Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Default A good rifle scope for a 30-06 caliber rifle.

I bought a Savage hunter 30-06 cal. and came with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. I think that this scope is not shock resistant, the first seven shots messed up the cross hairs, I got an exchange and this one became loose even after I put loctite. What would you recommend?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 PM

The scopes that come on those package deal rifles are typically junk. At a MINIMUM I would suggest you buy a Redfield Revolution scope (NOT REVENGE). 3-9x is pretty hard to beat for most hunting situations. You can go more or less magnification if you like (2-7x or 4-12x etc).
Bushnell is a good brand as long as you stay away from their cheap stuff.
Dont know what your budget is, but the Leupold VX-1 series is good for the price.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 09-17-2012, 5:56 AM
CGSSA Associate

+1 on the Redfield Revolution.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:17 AM

Take a good look at 2-7 variable scopes. A little smaller and lighter. Most people never use their scope cranked all the way up. Why pay more for power and weight that you don't use? There are a few good brands, I have both a Redfield and a Leopuld on my 2 deer rifles. Both are good.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

I like the SWFA SS line. Was at a Precision Rifle Course at Front Sight using a SWFA SS 10 X 42 on my TC Venture in 308, and I was right up there with the Leapold and schmit and bender guys. Their scopes WERE NICE, but they spent A LOT!!

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 09-17-2012, 6:30 AM

Leupold or Nikon....IMO.....

Leupold VX-1 is all 99% percent of hunters need. Very basic but rock solid and lifetime warranty no questions asked. Approx. $250

I really like the Nikon Buckmaster series....I also like their BDC reticle. You also use the I-phone application from Nikon and you can calculate everything on the fly...it even gets weather updates by your GPS position....pretty cool.
These you can find around $210.

There are those that say spend as much on glass as you do your rifle......I'm not sure its necessary but glass can get very expensive......

I agree with sticking with 3X9 magnafication as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:02 AM
Banned

Buy the best scope you can afford. It was what makes your rifle hit its target.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:22 AM

look at the Pentax Gameseeker scope life time hassle free warranty
Old 09-17-2012, 8:47 AM

But the best you can afford and bite the bullet only once.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:47 AM

*Buy
Old 09-17-2012, 9:31 AM

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 x40 on my 30-06 with the BDC reticle (which only works at max power, really- so not that useful- if you can save money getting a regular crosshair reticle, I say go for it). It's been on many hunting trips, and never come loose. Every time I check it at the range before hunting, I never have to adjust it. It's good to have confidence in the scope. I believe it cost around $300.

Someone here mentioned a 2-7 scope. I'm looking for a 2-7 x 30mm scope for my son's 308 bolt action. That's actually my favorite range to use, as I usually leave it on 2 power. I only like to crank up the power at the range when sighting in.
Old 09-17-2012, 9:53 AM

I also have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 x40 with the BDC reticle on my 30-06. It's a great scope and for less than $300 it was a great deal.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM

You don't mention a budget or at what distance you'll be shooting, but a 3x9 scope is pretty common choice. I have a couple Leupold scopes and love 'em. You can pick up a decent one for about $200-300, same with Nikon. Recently I coughed up some $$ and bought a Trijicon Accupoint. REALLY love that, but twice the cost of the Leupold...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Honestly, I asked this same question a little over a month ago when I bought my Ruger M77 in 30-06. I ended up buying a Redfield Revolution, and I am REALLY happy with it.

I've had my rifle out a few times, but that first time I took it out. I dialed in the scope at 25 yards, and proceeded to ping gongs from 200-350 yards. With my first or second shot. I had three rounds left and went for the small swinging gong at 400 and missed all 3.... DARN! But that was no fault of the scope, I really like mine. I got it used for $125, but I feel that $200 (their new price) would still be a fair deal.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you guys for your comments. I'm gonna look into those scopes, I want it for big game hunting and range practice, too. I'm gonna try to hit something at about 300 yards. I get Cabela's points, so right now I have enough points to get me a really good scope at around $300 and I can afford to put an extra $20 bucks if I need to.
I really appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Bang for the buck, it is tough to beat a fixed 6X Leupold. Great glass, tough as heck, plenty of magnification, great warranty. As a side benefit, you won't believe how user friendly they are, huge eye relief, large FOV, excellent light transmission.
Old 09-17-2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
I have enough points to get me a really good scope at around $300 and I can afford to put an extra $20 bucks if I need to.
For that price, look at the Leupold VX-1 line. I used to have the 4-12x with the BDC reticle on my 30-06 and it worked great and the BDC worked for it out to 500yds if you zero at 200yds.
Only reason it is no longer on that rifle is because I have a USO on it now

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 09-17-2012, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Leupold 3X9X40 duplex reticle or 3.5X10X40 duplex reticle. If you are short on funds the 3X9X40 Redfield with duplex reticle.
With a Leupold 3X9X40 and the 3.5X10X40 I have taken game from about 3 feet to over 600 yards. Sight it in 2.75" high at 100 yards and for any reasonable shot just hold on the animal and you will have meat to eat.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:41 PM

All great info above. Also take a look at the Nikon Prostaff and Burris Fullfield II models. Great scopes for under $200. If patient; you can find one used for less. From what I have read and understand; Nikon and Burris also have very good warranties and customer service.

I don't know personally because I never had problems with the several I own.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:00 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

When I compared scopes at Sportsmens warehouse a few years ago I felt that the Nikon prostaff was brighter than the Leupold rifleman and VX-I. The VX-2 was brighter than the Prostaff but is also nearly double the cost.

Just my personal observations. I'm currently using a buckmaster fixed 4x, prostaff 3x9, and a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 on my 3 big game rifles with optics.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
When I compared scopes at Sportsmens warehouse a few years ago I felt that the Nikon prostaff was brighter than the Leupold rifleman and VX-I. The VX-2 was brighter than the Prostaff but is also nearly double the cost.

Just my personal observations. I'm currently using a buckmaster fixed 4x, prostaff 3x9, and a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 on my 3 big game rifles with optics.
Yeah the Nikons get great reviews and they are easy on the wallet. I have no first hand experience with them like actually owning one or shooting with one but the ones i have held seem great.

Looks like from cabelas you can get a 3-9x Prostaff with BDC for $139, thats a great deal. Read the reviews also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Take a good look at 2-7 variable scopes. A little smaller and lighter. Most people never use their scope cranked all the way up. Why pay more for power and weight that you don't use? There are a few good brands, I have both a Redfield and a Leopuld on my 2 deer rifles. Both are good.
Yeah you really gotta look at the FOV cause a lot of them are right where the 3x power scopes are also. But thats a good point as i never use the 9x on my rifle scope, it probably never goes higher then 6x.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:32 PM

Default 'Best scope you can afford' but until then...

...I put my $50 walmart scope (CenterPoint 4-16x40 ao r/g) from my .22lr savage on my .30-06 savage and it worked so well I left it there and put the cheap bushnell replacement on the .22lr.

The original Bushnell that came with my savage .30-06 blew the rear most internal lens right out to the rear outside lens at round 45. I shot 125gr, 150gr, 165gr and then while trying the 180gr (all factory remington rounds) I was looking for where I hit and couldn't see anything familiar. I backed away from the scope and saw the loose lens inside leaning against the eye piece. Bushnell sent next model up, but I wasn't willing to waste more rounds zeroing in a 'Bushnell'.

Last edited by Cheap Shot; 09-17-2012 at 8:38 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-17-2012, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

I have 3 Nikons, one on my 30-30 one on my 30.06 (Pro Staff's) and one on my AR (buck master)

the one on my .06 has the BDC with it 1" high at 100 I can go all the way out to 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
...I put my $50 walmart scope (CenterPoint 4-16x40 ao r/g) from my .22lr savage on my .30-06 savage and it worked so well I left it there and put the cheap bushnell replacement on the .22lr.

The original Bushnell that came with my savage .30-06 blew the rear most internal lens right out to the rear outside lens at round 45. I shot 125gr, 150gr, 165gr and then while trying the 180gr (all factory remington rounds) I was looking for where I hit and couldn't see anything familiar. I backed away from the scope and saw the loose lens inside leaning against the eye piece. Bushnell sent next model up, but I wasn't willing to waste more rounds zeroing in a 'Bushnell'.

Thats interesting ive had 150+ rounds through my .270 a-bolt with the cheap Bushnell factory scope and only had to re-zero it once. That was after a trip when the airlines broke my dads leupold. It gets bumped around in my quad all the time also. I know its not the best but i found one that works great.
Old 09-17-2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Thank you guys for your comments. I'm gonna look into those scopes, I want it for big game hunting and range practice, too. I'm gonna try to hit something at about 300 yards. I get Cabela's points, so right now I have enough points to get me a really good scope at around $300 and I can afford to put an extra $20 bucks if I need to.
All good info so far. I went through this last summer myself. New rifle needs new scope!!

I have a .06 with an older Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 (love this rig) and wanted something similar for the new .270.

I looked, looked, & looked at the Nikon's, Redfields, & Leupolds. I really liked both the Redfields & Nikon's, for different reasons. Just couldn't get the Leupold VXII 3x9x50 out of my mind. I eventually settled with the Redfield (good scope = good price). Then at home that night, I pulled up the Cabela's site and BAM!!! Online special ALL Leopold VXII's on sale. So, with the sale, and some points, I was able to buy the Leupold VXII 3x9x50 that I wanted, for the same price as the Redfiled.

The Leupold VXII's are the same as the old VXIII's, but with slightly better glass coatings. I've used the rifle & scope at a few ranges and in the woods last season. I love this scope!

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Redfield or Nikon, or the Leupold VXI for the price. However, IF you can find a deal on a Leupold VXII, BUY IT!! Far better and you will not regret it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 PM

I really like my Redfield 4x12 on my old winchester
Old 09-18-2012, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you going on Cabelas, they have a lot of there Monarchs on sale right now and there is a $30 mail in rebate. A little bit more then the Buckmaster but from the reviews I've read it give the best bang for the buck.