Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 1:14 PM

I can understand tannerite bans. It's a fire hazard and we already have enough issues with wildfires in california.
Old 11-04-2012, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFD1 View Post
So how can the manufacturers that sell the stuff say it's "50 state legal"? I'm sure there are shops in CA that sell this stuff.

Can we get a CGF intervention/ clarification?
We tried. Tannerite refused to cooperate.

Our position is that Tannerite is, at best, risky. It will probably be an expensive trial for whomever some California DA chooses to prosecute.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Im sorry to say that as a tannerite dealer I will continue to sell the product here in Cali. This is until There is a ruling from a Judge, not the Opinion of the riverside District Attorney.

The case in Riverside has been continued and has not gone to trial yet. I will continue to sell here in Southern Cali until I recieve a letter from a judge of the superior Court of California saying that it is illegal.

Since there is no law on the books that says tannerite specifically is illegal. Which means it is legal until the ten percent decides to do something stupid with it and gets a judge to decide it isnt. I still use it myself in the manner it was intended to be used.

Tannerite is legal in 49 states it is Illegal in Maryland. I do keep up with rules and regulations.

As for the Shockwave targets they are of similar Material therefore classified as a similar product. Like brand Name and Generic groceries.

Now as for the KTLA 5 news report I want to point out that some of the mixed tannerite targets were in the fire and did not explode since they can not be lit on fire with a heat source. Only with the Impact of a high velocity Projectile. The amounts they used in the car and bus were 200 to 500 time what is actually legal to use in this state. SInce it is illegal to mix more then 1 pound of Black Powder or Tannerite for personal use.

I will be Contacting Tannerite threw the website asking for clarification of this issue as I suggest all of you calgunners should as well.

THe letter that I have showing its legality which was posted on another thread was written by Lawyers that are licensed to practice Law in the State of California And will be tested in the Court of Law in the county of riverside. When the judge has made the decision on this matter I will Post up here what I am allowed to post by ruling of the judge. I give my word if it is deemed to be Illegal by the Judge I will Post here and stop selling the targets in the state of california. SInce I live so close to Arizona Ill just have to go there to have fun.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

I use it all the time.
I know a lot of people are scared of a couple of bully DAs and their 'anti' agenda but I am not
a few weeks ago while shooting out at spenceville I had a sheriff come up to me right after I shot a small container of it and asked me what I was shooting at. I told him tannerite and he didn't even know what it was. I showed him the container and told him they were target indicators so you knew that you hit the target at longer distances (I was shooting the farthest point out) he said "well you can't shoot anything but paper targets and clay pigeons out here, so wrap it up OK."
I told him yes sir and went about my business.
he came back and talked to me about my AR and I showed him my 9mm AR which he asked to shoot but I was out of ammo. then he said "awww, well next time then."

i'm certain that if I were using the stuff to put inside a microwave or pumpkin or something like a lot of people do... that would be a different story. using it as a target indicator vs using it as a destructive device is where I draw the line. I have no issues with the grey lines - as numerous people have already explained... chem teachers in high-school, and anyone carrying any number of regularly used items could be in violation of this law... we should look at the intent of the law

you don't rise to the occasion,
you just fall back on your level of training.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks like Darwin has a couple of self-nominees for the awards show.

-Brandon
Old 11-05-2012, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
{extracted from another post, really more relevant here }

Tannerite keeps rearing its ugly head on these forums. Tannerite is a (purportedly Federally legal) compound that makes big booms.

I note no legal material quoted by Tannerite deals with California legal issues. And Tannerite is from an Oregon dude who probably has no idea of our laws & restrictions.

I'm pretty confident that anything that goes boom, with some notable exceptions for 'safe & sane' fireworks and gunpowder for reloading, is most likely a no-no. Hell, CA even bans putting dry ice and water in a bottle as an explosive device!

Here's the relevant Penal Code stuff - look at underlined/bolded areas:

12301PC (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.

(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

(3) Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore).... {snipped as not relevant to Tannerite issue}

(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, {...snip...} except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

(5) Any breakable container which contains a flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 150 degrees Fahrenheit or less and has a wick or similar device capable of being ignited, other than a device which is commercially manufactured primarily for the purpose of illumination.

(6) Any sealed device containing dry ice (CO2) or other chemically reactive substances assembled for the purpose of causing an explosion by a chemical reaction.
(b) The term "explosive," as used in this chapter, shall mean any explosive defined in Section 12000 of the Health and Safety Code.

So CA Penal code sec. 12301(a)(6) would readily describe any combinations of chemicals in a container, producing a large amount of gas/heat in a very short time span, as a 'destructive device'. Perhaps if it were an open container that might help - but if you were popped after the explosion, it gets hairy.

CA 12303PC sets up general prohibitions for possession of destructive devices:
12303PC Any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state, possesses any destructive device, other than fixed ammunition of a caliber greater than .60 caliber, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a public offense and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed one year, or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both such fine and imprisonment.

We have some 'escalator' penalties for transportation - could include driving your Tannerite around in certain situations:
12303PC. Every person who willfully does any of the following is guilty of a felony and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for two, four, or six years:

(a) Carries any explosive or destructive device on any vessel, aircraft, car, or other vehicle that transports passengers for hire.
(b) Places or carries any explosive or destructive device, while on board any such vessel, aircraft, car or other vehicle, in any hand baggage, roll, or other container.
(c) Places any explosive or destructive device in any baggage which is later checked with any common carrier.

Plus, there's reduced wiggle room in court:
12311PC. No person convicted of a violation of this chapter shall be granted probation, and the execution of the sentence imposed upon such person shall not be suspended by the court.

Finally, we have treatment of "constructive possession" of the precursor compounds:
12312PC. Every person who possesses any substance, material, or any combination of substances or materials, with the intent to make any destructive device or any explosive without first obtaining a valid permit to make such destructive device or explosive, is guilty of a felony, and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.

Thus, having unmixed Tannerite precursor binary components is likely just as bad an offense as actually having mixed Tannerite!

Y'all've been warned.
I wasn't aware of the dry ice thing. Jeeze, when will the nannies decide enough is enough?

Since when is carbon dioxide a destructive substance? Will they attempt to ban the atmosphere next?
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 11-05-2012, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicspire View Post
I can understand tannerite bans. It's a fire hazard and we already have enough issues with wildfires in california.
Gasoline, lighter fluid, kerosine, Duraflame logs, even a magnifying glass on a combustible material...where does it stop? They are all flammable, so we cannot merely ban things because they COULD start a wild fire.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM

its not a fire hazard. I use it and again....on top of burn piles doused with either diesel or gas..neither was lit from tannerite going off. pure fud
Old 11-05-2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I wasn't aware of the dry ice thing. Jeeze, when will the nannies decide enough is enough?

Since when is carbon dioxide a destructive substance? Will they attempt to ban the atmosphere next?
My former neighbor's 18 year old kid was arrested and charged with felony manufacturing and felony possession of explosive devices (dry ice bombs) on the 4th of July a few years back. He was held on (IIRC) $300+k bail. Sat in jail for just over 3 weeks until his PD had him plead to a misdemeanor charge with time served + probation. So yeah, serious business there.
Old 11-06-2012, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauga View Post
My former neighbor's 18 year old kid was arrested and charged with felony manufacturing and felony possession of explosive devices (dry ice bombs) on the 4th of July a few years back. He was held on (IIRC) $300+k bail. Sat in jail for just over 3 weeks until his PD had him plead to a misdemeanor charge with time served + probation. So yeah, serious business there.
last year my neighbor was making dry ice bombs on the 4th of july while we were all outside BBQing. This was inside city limits and the local PD came by and told him that was a "big no-no" and that was pretty much it! they asked if we had any fireworks and I told him No, because they are all banned and we can't even buy them anywhere. (no fireworks in my county, not even sparklers) he said "I see you guys are just trying to have fun, but it's illegal to make those bombs" my neighbor said "it's not a bomb, you can't blow anything up with that!" and the officer said "Yea I know that, but they are still not legal."
I couldn't help but laugh... here i am open carrying my AR-15 and they didn't even look sideways at me... yet they got upset over a mountain dew bottle with some ice in it.

you don't rise to the occasion,
you just fall back on your level of training.
Old 11-06-2012, 3:06 PM

In theory you could possess tannerite if you didn't have a rifle or pistol. As without them you have no way to detonate it ??

Although at that stage it'd be pointless to have it in the first place..........
Old 11-06-2012, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzavc View Post
In theory you could possess tannerite if you didn't have a rifle or pistol. As without them you have no way to detonate it ??

Although at that stage it'd be pointless to have it in the first place..........
No.

Explosives are explosives whether or not detonation system is present.

Think: stick of TNT without a fuse... legal? 'Course not.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-06-2012, 7:08 PM

Not debating legality, I don't have the cash to defend myself, and since CGF has said - use it and reap the consequences, I don't think they will be assisting in a defense.

The new dicks sporting goods in Visalia has a few shelves full of the stuff for sale.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
{extracted from another post, really more relevant here }

Tannerite keeps rearing its ugly head on these forums. Tannerite is a (purportedly Federally legal) compound that makes big booms.

I note no legal material quoted by Tannerite deals with California legal issues. And Tannerite is from an Oregon dude who probably has no idea of our laws & restrictions.

I'm pretty confident that anything that goes boom, with some notable exceptions for 'safe & sane' fireworks and gunpowder for reloading, is most likely a no-no. Hell, CA even bans putting dry ice and water in a bottle as an explosive device!

Here's the relevant Penal Code stuff - look at underlined/bolded areas:
12301PC (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.

(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

(3) Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore).... {snipped as not relevant to Tannerite issue}

(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, {...snip...} except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

(5) Any breakable container which contains a flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 150 degrees Fahrenheit or less and has a wick or similar device capable of being ignited, other than a device which is commercially manufactured primarily for the purpose of illumination.

(6) Any sealed device containing dry ice (CO2) or other chemically reactive substances assembled for the purpose of causing an explosion by a chemical reaction.
(b) The term "explosive," as used in this chapter, shall mean any explosive defined in Section 12000 of the Health and Safety Code.
So CA Penal code sec. 12301(a)(6) would readily describe any combinations of chemicals in a container, producing a large amount of gas/heat in a very short time span, as a 'destructive device'. Perhaps if it were an open container that might help - but if you were popped after the explosion, it gets hairy.

CA 12303PC sets up general prohibitions for possession of destructive devices:
12303PC Any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state, possesses any destructive device, other than fixed ammunition of a caliber greater than .60 caliber, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a public offense and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed one year, or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both such fine and imprisonment.
We have some 'escalator' penalties for transportation - could include driving your Tannerite around in certain situations:
12303PC. Every person who willfully does any of the following is guilty of a felony and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for two, four, or six years:
(a) Carries any explosive or destructive device on any vessel, aircraft, car, or other vehicle that transports passengers for hire.
(b) Places or carries any explosive or destructive device, while on board any such vessel, aircraft, car or other vehicle, in any hand baggage, roll, or other container.
(c) Places any explosive or destructive device in any baggage which is later checked with any common carrier.
Plus, there's reduced wiggle room in court:
12311PC. No person convicted of a violation of this chapter shall be granted probation, and the execution of the sentence imposed upon such person shall not be suspended by the court.
Finally, we have treatment of "constructive possession" of the precursor compounds:
12312PC. Every person who possesses any substance, material, or any combination of substances or materials, with the intent to make any destructive device or any explosive without first obtaining a valid permit to make such destructive device or explosive, is guilty of a felony, and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.
Thus, having unmixed Tannerite precursor binary components is likely just as bad an offense as actually having mixed Tannerite!

Y'all've been warned.
Bill,You have just proven you are a beaurocratic jerk.. Just want to impress your agenda upon all of the public that does not know better.... Because you don't like it... Go join Obama.... There is case law existing... and more to follow. And to think I used to like you....Makes me sick.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

It's like we all said before.... When 1 person empowered doesn't like something... our constution means nothing.... the beaurocrats get their way. Thanks Bill. for proving me right...

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...

Last edited by diginit; 11-06-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
Bill,You have just proven you are a beaurocratic jerk.. Just want to impress your agenda upon all of the public that does not know better.... Because you don't like it... Go join Obama.... There is case law existing... and more to follow. And to think I used to like you....Makes me sick.
Well,

1. I don't have an agenda other than keeping gunnies outtta jail.
2. Jason Davis has opined it's illegal - good enough for me.
3. The Riverside PD has produced a memo after some fair analysis.
4. We've had at least one arrest/conviction and near loss of gunrights.

Since this is not a gun matter/2A per se I'm only interested in just keeping gunnies out of jail and aware. I have no interest one way or other in defending it since it's just a toy.

5. I don't care if you do or don't like me. Please hate my guts if you care to.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 11-07-2012, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We tried. Tannerite refused to cooperate.

Our position is that Tannerite is, at best, risky. It will probably be an expensive trial for whomever some California DA chooses to prosecute.

-Brandon
You tried and Tannerite did not cooperate? That is a LIE! I know for a FACT that Daniel Tanner called Bill Wiese and ALL his calls were IGNORED! You just lost all my respect Brandon. Bill lost it a long time ago... Because he refused to pick up a telephone and be proven wrong... So go spread propaganda elsewhere please. This is a free country. Tannerite IS legal here and daniels' attorneys will represent anyone arrested while using it WITHIN THE LAW for free. So stop saying it will cost $$$. That ploy won't work either...

Old 11-07-2012, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Watch who you're calling a liar. Why doesn't Daniel Tanner post his lawyer's opinion on California law here, or anywhere?

-Brandon
Old 11-07-2012, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Tannerite IS legal here and daniels' attorneys will represent anyone arrested while using it WITHIN THE LAW for free.
As far as guarantees go, that looks like a mighty big backdoor. Just MHO.

Can't imagine why anyone would buy that stuff, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 11-07-2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
You tried and Tannerite did not cooperate? That is a LIE! I know for a FACT that Daniel Tanner called Bill Wiese and ALL his calls were IGNORED! You just lost all my respect Brandon. Bill lost it a long time ago... Because he refused to pick up a telephone and be proven wrong... So go spread propaganda elsewhere please. This is a free country. Tannerite IS legal here and daniels' attorneys will represent anyone arrested while using it WITHIN THE LAW for free. So stop saying it will cost $$$. That ploy won't work either...
Your stridency doesn't help your argument.
Old 11-08-2012, 7:57 PM

Default Tannerite

I really don't want to get in the middle of this controversial discussion, but....when gun attorney C.D. Chuck Michele was on my "All About Guns" program yesterday he was asked about the purchase and use of Tannerite in CA. His closing remark on the subject was "do you want to be a test case?"

His comments can be heard on the re-broadcast of yesterday's show this Saturday 11-10 starting at 2:00 pm CA time on KFOK-LP-FM 95.1 in Georgetown, CA streaming at kfok.org.

Please don't call me any names...

Pat
Wednesday 12:00 - 1:00 pm CA time
Wednesday's show rebroadcast on following Saturday at 2:00 pm CA time
KFOK-LP-FM 95.1 streaming: kfok.org

Web site: www.guntalkhq.com
Shows are podcast on my website
Old 11-08-2012, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleeds View Post
I really don't want to get in the middle of this controversial discussion, but....when gun attorney C.D. Chuck Michele was on my "All About Guns" program yesterday he was asked about the purchase and use of Tannerite in CA. His closing remark on the subject was "do you want to be a test case?"

His comments can be heard on the re-broadcast of yesterday's show this Saturday 11-10 starting at 2:00 pm CA time on KFOK-LP-FM 95.1 in Georgetown, CA streaming at kfok.org.

Please don't call me any names...

Pat
It was a very informative show, Chuck made some good points. Worth listening to this Saturday
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFD1 View Post
I'm sure there are shops in CA that sell this stuff.
When I went in to pick up my new gun a few days ago, the LGS had a nice big display for sale!

I guess they didn't get the memo?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicspire View Post
Where do you get that? Tannerite poses no fire hazard.
Old 11-10-2012, 8:10 AM

I've brought this up before in other threads and I believe it is just as relevant here.

Quote:
If you detonate tannerite in an open-top container, it could not be a destructive device.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If I were next to you I'd punch you.

I never received ANY call from D.T. or I might have had a discussion.

I did receive an email, to which I eventually responded, and never heard anything back.

People smarter than Dan Tanner say "No" to Tannerite in CA.

Tellya what:
1. prearrange with Tanner
2. go to Riverside out in the sticks
3. call the DA's office and tell them you don't think the stuff is illegal
and give your exact location.
4. see if Tanner comes thru
5. be prepared to lose your gunrights for at least 18 monhts, as happened before (with a GOOD lawyer).

BTW, I'd rather spend time working on real gunrights stuff then kiddie toyz. Your ***, your cash [and from what I can infer, you don't have much of...]

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 04-17-2013, 5:56 AM

what i find kinda funny is if it is illegal, why can you buy it all over the place? old west guns in redding sells it as does alot of other gun shops. ive seen the prepackaged "exploding targets" at WALMART of all places. we mixed and shot about 5lbs of the stuff at one time sometime back and shot it, and it created a 6ft crater in the ground. nasty stuff, but as long as i can buy it legal at various gun shops in the north state, im not going to consider it as something illegal.IMHO, i dont think one single licensed firearms dealer would sell the stuff and DISPLAY IT IN THEIR STORE for god and everyone to see if there was any laws against it, or much of a risk in getting in trouble for buying and using it. courts would have a hard time convicting someone for using it. that would be like arresting someone for going to the grocery store and buying a pie,and eatng it. its ok to buy and possess it, but illegal to eat it?......on that note, i think ill rder 50lbs of the stuff and have it shipped to my home. maybe i can stir some **** up
Old 04-17-2013, 6:06 AM
Calguns Addict

IIRC, there was another arrest over Tannerite a month or two ago. I'm sure that the person arrested will be happy to know you believe the stuff to be perfectly legal.

Part of the reason there aren't more arrests is because a lot of LEOs think the stuff is legal. I know several ex-LEOs whom I think are very smart and respectable who use the stuff - they think it is legal.

If the LEOs think it is legal they aren't likely to arrest you. But the LEO who finds out you've got and mixed the stuff who doesn't think it is legal can get you prosecuted.

And the Boston Marathon atrocity isn't going to help your case. You can bet the DAs are going to be talking to each other and to LEOs and the probability of arrest and prosecution is going to go up - at least somewhat.
Old 04-17-2013, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddingShooter View Post
what i find kinda funny is if it is illegal, why can you buy it all over the place? old west guns in redding sells it as does alot of other gun shops. ive seen the prepackaged "exploding targets" at WALMART of all places. we mixed and shot about 5lbs of the stuff at one time sometime back and shot it, and it created a 6ft crater in the ground. nasty stuff, but as long as i can buy it legal at various gun shops in the north state, im not going to consider it as something illegal.IMHO, i dont think one single licensed firearms dealer would sell the stuff and DISPLAY IT IN THEIR STORE for god and everyone to see if there was any laws against it, or much of a risk in getting in trouble for buying and using it. courts would have a hard time convicting someone for using it. that would be like arresting someone for going to the grocery store and buying a pie,and eatng it. its ok to buy and possess it, but illegal to eat it?......on that note, i think ill rder 50lbs of the stuff and have it shipped to my home. maybe i can stir some **** up
Kind of like when i bought the exhaust for my truck. The guy at the muffler shop told me it wasnt legal in california but still sold it to me.
Old 04-17-2013, 7:34 AM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I don't know of any "gun" lawyer in CA who thinks tannerite is legal. I'm happy to call out CGF when they are full of it, but this isn't one of those times. Tannerite could completely ruin your life, especially with what just happened in Boston, this stuff should be treated like it is radioactive.

It just is not worth a felony charge for something that is a bit of fun (ok more than a bit). Save this stuff for when you are out of state.

BTW, I see shuriken, brass knuckles, and other stuff for sale in CA all the time. Those are felonies too.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 04-17-2013, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is California and if you have to ask if it is legal or illegal, it most likely is illegal. The way the laws go in this state is we all likely commit four or five felonies every day for which double digit prison time is mandatory. I'm sure just sitting in your easy chair has some sort of felony repercussion in this state.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 04-17-2013, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
Kind of like when i bought the exhaust for my truck. The guy at the muffler shop told me it wasnt legal in california but still sold it to me.
It's not legal to use on a street vehicle in California.......Perfectly legal to use on a vehicle not used on any street.

Thats the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Tannerite will pay your defense costs if you use it as instructed. Sometimes even if you don't.

It is sold all over the place in California.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM

If it goes BOOM! or BAM! or BANG! in Cali it must be evil...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Tannerite will pay your defense costs if you use it as instructed. Sometimes even if you don't.
Tannerite WILL NOT "PAY YOUR DEFENSE COSTS".

There are some insinuations they will, but they are misrepresentation or misunderstanding. Tannerite at best will provide 'consultations' by a non-CA law firm (Indiana, I seem to recall) having experience in fireworks matters.

THEY DO NOT DIRECTLY DEFEND YOU, and I am unaware of Tannerite *ever* paying for complete defense representation of anyone: even if you win you'll lose (ca$h).

Remember also that Tannerite says "suggested use", when 99% of people are instead using it in giant jugs to make big booms.

We have just had another bust in SoCal and a Very Good Lawyer is "on it", though at substantial cost to the individual. He's fighting not only to keep his gun rights, but needs to stay out of jail.

[The other individual I know of popped for Tannerite - it was over a decade ago - was also intensively questioned by BATF; they didn't care about CA law nor the individual but were asking all sortsa things about company's statements, behaviors, etc.]

Quote:
It is sold all over the place in California.
So are crack, meth and stolen cars.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 05-19-2013, 8:27 PM

Default Tannerite NOT legal for use on BLM land

Guys,
Got back from a desert trip (out around Ocotillo) and we were visited by a BLM Ranger. He was a K9 unit, which I've never seen before and I've been going out there for 15 years, and he informed us that Tannerite is NOT legal for use on BLM land. Apparently it was a new rule. We happened to have it with us and had to put it away. Just thought you all should know.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:45 PM
Veteran/Senior Member
CGN Contributor

You can by it off the shelf at the Guns, Fishing and other stuff in Vacaville..... Whats the big deal?
Old 05-19-2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcmcd View Post
Guys,
Got back from a desert trip (out around Ocotillo) and we were visited by a BLM Ranger. He was a K9 unit, which I've never seen before and I've been going out there for 15 years, and he informed us that Tannerite is NOT legal for use on BLM land. Apparently it was a new rule. We happened to have it with us and had to put it away. Just thought you all should know.
It's not legal for use ANYWHERE in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighter4cage View Post
You can by it off the shelf at the Guns, Fishing and other stuff in Vacaville..... Whats the big deal?
Read the rest of the thread.
Old 05-19-2013, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Sealed" ?

When I buy a 2 liter bottle of soda off of the grocery store shelf, it is 'sealed'.

After I take it home and separate the cap from the 'seal', it is no longer 'sealed'. I know of no way of re-attaching the 'seal' on a 2 liter bottle.

Old 05-19-2013, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think it is possible that a big deal has been made about this stuff. If it were that bad, I would assume that many reputable dealers wouldn't sell it. I would think that they could be held responsible (sued) if someone were convicted for using it. Bill brought up the point that crack, meth and other crap is sold in CA as well . I wasn't aware that you could buy those things at any retail shops.
Closed Thread