Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-18-2012, 3:09 PM

Default MN Headspacing

Hello, I live in Modesto, and am going to be getting my first 91/30 to start the addiction. I have heard it's a smart move to check the headspace and I could get a set of gauges, but I am thinking that maybe it would be wiser to have a gunsmith check it out. Firstly, should I do it myself with a set of gauges and spend the $54, or should I have a gunsmith check it out? Secondly, who is recommended and what do they usually charge for a check? I don't mind driving a bit and I'd rather be on the side of caution before I rest my cheek on the rifle and hope the bolt doesn't blow out the back. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-18-2012, 4:04 PM

Check with Paul at Barnwood Arms in Ripon. He might have a set of gauges for the 7.62x54R. Also check with Sierra Arms, but I perfer Paul. He has a lot of experiance.

Headspace on a rimmed cartridge isn't a big issue, not like a rimless round. The headspace on your rifle is just the gap in the chamber where the rim sits. What you should ask them is "is it safe to shoot?" They can check the locking lugs, the bolt, the receiver, the chamber, the bore, etc.

I don't know what they charge. Call before you drive up there to make sure he is in.

IAN FLEMING
Old 11-19-2012, 8:54 PM

Awesome. Great, thank you very much. I will check to see if Paul is available when I get it.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM

Buy the field gauge and you can flip it. It will sell easily.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM

www.okiegauges.com This guy is great, very fast shipping and he's very helpful if you have any questions about your Mosin. You don't need the no-go or go gauge for a milsurp, just get the field gauge.

I'm in Sacramento, you can use mine if you don't want to buy one for yourself, but I'm out of town until Saturday.
Old 11-20-2012, 9:25 AM

Well, I haven't even bought the rifle yet, but I plan to soon. I'll probably end up buying from SOG or AIM, but I will definitely appreciate the offer of using yours MalC. I fully intend to buy more than one eventually, so maybe just buying a field gauge is the better option. I thought the No-Go gauge was the one I needed. Why the field gauge only?