$ to shoot , USMC range officer on duty .
Old 06-30-2016, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dude arrives at the range with his buddy. He is dressed in 511 gear, Beretta hearing protection, Beretta lanyard, paracord wrist band, completely ready to "go tactical". RO comes over to him to ask him to slide rearward the sandbag he is shooting his AR off of. Next string a different RO comes over to ask the same thing. Couple strings later first RO comes over to ask him to slide the sandbag back. At the end of the string he comes and ask "Why are they singling me out. They haven't even said one thing to you". Told him they are trying to do you a favor. When the sand bag is too far forward the muzzle is going to tear through the sandbag. You will have sand everywhere - on you, me and your buddy next to you, likely in the action of your AR. His reply "Oh how come they didn't tell me that".

After talking with this guy it was time to go.
Old 06-30-2016, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

"WOW is that a Contender?"

"No, It's a Ruger MKII."

"Hunny, come see this guys Contender."

Old 06-30-2016, 7:32 AM

A guy once asked me "Are tere hanges to the roster?"

At a local IE range, a guy seemed to take a bit more interest in my firearms than I was comfortable with, so I kept everything closed, locked and within a step of my position. After I was packing up to leave, he asked me if I'd be interested in selling this little .22 revolver I'd been shooting, and named a price. It was a little low, so I laughed and said, well, for about twice that- maybe. He countered with "I'll take it, but for that money would you forget about the paperwork?"
Old 06-30-2016, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Shirley you can’t be serious.
Old 06-30-2016, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

I was asked if my featureless rifle was legal. And I was asked if my pre ban mags were legal.

Oh, and "is that full auto?" Haha I just got fast fingers

Last edited by ziconceo; 06-30-2016 at 7:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2016, 7:59 AM

Asked to purchase my AAC Can cash and carry.
Didn't have a understanding of the NFA process
Bravo 4
LongGun
Old 06-30-2016, 8:01 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I was at Angeles range, got out my S&W 460 for some fun and let a few friends try it out. Of course the noise drew a little attention and a small crowd started watching.

Then this larger guy, looked a little sketchy- not trying to judge but Hispanic, baggy shorts, button up shirt, gold chains, slicked back hair, etc. walks up and asks me if he could buy my half empty box of 460 ammo because his buddy can't find ammo anywhere

I told him that there was 3 boxes on the shelf just inside the range office 10 feet away
Old 06-30-2016, 8:13 AM

It wasn't a question, but last time my dad and I went to the range, the guys on the lane next to us seemed to be pretty new. My dad was shooting his AR15 (.223 rounds) and was popping them off pretty quick, and I hear the guys in the next lane taking about how loud my dads AR15 is and one of the guys said it was a .308.......
Old 06-30-2016, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

"Did it live?" after I slipped my 7.5" AR pistol off the edge of the bag and blew a .223 sized hole in the front of it. The back side had a 2" hole.

I did loose some filler on the floor. A bit of duct tape and it's good to go again.
Old 06-30-2016, 8:43 AM

Is that a banana in your pocket or an 8" Python?

Triple

LINK: 9mm Shootout: BHP vs 92A1 vs SP-01 vs P-01
Old 06-30-2016, 9:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post
Shirley you can’t be serious.
Of course I'm serious.

and don't call me Shirley!

This wasn't at a range but I had a weird experience at a walmart a couple days ago.

I am hanging out in the ammo isle, seeing if anything catches my eye, and I see this couple at the other end talking to eachother and looking my way repeatedly.

Both look like the usual stereotypical social burnouts. Both were wearing clothes a few sizes too big, dude had his dirty ripped pants hanging around his *** and had a hoodie with multiple holes.

I ignored them and continued what I was doing until I notice the guy is slowly approaching me. He was pretending to look at the merch on the wall but I could just tell he wanted something from me.

Sure enough when he gets about halfway through the isle (about 15-20 feet away from me) he kind of mutters something like "Hey how's it going"

I look at him and nod, and keep doing my thing (trying to find out what metal was used on some CRKT pocket knife). He gets closer and says, louder this time so I could hear him, "So.... buying some ammo are we... maybe looking to buy a gun...?" (The walmart I was at obviously doesn't even sell guns. I am not sure if any in california do.)

I started to get weirded out and irritated. "No." I said curtly and started to put the stuff back I was holding.

He kind of just stands there staring at me as I'm turning my cart around to walk off and says, "Yeah... you probably want one of those assault rifles don't you?"

I completely ignored him and just walked off. as I'm walking away he mutters something like "I was just trying to be friendly!"

The people you meet at walmart, I swear

Custom Kydex Products

Facebook

Instagram

Kydex Minimalist Wallets
Old 06-30-2016, 9:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was once asked where I got my Stainless Cap&Ball revolver built, I told him its a Ruger Old Army and he answered he knew Ruger's quite well and they NEVER built a Cap&Ball so where did I get it built because he wanted one like it. He actually repeated that Ruger never made that gun and luckily a RO came over and corrected him and that was the end of it.

My Old Army and my Luger seem to get the most questions, for the Luger its generally "aren’t you afraid of breaking a part and losing value?" or something like that, my answer is the gun was a matching gun back in the 1970's when I bought it, its no longer matching so no I am not, I shoot it too often to worry about it (it is my favorite firearm)
Old 06-30-2016, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

To point my rifles downrange.................while still in their cases.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 06-30-2016, 9:17 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

I was asked to shoot someone's gun to see why they couldn't get the rounds on paper. I walked over and saw that they had no front sight on their Glock.
Old 06-30-2016, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
I was asked to shoot someone's gun to see why they couldn't get the rounds on paper. I walked over and saw that they had no front sight on their Glock.
That's hilarious.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 06-30-2016, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

The weirdest question I've ever been asked at a gun range?

" Oh, you can't shoot your ammo here. Would you like to buy some of our $$$$ ammo that is range approved ? "

"Sure if it's overpriced reloads, comes in a plastic sandwich bag like it was made in someone's garage and is way underpowered...

I'll take it!"

Old 06-30-2016, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
The weirdest question I've ever been asked at a gun range?

" Oh, you can't shoot your ammo here. Would you like to buy some of our $$$$ ammo that is range approved ? "

"Sure if it's overpriced reloads, comes in a plastic sandwich bag like it was made in someone's garage and is way underpowered...

I'll take it!"

Was this perhaps in Bakersfield? Lol
Old 06-30-2016, 9:45 AM

One time I was shooting my all black AK and a guy came up and said "how much did you pay for that AR?"
Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Is that a Machine Gun? Are you guys Cops?

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defy Concealment View Post
Of course I'm serious.

and don't call me Shirley!

This wasn't at a range but I had a weird experience at a walmart a couple days ago.

I am hanging out in the ammo isle, seeing if anything catches my eye, and I see this couple at the other end talking to eachother and looking my way repeatedly.

Both look like the usual stereotypical social burnouts. Both were wearing clothes a few sizes too big, dude had his dirty ripped pants hanging around his *** and had a hoodie with multiple holes.

I ignored them and continued what I was doing until I notice the guy is slowly approaching me. He was pretending to look at the merch on the wall but I could just tell he wanted something from me.

Sure enough when he gets about halfway through the isle (about 15-20 feet away from me) he kind of mutters something like "Hey how's it going"

I look at him and nod, and keep doing my thing (trying to find out what metal was used on some CRKT pocket knife). He gets closer and says, louder this time so I could hear him, "So.... buying some ammo are we... maybe looking to buy a gun...?" (The walmart I was at obviously doesn't even sell guns. I am not sure if any in california do.)

I started to get weirded out and irritated. "No." I said curtly and started to put the stuff back I was holding.

He kind of just stands there staring at me as I'm turning my cart around to walk off and says, "Yeah... you probably want one of those assault rifles don't you?"

I completely ignored him and just walked off. as I'm walking away he mutters something like "I was just trying to be friendly!"

The people you meet at walmart, I swear
Sounds like he was trying to make a pass at you.
]

Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

"Is that a 10mm?"

"Yes."

"Can I have your empty casings?"

"Sure."

The dude then proceeded to crawl around behind me for 30 minutes, picking up each casing one-by-one while I was shooting. I felt like I was throwing pennies at a homeless guy.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:34 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
Don't ask the old guy (can't remember his name) at Sharpshooters in Torrance to shoot your gun. Some guy that couldn't hit the broad side of the barn asked him to shoot his gun because he couldn't get on target. Old guy took the gun, hung it on the target holder, ran it down the lane and proceeded to shoot it. Last I heard the gun was still hanging up on the wall behind the counter.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

"Our policy should not be informed by our collective outrage about one man's conduct." AG Kamala Harris referring to San Francisco's sanctuary policy and 7 time convicted felon and illegal alien Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CA
...Nor may we relegate the bearing of arms to a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.”
Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaville View Post
To point my rifles downrange.................while still in their cases.
Considering your location, that was probably the same range, maybe the same RSO, where I set my pistol case on the bench after arriving there, and the RSO is standing behind me watching me unlock the case. I flip the lid open, where I have 2 unloaded, slides-already-locked-open pistols facing opposite directions in yin-yang type fashion. As if to be expecting them to be arranged that way before I even opened it, he instantly barked "HEY! Point those things downrange! This is your only warning!" Dang... what happens if you get to the range with a single-pistol case and forgot what direction it was facing when you put it in the case? Turn around and go home to double-check it before you open it at the range?

I realize that proper etiquette is to pick up the pistol facing downrange, spin the case 180 degrees so the other pistol faces downrange, then set the first pistol back down, but he didn't even give me that opportunity before barking at me. Instant reaction as soon as I flipped the lid open.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 06-30-2016 at 12:41 PM..
Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
"Is that a 10mm?"

"Yes."

"Can I have your empty casings?"

"Sure."

The dude then proceeded to crawl around behind me for 30 minutes, picking up each casing one-by-one while I was shooting. I felt like I was throwing pennies at a homeless guy.
Lol.
]

Old 06-30-2016, 1:26 PM

Not asked, but told. I was shooting my Garand at the range one afternoon. After 8 rounds the clip ejected with the typical "ping". A young guy in tactical garb who had been firing an AR came rushing over to frantically tell me my gun had just blown apart and pieces almost hit his girlfriend.

Resisting the urge to laugh at him (although a couple old-timers couldn't help themselves) I explained how the Garand worked and let him and his GF each fire a clip. It turned out to be a good teaching moment. No, I didn't get pics of the GF but she was cute.
Old 06-30-2016, 1:44 PM

I get asked "Is that legal" everytime I go to a range with a suppressor.