Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Question Schmidt & Bender reticles: Klein, H2CMR, vs MSR

I'm hoping someone has had some experience with the following S&B reticles:

Klein, vs H2CMW vs MSR

I currently use the P4F on my S&Bs which has been great but with these newer reticles out I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or preference compared to the P4F.

I've always preferred the hashmarks instead of the modified mildots as in the Klein and H2CMR reticle, but sometimes at lower power magnification with the P4F the hashmarks can be a bit difficult to pick up.

The .2 MRAD hashmarks on the H2CMR seems to help with more precise wind holds, but I'm wondering if it may be too busy of a reticle.

The MSR aside from the milling reticle in the FOV may be too cluttered but I don't think it'll hinder spotting my misses/splash. But then again I've never looked through this reticle. As I understand the reticle lines subtend between P4F and the regular P4 reticle. May help at lower magnifcation.

MSR

Anyone have any input or user experiences they can offer? Or should I just stick with the P4F?

thanks,
Old 08-23-2012, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

I've used the P4F for a LONG time and prefered it over the standard mildot reticle I was trained on for the simple fact that it had better subtends. Back in March I got a chance to use one with an MSR and it's a huge improvement IF you rely on your reticle for fine milling. At the time I was shooting a match that had a stage where we had to mil a dozen targets from 150-800m. Personally, I rely less and less on milling and holdovers as I tend to shoot ELR distances a majority of the time. So in general I think your analysis is correct: if your emphasis is on milling targets, the MSR will be an advantage over the P4F or if you rely more on holdovers than your turrets the H2CMR will be an advantage. If neither, stick with the P4F.

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 08-23-2012, 1:24 PM

I prefer the H2CMR reticle. The .2 mil marks on the windage are great. The .1 mil marks between the 2nd mil and the 3 mil on the elevation are great to help you remember where you are in the reticle for quick hold overs.
Old 08-23-2012, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had some time with the H2CMR and the MSR and really like both of these reticles. My next scope purchase will have one of these two reticles.

I don't find the H2CMR too busy, though it does take a little time to remember and get used to the breakdown of the dots and hash marks. I like the versatility of the MSR with the smaller mil breakdown on the left and the quick and dirty ranging scales on the right. I definitely prefer these two over the P4 or Klein reticles.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 08-24-2012, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the reviews guys, it was certainly helpful. The H2CMR reticle seems like the right way to go now with the finer holdover. At past 1000, my slight issue with the P4F were the 1/2 MIL hash marks weren't fine enough to hold on, especially on a smaller target.

I'm rarely if ever going to use this scope to MIL targets.