Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-14-2017, 8:31 AM

Default Checking Gun Record during PPT

I'm new to PPT (having only purchased through dealers).

When I meet with a seller at an FFL for a PPT, at what point is the gun's records checked if it's clean (ie. not reported lost/stolen)? Some sellers (and I've heard, some shops) require money to change hands prior to DROS paperwork getting filled out.

Is the gun's record checked during the online, info-input at the store? Or does the check happen during the 10 day Waiting Period? Or worse, is the 10 Day Period just Security Theater and nothing of gets checked other than my legal background?

Is there a risk that a seller could sell a "dirty" gun, then disappear during my 10 day waiting period, leaving me with nothing (since I the FFL would have to confiscate and hand it over to law enforcement).

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 09-15-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

The gun serial is run by DOJ/AFS during the 10-day processing. It simply shows any DROS already existing; any lost or stolen hits that might have been reported; whether or not the gun was booked by an agency in the past and was released; or if there's an institutional registration or firearm ownership record sitting on that gun. That takes about 1 minute. The real meat of the DROS is the criminal and mental records check on the prospective buyer (and that includes restraining orders) through CLETS and NLETS. Its a lot more comprehensive than the NCIC check done in 15 minutes in Free States.

Lorcin L380 with bottle opener mag attachment
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM

I've never heard of someone complaining about the situation you're describing, a Calguns member trying to sell off a hot gun through an otherwise legal transaction. Considering that both the both the buyer & seller get their IDs copied and submitted, that seems like a counterproductive way to dispose of it. Not saying that it can't happen, but someone trying to sell a not-legal gun would likely go through a not-legal method.

As for when money changes hands, in the transations I've been involved in it's after the inspection & typically discretely during the occasional lulls as DROS is being processed.

-----
...unless the seller is a dude named fighterpilot. But he's not selling his hot gun, he's giving it away to people...in his basement....
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGirlsHusband View Post
The gun serial is run by DOJ/AFS during the 10-day processing. ... Its a lot more comprehensive than the NCIC check done in 15 minutes in Free States.
Thanks for the details on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I've never heard of someone complaining about the situation you're describing, a Calguns member trying to sell off a hot gun through an otherwise legal transaction.
I would consider the risk to be small as well, as I doubt anybody who took the time to actually be on CalGuns would be stupid enough to knowingly sell a hot gun. Though there could be some meathead out there who would be the first.

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 09-14-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 4:32 PM

My buddy was selling a mini 14 he inherited from his dad after he passed it came back stolen and he gave the guy his money back the next day. The ffl called them both the next day. So it could take more than a few minutes. Likely though if someone is taking the time to do a legal sale they aren't in the know.
Old 09-14-2017, 4:53 PM

A friend of mine did a ppt on a handgun, gave him the cash and started the dros. Week later he got a call back saying the handgun was stolen. Never got the gun or his money back.

Purchase with confidence from calgunners with a solid iTrader rating.
Old 09-14-2017, 4:58 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

If they find anything

https://www.cnet.com/news/drone-with...ift-22-pounds/

They send them after you
Old 09-14-2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
My buddy was selling a mini 14 he inherited from his dad after he passed it came back stolen and he gave the guy his money back the next day. The ffl called them both the next day. So it could take more than a few minutes. Likely though if someone is taking the time to do a legal sale they aren't in the know.
Did his Dad buy a hot gun (back in the day before all these Regs it was a lot more loosey goosy to buy a used guns)? Was the M14 confiscated?

Old 09-14-2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh View Post
A friend of mine did a ppt on a handgun, gave him the cash and started the dros. Week later he got a call back saying the handgun was stolen. Never got the gun or his money back.

Purchase with confidence from calgunners with a solid iTrader rating.
Where did he find the seller originally, I hope not on this board?

Old 09-14-2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogIndustries View Post
Did his Dad buy a hot gun (back in the day before all these Regs it was a lot more loosey goosy to buy a used guns)? Was the M14 confiscated?
He doesn't know how his dad got it. He had for a few years and his dad passed away a few years ago. Very likely he bought it waaay back when regs a lot looser. Actually the PD was able to re unite it with the owner thankfully. His dad was a legit guy we are certain he had no idea.
Old 09-15-2017, 5:05 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I've never heard of someone complaining about the situation you're describing, a Calguns member trying to sell off a hot gun through an otherwise legal transaction. Considering that both the both the buyer & seller get their IDs copied and submitted, that seems like a counterproductive way to dispose of it. Not saying that it can't happen, but someone trying to sell a not-legal gun would likely go through a not-legal method.

As for when money changes hands, in the transations I've been involved in it's after the inspection & typically discretely during the occasional lulls as DROS is being processed.

-----
...unless the seller is a dude named fighterpilot. But he's not selling his hot gun, he's giving it away to people...in his basement....
Not exactly the same circumstance, but a Calgunner sold me a gun that was stolen and returned to him. I then receive a phone call from the Sheriff's Department that the gun in question needs to be available for evidence in the trial for attempted murder. I was told I would get it back. At this moment it's been two years. I probably won't ever get it back and I am irritated, but if the gun helped put the criminals in prison, I can at least feel it was for the better even though I lost money on it.

The Calgunner is a jerk for not disclosing this, but I guess there is no rule that requires him to disclose otherwise.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
Its always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people dont behave badly.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 09-15-2017 at 5:07 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogIndustries View Post
Where did he find the seller originally, I hope not on this board?
it was not through this board, not sure how he found the guy to be honest - may have been through a different forum.