Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-31-2012, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default AR-Comp

I have a load for my .308 Win gun using IMR 4064 and Hornaday 168gr AMAX bullets that yields one ragged hole at 100 yards when I do my part.

Unfortunately, the downside of using IMR 4064 is it meters poorly and its Lincoln Log shape makes fine trickling a very tedious affair. These are not problems observed in Third World Countries...

Anyway on the suggestion of one of our more experienced members here whose opinion I respect, I gave AR-Comp a try.

The AR-Comp had unusually small SD's, I mean, SD's of 2, 3, 4 and 5 almost regardless of weight of charge. In addition, the nodes that seemed to hold the most promise accuracy wise were on the lower end of the pressure spectrum, something that rarely happens in this rifle. With just about every other powder I have loaded, up near max is when the gun starts shooting straight. The final observation is the velocities seemed way off compared to book, like 150fps below book at max, this out of a 26" barrel.

This last bit has me really scratching my head. I had also tried some IMR8208XBR and the 8208 was dead on Hodgdon factory specs for the loads I was using, so I know the Chrony was working correctly.

Anyone get this kind of result SD and velocity wise with AR-Comp in a .308?