Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Ebay leather cheek rest wet formed to CZ 455

Found only a few cheek rest options online. Either it's Kydex (and drill holes), some laced leather units and mostly Cordura and Velcro strap models.

Velcro, Cordura and Kydex do not sound like they'd feel good on my face.

I settled on a leather model out of eBay. When it arrived, I could not get the cheek pad situated on the top of the stock. That's were I needed it.

Soaked the leather in water for 2 hours. Then I wrapped the butt stock in Saran wrap. After the leather was fully soaked and pliable, I used some old sneaker laces to tie it on good and cinched it to the stock. 24-48 hours to dry and I'll have a custom molded cheek rest. Will be finishing it off the included leather lace.

Just sharing.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 12-20-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12-20-2015, 1:17 PM

Is this on an american-style stock? I am interested to know what scope and ring combination you are using for you to go this route.
Old 12-20-2015, 2:21 PM

Yes, it's the American stock. I have the Nikon P-rimfire scope in 2-7.

I initially had the medium Burris Signature steel rings, perfect for no cheek rest for me. But the bolt would hit the scope.

Now I have the Hi rings, clearance is better but I need the cheek rest.

BTW, I struggle using the scope at 100 yards. The BDC circles are as big as 3 inch targets at that distance. I would recommend a 3-9 or more for plinking. The 2-7 is perfect for hunting.
Old 12-20-2015, 5:56 PM

Thanks for info. When shopping for scopes for any of my CZ rimfires, I avoided Nikons only because of the size of the occular/eyepiece. With weaver scopes and others (leupold, etc) you can get away with using lower rings on a scope with comprable magnification.

For example, I use a Weaver RV-7 2.5-7x32 on my trainers and have them mounted on Warne Medium rings. The stock pad is for storing ammo in a zippered pouch on the other side of the stock and not to provide a higher cheek weld.

On my 452 American, I have a Weaver Classic V16 4-16x42mm using burris signature Z medium rings and J&P 3/8" inserts. The inserts convert the 3/8" rail to accept a Weaver-style rings with cross bolt vs the clamping style.

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/produc...roducts_id=247

I am posting this info just to give you some alternative options and get that cheek weld at a comfortable point without having to add anything to the stock. If you are planning on doing much 100 yard shooting, I highly recommend the Weaver V16 or V24. The V16 also has an Adjustable Objective.

I typically use my 2-7x rifles to take cottontails as the magnification is great for this purpose, but I will be using my American with V16 for rabbits as I find that it is extremely well balanced and gives me the option to pop bunnies at 30 yeards off- hand or paper punch at 100 yards using the same setup. Trying to get perfect headshots at 50 yards should be much easier

After using a Nikon scope with BDC, I found it to be fun for plinking but a bit frustrating for precision for the reasons you cited. Instead I prefer to dial in my elevation when switcing between known distances.
Old 12-20-2015, 6:41 PM

Had no idea the Nikon ocular bell would be an issue. Maybe I should return the Nikon scope. I'll be looking into those Weaver scopes. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2015, 8:23 PM

And done...

Old 12-23-2015, 8:31 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Nothing other than constructive criticism, but I think the look of it would look much nicer with rounded corners on the bottom of the leather than the sharp squares that are used.
Old 12-23-2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Nothing other than constructive criticism, but I think the look of it would look much nicer with rounded corners on the bottom of the leather than the sharp squares that are used.
Good input. I will consider trimming the edges.