Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-11-2014, 5:56 PM

Default BAH Cut

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ompromise.html

Right now they've decided to exempt GI Bill users from the BAH cut (in a different article).

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wantedÖ and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 12-11-2014, 7:49 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Meanwhile, the Air Force is going to be redesigning their fuel trucks because the F-35 doesn't like warm fuel... roger f**king that!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 12-11-2014, 9:59 PM

Generally speaking the military has it pretty good with the pay scale.
Many get raise regardless if congress passes a raise or not. We all get the time in service bumps within our grade when we hit our time marks (that is until we cap out within the grade). Then if we promote thatís a bump as well, and a new time in service scale.

So for congress to say they are not going to give us a raise means that they arenít going to bump up the entire Pay Matrix. So only those two+ years away from a pay tier, or have capped their grade are the only ones not getting a raise this year.

Now BAH is a lever that they can raise and lower, or entirely pull the rug out from under us.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM

I just got a letter in the mail for my wifes GI Bill saying she was entitled to $750 housing allowance per month but the BAH rate for her schools zip code is $1900. You better believe Im calling DFAS tomorrow to see wtf that is about
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist
Old 12-15-2014, 9:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoint View Post
I just got a letter in the mail for my wifes GI Bill saying she was entitled to $750 housing allowance per month but the BAH rate for her schools zip code is $1900. You better believe Im calling DFAS tomorrow to see wtf that is about
Is she taking a full course load? Are the courses she's taking going towards her major?
Old 12-16-2014, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Yea, you have to be going to school full time on campus in person in the geographic area of your BAH location.

So to get less than full BAH it is usually tied to being part time or doing an on-line degree.
Old 12-16-2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
She's either taking online courses or not attending full time. 12 units is full time

Online course do not qualify for the full bah since all you're doing is sitting at home on your computer.
Old 12-16-2014, 4:50 PM
Fat guy in a little coat
CGN Contributor

Not true, online courses count as long as the courses are available at the institution you are going in the area in which you reside. I can take one course in person and 3 online from the same school and it is the same as some one taking 4 courses at the same school in person on campus.
Old 12-21-2014, 5:39 PM

Shes taking 13 credits and 4 of the credits are online but FML is correct, as long as 1 credit is in a brick and mortar, you get the full amount.

The problem was some idiot at the VA processed all the credits as being online instead of just the 4. A simple letter from the school will correct the error.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist
Old 12-22-2014, 6:04 PM

There's no "cut" to bah you are currently receiving, a 5% cut over 5 years, 1% per year is being implemented to take out the compensation for renters insurance that is currently factored in the allowance.
That does not mean bah will go down 1% each year, it means it will go up by 1% less each year for 5 years. My bah will go up by 190 dollars a month in 2015.
Occasionally bah will drop for certain areas, this will not affect your current rate, only those who move to that area after the new rate goes into affect. Or if you are promoted into a new bah bracket, you will receive the current bah, unless it is lower than what you currently receive, because you picked your housing based on the amount of bah you were receiving at the time. Hope this clears some stuff up.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Many get raise regardless if congress passes a raise or not. We all get the time in service bumps within our grade when we hit our time marks (that is until we cap out within the grade). Then if we promote thatís a bump as well, and a new time in service scale.

So for congress to say they are not going to give us a raise means that they arenít going to bump up the entire Pay Matrix. So only those two+ years away from a pay tier, or have capped their grade are the only ones not getting a raise this year.

Now BAH is a lever that they can raise and lower, or entirely pull the rug out from under us.
True, however when we only get a 1% pay raise and inflation is higher, guess what. . . we are actually getting a pay cut, not raise. I personally would be just fine with pay being tied to inflation, inflation goes up 2% one year, well so does our pay, deflation of .5% happens another year, well lets bring pay down by the same amount.
Old 12-27-2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Is she attending in person or online?

Nevermind - I see where you said shes taking some at the brick and mortar.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 12-27-2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
She's either taking online courses or not attending full time. 12 units is full time

Online course do not qualify for the full bah since all you're doing is sitting at home on your computer.
Which is bull****, I still have the same amount of work to do? Hell, I have got hybrid classes where they are in person and not, all we show up for is a lecture .

The differential treatment is kind of pointless, it should be the BAH for where you live regardless of online or in campus. I've done both. I did both for bachelors classes and Master's, and now Law school.

Going to school has been for nothing but to hear a lecture. I could have done the same stuff on a google hangout.

Old 12-27-2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Without exaggeration, as a E-3/E-4 submariner, I pretty much averaged 65-90 hours a week in port working and about 90-120 hours a week at sea. I've never seen our "pay" really be that good for the amount of work we put in.

When I worked at PHNSY, we had a comparative civilian job in our office, who was already GS-11/12 or 13 and made overtime. I'd say most of them brought home about 20-40k more than we did even after factoring in BAH and sub pay.

I've just never seen our pay be equal for a similar number of hours worked. I'd have to disagree with the "pretty good" statement. I remember Navy Times trying to say that we (E-4) was equal to someone with about an associate degree. Except that person worked 40 hours a week only.

Last edited by Funtimes; 12-27-2014 at 9:13 PM..