Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-16-2012, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Default 22/45 MKIII Spring Failure (Picture)

I went about my annual complete disassembly/cleaning for my 22/45 yesterday when I noticed a problem. I took apart the bolt, removed the firing pin, and saw this below it:

Exactly one coil from one end of the rebound spring had broken off. I was unable to tell which end it broke off of as the broken coil was just sitting in the channel. I put the gun back together for now, doesn't seem to effect the function in any way. Either way though I won't be firing it until I get the spring replaced. Called Ruger this morning and they're going to send a new one out first thing tomorrow.

I was just wondering if any MK owners have had this problem before. Never came across it on the web.
Old 08-16-2012, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Interesting, I have never attempted to take apart the bolt on my GF's 22/45. I've stripped the frame down bare but never the bolt.

Does the firing pin channel get pretty gummed up so you take the bolt apart when you do your deep clean?

Glad they are sending you out a replacement asap
Old 08-16-2012, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks. Good to know about

It may not be a bad idea to have a spare spring
Old 08-16-2012, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Interesting, I have never attempted to take apart the bolt on my GF's 22/45. I've stripped the frame down bare but never the bolt.

Does the firing pin channel get pretty gummed up so you take the bolt apart when you do your deep clean?

Glad they are sending you out a replacement asap
The channel actually stays relatively clean, it's more the tip of the pin and the extractor that gets gunky. I just like to wipe every last piece down when I deep clean since it isn't very frequently. Removing the extractor can be a mini mission, but removing the firing pin is super easy once you have the bolt removed. I'd recommend you take a peak at yours too if it's been a while..
Old 08-16-2012, 8:10 PM

Springs are wear items. Get 2 - one to replace the broken one and one spare.
The other one that tends to lose tension is the extractor spring.

The best deal is to order directly from Ruger @ $2 each, but they have $10 minimum + shipping.
Old 08-16-2012, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

I have had my MKIII 22/45 for only 8 months and have shot 1000rds(my estimate) with out issues. I have taken the bolt apart two times for cleaning, just to find it does not get that dirty to justify disassembling that often.
No broken springs for me!
Old 08-16-2012, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat View Post
Springs are wear items. Get 2 - one to replace the broken one and one spare.
The other one that tends to lose tension is the extractor spring.

The best deal is to order directly from Ruger @ $2 each, but they have $10 minimum + shipping.
Yeah thanks for the advice, I'll have to pick up some spare parts. I've been buying spare parts for my more recent g19 & just never got around to getting parts for the ruger.
Old 08-16-2012, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
I have had my MKIII 22/45 for only 8 months and have shot 1000rds(my estimate) with out issues. I have taken the bolt apart two times for cleaning, just to find it does not get that dirty to justify disassembling that often.
No broken springs for me!
8 months and only 1,000 rounds?!?! Thing's still brand new!

When mine was new I would take it apart after every outing.. mostly to familiarize myself with its disassembly. After several months I too quickly realized there is little purpose in cleaning it that often. Still not a bad habit though.

However it does get dirty pretty quick when I go outdoor shooting, rapid fire & all..