Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Default So, I was at the range today

My new Beretta PX4 Storm is amazing. Shot better than I ever have which is wonderful since it usually takes a round to get use to a new gun. Highly recommend this 9mm. Love, Love, love it!!!

Now - I have a Springfield EMP 1911 - the first 1911 style I have ever had. I will also say, you have to have three hands to disassemble the gun to clean it. Will never understand why it has to be like that but I am sure 1911 lovers would tell me why. The last time I used it, I cleaned it and put it away....Havent' used it in about 9 months. Last time I shot it, it was perfect. So I have already shot my new Beretta, XD-9 and saved the EMP for last.

Got ready to fire - boom, click - jammed. Cleared the jam - boom, click -jammed. Every other bullet jammed. I was tired anyway so I grabbed up my thing and went to pay and told the guy, this would have been a perfect shooting day until my EMP jammed repeatedly. He pulled back the rack and said the barrel was dry. He put a few drops here and few drops there and bam - the gun is now shooting fine. Apparently, you have to be overly nice to the 1911 even if you aren't shooting it.

Found this on the internet

How long has it been since you last lubricated your 1911? If it has been more than about three days, the piece is probably bone-dry. Oil evaporates; if you carry the gun muzzle down in a holster, gravity pulls the oil down the slide rails, around the bushing and out of the gun. Some folks tout the various teflon-based lubricants as the cure for this. In my experience, they don't last one bit longer than the natural products.

Every few days, take a minute or so to lube your 1911. Unload the gun; lock the slide to rear. Put a small drop of oil on each slide rail and let it run into the gun. If you have a Colt with the firing pin lock, you might want to take this opportunity to put a small drop of oil on the firing pin lock plunger in the slide. Lightly rub a thin coat of oil on the exposed barrel where it rides the bushing when the gun is cycling. Let the slide go forward and put one small drop of oil on the front of the barrel hood where it meets the front of the ejection port. Cycle the gun's action a few times, and you're in business. Frankly, I like to do a more leisurely job of lubing my 1911s in which I actually field strip the piece, but the quick-'n'-easy method I've just described will be sufficient.

I don't have to do this with any of my other guns - so to the future 1911 first time buyers - you are welcome lol - If I had that gun on my side and all hell broke loose, I would have been in a world of hurt.

Every day, you learn something new - like having a high maintenance gun that demands you oil it even when you haven't shot it. Still love the gun when it was shooting right - with a little oil, I am in love with it again

Last edited by vision1214; 09-24-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

my colt mark iv officers .45acp doesn't have a jam problem......no matter how long it sits after having been cleaned.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM

I know - that is how is should be - he oils a few places and he fires 5 shots in rapid fire - sounded like an automatic lol - Oil will now be my best friend He knew what the problem was immediately - Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - Think I will carry my beretta or XD-9 just for safety sake.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM

I'm gonna run and lube my 1911 now.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM

ewl.

I show, nighthawks, wilson, and etc to friends. A Glock 19 or M&P9 to enemies
Old 09-24-2012, 1:27 PM

LOL onequick - maybe I should just display my pretty EMP 1911 - stainless with redwood grips and let my Beretta, XD9, Ruger 38 and the JUDGE do the talking
Old 09-24-2012, 2:41 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

LOL, vision!

maybe i just oil mine up sufficiently when cleaning that it doesn't hurt when they "sit".

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-24-2012, 2:42 PM

this makes me want to take my 1911s out and try them bone dry. Haven't shot them in about a year...
Old 09-24-2012, 2:45 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

confession: been over a year....however, i pick up a new rifle and a new-to-me pistol wednesday so i see a range trip in my near future. i will make sure to take my officers with me to test the "theory".

Gun Control:
Old 09-24-2012, 5:39 PM

I have had this gun in a leather holster all this time...wondering if the leather sucks up the oil faster. I have no idea. I hope all of you don't experience this problem. If this was my primary carry, at the moment, that would be in the back of mind........bam - click......bam click. Oh crap!
Old 09-24-2012, 6:08 PM

Range trip tomorrow with my boys(natural and adopted LOL)

Gotta see what the Air Force has taught my other son. He just got home from Afghanistan. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 6:45 PM

I have a PX4 Storm and agree it' an amazing shooter. However, I still love to shoot my Colt 1911.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Try to polish the feed ramp of the 1911.
Old 09-25-2012, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision1214 View Post

Got ready to fire - boom, click - jammed. Cleared the jam - boom, click -jammed. Every other bullet jammed. I was tired anyway so I grabbed up my thing and went to pay and told the guy, this would have been a perfect shooting day until my EMP jammed repeatedly. He pulled back the rack and said the barrel was dry. He put a few drops here and few drops there and bam - the gun is now shooting fine. Apparently, you have to be overly nice to the 1911 even if you aren't shooting it.
My PT1911 runs just fine bone dry.Not every 1911 is a high-maintenance drama queen.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 09-25-2012, 6:01 AM

Figures I would buy the one that is a drama queen
Old 09-25-2012, 7:30 AM

Maybe it's actually defective? Needs service? If it's a brand new gun the manufacturer should be able to help.

It can't be right for a brand new gun to mis-fire 80% of the time, can it?
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-25-2012, 8:03 AM

Quote:
My new Beretta PX4 Storm is amazing. Shot better than I ever have which is wonderful since it usually takes a round to get use to a new gun. Highly recommend this 9mm. Love, Love, love it!!!

Now - I have a Springfield EMP 1911 - the first 1911 style I have ever had. I will also say, you have to have three hands to disassemble the gun to clean it. Will never understand why it has to be like that but I am sure 1911 lovers would tell me why. The last time I used it, I cleaned it and put it away....Havent' used it in about 9 months. Last time I shot it, it was perfect. So I have already shot my new Beretta, XD-9 and saved the EMP for last.

Found this on the internet

How long has it been since you last lubricated your 1911? If it has been more than about three days, the piece is probably bone-dry. Oil evaporates; if you carry the gun muzzle down in a holster, gravity pulls the oil down the slide rails, around the bushing and out of the gun. Some folks tout the various teflon-based lubricants as the cure for this. In my experience, they don't last one bit longer than the natural products.

Every few days, take a minute or so to lube your 1911. Unload the gun; lock the slide to rear. Put a small drop of oil on each slide rail and let it run into the gun. If you have a Colt with the firing pin lock, you might want to take this opportunity to put a small drop of oil on the firing pin lock plunger in the slide. Lightly rub a thin coat of oil on the exposed barrel where it rides the bushing when the gun is cycling. Let the slide go forward and put one small drop of oil on the front of the barrel hood where it meets the front of the ejection port. Cycle the gun's action a few times, and you're in business. Frankly, I like to do a more leisurely job of lubing my 1911s in which I actually field strip the piece, but the quick-'n'-easy method I've just described will be sufficient.

I don't have to do this with any of my other guns - so to the future 1911 first time buyers - you are welcome lol - If I had that gun on my side and all hell broke loose, I would have been in a world of hurt.

Every day, you learn something new - like having a high maintenance gun that demands you oil it even when you haven't shot it. Still love the gun when it was shooting right - with a little oil, I am in love with it again

Your using the wrong oils. Wilson combat makes a grease and oil that I started using, they will not run or move even when firing. I run them on everything its terrific. I run grease on things that are high wear (slides), and oil on everything else. I kept my 1911 in a leather holster for over a year and never once found oil on it. Those clp cleaners always end up all over my hands and gun when I shoot, no thanks ill stick to oils that work.
Old 09-25-2012, 8:43 AM

I let my carry 1911 sit for over a year without adding and oil or lube or unloading it. I know that a responsible person should shoot every month to keep up their skills but last year i spent more time shooting .22s than .45s. When i finally shot my 1911 after more than a year of being in condition one, dusty with lint and carried frequently. It did not faulter and ate everything I fed it.

I recall reading an article back in the 80s or 90 on the old Gun Tests magazine where they conducted a test of lubes and their effects on handguns. As a baseline they ran a bunch of handguns completely dry and if I recall all handguns fired dry met the standards for the test. Ultimately they reported that a properly lubed handgun runs better than a dry gun.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Maybe it's actually defective? Needs service? If it's a brand new gun the manufacturer should be able to help.

It can't be right for a brand new gun to mis-fire 80% of the time, can it?
Once he put the oil on it - he shot rapid fire with 5 bullets, no jams. Maybe I didn't oil it properly the last time I cleaned it which was almost a year ago. Who knows but I am glad I was using it on the firing range than in a nasty situation. I will try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Btw - I need to go to a 12 step program - I bought another gun today lol - It is a sickness I tell ya!!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks D4vO - I will try a different oil and make sure I use some frequently - this might be a quirk in the EMP that you have to oil it often whether you are shooting or not
Old 10-15-2012, 8:35 PM
CGSSA Associate

I love my EMP! If you think about it its a completely different animal compared to the PX4. The EMP is built tighter and to smaller tolerances. So small changes/ issues cause larger problems like jamming. Granted though a weapon should fire every time you pull the trigger. Anything put together by hand can and will have issues though this is not a excuse it is still something to consider. I was having issues with it loading and my BF filed down a microscopic bur on the feed ramp and it solved the problem. Im glad you were able to solve the problem and a rather easy resolution to boot.

The PX4 is more of a work horse/service weapon. Its like a glock you can drop it in the mud and not worry about it not functioning. There are much higher tolerances for change and built. Its like a custom fit suit vs a generic off the rack suite.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
LOL onequick - maybe I should just display my pretty EMP 1911 - stainless with redwood grips and let my Beretta, XD9, Ruger 38 and the JUDGE do the talking
Nice sword redwood grips

I mean I like my guns being pretty (as my better half), I have many...to which he laments that I have TO many lol. But to just get work done, can't find any fault with m&p and glocks. Had to many issues with XD45s, but my xd9s were cherry And I rotate my Ruger SP101's into my carry around the house sometimes. But lately shield's been getting more carry