Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-22-2012, 9:07 PM

Unhappy Serious Problem with Calguns Vendor...Big John's Iron Works :(

Hey All,
Figured I'd post here first to get the local vibe on what I should do...

I recently used my B'day gift money to purchase some items from a Vendor who's been advertising through Calguns for quite a few years. So I send him more than $300 via paypal for the items on June 24th.
-On June 29th I contacted him via Email & asked about the status of my order.
-He responded that day saying "Planning to ship Monday" (July 2nd).
-The following week I receive an Email with a tracking #, a check of the # shows only that a shipping label has been created, nothing yet shipped.
-On July 20th I sent another email asking about the items (tracking # still shows label only).
-He responds on the 22nd "The --- are shipping tomorrow thank you for your patience."
-On July 31, still havent received the items, send him another email-

***and this is the key part***
*I tell him that if he hasnt already shipped the items, please just refund the $$$ as I will be moving soon, could use the money for other expenses, AND WILL NO LONGER BE AT THAT ADDRESS.
-He responds that day that the boxes are packed & asks for the new address so he can ship them there.
-No contact for two weeks while we move to our new address.
-On Aug 16th I send him an email with our new address...
-He responds same day "Crap mark I shipped them to the old address! Do you have contact with anyone there?"
"I am sorry, I forgot we had talked and I had the label in my file so I shipped it."
JeeeZ-LouEEEZ!!!

-So while my wife is trying to contact our old landlord, I drive across town to the old house(which is now vacant)- nothing.
-Finally get in contact with old landlord & get the package on Aug 21st. Wife picks it up while I'm at work. Package seems VERY light considering the Heavy items ordered. Open box to find HALF the items are missing.
-Contact Vendor Immediately & he admits to leaving out a few items & will ship them out, but the more expensive missing items were in the box.
-He then tells me to take the matter up with the shipper (UPS), and that he will not help me in any way.

Is it MY fault that
-He waited over a month to ship & lied several times about when he would
-He ignored my request for a refund
-He shipped to the wrong address
-He left items out of the package but will only admit to the cheaper ones ($30 vs. $180)
-Will do nothing to help me Despite the fact that ALL the mistakes are his

Do I have any recourse through Calguns?
Should I commence to flaming him on this forum?

Any & all advice is appreciated.

-Stick

Hey Folks,
Many of you responded in posts & PM's to out this vendor to protect the reputations of other vendors & the good folks who shop with them. I wanted to give this vendor the chance to rectify the situation, but he is once again not responding to my emails & has not shipped the items that were paid for. I am sick of playing this game.

Please be very cautious when doing business with IronMan5669 aka "Big Johns Iron Works". He has a sad tendency to take your money and then tell you he's either out of town/ injured/ running behind/ waiting on more steel/ etc...and will ship next week/ month/ whatever.

Last edited by BigStiCK; 09-09-2012 at 7:13 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 9:09 PM

Out him, he deserves it

Handguns are a skill; shotguns an art; rifles a science.

What color is your Kool-aid?
Old 08-22-2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenamaxtle View Post
Out him, he deserves it
Ya, that sounds like a nightmare of an experience. While some people will say "It's just money" the fact is a lot of us don't make very much money and have to save for a long time to afford a "fun" purchase of that sort. Plus, I wouldn't let him get away with it on general principle.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:30 PM

I'd like to hear the other side of this story. As told, not cool at all, and I'd like to avoid this vendor.

Who was it?
Old 08-22-2012, 9:38 PM

I want to handle this professionally & only seek to have the order fulfilled or get a refund for what was missing.

I'm gonna hold off droppin names until he leaves me no other recourse.

I'd like to know what the Mods have to say. Is there any way to contact them directly?
Old 08-22-2012, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

**** him. I say out him after all that. Even if he fixes the issue I say you should still say who it is so some of us can still avoid him if we choose.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:46 PM

Send one of them a pm.

Seems like you are using calguns for leverage instead of making us aware of a potential problem vendor. If the story is as you told it, you should have no problem letting us know who it was. .02, probably less.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:50 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Not cool at all, sounds unprofessional, I would also like to know who it is so I am more aware. I say out him, or PM and tell him to give his side.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

I hate these threads. Just out him because right now you are making a ton of vendors look suspect.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:57 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
I want to handle this professionally & only seek to have the order fulfilled or get a refund for what was missing.

I'm gonna hold off droppin names until he leaves me no other recourse.

I'd like to know what the Mods have to say. Is there any way to contact them directly?
Safe and legitimate move.

Hopefully it will get resolved soon. Either way, I would PM a mod and give them some info, as it helps to keep them involved and understanding of what may appear (like this thread) on the site.

Hope you get it worked out ASAP and please keep us updated.

-------
Old 08-22-2012, 9:57 PM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
-He waited over a month to ship & lied several times about when he would
-He ignored my request for a refund
-He shipped to the wrong address
-He left items out of the package but will only admit to the cheaper ones ($30 vs. $180)
-Will do nothing to help me Despite the fact that ALL the mistakes are his
Hmm? heavy items, lied about shipping dates, didn't include full order, ignores customer? I got $5.00 that says this is Targets From Us
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM

I will now hold all CalGun vendors suspect

better safe then sorry
Quote:
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
I hate these threads. Just out him because right now you are making a ton of vendors look suspect.
You have a good point. I just sent him an email with a link to this thread. If he does not respond ASAP then I will.

To the previous poster who mentioned "leverage"- Bingo! If he wishes to do business via this forum he better make customer service a priority. Word spreads quick.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psssniper View Post
Hmm? heavy items, lied about shipping dates, didn't include full order, ignores customer? I got $5.00 that says this is Targets From Us
Not Them. You owe me a FiveSpot.
-Stick
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Did you PM a mod?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM

Did you PM a mod?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

-He responds that day that the boxes are packed & asks for the new address so he can ship them there.
-No contact for two weeks while we move to our new address.
-On Aug 16th I send him an email with our new address...
-He responds same day "Crap mark I shipped them to the old address! Do you have contact with anyone there?"
"I am sorry, I forgot we had talked and I had the label in my file so I shipped it."

I'd say your poor communucations on the address change caused 30% of the issue....but, he also delayed shipment which created the address snafu in the first place.

I'd go after him in small claims first, than if you win...out him here. I'd also let him know your plans so he has one last chance to placate you.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Bigstick

Sorry you're having issues with this vendor. I posted the below in another thread just yesterday. That member was having issues with another member not a business. Plus I agree with others who have requested the ID of this business.

I know there's two sides to every story so why hasn't this "long time" vendor given his side in this tread?

Good Luck!

Been here awhile now and for the most part had very good success with other members on transactions.

Being a little older than most members, I guess I'm old school in my expectations of members I do business with. I treat them with respect and maturely and expect they do the same with me.

The only acceptable reasons (in my book) for not promptly communicating with the buyer or seller during a transaction are as follows;

1....Death
2....Coma
3....Jail / Prison

Once a person accepts your payment for goods, it is their responsibility to provide those goods within the terms of the agreed transaction or immediately notify (via cell, text, email or PM) the person they are dealing with, about any issues.

Any other excuses are unacceptable and pure BS !!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like a nightmare of a transaction. I agree with the other Calgunner, you need to OUT HIM. We all need to be aware of Vendors with poor customer service. Hope all gets resolved for you asap.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

That is way to long for anything to be shipped in today's economy. File a dispute with Paypal immediately and recover your funds. Out the vendor as there has been plenty of time for responses.

The fact they admitted to leaving something out of your order without prior notice is unacceptable.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Flame on
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Paypal dispute. Get your money back
Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Out him for these reasons:

1) accepted money up front but didn't ship for over a month.
2) seemed able to communicate quickly when you wanted to change/cancel the order, but wasn't able to ship quickly or always communicate quickly to requests for info.
3) admits after the fact to not shipping the full order, but didn't mention it proactively or in communications before you discovered it. (I hate surprises!)
4) disputes missing items which are his fault. If he had notified you that he only shipped x,y but left out z in the 1st shipment then there wouldn't be a he-said, she-said issue with what was actually in the box.

The rest of us deserve to know who is marketing here but providing this level of "service." The vendor deserves to be outed and have an opportunity to provide their side of the story. But based on your experience, I think they've lost the benefit of anonymity.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM
9mm>.40
CGN Contributor

Get on paypal and file a dispute that the package was incomplete.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

Last edited by monk; 08-22-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Calguns Addict

You need to out the vendor. So no other cal gunner get's Ripped off.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM

If he goes thru PayPal and they find out it was a firearms related purchase he will lose his account.

I agree with most, out with him. The rest of us should know who to deal and who not to deal. I hate threads like "I just got screwed by a fellow CG'er or vendor but I won't tell you who it is"

Might as well save everyone's time and not start this thread in the first place.

WTS: White Oak Armament Adjustable Stock
Old 08-23-2012, 4:41 AM

Either out him or be silent! We don't need the aggravation of this type of vendor OR only half of the story!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenamaxtle View Post
Out him, he deserves it
That won't happen. When these threads pop up, they don't name the supposed crooked vendor, often because the story is one sided or embellished. Outing the vendor will allow the vendor to refute exaggerations and inaccurate information. We will never learn who the vendor is in this case, but that's to be expected.
Old 08-23-2012, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not saying this about the op, I'm just saying it in general....but a clean half the time or more when these threads pop up there is some little detail left out that makes a huge difference.

OP already admitted to a lack of communication leading to part of the problem, and I'd tell the OP it is pretty stupid to be ordering stuff when you know you will be moving a month later.
Old 08-23-2012, 7:41 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Using the above information (since that's all we have at this point)

Item was paid for on June 24th.

Seller stated it was supposed to ship July 2nd- tracking number generated the following week (?).

End of July, item still not received.

For me, it matters not that the OP moved. Three weeks is PLENTY of time to ship an item or communicate that there is an issue with the order.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 08-23-2012, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoguy2002 View Post
it is pretty stupid to be ordering stuff when you know you will be moving a month later.
I can't disagree with that more. Unless it's something custom or hand made, it shouldn't take a month to place an order, have the order fulfilled, and receive your order.

These actions should not be tolerated... There is zero excuse for complete lack of customer service and/or being otherwise jerked around by any individual or company in a business transaction. If that's how you run your business, please let me know so I can take my business elsewhere.

To what I've said above, I'm speaking in general terms. We don't have the full story here, or the details. We have no idea who he ordered from or what he ordered.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:10 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoguy2002 View Post
I'm not saying this about the op, I'm just saying it in general....but a clean half the time or more when these threads pop up there is some little detail left out that makes a huge difference.

OP already admitted to a lack of communication leading to part of the problem, and I'd tell the OP it is pretty stupid to be ordering stuff when you know you will be moving a month later.
The rest of the story aside. I strongly disagree with the part in bold.

The old days of mail order with a 6-8 week delivery time have been gone since the internet and credit card type purchases began.

It's been many years since I ordered something over the internet that did not ship out in a day or three unless the item was in "Out of stock" status.

Here I am.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

OP; You said you had the open the box to find out items were missing. Was the box sealed? Had it been resealed? Did you literally have to cut open the tape?

If the box was still taped shut with its original seal (not taped shut by UPS), the vendor has no way of claiming the package was tampered with and items were stolen. If the box was open, I'd like to know why. Was it cut? Was the box damaged by UPS? Did the vendor just do a crappy job sealing the box?

The truth is in the details.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:22 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Ok enough speculation. I am the vendor in question. He ordered a 100 pack of my autographed posters and it takes awhile to sign them all.

Ten Percent Firearms Posters

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 08-23-2012, 8:24 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Ok enough speculation. I am the vendor in question. He ordered a 100 pack of my autographed posters and it takes awhile to sign them all.

Fer chrissakes use both hands then.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:

what has been seen cannot be unseen.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 08-23-2012, 8:35 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You are a very sick puppy.

Here I am.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Without a name all Cal Guns vendors are suspects,which is not fair to the others,otherwise its just a pissing contest
I'm the Cal Guns vendor and so is my wife.

Robinson Arms XCR 7.62X39

Gun Spot - Find any gun store or FFL transfer agent with this iPhone app.

Range Spot - Find almost any shooting range and training facility with this iPhone app.
Old 08-23-2012, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beretta View Post
Being a little older than most members, I guess I'm old school in my expectations of members I do business with. I treat them with respect and maturely and expect they do the same with me.

The only acceptable reasons (in my book) for not promptly communicating with the buyer or seller during a transaction are as follows;

1....Death
2....Coma
3....Jail / Prison

Once a person accepts your payment for goods, it is their responsibility to provide those goods within the terms of the agreed transaction or immediately notify (via cell, text, email or PM) the person they are dealing with, about any issues.

Any other excuses are unacceptable and pure BS !!!
I wholeheartedly agree!

Regardless of age, this is how business should be done.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 08-23-2012, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

It is time to out him, and give him a chance to respond. I try and buy through cg vendors, and I would like to know who to think twice about.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.