Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-27-2015, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default .22 lr ammo availability improving?

I've been out of the ammo buying game for quite a while, and was wondering how things look in terms of .22 lr availability compared to a year ago. Are things getting better or worse?
Old 05-27-2015, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Better. Slightly.

Old 05-27-2015, 7:37 PM

gunbot.net LAX ammo is pretty good.
Old 05-27-2015, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

this has been available for about a week now. It costly but better then most at this price. I'd be happy if I could find shorts at this price. Its scary how much they want for 22 short

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...box-50035.html

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 05-27-2015, 8:24 PM

I wonder about the long term effect a 22lr shortage will have on the gun community. I think that we may see the real effects when fewer and fewer families and younger people take up the sport. Ultimately it may even affect political outcomes in the long term.
Old 05-27-2015, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

It is readily available online. The price is around 11-15 cents delivered

Most retailers have either raised the price to a crazy level or the flippers snatch it up
Old 05-27-2015, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Avalible if you look, but not as a second job like before.

EVERYWHERE if you want to over pay.

Just went to 3 gun store this week and say several boxes of 22 for $0.08, not moving.. Glad to see people finally getting a back bone.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 05-27-2015, 8:32 PM

Getting much better. I've scored several 525 Remington Golden Bullet boxes for $30. It's more than I used to pay $24 - $26. So it is becoming avail. Horders and pimpers still suck trying to turn a margin. See it, gotta buy it.
Old 05-27-2015, 8:38 PM

Found these today

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2015, 8:59 PM

I just received 2k rounds of CCI MiniMag HV RN from Gander Mountain today that I ordered last Wednesday morning. Free shipping, no tax, $7.99 / 100 round sleeve, so cheaper than Walmart prices.
Old 05-27-2015, 9:13 PM

2K? How did you manage to order that many, that's like 20 100rd boxes. Didn't they have any box limit?
Old 05-27-2015, 9:15 PM

by the way, I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced 22lr for over 1.5 years now. Even when they're available, the price is just too much and store most times have a one box purchase limit for bulk pack or 3 box limit for smaller packs.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I've got a few pallets of S&B .22LR enroute to us, $69 delivered per 500 rds, no limit on quantity you can order, keep your eye on this link the next week or so, or just sign up for our mailing list an email will go out when its back in

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Sellie.../sb22-case.htm

Warehouse open to LE/MIL Only
3515 W Post Rd, Ste 125
Las Vegas, NV 89118
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click here View Post
I wonder about the long term effect a 22lr shortage will have on the gun community. I think that we may see the real effects when fewer and fewer families and younger people take up the sport. Ultimately it may even affect political outcomes in the long term.
Fewer take up the sport, what? RECORD gun sales have been recorded by states, counties & the gool ol' USA in recent years. 2008 & 2012 are good examples of this. Many of those first time buyers have likely bought .22's! I've seen more "real effects" in the last 8 years vs. my last 30 plus shooting.

Political "outcomes" will affect ammo, not the other way around.

As far as availability, it's out there but the market's sketchy.
Old 05-28-2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
I've got a few pallets of S&B .22LR enroute to us, $69 delivered per 500 rds, no limit on quantity you can order, keep your eye on this link the next week or so, or just sign up for our mailing list an email will go out when its back in
At that price, 14cent/rd you can keep it. I am buying real ammo (CCI) for
10cents shipped to my door. No real limit.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occams Rasor View Post
Yeah, CCI is the only ammo I will even consider paying a little over retail for.

And that I buy at around 40.00 a brick of 500. Great ammo.

I would pay less than 25.00 a brick for lesser quality ammo such as S&B, if I really needed some.

But then again I have never been out of 22 ammo for over 20 years

I watch Brassbager and get it at Walmart, I pass on it every week or so and buy a little about every two weeks there just too resupply what we shoot up..All they had today was shotshell CCI though.

Last edited by AR22; 05-28-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-31-2015, 7:06 PM

I love Gander's free shipping specials. And thanks to a tip I got here on Calguns, I got enough CCI for a few trips to the range! $7.99 per 100 ct. sleeve, free shipping, no tax. The ammo situation is finally improving.

Gander has a 5 box limit, but the system sometimes allows you to make a couple orders without cancelling or backordering. YMMV. Usually isn't cost effective to do so, but when there's a shipping deal going on it's a different story.
Old 05-31-2015, 7:48 PM

Orange County gun show had a butt load of 22lr. I gave $46 for 500rds of Hi-Val copper clad HP.
Old 05-31-2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post

Just went to 3 gun store this week and say several boxes of 22 for $0.08, not moving.. Glad to see people finally getting a back bone.
This makes me very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
I watch Brassbager and get it at Walmart, I pass on it every week or so and buy a little about every two weeks there just too resupply what we shoot up..All they had today was shotshell CCI though.
Maybe I'm slow or maybe I'm really slow, but I can't seem to get brassbadger to work properly for me... That and I don't really have interest in waiting outside of walmart from 4-5AM until 8AM for a few boxes of 22 when I still have a decent amount left.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinofsleep View Post
This makes me very happy.

Maybe I'm slow or maybe I'm really slow, but I can't seem to get brassbadger to work properly for me... That and I don't really have interest in waiting outside of walmart from 4-5AM until 8AM for a few boxes of 22 when I still have a decent amount left.
Brassbadger is only and indication that the truck offloaded the ammo at the store, but won't tell you when it will be restocked. In general, there are three restocking patterns I've seen, depending on the store. Evening, night (after selling hours), and random; and a couple patterns for selling ammo. 24 hour stores sell ammo starting at 7:00 or 8:00 and stop at 10:00. Non-24 hours stores start at 7:00 or 8:00 and sell ammo until closing (11:00 or 12:00). If you don't want to go early or late, then look for a store with a random restocking pattern and pop in once in a while during the day and you may get lucky. If Brassbadger shows a store that has ammo in stock (green) for more than a half day or so, chances are it's a store that restocks randomly.

These are just observations and info I've gathered by being friendly and courteous with the employees, and talking to other customers. Might be different in other parts of California or the U.S. Generally, if you want ammo, and know the restocking pattern, and are willing to go at the right time, then you can get it. I don't do it often, but if I have a Walmart list (my wife buys laundry stuff there), and one of my buddies does too, AND the timing is right, then we do an ammo run, mostly with success. At least that way we can BS about stuff while waiting. I never wait 3 or 4 hours like you mentioned; the most I've ever waited was an hour and a half, and usually more like 45 minutes to an hour, sometimes less.

Oh ya, and there are some general etiquette rules for people waiting for ammo and for talking to the employees. Everyone is usually pretty friendly.
Old 06-01-2015, 3:29 AM

At my Walmart I do not have to wait long. They only start selling it at 9:00AM. No exceptions. Usually the same 7 or 8 people and their wives in line when it comes in.

They have 1 box limits on 100 round and bulk packs and 3 limit on 50 round boxes.

If my Brassbadger says it is in, it is usually right. It even tells me the exact time the ammo came into the store. It is wrong about maybe 10% of the time however.

They have Winchester 222 this morning, but I will likely skip it..

Last edited by AR22; 06-01-2015 at 3:31 AM..
Old 06-01-2015, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

can be found, but still sells out. at least its not in seconds anymore.....
Old 06-01-2015, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawHP View Post
Oh ya, and there are some general etiquette rules for people waiting for ammo and for talking to the employees. Everyone is usually pretty friendly.
What rules?
Old 06-01-2015, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The local Wallyworld sporting goods saleman says the same, fat, grey, old, goat-teed guys wait outside every morning, rush the table and buy up all the .22LR before the welfare queens have gotten their shopping carts out of the rack.

I haven't bought any .22LR in a year and a half.
Old 06-01-2015, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occams Rasor View Post
The S&B is more like 16 or 17 cents/round with tax. That price approaches the 20 cents per round I can order Lapua Center-X for. I am glad for the miracle match ammo didn't rise in price like commercial grade stuff. If it had, I'd be paying $0.50 to a dollar a round and UP to shoot BR anymore.
Old 06-01-2015, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
What rules?
Some have a line that always starts somewhere either near the register or by the ammo case. Stuff like no holding places, leave and you lose your spot, etc. The normal kind of stuff when there is a line/order involved. The workers also have to follow the rules of that the manager may have, sometimes the ammo comes out last, after all other restocking pallets of merchandise are on the floor. Stuff like "I was here earlier and decided to shop for a while" usually doesn't fly, and the people who know the rules will correct that.
Old 06-01-2015, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
The local Wallyworld sporting goods saleman says the same, fat, grey, old, goat-teed guys wait outside every morning, rush the table and buy up all the .22LR before the welfare queens have gotten their shopping carts out of the rack.

I haven't bought any .22LR in a year and a half.
I've never done the early morning thing, but I have popped in later in the morning and gotten the leftover brick or two. I've gone to some of the random stocking stores and found a shelf full of bricks, and the clerks usually say stuff like "I put that out 5 hours ago at the beginning of my shift, and you're the first one that spotted it on the shelf."
Old 06-01-2015, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

No change at all where I live. The same non- working types and there future prisoner children in line at 6 AM buying out each store. Price hasn't changed but they turn around a d post it online for $50 and make $30 a pack.
The moderators here could police the private ammo sales forum but all they do is change user name and come right back.
They are the same people you see at work running to the cafeteria when they announce free food.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 06-01-2015, 9:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We got it in stock! And to answer your questions, the S&B is higher quality than the plinking CCI that your buying for $35. The CCI that sells for $79 is more on par with the S&B. This is 38grain high velocity hollow point ammo for varmint hunting

500 rounds = $69 delivered

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Sellie.../sb22-case.htm

Warehouse open to LE/MIL Only
3515 W Post Rd, Ste 125
Las Vegas, NV 89118
Old 06-01-2015, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
No change at all where I live. The same non- working types and there future prisoner children in line at 6 AM buying out each store. Price hasn't changed but they turn around a d post it online for $50 and make $30 a pack.
The moderators here could police the private ammo sales forum but all they do is change user name and come right back.
They are the same people you see at work running to the cafeteria when they announce free food.
Although I have a hard time finding 22 ammo I would not resort to calling people and labeling them such things. If you really want 22 you can find them pop up every now and then from various online retailers. I got 2 boxes from cabelas just a couple months ago.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalpias View Post
Although I have a hard time finding 22 ammo I would not resort to calling people and labeling them such things. If you really want 22 you can find them pop up every now and then from various online retailers. I got 2 boxes from cabelas just a couple months ago.
Ya, all of the guys I've met have been friendly. We usually talk about guns, shooting, shooting with the kids, etc. A lot of time they're ex-military in the places I go. Same with the workers. You get to know them by name and some stuff about their families and stuff. Then again, I've always been comfortable shooting the breeze with a diverse group of people, but at least we have a few common threads.

I don't care if they're reselling it or not. It's a free country and a lot of times they may be part of the reason it's free. It's not like they're getting rich off of it. People do what they can to get by.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Here is a good and extensive testing on .22 ammo. I am only showing the results. If you want the whole website I can post a link to it.

CCI ranks pretty good in the tests. The SV CCI is at around 40.00 a brick and really is only beaten out by actual Target Grade stuff.

There are other websites too, that always show the CCI SV fairs very good.

If you take the time to sit down and measure CCI SV rim thickness and sort it by weight,it would actually fair much better in testing.

50-Yard Results
0.162 Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS
0.164 Lapua Midas Plus
0.177 Lapua Polar Biathlon
0.187 Eley Match EPS
0.193 Eley Match
0.203 Lapua Midas M
0.215 Lapua Center X
0.216 Western Value Pack
0.229 Lapua Signum
0.241 Lapua Master L
0.243 Eley Pistol Match
0.256 Olin Ball
0.256 Akah X-Zone
0.261 Lapua Midas L
0.261 Lapua Master M
0.263 Eley Tenex Semi Auto
0.270 Lapua Super Club
0.272 Eley Tenex
0.303 Lapua Standard Plus
0.312 CCI Standard Velocity
0.319 RWS R 50
0.319 Eley Standard
0.328 SK High Velocity
0.339 Eley Club Xtra
0.340 Winchester T22
0.356 Federal Champion
0.362 Eley Subsonic HP
0.371 CCI Mini Mag
0.376 Federal American Eagle
0.377 Norinco Target
0.380 Sellier & Bellot Club
0.384 Eley Club
0.387 Eley Sport
0.388 Totem
0.392 Swartklip Match Trainer
0.398 Federal Gold Medal
0.403 Swartklip HV
0.409 Eley Match Xtra Plus
0.424 Sellier & Bellot Std
0.443 Remington Target
0.461 Lapua Crow HP
0.475 Eley Silhouex
0.479 Magtech
0.498 Eley High Velocity

Last edited by AR22; 06-01-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Old 06-01-2015, 3:10 PM
Banned

Will you people please get another hobby? I mean the hobby of constantly seeking out ammo and buying up as much as you are allowed to.

You like going to stores and waiting until they open? Get creative and start another artificial shortage for some other type of consumable item. Golf or tennis balls, how about ping pong balls? Maybe edibles? I dunno think of something else to get all excited about and feel like you are winning by having something others want.

Sorry, but I will laugh at you if the market finally becomes glutted and 22lr drops to 5 cents or less per round with availability everywhere. I'm sure you old salts will just be ornery and hang on to your cache of ammo till you die anyway. But the game will be over and you flippers will be DONE. Good riddance.

Sick of this artificial shortage. Get another hobby.
Old 06-01-2015, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandTaipan View Post
Sorry, but I will laugh at you if the market finally becomes glutted and 22lr drops to 5 cents or less per round with availability everywhere.
Luckily all the ammo I buy now for casual plinking averages 5 cent or less a little more for smaller bulk packs, a little less for large). For more serious plinking, like MiniMags, it's more like 7-8 cents, like it has been for the last several years. Ammo in my cache is more on the order of 1.5-2 cents, which I've been using on and off while ammo is scarce.

I've sold some ammo here on Calguns, but everything I've sold has been at cost, which includes shipping if I bought it online, or gas and bridge toll if I bought it locally. My kids think I'm crazy to sell it at cost, but to me it's basically money in the bank, and selling it is just like making a withdrawal. I've usually sold it to buy better ammo (target and match).

Buying ammo today is a pain, but not more trouble than it's worth. It's not a hobby, but a necessity to support a hobby. Just invest steadily over time, buy more when it's cheap and less when it isn't, and you'll never have to worry about shortages. Dollar cost averaging is a proven technique to insulate you from market swings.

If you're hurting for ammo, PM me and come to the Richmond range one weekend. I can sell you a 333 bulk pack of Winchester at the Walmart price. That would be about $19 ($17.37 plus tax).
Old 06-01-2015, 6:18 PM
Banned

Wow. You are a nice guy RawHP. I appreciate the offer. I'm not hurting for ammo in the sense that I just shoot less often than I probably would if 22lr was cheaper. I got back into the sport not long ago and only recently acquired a 22lr pistol. I'm just shoot for fun and can't justify spending for better grade target/match ammo.

Great advice on dollar cost averaging. I'm just frustrated because the market is all out of whack for a commodity item that would normally sell for a few cents a round. The demand side of the equation is pumped up due to all the factors that I think most of us know about at this point. Which includes this crazy 3rd/4th tier of middleman. People buy up the low priced ammo at big box retailers and the online equivalents and then flip the stuff for profit or just because they have gotten into the habit of doing it! And then a bunch of frustrated and likely time deprived people buy the stuff off the classifieds.

I am amazed that big box retailers aren't pricing the cheap stuff at levels that allow them to keep inventory. The whole supply chain is a classic example of how markets are fundamentally wacky regardless of how "free" they are.

I personally drive a lot for my work commute and to be with my little girl who is 300 miles away so for me finding retail outlets that might have ammo in stock for low prices (big box stores) is out. Plus it seems that there aren't many options in the East Bay for that.

The most convenient way for me to get ammo is just to buy it online. Gunbot and ammoseek, signing up for "email me when it gets in stock" at Natchez and checking Gandermountain and Cabela's is what I have been doing. But it ends up eating up a bunch of time. Just wish I could have the freedommunitions/LAX ammo shopping/value experience with 22lr.

So I pay my 10-12 cents a round and remember the days of my youth...

Again, your offer is very kind. My schedule is erratic and Richmond is a ways away from me so I won't be able to take you up on the offer. Thanks for hearing my spleen venting my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawHP View Post
Luckily all the ammo I buy now for casual plinking averages 5 cent or less a little more for smaller bulk packs, a little less for large). For more serious plinking, like MiniMags, it's more like 7-8 cents, like it has been for the last several years. Ammo in my cache is more on the order of 1.5-2 cents, which I've been using on and off while ammo is scarce.

I've sold some ammo here on Calguns, but everything I've sold has been at cost, which includes shipping if I bought it online, or gas and bridge toll if I bought it locally. My kids think I'm crazy to sell it at cost, but to me it's basically money in the bank, and selling it is just like making a withdrawal. I've usually sold it to buy better ammo (target and match).

Buying ammo today is a pain, but not more trouble than it's worth. It's not a hobby, but a necessity to support a hobby. Just invest steadily over time, buy more when it's cheap and less when it isn't, and you'll never have to worry about shortages. Dollar cost averaging is a proven technique to insulate you from market swings.

If you're hurting for ammo, PM me and come to the Richmond range one weekend. I can sell you a 333 bulk pack of Winchester at the Walmart price. That would be about $19 ($17.37 plus tax).
Old 06-01-2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:

Again, your offer is very kind. My schedule is erratic and Richmond is a ways away from me so I won't be able to take you up on the offer. Thanks for hearing my spleen venting my friend.
Well my offer stands if you're ever in the area. Personally, what's going on anytime there is a shortage of ammo, primers, powder, etc. is really a reaction, triggered by something someone says in the White House or Governor's office, etc., and then fueled by rumors and fear. Once that happens, you will always have people looking at these situations as opportunities. Human nature. People make money in a bull or bear market the same way. I'll accept that fact, but my dismay and ire are focused at the root cause; those people triggering the reaction. If they can get us to fight among ourselves, then they win.
Old 06-01-2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Get creative and start another artificial shortage for some other type of consumable item.

I tried this when the Hostess returned with the Twinkies. I heard that only Wal-Mart was going to carry them. Every morning on the way to work I would stop by my local wally world and check the stock of twinkies. Finally they came in, I bought them all. Everyday for a month straight I would buy up every box of twinkies I could find. I would even stop by other wal-marts that were out of my way and buy all they had. Finally when I had a good stash of over 10,000 twinkies I became complacent. Now I will only buy the higher quality banana flavored twinkies. I am getting overstocked at this point and I am thinking of changing to either Zingers or Ho-Hos. Anybody know of a good gym around east contra costa county? I might have put on a few extra pounds for some reason....
Old 06-01-2015, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
If people are dumb enough to pay $50.00 what can be said.
Old 06-01-2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
by the way, I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced 22lr for over 1.5 years now. Even when they're available, the price is just too much and store most times have a one box purchase limit for bulk pack or 3 box limit for smaller packs.
You're not looking hard enough. I bought 3 boxes of federal auto match for 16.99 a box about 3 weeks ago.
Old 06-01-2015, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalpias View Post
Cabelas doesn't sellsell 22 ammo to California last time I tried to order.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!