Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-01-2012, 3:09 PM

Default Early 70's Remington 870 Wingmaster 20g

Who knows their Remington 870's?

I inherited this 20 gauge Remington 870 from my Grandfather when I was in my teens in Michigan. I shot it a few times back then for fun and with a box of skeet, but that's about it. It's been in storage since.

I just recently got back into going to the range and picked up some .22LR's for my son and I and am having a blast with them.

Not sure what to do with this one. I looked it up and it's serial number begins with a T and ends with an X, which apparently is from 1974 and designates the Heavy Duty version?

Anyone know anything else about these? I suppose the 20g would be a good starting shotgun for my son (he's 11) but not sure if there is any interest there for him.

Kinda feel bad, I feel like I should have some emotional attachment to this since if came from my grandfather and I was really close to him, we did alot of these same things together.

Anyways, just thought I would share...thought I could learn a little more about it and figured, guys might get a kick out of seeing an older shogun.

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/...mington%20870/
Old 09-01-2012, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

I don't often see rear sights on shotguns (I don't do much shooting with shotguns I only own one). I guess that would be for slugs?
Old 09-01-2012, 6:06 PM

The 870 is like the Chevy of shotguns. It's not too fancy, and, within reason, you can't hurt them. The 20 gauge is a great size because it doesn't beat the shooter up like the 12 does and will do all of the things the 12 gauge does. The two barrels you have are desirable. One is good for bird hunting and/or trap/skeet, the other (with the sights) is a slug barrel good for hunting deer, or even home protection length with 0 or 00 shot.

In the pictures you posted it appears to be in good to very good condition. Good bluing, no rust, no apparent wear and the wood appears to be in good condition with no real damage.

If it's not very sentimental, and you're not a shooter, I'd be interested in buying it at a reasonable price for my 25 year old son who lives and hunts in norther california, or trading you a 22 rifle and some ammo.

For what it's worth, you'll be hard pressed to find an 870 as nice as yours. If you think you'll ever go shooting, I wouldn't sell it. But if you're not.......... PM me!!

Jeff
Old 09-01-2012, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

You've got a gorgeous shotgun there, one that will last lifetimes with just simply maintenance. The shorter barrel with factory rifle sights is sometimes called a "Deerslayer", and it's intended for shooting buckshot or slugs. It may be rifled for use with sabots, but just as likely will be a smoothbore. The longer barrel, if it's same vintage as the gun, will be a fixed choke and most likely 28 inches. It will be stamped on the barrel, left side near the hallmark, what the amount of choke is.

The furniture is pure mid 1970's Remington sporting type, making me believe this is a basic 870 Field Wingmaster. The pad looks to be original and by this point might be a little stiff or brittle.

Remington dates are usually figured out by the barrel code, not necessarily the serial number. See here for info on how to date Remington long guns. To truly date a receiver you'd likely have to contact Remington.

The 20 would be good for a youngster, generally speaking. The 'X' at the end of the serial number indicates a full sized 12 gauge frame, not a reduced size 20 gauge. Production on the full sized 20 stopped in 1979, and extra barrels can be hard to find as they are specific to the frame size.

All in all you look to have a gorgeous shooter. I'd figure out how it's choked on the long barrel and then go out and enjoy it. If you've a mind to sell it the blue book says $250 for a 100% gun, but with the 12 gauge frame and two (now hard to find) barrels, you should be able to get up to $300 or perhaps a bit more. While it's something of a rarity to see one this clean and with two barrels, total 870 production is way over 10 million so there's lots of examples out there which keeps secondary market prices lower.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 09-01-2012 at 6:42 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I don't think I ever paid any attention to the fact that the one barrel had rifle sights.

Neither barrel is rifled. The longer barrel is in fact 28" long and is marked "AO" "33" Not sure what the 33 means, but the AO would go along with the serial number, meaning a March 1977 mfg date and the T prefix serial fits that period as well (1974 - 1977).

The shorter barrel has no mfg date on it though, at least none I can see/find.

And I went an checked the pad still seemed surprising squishy. ;-)

Really appreciate all the info and education!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Calguns Addict

mannOmann, I have the same shotgun. I wanted to find a rifle sighted barrel for it, but that's not happening. As BigDog said, barrels are hard to find, rifle sighted barrels impossible. The magazine tube is the same size as the 12 gauge Wingmaster and takes the same extensions; add a long extension and you have a pretty effective HD shotgun for anyone who doesn't like 12 gauge recoil. That's what I'm doing with mine after finally finding another barrel to have cut down.

If it were me, I wouldn't sell it. My daughter took her first pheasant with mine and it's never leaving my safe until she claims it or I'm gone. It's a good starter shotgun for your son (you can easily fit it with a shorter stock) and hopefully something you'll pass on to him in due time.

I'd make you an offer for that rifle sighted barrel, but if you're smart, you won't take it.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-02-2012 at 11:03 AM..