Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-22-2012, 8:41 PM

Default Winchester Model 94 Nickel Steel WCF 30

Guys looking for some info on my Winchester model 94.
As the story was told to me when I was a kid it was my grandfathers first gun, sadly he passed when I was around five years old so I never really got to know him. My father inherited it along with a few others at that point and as I grew up I was told they would all go to me. Lifes ups and downs had taken my father down some dark paths unfortunately leading to the loss of all but this gun witch I was able to keep. Thank god!!! drugs are a horrible thing
I would really like to restore it, it does function rather well but the years have taken a bit of a toll, when my dad used to keep it under the seat of his pickup truck it slid around and would fall out occasionally so the stock and fore grip are damaged. The sights are still intact and looks to be complete as far as I can tell. The info I am looking for would be when was it made? Is there a site I could go to to find out? Is there parts available for it? ( stock & Grip ) or should I attempt a refinish? Unfortunately the rear stock had been broken at one time and was crudely glued back together probably at one of his drunken filled evenings along our roadways....
Value would be nice to know but not important as I will not part with it. Should something like this be restored? It has nickel steel engraved on the barrel does this mean it was nickel plated? Also it has a wcf 30 engraved as well, I was told this indicated an early model? Im sure I will have more questions but any help and direction would be greatly appreciated Thanks for taking the time fellas...
Tony

Last edited by Bullets&Whitewalls; 08-22-2012 at 8:43 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 9:10 PM

Pictures always help. What's the serial number?
Old 08-22-2012, 9:27 PM

If I take it out of the safe now I will wake the wife.... cant do that LOL
I will have to look tomorrow at the serial number I spaced it this eve, when I had it out. As for pics It would have to be from my phone and Im not the best with these computers........I will try and figure it out though.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=410211
Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

No, that does not mean it was nickle plated. It means that they used a steel with a higher nickle content to make it stronger. You should be able to track down when it was made based on the serial number.

-Mb
Old 08-23-2012, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It has nickel steel engraved on the barrel does this mean it was nickel plated?
No, it means it has a nickle steel barrel for smokeless powder.
Old 08-23-2012, 1:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! TRAP55 I found your thread last night its a really cool thing you do helping out guys with the info. There is only one number on the gun under neath it in front of the lever. As for pics Im gonna try and email them to my computer. So was this gun blued then? It seems like it is mostly worn away almost silver in color especially the receiver. Thanks again

I edited the post and removed the number. On oldguns.net it says it was made in 1926!!!

Last edited by Bullets&Whitewalls; 08-23-2012 at 1:49 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! TRAP55 I found your thread last night its a really cool thing you do helping out guys with the info. There is only one number on the gun under neath it in front of the lever. As for pics Im gonna try and email them to my computer. So was this gun blued then? It seems like it is mostly worn away almost silver in color especially the receiver. Thanks again

I edited the post and removed the number. On oldguns.net it says it was made in 1926!!!
The receiver was blued, lever, hammer, and some other parts were color cased. The receiver could be had color cased, if it was special ordered. Your serial number should be on the bottom front of the receiver. If you read the intro to my thread, you know oldguns.net is using the Madis info.
Post the serial on that thread, and I'll give you a proper date. Get some pics up too!
Old 09-13-2012, 5:19 PM

978962 is the serial, I just have some issues with my camera and posting pics still. I will get some up soon I hope.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Made about March of 1925, with 13,027 made that year.
Old 09-14-2012, 4:55 PM

Thanks! Im gonna pick up a new camera and should get some pics up pretty soon. Camera may have to wait a bit though as I just put a 15-22 in jail last week.....