Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Default PTSD Psychotherapy

What does it entail? Does it work?

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Fatality Search and Recovery
Mortuary Affairs
Old 01-14-2016, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

VA offers tons of different types of treatment....

1) Group setting
2) One on One meeting
3) PTSD Dog treatment program
4) medication and non medication program
5) VA will send you to Kansas City for 3 months program as well so they will give you temp.... 100% rating while you are there...
6) If you are special force member or combat field MOS with certain medals.. they will put you through special combat intake PTSD treatment
Old 01-19-2016, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Intersting.

Does it work?
George Patton
Old 01-19-2016, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it works, but it's lift time treatment. You will have to keep going rest of your life.
Old 01-19-2016, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Best treatment for me is... going on hiking, playing with my doggies (5 of them), and medication. However, most ptsd meds will make you feel like zombie so make be careful.
Old 01-19-2016, 7:38 PM

It also helps to try and keep an open mind while going to treatment because everyone takes things differently. A good amount of people I know who are dealing with ptsd best with dogs and being around supportive not over bering people as well as keeping active.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 7:40 PM

Treatment that works varies from person to person. I initially thought I could drink it away but that was a bad idea. I was drinking a case a day and not the good stuff either.

Group therapy didn't really work fo me, if anything it made me super depressed. I think listening to other people's problems just reminded me of mine even more.

I also had to try different types of medication until I got it right. A lot of them like bojack mentioned just zombify you and basically have you moving around but with no one behind the wheel.

What worked for me was very similar to bojack, where I started doing more out door activities and bought some cars to tinker with. I have completed there cars since 2009, but the funny thing is that I still haven't finished my high school car which hasn't had wheels on it for over five years now.

Each person is different but one should find what works for best for them
Old 01-19-2016, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, like above said.... medication is like playing chess.. try and error until you find the right one that works for you.

Everyone is different so seek help and see which program works for you. If you go to VA Long Beach, hit up joanna from combat PTSD intake. Great guy, he goes on hiking with former special force members and other combat veterans as well.
Old 01-28-2016, 7:27 PM

I am not a veteran, but several coworkers and family members are. Having watched them go through the issues listed above I can say it takes some time to figure out what works for you. The important part is that you get treatment, period. Please don't just push it down and think it will go away. It doesn't. Alcohol and drugs numb it, but it's still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2016, 9:26 PM
Banned by supreme ******
CGN Contributor

Brother , don't try to take it on all by yourself , you can't win against PTSD , no drinking in the world will make it better . In no way are you weak for seeking help , no it takes strength to be honest and know when one is in too deep .

There is a life after PTSD , just raise you hand and accept the help . Please brother take that step . Way too many of us leave their condition untreated and end up taking their lives . You can do it brother and if I can be of any help to you just send me a message .
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 PM

Yeah the VA programs help alot. If you b have time they offer many programs during the day. VA outreach centers seem to be open in the evening as well for group session and one on one counseling. Just keep going. ..I have taken breaks when I think I'm good but always come back because I always start slipping so I try to make it a permanent habit.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes on day time stuff from va if you got the time. ..they have drawing, hiking, and other physical activity stuff as well, but all usually day time.
Old 01-29-2016, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed that PTSD is treatable and that there's no shame in getting help for it. My one concern, since this is a gun forum: is there a way to get that help without the VA putting you on a "mentally defective" list that strips you of your 2A rights? My understanding is that this has happened to several veterans seeing just this sort of help through the VA.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-30-2016, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

As stated above, you have to find what works for you. I agree with the group thing...never was my thing but I have always been a loaner.

Look into EMDR. Not as well known as more "common" treatments, it lots of folks have had great success with it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
However, most ptsd meds will make you feel like zombie so make be careful.

George Patton
Old 02-04-2016, 4:10 AM

When I was going through this, the program I went through had docs that destroyed records after treatment. This was to prevent any sort of apprehension to treatment due to guys wanting to go LE after getting out or to curb fears of the treatment coming back to bite you after the fact.

I believe there are still programs that operate this way. Look into it.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. Until we meet again...
Old 02-04-2016, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
When I was going through this, the program I went through had docs that destroyed records after treatment. This was to prevent any sort of apprehension to treatment due to guys wanting to go LE after getting out or to curb fears of the treatment coming back to bite you after the fact.

Vet Center does that I believe. Still, if you are trying to become LEO or so... they could get hold of those information since most agency will make you sign weaver form that let's them get your military records.
Old 02-05-2016, 8:07 AM

I signed up for some class called mantram. It seems interesting and the chaplain there said it worked for him (prior Navy Corpsman).

I'd like to get out and be more active seeing as how I don't really have one friend. There are folks I shoot with but no one I can say is a real friend other than my spouse.

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 02-06-2016, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Agreed that PTSD is treatable and that there's no shame in getting help for it. My one concern, since this is a gun forum: is there a way to get that help without the VA putting you on a "mentally defective" list that strips you of your 2A rights? My understanding is that this has happened to several veterans seeing just this sort of help through the VA.
I am interested in this, too. There are times when I would love to - really need to... get some professional help via the V.A., but I'm concerned about the same thing, and man - it would be a very bad day for a lot of people (especially me) if anyone ever showed up to ask for my guns. I've had crap luck with everything V.A. and really don't go - nor do I trust the V.A., (or for that matter, conventional meds).
Old 02-06-2016, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
As stated above, you have to find what works for you. I agree with the group thing...never was my thing but I have always been a loaner.

Look into EMDR. Not as well known as more "common" treatments, it lots of folks have had great success with it.

I have heard good things in the past about a similar eye-movement type of therapy, but it was called something else and I can't think of the name at this time.

I don't like the group thing, either. For me, getting outdoors helps -when I can make that happen, along with a bit of medicinal cannabis. Yeah, yeah.. guns/DROS (and cannabis) - I don't care. I don't drive, shoot, or handle guns while "medicated," and it is a hell of lot safer for me than psychiatric (or virtually ANY prescription) meds, and certainly much safer than alcohol.

I've seen plenty of my friends' lives ruined by psychiatric meds (all combat Vets with heavy PTSD). The herb keeps much calmer and less likely to interact with any f-tards, rude people, or mindless self-centered idiots who just don't pay attention to how their actions affect others around them. Geez, I think I am overdue for some medication. I need a shirt with a leaf on it that says: "Medicated For Your Protection." I'm going to have one made and wear it to a CG shoot.... watch all the "holier than thou's" and drinkers get their panties in a bunch. Time for the first hit of the day.
Old 02-06-2016, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DysfunctionalVet View Post
I signed up for some class called mantram. It seems interesting and the chaplain there said it worked for him (prior Navy Corpsman).

I'd like to get out and be more active seeing as how I don't really have one friend. There are folks I shoot with but no one I can say is a real friend other than my spouse.
I'm in a similar situation. I do have a couple true friends/Brothers, but they're all up North or in other States. If you didn't live out in B.F.E./Beaumont I'd invite you to do something outdoors.
Old 02-08-2016, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

I did all sort of treatments and meds. Nothing made it better. They all made me feel worse. Working helped but it really just suppressed everything. Now I do talk therapy, and I became an elementary school teacher (this has helped the most). I still have a **** ton of issues (sleep, hypervigilance, depression) but for me working with kids has made life a little greener. I used to work with vets and they were downers. I'm taking back my life 1 day at a time (11 years later). Find something that will make you happy. Go to therapy use meds (not drugs) and find something that truly makes you happy. You will never be cured, but like becomes tolerable.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 02-09-2016, 1:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
I did all sort of treatments and meds. Nothing made it better. They all made me feel worse. Working helped but it really just suppressed everything. Now I do talk therapy, and I became an elementary school teacher (this has helped the most). I still have a **** ton of issues (sleep, hypervigilance, depression) but for me working with kids has made life a little greener. I used to work with vets and they were downers. I'm taking back my life 1 day at a time (11 years later). Find something that will make you happy. Go to therapy use meds (not drugs) and find something that truly makes you happy. You will never be cured, but like becomes tolerable.
That's awesome!
Old 03-05-2016, 8:36 PM

Gentlemen,

I'm a psychologist and work with PTSD. I specialize in anxiety disorders and related (such as PTSD). I've also done some of the research (mostly on Laotian and Cambodian civilians who experienced war trauma). There is solid treatment out there, but there are not many people who are really well versed in doing it. EMDR has some efficacy. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) with a focus on exposure and response prevention (ERP) has significant research that indicates it's a useful approach. Typically it's around 20 weekly sessions but there's a lot of variations (intensity or trauma, type, etc).

There are some good resources out there. ADAA.org, ABCT.org are really good, as is ACT.org. If any of you need some help of how to find help and where to go, please feel free to email me at hsia@ocanxietycenter.com. You can also PM me, but email is preferred.

I also do some pro bono work in addition to my regular fee work in certain situations. If I can be of help, please let me know.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 AM

I had success with EMDR for a while...I need to go back again actually it's been a few years, I feel counseling only goes so far.
Old 04-07-2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychophd View Post
Gentlemen,

I'm a psychologist and work with PTSD. I specialize in anxiety disorders and related (such as PTSD). I've also done some of the research (mostly on Laotian and Cambodian civilians who experienced war trauma). There is solid treatment out there, but there are not many people who are really well versed in doing it. EMDR has some efficacy. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) with a focus on exposure and response prevention (ERP) has significant research that indicates it's a useful approach. Typically it's around 20 weekly sessions but there's a lot of variations (intensity or trauma, type, etc).

There are some good resources out there. ADAA.org, ABCT.org are really good, as is ACT.org. If any of you need some help of how to find help and where to go, please feel free to email me at hsia@ocanxietycenter.com. You can also PM me, but email is preferred.

I also do some pro bono work in addition to my regular fee work in certain situations. If I can be of help, please let me know.
Can being treated for PTSD be used to take away gun rights? My son-in-law refuses to seek treatment that we feel would help him adjust. He was a Marine infantrymen in Iraq and recently returned from Afghanistan. He loves to hunt and is terrified he will lose his 2A rights if he gets treated.
Old 04-07-2016, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

They cant take your gun away unless you state you are planning to harm others or yourself.
Old 04-07-2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
They cant take your gun away unless you state you are planning to harm others or yourself.
and that is what I keep telling him but he suspects that just being treated might not be an issue now, but later if the government decides to lower the bar. I have him going to our returning vets church group that I attend and this is helping, but his issues are due to sleep irregularity. Even though he gets to sleep, he can't get back to sleep after waking from nightmares that come on about twice a week and some times more often, but are beginning to trail off it seems (I hope). During 4th of July he watched fireworks from the roof top with friends and he about came unglued and attempted to dive off the roof. No surprise there as he had returned the month before from Afghanistan.

Last edited by lhecker51; 04-07-2016 at 4:30 PM..
Old 04-07-2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post

If you hear of any, I have a son-in-law that refuses to be treated for sleep disorders out of fear of being disarmed in the future and applying for LE career.
Old 04-07-2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Vet Center does that I believe. Still, if you are trying to become LEO or so... they could get hold of those information since most agency will make you sign weaver form that let's them get your military records.
And they wonder why many vets go untreated.
Old 04-13-2016, 7:27 AM

I can tell you firsthand they won't take your guns away if you seek treatment. I've mentioned a few experiences I've had that could have had them taken away but you will only get reported if at the time you are speaking to them you have a plan and the intent to harm yourself or a specific person. That's just the way the law is written out. TBH, you could tell someone you feel like killing people but don't have a plan or intent at the moment and you are good to go. Although I see that as a flaw in the law my example won't get you reported. Should it?? Not my call.

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 04-13-2016, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fine line OP **

Criminal threats is the crime of putting someone in fear. California Penal Code 422 PC defines the crime of "criminal threats" (formerly known as terrorist threats). you communicate the threat verbally, in writing, or via an electronically transmitted device.

I know a few examples of people simply saying, "I am going to kick someones ***" and it has led to a prompt dispatched call.
Old 04-13-2016, 8:46 AM

The other side of the coin is they do nothing. OP if you are being offered help take it. Also, thank you for your service.

I was put through an evaluation which culminated in me being told I'm fine.

I expressed that I had better things to do than be put through the VA grinder and that I am seeking help for a reason.

"nope, you're fine."

Well then, problem solved

Quote:
VA offers tons of different types of treatment....

1) Group setting
2) One on One meeting
3) PTSD Dog treatment program
4) medication and non medication program
5) VA will send you to Kansas City for 3 months program as well so they will give you temp.... 100% rating while you are there...
6) If you are special force member or combat field MOS with certain medals.. they will put you through special combat intake PTSD treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico1404 View Post
Fine line OP **

Criminal threats is the crime of putting someone in fear. California Penal Code 422 PC defines the crime of "criminal threats" (formerly known as terrorist threats). you communicate the threat verbally, in writing, or via an electronically transmitted device.

I know a few examples of people simply saying, "I am going to kick someones ***" and it has led to a prompt dispatched call.
The words "going to" shows intent. The words "I feel like" don't show the intent. It's a word game and in very familiar with it.

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 04-13-2016, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

You can seek much help from VA, but just try not to say these 3 magic thingi...

1) feel like hurting myself
2) feel like hurting someone else
3) I cant manage myself anymore
Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Not a veteran but have a contribution. It's been my experience that as the years have ticked by agencies have become a lot more understanding about hiring guys who have sought PTSD treatment after deployments.

In the early 2000's it was a bit of a flag but so many cops are also in the guard. As those guys deployed and came back many needed treatment upon their return. It puts a human face on the situation when it's not just an applicant anymore, but a guy you know to be a squared away good cop who needs the treatment. Also, many of us have seen the majority of those folks get help and return to full productive duty again. There have been a few guys I've seen not be able to pull out of it, but typically those were guys who refused multiple interventions and refused to get any kind of help. The booze just takes over, bad decisions compound... don't let yourself get there.
Old 05-20-2016, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

It's hard... country asked us to do violent things without turning into a monster... it can get tough after coming back.
Old 05-24-2016, 3:43 PM

Default New here

Guys, new here and joined because I was seeking information on CA guns laws, but loved seeing this thread. Being an active member and Afghan vet I've got my demons and good to see people talking about it. I've seeked medical assistance and it appeared PTSD was a four letter word. Seemed the staff didn't want to even breach the subject. Was prescribed medication and didn't like who I was on it, nor did my family. Currently in a bit of a rut and drinking too much, but feel like I'm making my way out. Many of you said the group thing wasn't for you and I feel the same way. The one thing I have found to be therapeutic is sharing with someone I trust who has been through similar experiences. Conversations have their highs and lows, but usually ends in laughter about that dumbass in your group or something stupid that happened. Keep up the discussion and lets help each other out. -G8r-
Old 05-25-2016, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8r View Post
Guys, new here and joined because I was seeking information on CA guns laws, but loved seeing this thread. Being an active member and Afghan vet I've got my demons and good to see people talking about it. I've seeked medical assistance and it appeared PTSD was a four letter word. Seemed the staff didn't want to even breach the subject. Was prescribed medication and didn't like who I was on it, nor did my family. Currently in a bit of a rut and drinking too much, but feel like I'm making my way out. Many of you said the group thing wasn't for you and I feel the same way. The one thing I have found to be therapeutic is sharing with someone I trust who has been through similar experiences. Conversations have their highs and lows, but usually ends in laughter about that dumbass in your group or something stupid that happened. Keep up the discussion and lets help each other out. -G8r-
Yeah, the .gov doesn't like dealing with it. Keep pushing.

In regards to "drinking too much", watch how you what they call "self medicate". There is a fine line there. Tread lightly. Most of us have been there.

Keep on laughing! It's great medicine for many aliments.

Thank you for your service!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-30-2016, 3:43 PM

So much awesome in here. Great to see vets come together and help each other.

My journey to wellness started with me at rock bottom inside a bottle. I was about to lose my wife and on the verge of my command tossing me out of the Corps. I came to my senses and sought treatment. The first naval doctor I was assigned was... middle eastern. Not the greatest of choices for a a OIF vet. No disrespect to the doctor but we gotta be real... talking to a different doctor one on one I found it too easy to just lie and make everything seem ok (what I had been doing for 2 years). The first thing that really made a big help was to STOP DRINKING. I didn't have a drink for over 6 months. That gave me clarity. Talking with my close friends about my problems, their problems, really helped. Knowing I wasn't in the fight alone, that my closest friends were in it with me, gave me a lot of confidence.

I also got my butt outdoors, as many have said. I kept my mind busy tinkering and making things. I picked up carpentry as a hobby. Then gunsmithing and reloading, I went head first into hunting and fishing, my childhood pleasures.

The biggest advice I could give someone from my experience would be to not hide it. Don't lie to others about it and don't lie to yourself about it. It won't ever go away. Find your closest friends who will support you without judging, close family that is there to see you through the end. You will have to make changes in your life, accept that. But also accept you can beat it and be the guy (gal) you've always been. GOOD LUCK!!