Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-02-2007, 1:22 PM

Default Charles Daly Field Tactical

Hey guys,

My brother and dad both have Remingotn 870's which they like to shoot trap with. I like the 870's but im looking for a smaller package that is hopefully versatile and easier to handle. I was looking at shotguns the other day and saw that Big 5 had the Charles Daly Field Tactical on sale. I realize that its a tactical package not meant for trap, but has anyone ever tried shooting trap with the shorter barrel? I dont know a whole lot about shotguns (and im guessing it probably wont work well for trap), but I thought I would just ask. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 1:38 PM

i shoot trap with an 870 with 18" barrel. You don't have as much range, but it's easily do able. If you can shoot trap, you can shoot trap. Blaming it on the gun is for wimps
Old 07-02-2007, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

If for whatever reason you do want to shoot clays with a short barrel "tactical" shotgun, get a 870 HD with the 18" bead sight. You can take off the mag extension, get a shorter magazine spring and magazine cap. You'll be GTG then..

Going from an 870 to a Charles Daly? Stick with the Remington.

870 Expresses are going pretty cheap now. Get a 28" VR barrel with a 18" express bead barrel found on the HD models. 2 for 1.
Old 07-02-2007, 3:53 PM

I've also shot sporting clays with an 18" 870. And, well, I must be a wimp, because I'm shopping around for a longer barrel. But it is doable. Even my wife, who had never shot clays before, could still hit about 20% with the short barrel.
Old 07-02-2007, 5:23 PM

Well, it sounds like the general consensus it to go with the remington. Im not really stuck on a tactical shotgun, its just what happened to be looking at in the store and was on sale. (Dont have a huge budget right now cause im also working on another rifle build, so im kinda lookin for a good deal).

I was checkin out the remington website looking at some options. Didnt really see the HD one. I was lookin at this though (the 870 express synthetic 18in barrel). What are your thoughts on this? Heres the link:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-02-2007, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Sure, the CD is $200 or a bit less, but unless you can get CD to sell you a sporting length bbl, it is really only good for a room broom/house gun. I think these are made by akkar in Turkey.

remingtons are very modular and you can find bbl's and (everything else) for sale. The 870 express is $279 with a 28" bbl.

ON EDIT: I'd get a police model and a longer bbl from ebay. remember that wingmasters and police models use the ball detent and the old style locking cap vs. the newer expresses use a spring retainer locking tooth to secure the cap. The 870 express HD uses the more expensive ball detent--those go for $319 at big five, typically and have a 6 shot capacity with a mag extension.

Last edited by mike100; 07-02-2007 at 5:28 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 6:58 AM

The CD was on sale last year for $200. I've got other shotguns and thought this would be a decent addition as my "truck" gun. I bought mines, got it home and found that the barrel would not slide into the reciever! So it took about 5 minutes and a Dremel and it was good to go. Not a good thing for a new shotgun, but luckily it was easily fixed instead of going back to Big 5 and returning it.... I've shot jackrabbits, clays and just plain blasting at targets. Its actually become one of my favorites as its light and shoulders really good for me... Mines is very reliable and has been with me on plenty camping trips. If you don't mind possibly working on a brand new toy and your piggy bank does not have more than $250 (tax and fees) and it will take you another 5 years to save up for a Remington/Mossberg, then the CD can be a pretty good option....
Old 07-04-2007, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you're on a budget, then it may be worth considering the Mossberg 500 combos (with the 18.5" and the 24" barrels included). Big 5 always seems to have those on sale for around $229 practically every week. That way you have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthaiboy View Post
If you're on a budget, then it may be worth considering the Mossberg 500 combos (with the 18.5" and the 24" barrels included). Big 5 always seems to have those on sale for around $229 practically every week. That way you have the best of both worlds.
I was actually at big 5 yesterday cause I wanted to see if they had the Remington 870 express 18" (They told me that they do not usually stock the rem 18 inch tho which is lame). I noticed the mossberg 500 combo with the two barrels. That is an option. Tomorrow I think im going to call some local gun shops and see if I can locate a Rem 18". I want to see what they are going for right now, then ill weigh my options.

How does the 500 compare to the 870's? Ive really fell in love with the 870 after looking around a bit, but the 500 is always an option.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra198 View Post
How does the 500 compare to the 870's? Ive really fell in love with the 870 after looking around a bit, but the 500 is always an option.
Thanks!
You really don't want to start that debate up again
Do a search in Shotgun Discussions and you'll find it all
Old 07-05-2007, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel1316 View Post
You really don't want to start that debate up again
Do a search in Shotgun Discussions and you'll find it all
Ah, ok will do.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 AM

sorry for the necropost, but I just bought this shotgun and was wondering what tubular magazine extension can i buy that's compatible with this shotgun? And is there any place where I can buy a bigger barrel, or am I stuck with the home defense 18.5 one? I couldn't find any info on the official website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.

Last edited by doughboy334; 03-31-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 1:13 AM

Ok, when I did my research online, I found out that the Field Tactical supposedly held 4+1, but when I got it and read the manual, it said it could only hold 2+1. Not really enough for home defense IMO.

Now, would it be bad to cut a little off of the magazine plug to fit more rounds in?

Thanks.

Quote:
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 03-31-2008, 1:21 AM
In Memoriam

Not all ranges will let you shoot trap with a short barrel shotgun.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 03-31-2008, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
Not all ranges will let you shoot trap with a short barrel shotgun.
Yea, this is my first shotgun and I bought it primarily for home defense, but if I could purchase a longer barrel (does anyone know if Charles Daly sells em like Remington?), then I'd be good to go!

Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 3:00 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF0443.jpg

Ok, I found if I removed the white plug, then I could fit 4 rounds in the magazine tube as advertised. Is this wrong to do?

Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 8:37 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy334 View Post
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF0443.jpg

Ok, I found if I removed the white plug, then I could fit 4 rounds in the magazine tube as advertised. Is this wrong to do?
call them up & ask them or return it for a refund. get something else. 870 express or mossberg 500 series.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 AM

Went to shoot trap yesterday with my friend and we both had brand new guns. I had the 870 Express and he had the Mossberg w/ 2 barrels, yes, both purchased at Big 5. First round we tied, then second round we switched guns and again we tied. Feel + look at both the guns then decide. I wouldn't mind having either.
Old 04-03-2008, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
doughboy334 :

Let me know how you get on with your Charles Daly Tactical. I'm tempted to get a Tactical AW (All Weather) just for fun.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -