Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 PM

Default For those that know

What are some of the MOS that are in demand or on the rise right now? Opportunity for advancement, transferability into civilian life, signing bonuses, etc. Anything interesting I should know.

I've never been so "successful" yet restless and unfulfilled in my entire life. I remember gramps said go AF like him, rest of my family was Marines. Dad never joined. I regret not joining years ago when I was a kid. Haven't gone to work in a week because I'm just looking around at my opportunities. Just exploring my options while I'm half way to 50 and my kid is knee high.
Old 09-22-2016, 8:10 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Look at the state of modern warfare we engage in and use that to help guide you: we're politically terrified of "boots on ground" warfare these days, and instead try to dominate the rhelm of C4ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Computer, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance), cyber warfare, and aviation (Both manned and unmanned).

When you talk about transferability into civilian life... do you mean to defense contracting, or true civilian jobs? Anything that will give you a security clearance and C4ISR/airborne sensor experience can be very valuable to government agencies and defense contractors; likewise with intel and linguist MOS'/Rates. Alternatively, construction, IT, medical jobs translate better to the general workforce if you don't want to remain inside the government/defense workforce after you get out.

What's not marketable right now are the "door kicker" jobs... my friends in infantry and combat arms fields are spending more time in garrison/training than doing real-world stuff... and the civilian resume market is still saturated with combat veterans who have multiple tours under their belt from the conflicts last decade. The obvious exception to this is... as always... special operations forces.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 09-23-2016, 3:36 AM

6174, Huey Crewchief. They are in high demand, you get all the mechanical knowledge in addition to gaining aircrew (flying) expierence that could be transferred over to any sort of life flight EMS jobs. Or any sort of cyber warfare, good luck.
Old 09-23-2016, 9:09 AM

Well there is Intel. Depending what you do and what you make of it with your time in and any degree you acquire while in you could leave the service and try for a good federal job. There is Cyber too which probably with the skills you learn in the service could have HUGE payoffs outside of the military. That being said. It is HARD...HARD..to just jump right into Cyber without any experience in the subject matter.
Old 09-23-2016, 4:58 PM

Depending upon what service you select will play a large role in many of these questions. I am retired Navy so I can't answer for the other services; however, your best bet would be to call a local recruiter and ask them what the current critical and undermanned NEC's/MOS's are and see if you may be interested in any of them. For quick advancement and large reenlistment bonuses, you can't go wrong with nukes but seeing as you have a little one at home, you won't see much of them. If I had to do it all over again, I would have finished college before I joined and went the commission route.
Old 09-23-2016, 8:21 PM

I concur with Col Haas. Cyber, electronic warfare, unmanned aerial, medical, space, etc.
Old 09-23-2016, 8:24 PM

You can call recruiters and ask which career fields have bonuses this quarter. That will give you the best idea of a promising career.
Old 09-24-2016, 5:43 AM

For Army Reserve, 88K (watercraft operator) and 88L (watercraft engineer) are begging for people. For civi jobs, 88k is limited to boat and ship work, not bad paying, but usually away from home a lot. 88L can branch out to marine engineer, diesel mechanic, industrial electrician, HVAC, etc. There is also a need for Maritime Warrants, 880a for deck and 881a for engine. Last I heard, there's a $20000 signing bonus for them.

Cross levels from the Navy and CG usually have no problems getting into these MOS'es.

Downfall is a lot of schooling, and it's a high tempo MOS. There's a heavy boat unit in Port Hueneme, other units in Vallejo, Tacoma WA and Hawaii

If your getting out of active Navy, CG, or AF, and are thinking about going into the reserves, you might want to look at the army's warrant officer program. Most MOS'es have a significant signing bonus, as long as you do things correctly. Google WOCC, and under the "warrant officer program" link you'll find a link to the recruiting page

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/

Last edited by kenl; 09-24-2016 at 6:00 AM..
Old 09-25-2016, 8:59 AM

Last edited by Desertdoc; 09-25-2016 at 9:05 AM..
Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw559 View Post
What are some of the MOS that are in demand or on the rise right now? Opportunity for advancement, transferability into civilian life, signing bonuses, etc. Anything interesting I should know.

I've never been so "successful" yet restless and unfulfilled in my entire life. I remember gramps said go AF like him, rest of my family was Marines. Dad never joined. I regret not joining years ago when I was a kid. Haven't gone to work in a week because I'm just looking around at my opportunities. Just exploring my options while I'm half way to 50 and my kid is knee high.
Speaking for the Navy you can google the rating community manager stats, gives things like advancement rates and planned growth/current manning. Master-at-Arms is being grown to a massive extent, advancement is through the roof.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend military service to very many people. Shoot me a PM and i'll answer as much as I can, and hopefully give you some insight so you make the best possible choice for your situation.