Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-21-2012, 6:58 AM

Default Legality of Target Shooting on Private Property in the Antelope Valley

Edit: I managed to get in contact with my local Sheriff's station; they were immensely more helpful than the main LA county station I called before. Although the answer was still no and they admitted that they just go off a shooting map they have on hand, they were willing to address my questions about the municipal code and for that I commend them.

The title pretty well gives it all away, but my family owns a plot of land in the Antelope Valley and even after digging through the LA County municipal codes, I still can't determine the legality.

The plot of land itself is ~1000 yards from the nearest home/building, and the way I was planning on orienting the range and berm puts open desert in front of you for about a mile, at which point you cross a small paved road and back to miles of endless desert. Considering the distances involved, I thought I might be in the clear as per code 13.66.040:

Quote:
13.66.040 - Discharging firearms—Restrictions generally.

A person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm in the general direction of any house, camp or place of human habitation, or in the general direction of any public highway, road, street, way, park or premises, unless the place from which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged is at least one-half mile distant from such house, camp or place of human habitation, or is at least one-half mile distant from that portion of such public highway, road, street, way, park or premises toward which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged. The exception in Section 13.66.010 to destroying or killing any predatory or dangerous animal does not apply to this section.
But then I ran into this part of the municipal code and I can't make heads nor tails of it.

Quote:
13.66.500 - Regulations in less-restricted districts.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged in the unincorporated territory lying within the boundaries of any district or area defined in this Part 3, any firearm of any kind having a firing range of, or capable of propelling any bullet, shot or missile for any distance of one-half mile or more.

(Ord. 7281 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 2 150, 1929.)

13.66.510 - District No. 51—Antelope Valley area.

District No. 51, Antelope Valley area, includes all that part of the territory of the county of Los Angeles within the following described boundaries:

A.

Beginning at the intersection of the easterly boundary of the county of Los Angeles as same existed on May 20, 1994 and Fort Tejon Road; thence westerly along said road to the intersection with Bob's Gap Road; thence generally southerly along said last-mentioned road to the intersection with Valyermo Road; thence northwesterly along said last-mentioned road to the intersection with Pallett Creek Road; thence westerly along said last-mentioned road to the intersection with Longview Road; thence southerly along Longview Road to the boundary of the Angeles National Forest, as same existed on said date, along the southerly line of Section 14, Township 4 North, Range 10 West, S.B.M.; thence westerly along the boundary of said Angeles National Forest and following the same in all its various courses to the intersection with Angeles Forest Highway; thence northerly along said highway to the intersection with Sierra Highway at Vincent; thence southwesterly along said last-mentioned highway to the Edison Company's Antelope Mesa Transmission Line; thence northwesterly along said transmission line to the crest of Portal Ridge in Section 10, Township 6 North, Range 13 West, S.B.M.; thence in a general northwesterly direction along the crest of Portal Ridge to the west line of Section 6, said last-mentioned township and range; thence northerly along section line to the northwest corner of said last-mentioned section; thence westerly along township line to the southwest corner of Section 36, Township 7 North, Range 14 West, S.B.M.; thence northerly along section lines to the northeast corner of Section 14, said last-mentioned township and range, at the intersection of 110th Street West and Avenue I-Lancaster Road; thence westerly along Lancaster Road and following the same in all its various courses and curves to the intersection with 167th Street West; thence southerly along 167th Street West to the south line of Section 1, Township 7 North, Range 15 West, S.B.M. (along Avenue H); thence westerly along section lines to the Los Angeles City Aqueduct; thence generally northwesterly and northerly along said Aqueduct to the northerly boundary of the county of Los Angeles; thence easterly and southerly along the boundary of the county of Los Angeles to the point of beginning.

B.

Excepting therefrom any area included within any other district described in this chapter.
My first problem with it is that after mapping out the boundaries it lists, myself, they don't make any sense. So I'm going off the common-sense notion that being in the Antelope valley, I'm safe to assume the plot of land falls under this code.

My second problem with it, is that I can't tell what it pertains to. Common sense would tell me that it pertains only to public, unincorporated land and not private property. But then again, laws have never been common sense.

Throughly confused, I called the Sheriff's department and received an obviously bull**** answer: "You cannot legally fire a weapon anywhere in LA county except on designated ranges." Even as confused as I am, I know that's complete bunk because none of the municipal codes I just listed would exist.

I'm hoping you guys can help me figure this out, but if all else fails, I have one final question about another part of this municipal code.

Quote:
13.66.030 - Exceptions to chapter applicability—Rifle or target ranges.

The provisions of this chapter shall not be deemed or construed to prohibit, within any district or area created under the provisions of this chapter, the establishment or maintenance of any pistol, rifle or target range, nor to prohibit the discharge at any target thereon, by any person using such range, of any bow and arrow, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearms in or on such range, in the event that such range is so installed, constructed, safeguarded, equipped and used as to adequately prevent any arrow, bullet, shot or missile from being projected beyond the confines of such range.
Other counties have this exception as well, but a few make the clarification that they must be licensed and/or permitted ranges. LA County makes no such distinction and it makes me wonder if just the act of building a large berm and clearing a safe range out on your property allows you to enact this exception. I doubt it, but I'd love some clarity on the issue.

Last edited by Justin Brimm; 12-21-2012 at 7:29 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 8:04 AM

I live here in the AV as well. I usually don't hassle with shooting anywhere here because of too many horror stories. You also have to remember it may very well be legal but that doesnt mean the sheriff wont try to charge you. Then you could potentially be spending alot of time and money fighting it in court. I usually go up to "a place to shoot" or I go out to Rosamond/Mojave area. Its just not worth the hassle. There is a new gunstore in palmdale called "the raspy rabbit" and they are looking into opening a indoor shooting range.
Old 12-21-2012, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Palmdale sheriff station seems to be relatively unconcerned about this. I live in a pocket where I believe it is legal for me to fire weapons with a range of less than half a mile (i.e. shotguns, bows etc.) but not rifles or pistols. However in fifteen years, although I hear shooting quite often, (and not just shotguns) the only time I know when the deputies came out looking was when the LAPD cops who lived along the road at that time called in that someone was shooting too close to their house. Not that you should take this anecdotal muttering as evidence that you should or could shoot anywhere in the A.V. (especially near my house )

A Place To Shoot is good, but too far away, I prefer Oak Tree Gun Club for pistol shooting. Rosamund/Mojave is good for rifles or pistols.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 12-21-2012 at 8:29 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 4:29 PM

The overwhelming majority of LA County is a designated 'no shoot' zone for handguns/rifles unless hunting.

There are designated ranges (some open to the public) which are exempted.

There are a few 'shotgun only' zones.

The best maps available are quite dated - but its all there is. Here's a link: http://www.scvquwf.com/LA%20Co.%20Closure%20Maps.htm