Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-28-2017, 7:19 PM

Default Few more mods on my 22/45 Mk II

I did a trigger job and added wood grip panels to my 22/45 about 20 years ago and shot it on and off that way until a couple of years ago when I added a dot sight (actually tried a few). That gave me some renewed interest in shooting it, since it was probably my least shot 22LR pistol.

Anyway, although I love the TRS-25, since it's light, has a clear dot, and easy adjustments, I've always wanted to go with something smaller and lower profile. The obvious choice, the Burris Fastfire, was just a litte out of my range, but recently I decided to start looking for a decent deal on a FF3.

Anyway, while watching for deals, I saw a pretty good deal on the FF2 and couldn't resist ($119 new). Heck, that was the model that was drooliing over at the time I bought the TRS anyway. I needed to find a good low profile mount to do the sight justice, and decided to go with the Burris dovetail mount.

Wow, the sight is even smaller than I'd expected, and sits really low with the dovetail mouunt. In addition, it's super light at less than an ounce, and just over an ounce with the mount. I removed the TRS, the shorted Clark Customs mount, and the iron sights, and their total weight was 5.6 oz. Actually, the iron sight (front and rear) weigh the same as the Burris and dovetail mount!

Since the weather's been crappy, I got bored and did a couple of other mods, including adding rubber finger grooves for a little better grip, and made an extended mag release button. I also adjusted the trigger take up and over travel while I had things apart. Can't wait for the weather to clear up and get to the range.

Before pic, with TRS dot sight:

Side by side of the TRS and Burris, rubber finger grooves added:

Bottom view of the extended mag button. I made is from the hacked off shank of a 5/16" bolt that I trued up and checkered with my 30 lpi file. JB Welded to the stock/modified (checkered) release. I still need to hit it with some cold blue:

My next mod will be to add a full length custom Picatinny rail/rib. Planning on making the portion over the barrel ventilated, but I think it'll be challenging since I don't own a mill.

Last edited by RawHP; 01-28-2017 at 7:22 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

wood grips look good

BRASS for sale 223/556, 9mm- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=849402
Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Nice looking Ruger.
Steel Challenge time?

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 8:29 AM

So I bought a picatinny blank and started planning how I would attempt to fabricate a rail without a mill, but procrastinating a little too. While on ebay, I saw someone selling an old stock B-Square rail, but it was designed for a 6 7/8" barrel, and the rear mounting point used the dovetail, that I was already using for my FastFire II...but on the other hand, it was already machined for the barrel and receiver, my biggest challenge.

Anyway, since all I'd need to do is chop both ends, refinish them, and drill and countersink some holes for the front mounting screw, which uses the front sight hole, and another in the rear that would use one of my scope rail holes that I'd drilled and tapped a while ago, I went for it.

Here are some near complete pics. The rail didn't exactly match the contour of the barrel, so I ended up bedding it for a perfect mating surface and alignment, but that was easier than starting from scratch. I relieved a portion of the rail right in front of the dot sight, since there is a tiny sensor that controls the dot brightness located there. I'll do a range test to see if I need to relieve a little more, but it seems to be working fine.

The balance of the pistol feels even better now, since the added weight is low and forward. Also, the rail really helps acquire the dot more easily, which is a big added bonus. Here's what it looks like looking down the barrel.

Next I'm going to get a set of Redfield see-though rings. Based on some quick measurements with my calipers, the rings will allow my Bushnell 2x6 scope tube to just clear the top of the dot sight, and the slight offset of the rings will match the mount slots. That will be fun option play with that won't make me remove the dot sight.

I may also fabricate or adapt a very low profile front sight to add to the front of the rail. Even though I won't have a rear sight, I think it can still be functional if the batter ever goes out. Probably something like this, but a little lower and without the sharp hook:
Old 03-05-2017, 9:53 AM
1911 & AR-15 fan
CGN Contributor

I want one .... how much?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

I, seriously, would call tandemkross and offer to sell your idea. They seem like the kind of company that would be all over an idea like this and would be able to mass produce this.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 03-06-2017, 6:14 AM

Did some searching for a front sight that will work with my setup and decided on this:

Looking through my dot sight, this front sight will co-witness with the dot, when viewed right above the center of the small hump of the dot sight (where the led beam shoots up from). The sight is low enough to not get in the way, but good backup if the battery goes out. I'm still deciding whether to mill in a slot or to mount it on top of the rail, but i'll have a better idea after seeing the actual dimensions.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 PM

Well the fiber optic front sight was way to small, so it's going back. I'm probably going to order an OEM iron sight from Midway, then cut it down, then fit it to the rail; but I'm still researching other options, including buying a length of aluminum "tee" bar and fabricating from scratch.

On a positive note, the Leupold Rifleman see-through rings fit perfectly with about 1/16" clearance between the scope and dot sight. I think it will be fun to shoot at 50 yards with the setup, set at 6x. Looking through the dot and seeing where the crosshairs land, it looks like it's already good enough to get on paper for zeroing.

Just enough clearance to not interfere with the power adustments:

Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 AM

Last installment; I think I'm done tinkering for now. I decided to stay with the small fiberoptic front sight after trying a few things and realizing anything bigger would mess up my sight picture on the dot sight, since it's mounted so low.

One problem was that the screw used to mount it is ultra small and short, so I felt it wouldn't have enough purchase with the aluminum rail and would be at risk of stripping out. I decided to fabricate a small steel mounting plate and drill and tap it for the 6-48 screw. I also had to bevel it to fit into the grove on the rail and drill an access hole for the front mounting screw of the rail.

I did all of the tweaks to the rail, before JB Welding the plate to the rail. That including fine tuning the front and rear contours, and adding a little divot to the area in front of the light sensor of the dot sight, and finally polishing it. After attaching the mounting plate, I hit it with some black spray paint, and screwed on the fiberoptic sighht.

I think it came out OK in the end. When viewing the front sight through the dot sight at the angle in the first pic, the dot cowitnesses exactly with the fiberoptic sight, so if the battery ever dies, that's the position that would be on target. But under normal shooting, with the red dot in the center of the wndow, the fiberoptic sight sits low enough to not interfere with aiming.

I think improved balance with improve the shooting experience during the next range trip. I'll play around with it at 25 yards with the dot first, then I'll mount the scope and try it out at 50.

Last edited by RawHP; 03-16-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 2:09 AM

If I'm anyone is interested In selling there ruger I need one for rimfire challenge
Old 03-31-2017, 3:37 PM

I had a productive day at the range today, even though it was pretty windy (17mph) I was on the 25 yard side, so it wasn't as big of a factor. I was on a mission to do three things...

1) Test out my home defense shotgun, which I bought 25 years ago and never fired; but got motivated after adding an extension tube and adding QD sling mounts and a sling.
2) Finish breaking in my Khar CW9 that I'd run 150 rounds through on my last trip.
3) Sight in the scope and red dot on my 22/45.

My shoulder was getting a little sore by the time I got to shooting my 22/45, but I have to say shooting a few dozen rounds of 00 buck is pretty satisfying. I decided that I would be shooting standard velocity with my scope, since I'm really only going to be using it at 50 yard or more, but I wanted to try a few types, including some match ammo.

What I found (and now remember) is that the parallax is fixed for 100 yards (I originally had got it to play around with my 357), so slight movements of my eye would move the crosshairs quite a bit. Took a few bulls to get it sighted in, but I managed to get some so-so 5 shot groups with CCI SV. I also tried some GECO Match, and Wolf Match Extra, with only marginal improvement, I think because the parallax made it too hard to get the most out of the ammo; plus I was only using a rear rifle bag for a rest and hand supporting the grip. Still, I think at 50, with less of an effect from parallax, it may do pretty well, and maybe the match ammo will have more of an edge.

25 yards, 3/4" bulls:

Then I removed the scope and sighted in my red dot. It was a little more frustrating, since I'm spoiled by the click adjustments from my old TRS-25. With the Burris it felt like small adjustment made big changes to the point of impact, so it was easy to overadjust. It got a little better once it got closer to target though. Some of the frustration was also that I forgot my spotting scope, so I had to use my handgun scope to see the holes. For the red dot, I sighted using high velocity plinking ammo, since I'm only going to be shooting at 25 yards with it. I used some Armscor, that I was trying for the first time. Didn't feel as accurate as MiniMags, but seemed to keep most rounds withing the 1-1/2" bull:

Next trip will be using the scope at 50 yards, if the weather cooperates.