Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-01-2012, 3:24 PM

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU "sniper" or reconfigured M91/30?

EDIT: Due to all the Repo's, fakes ect. accoicated with M91/30 PU sniper's + I went to look at one yesterday (9/2/12) I don't like the PU scopes at all, I prefer the iron's... I am no longer interested in a Mosin Nagant PU sniper, but an EX Sniper.

I am interested in purchasing a Mosin Nagant m91/30 EX sniper , I was wondering if the Century Arms M91/30 EX Snipers are actual Russian PU EX Snipers... Or are they just any surplus M91/30 with it's bolt turned down? I know they sell 91/30's as "EX Snipers" but the scope mounting holes in the stock have been filled in IMO wherever they are Arsenal refinished they should leave the mounting holes for authenticity. I'm not a Mosin historian, I know basic markings of where Soviet manufactures Tula & Izhevsk, but I don't know what to look for when it comes to "sniper" markings or EX sniper markings if they are different? Any help from someone who is a Mosin collector or anyone with more knowledge than I have would be appreciated.

Last edited by Hungarian_Legionnaire; 09-03-2012 at 6:26 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 3:45 PM

I haven't looked at Century lately, but last time I did, they were making decent quality REPRO PU snipers. If you want a "real" one, Classic Arms has some left. From what most are saying, these were refurbed sometime after the war and put away. Most parts should be matching. If you plan on getting one, now is the time. Here's a link:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-e...cope-and-mount
Old 09-01-2012, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

They are reproductions.

JG Sales has them as well, but priced optimistically.

http://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-...r.-p-1541.html

Their description:

Quote:
7.62x54R caliber WWII era military bolt action rifles, with PU sniper scopes. These are PU style scopes of recent production in the former USSR, with lens caps that stay with the scope when removed to prevent loss. They have been fitted to the 91/30 rifles with a new steel mount, and have had the bolt turned down. Rifles could be round or hex receiver and may or may not have the ex-sniper marks. Mounts are electric pencil marked to match the guns. Arsenal refinished in very good condition.
If you don't have your 03 FFL, Big 5 has them for ~$600, and mine is still available in the marketplace.
Old 09-01-2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Vision View Post
I haven't looked at Century lately, but last time I did, they were making decent quality REPRO PU snipers. If you want a "real" one, Classic Arms has some left. From what most are saying, these were refurbed sometime after the war and put away. Most parts should be matching. If you plan on getting one, now is the time. Here's a link:

Thanks for the reply, so classic firearms has "real" PU Snipers, with the sniper markings on the receiver, stock & all the many places where they put the specific markings? Not just surplus M91/30's retrofitted with a bent bolt & PU scope? I was looking at some very nice but extremely expensive Mosin PU Snipers from Mitchell's Mausers.
Old 09-01-2012, 4:40 PM

Cheapest place to get a century repro is SOG, though you do need an 03 FFL to order from them.

Aside from getting an actual PU sniper from the recent IO import lot, you can also get a scopless sniper from Samco. These are imported from yugoslavia without the scope, mount, or mount bracket. They are Russian production. The range from 280-350 depending on condition. The holes on these are still in tact and you can just put on the mount bracket.

Also, mitchell mausers probably doesn't have authentic anything.
Old 09-01-2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungarian_Legionnaire View Post
Thanks for the reply, so classic firearms has "real" PU Snipers, with the sniper markings on the receiver, stock & all the many places where they put the specific markings? Not just surplus M91/30's retrofitted with a bent bolt & PU scope? I was looking at some very nice but extremely expensive Mosin PU Snipers from Mitchell's Mausers.

Mitchell's 98k Mauser and 91/30 Mosin snipers are 100% bogus, knowingly and dishonestly misrepresented, fake and fraudulent, turds.

Their regular 98k's are just pimped out, knowing and fraudulently misrepresented, dung nuggets that have been pimp-cobbled together from the same typical Russian capture 98k's as their bogus Mauser snipers.

Even their overpriced but otherwise o.k. Yugo Mausers were knowingly and fraudulently misrepresented with a litany of lies.

Stay away from Mitchell's. Not saying that they will azz-rape you, but you will be able to use your bunghole for a 2 car garage when they get through with you.
Old 09-01-2012, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
I think SOG might have some of these also.....the PU snipers SOG has been selling before this were definitely the Ukranian replicas.
SOG only lists repros right now, for $379 +shipping and + 3% credit card surcharge.

Pictures of my original Tula PU from Classic Arms here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=602575

I wouldn't trust Mitchel's Mausers with anything.
Old 09-01-2012, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Get a repro if you want to shoot it, better optics/glass
Old 09-01-2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Get a repro if you want to shoot it, better optics/glass
not really , no. Optics wise, Russian repros are made to spec with the old PUs, so they might be cleaner, but they are no better than old ones that are in good condition. Chinese repros are regarded as pretty poor compared to russian repro and original.

Accuracy wise, repro snipers were not chosen for their grouping, they weren't even shot to determine accuracy, century just chose the nicest looking ones. So it's really luck of the draw on this.

Now if you want better glass, getting a scopless sniper, a mount with rails instead of rings, and new glass to go with it would be the most sensible option. That's what this fellow calgunners did (well not really, he used an IO sniper, and he isn't even using that setup seriously). Or just get something meant to accept better glass in the first place.
Old 09-01-2012, 8:39 PM

Or you could buy one of Mad-B-Man's real molot PU snipers, if he hasn't sold them off already

The PU pictured above is mine, I was trolling the forums when I got it
Old 09-01-2012, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
Cheapest place to get a century repro is SOG, though you do need an 03 FFL to order from them.

Aside from getting an actual PU sniper from the recent IO import lot, you can also get a scopless sniper from Samco. These are imported from yugoslavia without the scope, mount, or mount bracket. They are Russian production. The range from 280-350 depending on condition. The holes on these are still in tact and you can just put on the mount bracket.

Also, mitchell mausers probably doesn't have authentic anything.
Thanks for the info, so these are EX Snipers & stamped/ marked as such? I would really like to find a EX Sniper in excellent condition, I prefer irons to the PU scope anyways. The 91/30 "PU Snipers" sold by places like J&G seems to be a complete ripoff, the 91/30's that these new production PU scopes & mounts get put on are only like $90-$130 (depending on condition) & Hex receivers are more, then that would mean either the Russian replica PU scope is like $350-$400!? (which I highly doubt) or they just charge a premium because they look like a PU sniper.

As for Mitchell's Mausers, I thought they were the high end authentic treasure-trove of WWII Nazi P08 Luger's & Mausers. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU sniper they have is in the "Rare & Historic" "Battle Anniversary Rifles" that come with letters of authenticity for different battles for both the M91/30 & Mauser K98, selling them for $1,200 each. Have you had a bad experience with MM? Because to me, them seem legit.
Old 09-01-2012, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info, so these are EX Snipers & stamped/ marked as such? I would really like to find a EX Sniper in excellent condition, I prefer irons to the PU scope anyways.
Yes, an ex-sniper should still have it's markings from when it was a complete sniper rifle.

Quote:
As for Mitchell's Mausers, I thought they were the high end authentic treasure-trove of WWII Nazi P08 Luger's & Mausers. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU sniper they have is in the "Rare & Historic" "Battle Anniversary Rifles" that come with letters of authenticity for different battles for both the M91/30 & Mauser K98, selling them for $1,200 each. Have you had a bad experience with MM? Because to me, them seem legit.
MM rifles are fakes, and poor ones at that.

They chrome the bolts on their K98s, Germany never did that. They take RC K98s, fake the markings, pimp shine them, then attempt to pass them off as originals.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 09-01-2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Mitchell's 98k Mauser and 91/30 Mosin snipers are 100% bogus, knowingly and dishonestly misrepresented, fake and fraudulent, turds.

Their regular 98k's are just pimped out, knowing and fraudulently misrepresented, dung nuggets that have been pimp-cobbled together from the same typical Russian capture 98k's as their bogus Mauser snipers.

Even their overpriced but otherwise o.k. Yugo Mausers were knowingly and fraudulently misrepresented with a litany of lies.

Stay away from Mitchell's. Not saying that they will azz-rape you, but you will be able to use your bunghole for a 2 car garage when they get through with you.
I was under the impression that Mitchell's Mausers were the high end authentic treasure-trove of WWII Nazi P08 Luger's, Mauser's & USSR Mosin's. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU sniper they have is in the "Rare & Historic" "Battle Anniversary Rifles" that come with letters of authenticity for different battles for both the M91/30 & Mauser K98, selling them for $1,200 each, how can they getaway with clear fraud & misrepresenting historic firearms? Thanks for the heads up on MM by the way.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Yes, an ex-sniper should still have it's markings from when it was a complete sniper rifle.

MM rifles are fakes, and poor ones at that.

They chrome the bolts on their K98s, Germany never did that. They take RC K98s, fake the markings, pimp shine them, then attempt to pass them off as originals.
I would really just like to get a EX Sniper (without the PU replica scope) IMO the PU scope sucks for shooting & that's what I plan on doing with my Mosin, I would like to find a Ex Sniper with all correct sniper markings & a barrel/ bore in excellent shape with a lot of life left, a bolt that is smooth & doesn't stick, & has good lockup.
Old 09-02-2012, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Vision View Post

A real one? A real Repro? I've got to believe that a real Russian PU sniper wouldn't have had "KO-91/20 MADE IN RUSSIA" stamped on the rifle.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDw View Post
I've got to believe that a real Russian PU sniper wouldn't have had "KO-91/20 MADE IN RUSSIA" stamped on the rifle.
Well, you would be wrong. They were just imported, and as such require the current specification for Import markings.

There has been much discussion of the origin of these rifles on Gunboards. They came from the Bryansk military storage facility, were packaged by Molot for importation as "Hunting rifles" and shipped west.
Old 09-02-2012, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Moison PU Sniper Mount for Modern Scope.

If you ever want to do some serious accurate longer 400-1000 shooting try one of me new PU scope mount/system that allows you to to put a modern center adjustment high power scope on your Moison PU Sniper Rifle to wring out the best accuracy for long range target shooting or hunting.

Made out of 6061-T6 billet aluminum and hard black anodized .001 deep (.002 Thk.) this mount will attach to your regular PU scope mount base and allow you to mount a modern center adjustment high power scope with simple Weaver or Warne rings, for centering you will also be able to adjust left/right and cant with two 8-32 set screws instead of grinding or shimming like the Russian mounts.

I designed the mount height spacing around Weaver KT-15 and Leopold (40/42mm max) diameter objective bell scopes, or smaller sized hunting scopes.

Includes two weaver # 79 bases and screws that you can attach in any of six positions to the vertical side and add your own rings (Low/Med) for over the bore bent bolt handle clearance.

Rings must have clamp screws at 6-8 and 12-2 o’clock to best clear BENT BOLT sniper handles.

Last edited by 6mmintl; 09-02-2012 at 4:59 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Pictures of my original Tula PU from Classic Arms here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=602575
Huh, that's weird. I was under the impression that snipers were only produced at Izhevsk because the Tula receiver was too narrow for the scope mount. Is it nice and tight?

@OP

Be forwarned, if you get a repro there is no guarentee that they will be great shooters. Originals, on the other hand, shoot great. My buddy bought a lot of 6 and they all held 1 MOA or better.
Old 09-02-2012, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerkraut View Post
Huh, that's weird. I was under the impression that snipers were only produced at Izhevsk because the Tula receiver was too narrow for the scope mount. Is it nice and tight?
Yeah, rock solid. Never heard that, there are a bunch of photos of Tula PU Snipers here:

http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20sect...erphotos12.asp
Old 09-02-2012, 7:46 PM

Yup, did my research. Probably should have deleted my comment. Seems lile Tula PUs were only produced in '43 and '44 and are rare, so that's a nice rifle you got there. I got that information from someone listing warning signs that a PU sniper is a fake.
Old 09-03-2012, 6:51 AM

After handling a REPRO PU sniper & looking threw the new PU scope I have decide that I would rather spend less money for an EX sniper, I don't like the PU scope at all, & prefer the iron's over the glass. Also there is a lot of confusion of what a TRUE PU sniper is & a lot of fakes sold by sights that completely misrepresent what they are selling. The PU scope is not important to me, it's just bad glass that makes a heavy rifle, heavier.

I would much rather have a EX sniper, but don't know the markings, are they the same as a PU sniper, or different because they no longer have the PU scope? Also how did "EX snipers" come to be, a damaged PU/PE scope removed & just used with irons? Or are they PU snipers that arsenals just didn't put a re-manufactured PU scope on?

When I find a M91/30 EX sniper they always seem to say "Expect dark bored barrels", but I've only found them threw J&G Sales, where would be a good place to find a EX sniper in excellent condition, with a bright bore & correct stampings/ markings? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 8:23 AM

It sounds like Samco might be a good bet. They are originals less mount and scope so you use the iron sights.
Old 09-03-2012, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
It sounds like Samco might be a good bet. They are originals less mount and scope so you use the iron sights.
Thanks for the recommendation, but What do you mean by "less mount and scope"? I'm looking for an EX sniper, with no mount or scope...
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Also there is a lot of confusion of what a TRUE PU sniper is & a lot of fakes sold by sights that completely misrepresent what they are selling.
You mean Mitchell, or someone else? The latest batch imported by I/O and sold through AIM and Classic Tuco and Vic on GB both say they are real, and the only folks who seem to doubt that appear to be people pissed that the $800 ones they bought from Rguns might have just dropped in value.

Everyone I have seen selling the Ukrainian/Century repros has been pretty clear that they are repros, except maybe Big-5.

Quote:
For those who are looking to purchase complete Mosin snipers a word of caution is in order here - the dirty scum-sucking criminal fraud thief swine who make and pimp fake Mosin snipers are commonly known to fake the Tula and Izhevsk sniper markings. This is done to fool and cheat novice and experienced buyers and collectors, not advanced collectors or experts, so someone who knows what they are looking at can tell a fake sniper from a real one even with these bogus markings, but for most folks they can be very convincing and deceiving.
You mean Mitchell, or someone else?
Old 09-03-2012, 1:05 PM

There actually was one recent case of unclear PU origin. Widener sold 3 PU snipers that had documentation and stuff, and they assumed it was a legit PU sniper. Turned out it was a "conversion" made in Russian in the 90s or something. Widener did say they'd take all of them back and refund the orders though, since they said they genuinely did not know they were not actual PU snipers.

But yeah, other than that, all the PUs sold at major stores are pretty clearly labeled what they are. You really only have to worry about it when you buy from a private party that doesn't have any documentation to show their origin.
Old 09-03-2012, 1:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the info, so these are EX Snipers & stamped/ marked as such? I would really like to find a EX Sniper in excellent condition, I prefer irons to the PU scope anyways.

"Ex-snipers" are original sniper rifles that were refurbished back to regular 91/30s by installing a regular bolt, welding over the base mounting holes and installing a standard stock. Sniper tuned trigger group may or may not have been replaced. Its usually pretty easy to tell if the trigger group was replaced by a standard TG in the refurb by comparing the trigger pull to a regular 91/30.

Izhevsk snipers will generally have the scope number stamped into the left side of the barrel just above the wood, just forward of the receiver.

Tula snipers will have a "C" and "h" or "n" (whatever the Russian letter is) stamped on either side of the top leg of the large star on the barrel.

Ex-snipers can be found at Big 5 being sold as regular 91/30s. For a while I hit a lot of Big 5s in the SF Bay area and came up with quite a few of them, but you need to be persistent, check the stores regularly and look at every rifle in the store (including the ones in back). Once pulled two of them out of the Walnut Creek Big 5 in the same day.

Tim

Ninja'd. You could just read Marcus' post...
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790

Last edited by timdps; 09-03-2012 at 1:56 PM..
Old 09-03-2012, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

i have a 1943 izzy ex sniper, paid 250 for it. it has lined out scope number on the left side of the receiver. also wood repair at the scope mount area. plus the screws still inside the receiver. i like it as a ex sniper. many so called ex snipers have replacement stocks and no line out on the scope number. tula ex snipers do not have the line out. it is not counter bored and shoots very well. i get all the sniper history and do not have to worry about it being fake .most snipers being sold today and not 100 % correct.
Old 09-03-2012, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
They are reproductions.

JG Sales has them as well, but priced optimistically.

http://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-...r.-p-1541.html

Their description:

If you don't have your 03 FFL, Big 5 has them for ~$600, and mine is still available in the marketplace.
i have one of the big 5 snipers. it is well made with the correct parts. i new going in it was a copy 1936 izzy PU . never happen son.
Old 09-03-2012, 6:37 PM

So why doesnt my PU scope have a serial number on it ? Arnie
Old 09-03-2012, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

my ex sniper has all the proper things that make it a ex sniper. if you have a ex sniper with a replaced stock, ground off scope number you do not have much of a ex sniper. it is obvious my wood repair is because the scope mount was taken off. my stock also still has the shims to float the receiver still their. yes if a ex sniper has some things not their still it might still be a ex sniper but not 100 %.
yes my lined out scope number is on the barrel not the receiver i stand corrected.
Old 09-03-2012, 7:41 PM

Maybe my PU scope does have a serial number but its not even close to what is punched into the action a ahead of the mount . It has a star looking thing ,then a hammer and syckle ,then 91/30 then the number No 6-07484 with another 6 below it .The 6's are not really 6's but look similar . The action has MOR 0000166 in front of the mount. Arnie
Old 09-03-2012, 8:46 PM

Thanks Marcus ,next time i get into the safe i will look at the barrel number and also see if there is any trace of a scope serial number on the left side of the barrel shank. Arnie
Old 09-04-2012, 3:11 AM

just head over to RGUNS...they have the real deal sniper mosin nagants. not no repo. they are reputed. also if you plan to shoot a mosin through iron sight. i would suggest not looking into 91/30 but go with a finn made mosin. like an m39. it's the best groupings nd accuracy your going to get with an iron sight.i have one with amojo sight and i get 1" groupings at 100 yards with yellowtip heavy ball surplus ammo. yellowtip goes well with m39 because the ammo is D barrel designed as captre ammo from the russians and the m39 heavy barrel is great shooting that stuff VERY accurately
Old 09-04-2012, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

i am just a fan of old military rifles. i am not a collector that cares about stamps or small details. to me a rough machine work 1944 Izzy is just as good a Mosin as something else. these MN rifles are just referb fitted parts that work together. the only reason everybody gets all worked up over snipers is collectors make such a big deal over what is a real sniper. i have not seen a older import sniper that meets all the proper criteria of a real sniper myself. it would be sad if somebody with a sniper was not happy with it only because he has doubt about it being a real sniper. i guess i also am getting wrapped up in small details. if a Mosin has the screws still in the receiver it for sure is a ex sniper. lets enjoy our rifles. i shoot, shine and admire my humble mosin rifles as if they all were special.
Old 09-04-2012, 5:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanG_Bang View Post
just head over to RGUNS...they have the real deal sniper mosin nagants. not no repo. they are reputed.
Yep, and only $200 more than the other real deal PU Mosins, not repro.
Old 09-04-2012, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

it never ends does it.
Old 09-05-2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
i have a 1943 izzy ex sniper, paid 250 for it. it has lined out scope number on the left side of the receiver. also wood repair at the scope mount area. plus the screws still inside the receiver. i like it as a ex sniper. many so called ex snipers have replacement stocks and no line out on the scope number. tula ex snipers do not have the line out. it is not counter bored and shoots very well. i get all the sniper history and do not have to worry about it being fake .most snipers being sold today and not 100 % correct.
interested in selling it?
Old 09-05-2012, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
"Ex-snipers" are original sniper rifles that were refurbished back to regular 91/30s by installing a regular bolt, welding over the base mounting holes and installing a standard stock. Sniper tuned trigger group may or may not have been replaced. Its usually pretty easy to tell if the trigger group was replaced by a standard TG in the refurb by comparing the trigger pull to a regular 91/30.

Izhevsk snipers will generally have the scope number stamped into the left side of the barrel just above the wood, just forward of the receiver.

Tula snipers will have a "C" and "h" or "n" (whatever the Russian letter is) stamped on either side of the top leg of the large star on the barrel.

Ex-snipers can be found at Big 5 being sold as regular 91/30s. For a while I hit a lot of Big 5s in the SF Bay area and came up with quite a few of them, but you need to be persistent, check the stores regularly and look at every rifle in the store (including the ones in back). Once pulled two of them out of the Walnut Creek Big 5 in the same day.

Tim

Ninja'd. You could just read Marcus' post...
You recommend Big 5 as the best place to find EX Snipers? Or just any gun shop that gets crates of them in?

I would like to get a book or a well documented markings of sniper/ ex sniper markings to have with me when looking threw a crate in case I come across something rare, or what I am looking for but am not sure about the makings, is there a book that specifically pictures & mentions M91/30 sniper makings?
Old 09-05-2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Tula PU snipers were made in 1942, '43, and '44. The often heard claim that they were only made in '43 and '44 comes from an error/misprint in the information in the Sniper Section at MosinNagant.net, the parent site of Gunboards. Somehow this, and a few other errors, have missed being corrected over the years, have been repeated on other sites, and have led to some mistakes and misconceptions on the part of folks just starting out learning about Mosin snipers.

Tula also produced the "Big Scope" PE/PEM snipers from around 1933 up through 1942.

There was an article written many years ago about spotting fake/replica snipers that was marginally useful then and has been so out of date and incorrect for many, many years that it is positively dangerous and destructive to anyone who reads and believes what is written there....except of course to me, since I know Mosin snipers and have been able to score many rare and valuable rifles as a result of people thinking they were replicas/fakes. This old article does still show up once in a while, and should be avoided like Democrat politicians with AIDS.

I think Dolk's site has a brief article on fake snipers that is more accurate and up to date, but between all the various fakes and replicas produced over the years and how much more we have learned about Mosin snipers due to the various imports like the ones discussed above and the information continually uncovered by many dedicated Mosin sniper collectors and researchers (including myself), one would really write a book about Mosin snipers with a long chapter dedicated just to the fakes, replicas, and the various criminals and con-men (like Don Mitchell and that infamous sack of rat droppings in Eagle, Idaho, who is currently hiding on Gunbroker and other auction sites under the alias "Szocher") behind some of these forgeries.
You seem to have a great knowledge on the Mosin Nagant, If looking for a EX sniper what are some key things to look out for? I'm not familiar with PU Sniper markings, also why are EX snipers; "EX snipers"? Did the scope get damaged in combat & the Arsenal basically made them back in to a infinity rifle?

Also do you know of a book or detailed website/ forum that depicts & goes over the different ways to verify a PU sniper/ Ex sniper by markings on the receiver, barrel or stock?

Is there different/ added markings to EX PU snipers since they no longer use the PU/PE scope, are the markings different on EX snipers compared to "True" PU sniper M91/30's? Any help will be much appreciated, Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Curious why you want an ex-sniper. They may be a little more accurate than a standard 91/30, but there is no guarantee.

If you want an accurate Mosin Nagant to shoot with Iron sights, get a Finn.

Also look at these: https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-nagant.html

They are scopeless PU snipers, the Yugo ones discussed earlier in this thread.

Quote:
You recommend Big 5 as the best place to find EX Snipers? Or just any gun shop that gets crates of them in?
Not speaking for him, but I expect that is exactly what he means. Most places don't sort through a pallet of 91/30s looking for ones with holes only visible from inside the action.

You may also find one in the marketplace.