Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-01-2012, 9:17 PM

Default Camp Pendleton Weapons Regulations

Gentlemen,

I am posting this to clear up some of the misconceptions about registering your weapons on base. I have lurked around Calguns long enough to see individuals posting incorrect infomation and hopefully you all can benefit from reading the order/regulations. They are very simple. If you have any questions or need any clarification please let me know.

Reference(s): Camp Pendleton Base Order 5000.2k

DEFINITION OF A FIREARM

BO 5000.2K – PG 6-34
“… The term “firearm” shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a weapon from which is expelled a potentially lethal projectile by the force of any explosion or combustion, through force of air pressure or C02 pressure, or by spring action.”

Base Regulations require that all privately-owned weapons brought aboard Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton for storage must be registered within 72 hours after having been introduced on board the military installation.

Personal weapons will be registered at the Police Records section (Bldg. 1523, Mon-Fri from 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., telephone 725-0819).

The PMO complex is on mainside, Drive on vandegrift past MCX, Country store, ad Johnny Rockets. Its your first light after Rocket's. Take a LEFT and an immediate RIGHT into the PMO complex. Walk down the left side of the building to get to police records. Bring the bill of sale OR the unloaded cased weapon.

Additionally, personnel will deregister their weapons within 72 hours of their sale or removal from the base.

Persons living in Base Housing are authorized to store weapons in their quarters. Marines living in BEQs/BOQs are required to store their weapons in their unit armory.

Base Order P5000.2 states:

"Personal weapons and ammunition will not be kept or stored in barracks, BOQs, BEQs, Temporary Lodging Facilities, in boats kept at the Marina, in any vehicle in storage lots, or office spaces. Privately-owned weapons and ammunition owned by personnel residing in BOQs, BEQs, and barracks will be stored in unit armories."

"Personnel residing in family housing (other than the temporary lodging facilities) may store their registered weapons in their quarters. All weapons and ammunition will be stored in approved containers. Weapons containers must be capable of being locked. All weapons will be fitted with a trigger lock."

Storage of any ammunition greater than small arms ammunition, to include explosives, in government owned quarters is prohibited.

"Weapons will not be routinely carried or stored in vehicles."

BO P5000.2 requires that the following weapons be registered:
(1) Pistols/Revolvers
(2) Rifles
(3) Shotguns
(4) BB/Pellet Guns
(5) Paint Guns
(6) Historical type weapons
(7) Crossbows
(8) Bows (conventional or compound)
(9) Spear Guns
(10) Assault Weapons*
(11) Knives**
(12) Martial Arts Weapons***

*Assault Weapons and .50 Calibre BMG (Browning Machine Gun) Rifles, as defined by California Penal Code sections 12275-12278 can only be registered on base after they have been registered with the California Department of Justice. Please direct questions to DOJ at (916) 263-4887, or http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

**Knives. All knives (to include swords and axes) primarily designed for offensive or defensive use, including folding knives with blades over 6 inches long, will be registered. This does not include kitchen knives or ceremonial swords with unsharpened edges/points, or folding knives with blades under 6 inches long.

***Martial arts weapons (e.g., nunchaku, tonfa, bo, etc.) may be possessed and registered on Base if the owner is certified to teach or is a bona fide student of that art of self-defense and is doing so through the Assistant Chief of Staff, Marine Corps Community Services or a nationally or internationally accredited dojo (i.e., school) off of the military installation.

Transportation Procedures:

Persons over the age of 18 years who reside or are temporarily aboard the military reservation may transport and carry any non-prohibited weapons, whether capable of being concealed upon the person or not, provided that the following applies to the weapon:

a. The weapon is within a motor vehicle, and it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

b. The weapon is carried by the person directly to and from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose (i.e., collectors organization meeting, hunter safety class, recognized sporting event involving that weapon, gun shop, gun show, or swap meet, target range, etc.) and while carrying the weapon, the weapon is unloaded and contained within a locked container.

c. As used in this directive, “locked container” is defined as a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment.

d. A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this directive when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case which holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in or attached to in any manner to the firearm, including but not limited to, in the firing chamber or magazine, clip, or speed loader. Refusal to allow law enforcement or security personnel to inspect a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this paragraph constitutes probable cause for apprehension/detention for violation of this requirement.

e. Weapons will not be routinely carried or stored in vehicles. In addition, razors without a guarded blade or common tools such as hatchets, axes, screwdrivers, hammers, and similar items shall be carried locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in the rear most cargo area, furthest from the driver when the vehicle has no trunk.

Registration Procedures:
It is not necessary to bring the weapon to the Police Records section to register the weapon if the owner has a Dealer’s Receipt of Sale.

Unique Requirements for Handgun Owners:
Registering your handgun on base does not fulfill your requirement to register the handgun with the State of California.

Per the California Department of Justice:
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

1. Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, or http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

2. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction. Or

3. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Persons who purchase a new handgun from MCCS are automatically registered with the California Department of Justice.

For questions concerning weapons registration aboard Camp Pendleton contact the Provost Marshal's Support Services Division at (760) 725-0819 / DSN: 365-0819 - Fax (760) 725-0820 / DSN: 365-0820.

I RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU ARE BRINGING IN ANY AK OR AR, MULTIPLE RIFLES FOR REGISTRATION, THAT YOU CALL AHEAD AND MAKE SURE JOE GRABMAN IS WORKING. MR. GRABMAN IS THE ASSISTANT SERVICES OFFICER AND I MAKE SURE HE WITNESSES THE REGISTRATION AND VERIFIES COMPLIANCE. HE CAN BE REACHED AT (760) 763-1221 OR AT JOE.A.GRABMAN@USMC.MIL . BRING IN THE UNLOADED WEAPON AND ACCOMPANY IT WITH A 10 ROUND MAG.

IF YOU SHOW UP TO PMO WITH AN AW, THEY WILL CONFISCATE THE FIREARM(S) AND YOU COULD BE ARRESTED OR TURNED OVER TO YOUR COMMAND CHAIN FOR PUNITIVE ACTION. THIS DOES HAPPEN! MARINES SHOW UP NOT RESEARCHING THE LAW AND END UP IN TROUBLE. BEFORE ENTERING THE STATE YOU MUST HAVE A BULLET BUTTON INSTALLED OR YOU COMMIT A FELONY. IF YOU REMOVE THE BULLET BUTTON WHILE ON BASE YOU HAVE VIOLATED STATE LAW AND IN TURN VIOLATE BASE ORDER. BEING ON BASE DOES NOT ABSOLVE YOU OF COMPLIANCE WITH STATE LAW.

I HAVE ASKED PMO TO CALL ME IF AN UNEDUCATED MARINE TRIES TO REGISTER AN AK OR AR RIFLE WTHOUT THE COMPLIANCE DEVICE. I TOLD THEM I WOULD DROP WHAT I WAS DOING AND BRING A DEVICE AND INSTALL IT ON THE SPOT FOR THEM. THEY DECLINED, SAYING THATS NOT THEIR PROBLEM. THOUGH I WOULD LIKE THEM TO LET ME HELP THE MARINE, I CAN'T BLAME THEM FOR THEIR POSITION.

THERE ARE MANY THREADS THAT OUTLINE WHAT CONSTITUTES AN AW, READ THEM IN THEIR ENIRETY. YOUR PISTOL WITH A THREADED BARREL IS AN AW, BASE KNOWS THIS.

Example of registration (CLEOC) form:

Last edited by HelmandHunter; 12-02-2012 at 6:08 PM.. Reason: ADDED MORE INFO
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM

I didn't read this entire post, because I am familiar with the regs, but are you pmo?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 PM

I am not PMO. I have had some unfortunate experiences with attempting to legally bring weapons from my home state to CA. These experiences have made me unusually familiar with base policy. I have attempted to persuade base to assume a supportive position on AW's but my pleading has fallen on deaf ears.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM

I suggest altering your weapons with a bullet button until you leave California
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM

TODD,

That is not only required, but the base now enforces it. If you show up attempting to register an AW without the state AW permit they confiscate your weapon and turn you over to your command for punitive action.

At least now I've convinced them to use Calguns flowcharts and they have been using them.

Also notice the registration form I posted, the Affirmation by the signature. "abide by Federal and STATE laws..."
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 PM

I find it interesting that Pendleton seems to ignore the fact that CA does not require non-resident military to register handguns brought in from out of state.
Old 12-02-2012, 6:26 AM

I think it's hilarious that young, dumb Marines who decide to get contract marriages can keep all of their firearms on base (or off base for that matter), while I can't be trusted to keep my guns even though I've been meritoriously promoted to corporal and sergeant since they've decided not to grant BAH own right on a basis of merit anymore.

It's really sad that the base has such an anti 2A policy (more restrictive than what the state mandates) and I honestly can't wait to tell the CO that it's part of the reason why I'm getting out.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

Last edited by The Soup Nazi; 12-02-2012 at 6:28 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 7:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmandHunter View Post

I have lurked around Calguns long enough to see individuals posting incorrect information and hopefully you all can benefit from reading the order/regulations.
Incorrect info, total B.S., and FUD here on Calguns??????? Perish the thought...... I thought the keyboard commandos here knew everything about everything..... lol.

Thanks for the good info!!!!!
(something rarely seen by the armchair lawyers here)
Old 12-02-2012, 8:47 AM

HelmandHunter,

Thanks for posting this info. I just transferred from NASL to Camp Pendleton and it is the exact same rules and regulation regarding having firearms on Base. Your weapon and magazine should be CA compliant, before you can even register it.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
I find it interesting that Pendleton seems to ignore the fact that CA does not require non-resident military to register handguns brought in from out of state.

You're not registering your weapon to CA, but to Camp Pendleton base itself. Every military base you go it's the same.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Unique Requirements for Handgun Owners:
Registering your handgun on base does not fulfill your requirement to register the handgun with the State of California.

Per the California Department of Justice:
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

1. Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, or http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

2. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction. Or

3. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Persons who purchase a new handgun from MCCS are automatically registered with the California Department of Justice.
STITCH,

I think NOVATOR was referring to this section regarding handguns. They do tell you that you must fill out a "HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT" at the BOF website.

The base does not ask for proof of handgun registration with the state, but they do tell you that in order to comply with CA law that you must do this. We all know this to be incorrect, but I was unable to get them to change the policy. I am not a lawyer, and the lawyers on base are quick to remind you of that fact.

I have found very few helpful staff on base, and unfortunately many anti 2A witch-hunters.

There are a group of civilians that work in police records. Most of them are helpful and they now use Calguns flowcharts for accuracy.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:40 AM

I added this text:

I RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU ARE BRINGING IN ANY AK OR AR, MULTIPLE RIFLES FOR REGISTRATION, THAT YOU CALL AHEAD AND MAKE SURE JOE GRABMAN IS WORKING. MR. GRABMAN IS THE ASSISTANT SERVICES OFFICER AND I MAKE SURE HE WITNESSES THE REGISTRATION AND VERIFIES COMPLIANCE. HE CAN BE REACHED AT (760) 763-1221 OR AT JOE.A.GRABMAN@USMC.MIL . BRING IN THE UNLOADED WEAPON AND ACCOMPANY IT WITH A 10 ROUND MAG.

IF YOU SHOW UP TO PMO WITH AN AW, THEY WILL CONFISCATE THE FIREARM(S) AND YOU COULD BE ARRESTED OR TURNED OVER TO YOUR COMMAND CHAIN FOR PUNITIVE ACTION. THIS DOES HAPPEN! MARINES SHOW UP NOT RESEARCHING THE LAW AND END UP IN TROUBLE. BEFORE ENTERING THE STATE YOU MUST HAVE A BULLET BUTTON INSTALLED OR YOU COMMIT A FELONY. IF YOU REMOVE THE BULLET BUTTON WHILE ON BASE YOU HAVE VIOLATED STATE LAW AND IN TURN VIOLATE BASE ORDER. BEING ON BASE DOES NOT ABSOLVE YOU OF COMPLIANCE WITH STATE LAW.

I HAVE ASKED PMO TO CALL ME IF AN UNEDUCATED MARINE TRIES TO REGISTER AN AK OR AR RIFLE WTHOUT THE COMPLIANCE DEVICE. I TOLD THEM I WOULD DROP WHAT I WAS DOING AND BRING A DEVICE AND INSTALL IT ON THE SPOT FOR THEM. THEY DECLINED, SAYING THATS NOT THEIR PROBLEM. THOUGH I WOULD LIKE THEM TO LET ME HELP THE MARINE, I CAN'T BLAME THEM FOR THEIR POSITION.

Last edited by HelmandHunter; 12-02-2012 at 6:08 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 4:01 PM

E,

good on you for putting this out there. I'd hate to see someone go through the mess you had to back on the float.
Old 12-02-2012, 6:06 PM

Hey what's up man. Mess is an understatement.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:19 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
STITCH,

I think NOVATOR was referring to this section regarding handguns. They do tell you that you must fill out a "HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT" at the BOF website.

The base does not ask for proof of handgun registration with the state, but they do tell you that in order to comply with CA law that you must do this. We all know this to be incorrect, but I was unable to get them to change the policy. I am not a lawyer, and the lawyers on base are quick to remind you of that fact.
Jeebus - don't they read the law itself?
Quote:
California Penal Code Section 17000
(a) As used in this part, until January 1, 2014, any
reference to the term "personal firearm importer" shall be deemed to
mean "personal handgun importer" and, on and after January 1, 2014,
any reference to the term "personal handgun importer" shall be deemed
to mean "personal firearm importer." A "personal handgun importer,"
until January 1, 2014, and commencing January 1, 2014, a "personal
firearm importer" means an individual who meets all of the following
criteria:
(1) The individual is not a person licensed pursuant to Article 1
(commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with
Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4.
(2) The individual is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms
pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of
the United States Code.
(3) The individual is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant
to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the
United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) The individual is the owner of a firearm.
(5) The individual acquired that firearm outside of California.
(6) The individual moved into this state on or after January 1,
1998, in the case of a handgun, or in the case of a firearm that is
not a handgun, on or after January 1, 2014, as a resident of this
state.

(7) The individual intends to possess that handgun within this
state on or after January 1, 1998, or in the case of a firearm that
is not a handgun, he or she intends to possess that firearm within
this state on or after January 1, 2014.
(8) The firearm was not delivered to the individual by a person
licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and
Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6
of Title 4, who delivered that firearm following the procedures set
forth in Section 27540 and Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700)
and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of
Division 6 of Title 4.
(9) The individual, while a resident of this state, had not
previously reported ownership of that firearm to the Department of
Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included
information concerning the individual and a description of the
firearm.
(10) The firearm is not a firearm that is prohibited by any
provision listed in Section 16590.
(11) The firearm is not an assault weapon.
(12) The firearm is not a machinegun.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
(14) The firearm is not a .50 BMG rifle.
(15) The firearm is not a destructive device.

(b) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (a):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of a member of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when the
individual was discharged from active service in this state.
Even non-lawyers get to read the Penal Code as written.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-03-2012 at 6:21 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
STITCH,

I have found very few helpful staff on base, and unfortunately many anti 2A witch-hunters.

There are a group of civilians that work in police records. Most of them are helpful and they now use Calguns flowcharts for accuracy.
Funny how they just "tell" you to comply with CA law and register your hand gun with the state, most likely assuming that people checking in probably don't know, but they confiscate your AW if you are missing a BB which I would imagine a fair number of people don't know as well. Wonder how many are now owned by the civilians at PMO.

While I think this post is a great idea, unfortunately, anyone who lurks on here or reads here will most likely never need the post. It's the poor saps from backwoods nowhere that think all gun laws are like their state that will make the mistake of bringing their weapons in because they know that's what they have to do and they get hemmed up on a technicality.

Last edited by Clownpuncher; 12-03-2012 at 6:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM

great break down of the CP regs, I have had little success in making corrections to Regulations in my years. Sometimes you grin, and take it in

Last edited by boomer135; 12-03-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Did Feinstein draft this policy or what? Sure does look like they don't trust Marines to be able to act resposibly with their personal weapons. Pretty sad.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
You're not registering your weapon to CA, but to Camp Pendleton base itself. Every military base you go it's the same.
Uh, no its not.

True every military base requires registration, but a word to the wise :Any member who PCS's or TDY's with firearms had best check with their destination base before arrival on the regulations!

Case in point:at my last Air Force duty station the base regulations mirror Helmandhunter's post save for two exclusions; all weapons registered on base have to be signed into and out of the armory, and whenever a member transported a firearm they have to proceed directly to the nearest gate with no stops in between.

I've posted about a previous example regarding Alaska's Army Bases banning concealed carry off post, and I know at one point in time right after Ft Hood POWs were outright banned on several military bases. When even the smallest breach in firearm regulation is enforceable under the UCMJ, its wise for the member to accomplish their due diligence on gun laws of their duty station.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
Sure does look like they don't trust Marines to be able to act resposibly with their personal weapons. Pretty sad.
Not to judge the Marine Corps' chain of command, but that's exactly why the regs are written as they are.

In the modern military metrics are the lifeblood of Officer life. Entire careers live and die at the whims of Excel spreadsheets, and "Base Accident & Crime Rates" are one of them. If so much as ONE Airman, Marine, Sailor or Soldier ends up dead or injured due to some member-initiated stupidity involving a firearm , it goes into official record that Incident X happened on Commander Y's Watch. Too many criminal incidents involving weapons means no Generals' stars for Commander Y.

Thus the restrictive regulations. Should the lead fly and a military member end up shot, the Wing King can tell his boss "It was out of my hands. The gun wasn't registered." Or "After this incident, I've ordered Security Forces to take Airman So-and-So's guns into police custody".More insidiously, if anyone in your Chain of Command gets "concerned" about your mental state they know exactly where to snag your guns and can order you disarmed by decree.

Honestly, the base gun regs are bad but a manageable hassle. The Lautenberg Amendment is a real b!tch, because if your lady friend civilian or military gets pissy she can end your military career with one phone call to the base Sexual Assault Office. I've heard my friends wife brag about doing just that during an argument I sadly had the 'honor' to witness.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 12-04-2012, 7:16 AM

This insanity is why I enjoy living off base. No need for big brother navy to know what I have, and no degenerate MAs messing with my toys (apologies and thanks to the good MAs who have to deal with the reputation).
Old 12-04-2012, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

This process forgotten and must be repeated every 2-3 years with PMO due to personel turnover, when I registered my Locked mag AR and AK on base back in 2006/2007 I had to fight with them and show them they were legal, then in 2009/2010 had to do the same thing again with a new bullet button AR and AK-74. Like damn ground hog day. Glad I live out in town now, PITA. But the weapons you register do stay in the system, was getting decals up here at 29 palms and the PMO desk person was like "looks like your a gun nut", the records stay in the system regardless of which base you are at.

Mag Limiters for Glock 17, Sig 2022 9mm
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1232751
Old 12-04-2012, 9:45 AM

NOONANDA,

I transferred from 29 Palms, and they use the same system over there as they do in Camp Pendleton. Its the CLEOC, or Consolidated Law Enforcement Operations Center, which holds a database. They are able to track transactions between Marines and transfers from the bases. I am assuming all MCI West uses this system. I deactivated my weapons in 29, only to drive to Pendleton, where they pulled up my file and just clicked 'reactivate' with my new address on base Camp Pendleton.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Not to judge the Marine Corps' chain of command, but that's exactly why the regs are written as they are.

In the modern military metrics are the lifeblood of Officer life. Entire careers live and die at the whims of Excel spreadsheets, and "Base Accident & Crime Rates" are one of them. If so much as ONE Airman, Marine, Sailor or Soldier ends up dead or injured due to some member-initiated stupidity involving a firearm , it goes into official record that Incident X happened on Commander Y's Watch. Too many criminal incidents involving weapons means no Generals' stars for Commander Y.

Thus the restrictive regulations. Should the lead fly and a military member end up shot, the Wing King can tell his boss "It was out of my hands. The gun wasn't registered." Or "After this incident, I've ordered Security Forces to take Airman So-and-So's guns into police custody".More insidiously, if anyone in your Chain of Command gets "concerned" about your mental state they know exactly where to snag your guns and can order you disarmed by decree.

Honestly, the base gun regs are bad but a manageable hassle. The Lautenberg Amendment is a real b!tch, because if your lady friend civilian or military gets pissy she can end your military career with one phone call to the base Sexual Assault Office. I've heard my friends wife brag about doing just that during an argument I sadly had the 'honor' to witness.
Wow, thanks for the excellent critical thinking!:thumbup: