Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Default 10/30 PMAGS from Rifle Gear

I was at a three gun comp a few weeks ago and tried to do a "Tactical Reload" with my AR using a 10/30 PMAG I purchased from Rifle Gear. The class I shoot is called "Tactical" and it limits all firearm mags to 10 rounds (CA compliant). You can only engage targets once. It's fun, and a little more of a challenge than say "Unlimited" class where you shoot the targets till they go down.

Anyway, I noticed the "modified" mags from Rifle gear will only hold 10 rounds, and then they will not move any more. The travel is so limited you cannot insert the mag with the bolt closed, so NO "Tactical Reloads".

These mags are CA compliant all the way. They have a travel limiter, you cannont take these apart to modify them without some sort of tool. Rifle Gear did a nice job making these things.

I am a gearhead so most of the time I cannot leave anything alone. So yesterday I took apart one of these mags to see how they modified it. I also wanted to see if I could make it take only 10 rounds and still allow the bolt to close or insert the mag when the bolt was closed.

It can be done, but after recieving an e-mail from Rifle Gear, I have decided to remove the information from this post. My apologies to Rifle Gear for the grief I caused from this post.

Last edited by finyllw; 08-13-2012 at 3:44 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 3:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Due to liability reasons we err on the side of making a magazine that cannot allow an 11th round to be forced in. If you make this mod please be aware that it would void the warranty and you need to be very careful that you do not remove too much material. There is a very, very small margin of error between a magazine that inserts easily on a closed bolt, and one that you can force an 11th round into.

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM

i opened mine.. saw the riflegear logo.. and was like wow... thats legit lol
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't mess with a factory modded magazine.

I had that same problem with a factory magpul limiter for a 10/20 magpul.

Turns out that if you shave off JUST A HAIR (about 1mm) of the factory limiter, you can get it to seat properly with a closed bolt. If you take off too much, you just created a high capacity magazine, and enjoy your felony.

It's best to do this kind of gunsmithing/testing in Arizona, Nevada, or some other place where a screwup won't land you in the hoosegow. And make DAMN SURE you test for that 11th round before you bring them back in-state.

This is a legitimate problem of not being able to insert a mag with a closed bolt.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM

The first and most important thing I did was check for that pesky 11th round problem. I had to shave more than 1mm off the limiter, but it was possible to do, and still make it so there was no way to get one more round in without damaging the mag. And it would go right into the lower without having to bang it in.

I'm sure when Rifle Gear made the limiter they were very concerned about that 11th round and if there was a tolerance error, it would prevent their customers from getting into any form of trouble. Kudos to Rifle Gear.

In the e-mail I received from them, they suggested that making any changes to their limiter would be very expensive, so I'm sure it would take a significant amount of customer contact to get them to actually make the mod. They haven't totally dismissed the idea, it just sounds like it not going to happen soon. I guess I will have to wait for them to do it, or keep buying their stuff and modifying it, or make my own.
Old 08-15-2012, 9:46 AM

I had a problem with one of the more recent purchases of 10/30 pmag( I own 2 other from Riflegear), not being able to rack it with the bolt closed with it loaded with ten rounds, took it back to Riflegear and they replaced it with a new one! I should have checked it while @ the store, unfortunately I found out at the range a few days later that I am having the same problem again! looks like I am going to have to make another trip to the store and try and resolve the problem. The guys were great and the customer service also, that is why I spend my money there but another trip,time and gas money is a little hard to swallow. I am sure they will replace it and I will have them check it before leaving the store. This isn't a complaint about Riflegear, just a heads up for you folks that plan on buying any 10/30 pmags.
Tactical 3 Gun
Auto/Slide Gun

~I feed on the fear of the devil inside of the enemy faces in my sights, aim with the hand, shoot with the mind, kill with the heart like artic ice~ The Warrior Song
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM

I have three 10/30 mags from Riflegear as well and I noticed this problem. Noob question, but is there any damages to the gun if you load without the bolt being closed? It seems to be just a minor annoyance, but I was wondering if doing so is harming the gun. I got one pmag from Ammo Bros and it works fine with the bolt closed.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Shouldn't harm the gun. It was made to load that way. That's why there's an open bolt catch/bolt release. It's just a pain if you want to do a tactical reload, or want a full mag in a gun without a round being chambered (a condition some people like for a home defense weapon).