Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Cannon Scout 19 gun safe (Purchased Bull dog 24 gun instead)

Ok so game change: I was looking at a buddy's buddy selling a like new gun safe because (he needed a smaller safe for his house) for $750..

I was shopping around and saw home depot has and ships free to your door for $750 + tax. My question is anyone have anything good or bad to say about these safes? Again its a Cannon Scout 19 24 gun safe.

I plan on holding Rifles shotguns and pistols ammo and reloading equipment if I have the space. And possibly a few of my cousins rifles and shotguns and have a safe that will last me a life time and hold a decent sized collection.

Good safe for the money..? Or is there something else better out there for the price in the sub $1000 near $700 if possible price range?

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel

Last edited by CK_32; 08-22-2012 at 5:55 PM.. Reason: Change of plan
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ignore this post.

UPDATE: last pages show the safe I went with. Bull dog 24 gun safe for $850 shipped/installed. (shipping/install was only $25 due to me living down the road)

Come to find out the Winchester 24 gun and basic safes like it are all made from the same factory and shipped out to the different shops and slap a logo and paint job on it and send it to the sales floor. If they have the same burn rating same locking bolts and same specs and design usuall it's from the same place and the same safe. So check your local safe dealers because they will probably have them.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel

Last edited by CK_32; 09-04-2012 at 4:36 PM.. Reason: Never mind
Old 08-18-2012, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone?

I plan on putting in the order by Monday if anyone has any info or anything to put in.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 4:59 PM

I got this one on sale and with renting a u-haul truck to bring it home it still came out to less than $700.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winches...pacity-1043297
Old 08-18-2012, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last time I was in the market for a safe, a major safe dealer told me that they can get the same safe that costco carries for about $200 more than what costco was selling it for. Yes, their wholesale price was $200ish more than Costco's retail price. I ended up buying two (one for a friend) Cannon Executives from Costco the next week.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-18-2012, 5:06 PM

Cannon is a good safe. You might want to check out turners they hav sales for really nice lookin champion safes for under 1k. Deans safes in Panorama city has a nice show room. You might want to wait alittle longer and check out all your options. That's what I'm doing now seems like champion is the best way to go for the price
Old 08-18-2012, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
I got this one on sale and with renting a u-haul truck to bring it home it still came out to less than $700.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winches...pacity-1043297
Yea I like that is has way more locking bolts.. Only thing Im concerned about is the door holsters looks kind of flimsy and look like they may tear. Also he site said no shipping to CA on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Last time I was in the market for a safe, a major safe dealer told me that they can get the same safe that costco carries for about $200 more than what costco was selling it for. Yes, their wholesale price was $200ish more than Costco's retail price. I ended up buying two (one for a friend) Cannon Executives from Costco the next week.
Costco still sells them?? I saw a think that hey have $200 off sales back in 2010/11 on them but didnt see any on their web site like they carried cannon anymore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
Cannon is a good safe. You might want to check out turners they hav sales for really nice lookin champion safes for under 1k. Deans safes in Panorama city has a nice show room. You might want to wait alittle longer and check out all your options. That's what I'm doing now seems like champion is the best way to go for the price
Yea Ill keep an eye out and wait a little bit.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 5:48 PM

The door holsters are actually very sturdy. I keep a loaded Glock 20 in one of the holsters and don't have any issues with it.

The safes typically go on sale a few times a year at $599 so with a truck rental and a pizza and 24 pack for your buddies to help you move it you get a nice safe for under or slightly over $700.

I lucked out and have a Tractor Supply 5 miles from where I live. Make sure you look at the Cannon before you buy. There are some really nice Cannon safes and then there are some super cheap low quality badged Cannon safes that can rust on you as the bottom isn't painted or coated with anything and the interior is pretty cheap in regards to build quality and materials.

I was originally going to get a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply and went with the smaller Winchester that I linked earlier after looking at them in person. The reality is that both safes probably rolled out of the same factory in China with one built to better specs than the other.
Old 08-18-2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Anyone?

I plan on putting in the order by Monday if anyone has any info or anything to put in.
I like Cannon safes, especially their warranty. Costco usually has them on sale. Right now you can get the 5940 wide body delivered for $799. This is considerably larger than the Scout 19, and for the extra $50, you're increasing your capacity significantly. One thing you should know, what ever safe you think you should buy, buy BIGGER. You fill it up VERY quickly and not only with firearms. Important things around your house that you wouldn't want taken in a theft (smash and grab). Just my .02

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...uctsInCategory
Old 08-18-2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
The door holsters are actually very sturdy. I keep a loaded Glock 20 in one of the holsters and don't have any issues with it.

The safes typically go on sale a few times a year at $599 so with a truck rental and a pizza and 24 pack for your buddies to help you move it you get a nice safe for under or slightly over $700.

I lucked out and have a Tractor Supply 5 miles from where I live. Make sure you look at the Cannon before you buy. There are some really nice Cannon safes and then there are some super cheap low quality badged Cannon safes that can rust on you as the bottom isn't painted or coated with anything and the interior is pretty cheap in regards to build quality and materials.

I was originally going to get a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply and went with the smaller Winchester that I linked earlier after looking at them in person. The reality is that both safes probably rolled out of the same factory in China with one built to better specs than the other.
The Cannons that TSC stocks are labeled "Made in Mexico." The Winchesters are "Made in China." Suprisingly, I think the Winchesters are made better.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 08-18-2012, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Aw man you got my wheels spinning..

So the Winchester is smaller?? I want the one with more space..

I'm thinking the only reason I could see the cannon being more expensive is that power supply/USB they have in the back..

And I found a ton of cannon vs winchester threads on various forums via google and notice the deal breaker for 90% of them was on the hinges on the outside.. Personally I dont think I like that due to them being exposed and In my eyes (not a thief) but would seem like a weak easy access spot.. Shouldnt interior be better?

Also the price tag scares me that the cannon is almost exactly the same as the Winchester with interior design but you say the quality is better and it does have more bolts for the door.. Then where does the $$ save come in.. Makes me wonder what they skimped on.. Maybe something im missing.. And I would check them out but have no clue where or even seen a tractor supply and or safes at my local costco or sams club.. So I wouldn't know where to see one in person..

But from what Ive seen Winchester and the cannon seem like the 2 I'm looking at now..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post
I like Cannon safes, especially their warranty. Costco usually has them on sale. Right now you can get the 5940 wide body delivered for $799. This is considerably larger than the Scout 19, and for the extra $50, you're increasing your capacity significantly. One thing you should know, what ever safe you think you should buy, buy BIGGER. You fill it up VERY quickly and not only with firearms. Important things around your house that you wouldn't want taken in a theft (smash and grab). Just my .02

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...uctsInCategory
I see that but honestly this 19 is bigger.. I plan on holding 8 long guns and maybe 5 pistols in the next 5 years 3 long guns which are my cousins. I feel it is bigger but you can never have too much space IMO.. But I dont want to impulse buy and never come close to filling and waste that space and $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
The Cannons that TSC stocks are labeled "Made in Mexico." The Winchesters are "Made in China." Suprisingly, I think the Winchesters are made better.
Yea I have seen that both are made out of us.. But I'm not a "merican made" kind of guy as long as its quality and works. What exactly do you find better on the winny than the cannon?

Also I still dont get why the external bolt thing would be better? Only thing better I see on the Winchester is the 6 more door bolts and the door gun rack.. But again never seen either in person as of yet

Keep he info coming fellas really opening my eyes to a lot right now.. Im now definintely on the fence with both of these.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 6:20 PM

The door bolts in 4 directions so the outside hinge shouldn't make it any easier to steal. Folks like the hinge on the outside because you can open the door wider compared to internal hinges.

I'm not sure which Cannon you are looking at to compare to the Winchester. I hate to say it but you really should look at the safe's in person before buying. Looking at pictures on the internet isn't the same as being able to run your hands along each safe.

Cannon make some top notch Safe's but they also put their name on safe's that aren't the greatest quality. Just make sure you know which one you are spending your money on.

**Edit**

Looking at the Cannon safe linked in a post above my smaller Winchester is heavier, which tells me that the Winchester is using heavier gauged steel.

Last edited by ZNiner; 08-18-2012 at 6:24 PM..
Old 08-18-2012, 6:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm looking at the basic 24 gun cannon s19 and the Winchester 24 gun basic save not sure of model I think the scout.. But now maybe concise ring the bigger safe linked above for 799 42 gun safe..

But that heavier steal is kind of a big pro.. And yea I'll definintely be seeing these in person before I buy now.. Just trying to find a dealer or local shops that carry them both to compare.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Liberty safe that I bough a few years ago. It is a 12 gun safe and very functional. I do not care for the electronic locks on many safes so mine is a dial lock.

That said, I thought I bought a big enough safe. At the time I owned two rifles and a shot gun and two pistols. Now that safe is busting at the seams for room.

Springfields motto is "Bring enough gun", I now say "Buy enough safe"! I should have bought a slightly larger safe!
Old 08-18-2012, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I fully agree huge believer in buy once cry once but I'm not sure if I can fit a 40" by 30" 40 gun safe in my house. The 24 gun seems like its badly squeezing in. I'd love that bigger safe but I'm not sure if I have the room..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 7:37 PM

Really look at the interior or the safes. The cheap "suede" material inside the Cannons often starts falling off the moment they get to the stores. I have never seen that with the carpet interior of the TSC Winchesters. It may be a localized thing, but it IS what I see.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 08-18-2012, 8:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok so I found a tractor supply in long beach about 20 min drive from my place.. But their web site says they dont ship in CA or 10 other states.... Anyone know a Orange county spot that delivers or is local to huntington beach that has the Winchesters ranger 24 gun??

Winchesters site sells them for $1200 shipped to my door or picked up.. F that.. And the Canon I can have shipped to my door from sams club direct to my door for $750..

And does anyone know of a Safe shop near OC so I can take a look at them in person?? Ive googled and come up with nothing but private businesses selling their own gun safes and nothing more.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-18-2012, 9:17 PM
CGSSA Associate

Here's a quick google list of some options for you. Don't know if they have the exact one you're lookin at, but.... Seriously consider the buy once, cry once option. 8 years ago, I bought a 60 gun safe, and am now close to out growing it. If you have a garage, consider putting it in there if room is an issue.

Winchester Safes - Ammo Bros

Ft Knox Safe dealer - Balport Lock and Safe in Newport.

Liberty Safe dealer - West Coast Safes Inc. in Ontario

Browning Safes at Bass Pro Shops and Turners

Gun show in Costa Mesa tomorrow (Sun)

Patriot Safe Co in Huntington

Most of these places will have more than just what I listed available.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Awesome! Thanks for the list yea my google maps on my phone wasn't pulling anything up..

I did find same club and home depot but their prices changed since the last I looked and I can't find the winchesters..

What I'm planning is getting this small one for now (onl 22 years old) then when I move out on my own buy another if I need the space and get a bigger so I can have one for quick access and one for long storage.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok im lost again... Now the ranger 19's are listed at $850 with the top and side shleves and gun rack and the 14 with just top shelf and one gun rack is only 720.. I swore the 19 and cannon scout 19 were the same price yesterday morning.. Did I miss something??

And the 14

I found a spot that has them for $799 for the 19 but with like $300 shipping...

While the cannon has side shelf and side shelves with top shelves for $750... Just yesterday morning they were the same price what happened...?

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-19-2012, 6:21 PM

Default tractor supply in long beach?!?

i was on the phone with tractor supply and their website also and was informed their southernmost store was barstow
they have the safe i would lie but barstow is pretty far long beach works fro me
can you tell me the address?
Old 08-19-2012, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think it's around Lakewood my iPhone maps won't pull it uphutielueve I saw it on there.
You should call and ask if they can actually ship to the long beach store

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-22-2012, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ended up purchasing a Bull Dog 24 gun safe. Exact same thing as the Winchester 24 gun. Found out they are all from the same warehouse and companies just buy them and slap their name on it. Same exact specs and dimensions and features and build quality..

Bought the 59x30x22 safe with side by side gun rack top shelf and shelves on left side with hand gun curtin on door with all around locking bolts.. Same exact quality of the Winchester. Not the greatest interior build but nice and soft carpet for what you get.

Not bad for $850 shipped to my door after tax and installed and help a local company out.Even tho the Winchester was $650 + $100 shipping to your door (curb side not installed) and don't even ship to CA at all.. Home depot cannon 14 gun would have cost about 750 + tax shipped not installed.. So about $850 also after tax (10% of 750 = $75 total $825) but the bull dog I at least got to see in person and pick the best one instead of click pay and hope for a good product.

Decent safe can't complain. Great purchase for anyone looking to spend less than $900. I took a look at the bigger sized universal safe which was the "34" gun which was wide but the space inside was almost exactly the same as the 24 gun I purchased.. For an extra $150.

I would reccomended this safe and all other universal safes. Look up the Winchester 24 gun safe and if the specs are almost identical to the safe your looking at it is the same safe with a different sticker on it.. Guys explained they are made at a warehouse safe company and sold to stores so they put a sticker on their safe and turn and sell it.

Decent basic closet/garage safe.

Same safe as below Just in black and bulldog safe sticker instead of winchester vvv

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel

Last edited by CK_32; 08-22-2012 at 7:03 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 6:12 PM
CGSSA Associate

Congrats on the new safe, and thanks for the update.

Now go fill er up

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 08-22-2012, 6:31 PM

Congrats on the pickup. The Winchester 24 gun and the various safes like it are a good value in regards to what you get for your money. It's nice you were able to find pretty much that model in your area.

I have been very happy with mine.
Old 08-22-2012, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yea again thanks a ton for helping me out and putting up with the questions I know it gets tedious sometimes asking the simple questions..

But I like it it's not a high quality Bentley but it will do the job and it's not like I can just recarpet the inside it's all simple fabric to wood glued or stapled which I think is how I will replace it due to it being thicker material and the staples beingdeep enough not to harm the guns going in and out. Not the best QC I've seen by again it's just to hold them away from the kids and hopefully make some noise and slow down the bad guys and and slert the neighbors and help with insurance claims showing I did my part if they get stolen.

Was kind of impressed with the 24 gun hopefully I can fill her to copasity

I was actually really shocked how the 36 gun was the same safe just like 4 inches wider and the gun racks only has one extra holder.. That was pretty chincey.. But what ever I feel it will hold it's value.

Again thanks a ton for the input guys really helped me out.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel

Last edited by CK_32; 08-22-2012 at 6:58 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 7:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Congrats. I just picked up a 18 gun Liberty ProSafe. I was checking out some of the winchesters, didn't like the fact that they were foreign made (at least the models I was looking at).

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 08-22-2012, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yea I saw that too that they were made in china and or Mexico.. And them being all from the same warehouse if assume all the "universal" safes are.. I'm going to start reffering to them as universal because every safe I've looked at under $1200 unless it's a custom built safe are all the same specs and features.. Some just charge 700 others charge 999.. Sometimes even the same company safe at different places vary a few hundred..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-22-2012, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

I thought I bought that winchester safe for 499 @ costco about 2.5 years ago...did the price jump that much since then?

Old 08-22-2012, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
I thought I bought that winchester safe for 499 @ costco about 2.5 years ago...did the price jump that much since then?
Depends on which safe you bought.. Some go for $400.. $600 $850.. $999 and a huge $1200 safe.. But yea I saw they had 14 and 19 gun safes a while back.. From what I've read they had a clearance price on them due to them not carrying them anymore and were going for around that price.. Saw it posted all over for my original research and was bummed because I called them right away and looked online and didn't see them listed..

So I think that might have been clearance pricing for the 19 gun back in 08/09. Few breads posted then ever said that was cheap

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-22-2012, 8:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yea I saw that too that they were made in china and or Mexico.. And them being all from the same warehouse if assume all the "universal" safes are.. I'm going to start reffering to them as universal because every safe I've looked at under $1200 unless it's a custom built safe are all the same specs and features.. Some just charge 700 others charge 999.. Sometimes even the same company safe at different places vary a few hundred..
I payed right under 500 for mine, but I picked it up at the cabelas dock, then payed 60 bucks for a couple guys to move it. Not the best quality, but does what I need.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

Old 08-22-2012, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think I know what safe your talking about. The store I was at has a smaller safe for $499.. Didn't pay much attention to it tho.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-22-2012, 9:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think I know what safe your talking about. The store I was at has a smaller safe for $499.. Didn't pay much attention to it tho.
Yea, its not huge, but it will fit 18 if fit together like puzzle pieces. I was going to order the 18 gun Winchester, but I'm making an honest effort to buy as much US made stuff as possible. I don't think my apartments floor could take a larger safe then 300 lbs.

Old 08-22-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have the safe in the video...or at least it looks identical, the measurements could be different but the shelving, spacig etc looks the same. I picked mine up @ Costco.

It's been great so far, and at 420(IIRC) lbs I can move it around the house, like I did a month ago.

Old 08-23-2012, 5:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yea I think mine was rated at like 575 or something lbs.. You might have the one down it's just A little smaller by like 4 inches I believe not sure of the weight on it tho. Either way they are the same quality and decent safes. I just opted for the extra inches for the extra $100 out the door including install. As everyone says always buy bigger so I did.

Only thing I noticed it they all have about the same size and type rack but the shelves next to it just get more space than anything.. By a few inches only. Until you got into the safe with 10 rows of just long gun racks of course.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM

CK, where did you buy it? I am assuming local.
Old 08-23-2012, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yea I bought it in ahehiem by knotts berry farm.. SoCal.. If anyone wants their info I'll gladly share it.. It's about 15 min from my house.

Also I noticed the warrante manufacture/the shops only cover it for a year the manufacture cover theft and flood and fire for one year.. The shop covers the mechanism only so if it gets jammed..

Has anyone had a sticky mechanism or it got stuck and wouldn't close or open? That's my biggest fear.. They aren't butter but they feel solid but again it's not a million roller safe.. The action of the bars is a little grainy.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-23-2012, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yea I bought it in ahehiem by knotts berry farm.. SoCal.. If anyone wants their info I'll gladly share it.. It's about 15 min from my house.

Also I noticed the warrante manufacture/the shops only cover it for a year the manufacture cover theft and flood and fire for one year.. The shop covers the mechanism only so if it gets jammed..

Has anyone had a sticky mechanism or it got stuck and wouldn't close or open? That's my biggest fear.. They aren't butter but they feel solid but again it's not a million roller safe.. The action of the bars is a little grainy.

My 2 year old son really wants in my safe so he is constantly tugging on the handle, up and down while dangling his body weight from it at times. So far so good...knock on wood of course.

Old 08-23-2012, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Haha child test FTW! If anything pops up let me know. Probably more abuse than my safe will see.. Knock on wood also..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel