Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-09-2017, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown: General Q's

Just have a few questions for you owners of the Ruger 10/22 TakeDown model.

Looking to add the 10/22 Takedown model into my collection. I currently own a standard 10/22 as well as a Marlin 795. With so many models to choose from, what persuaded you in selecting the model that you chose? Also any issues or concerns about the weapon?

I was surfing the GalleyOfGuns website and saw this model (#21135). It is listed as having a 0.920 barrel and doesn't look like it in the picture.
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...spx?item=21135

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 07-09-2017, 2:54 PM

My daughter has the takedown in stainless with pink laminate stock. First thing she did was to buy the upgrade trigger pack that Ruger makes, and then add a decent sling and low-profile optic. The laminated stock seems so much more sturdy than the black plastic stock, so the choice was easy.
The T.D. Versions of the 10-22 are really good for a car kit; everything easily goes into the handy included park. Accuracy after removing and replacing the barrel section has been very good in our trials.
Why did she like the pink stock?....It matches the pink grips on her Ruger SR-1911.
Old 07-09-2017, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
My daughter has the takedown in stainless with pink laminate stock. First thing she did was to buy the upgrade trigger pack that Ruger makes, and then add a decent sling and low-profile optic. The laminated stock seems so much more sturdy than the black plastic stock, so the choice was easy.
The T.D. Versions of the 10-22 are really good for a car kit; everything easily goes into the handy included park. Accuracy after removing and replacing the barrel section has been very good in our trials.
Why did she like the pink stock?....It matches the pink grips on her Ruger SR-1911.
Thank you for sharing your input. Did you just replace the factory barrel or you were referring to the forearm?

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters

shuttlecock
Old 07-09-2017, 3:10 PM

# 21135 certainly does not appear to have a .920" barrel; going to the Ruger website suggests that diameter is on other models.
GoG has made more than a few errors in some descriptions over the years.
Old 07-09-2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Thank you for sharing your input. Did you just replace the factory barrel or you were referring to the forearm?
Referring to removing & replacing the whole assembly as it was designed; barrel, forearm, and stock are factory. When you go to take it down, there is a small steel lever recessed in the forearm just forward of the magazine well; pull back on the lever while turning the forearm a small amount, and the whole section comes off the receiver. The two halves of the stock/forearm are separate, it is truly that easy. And very sturdy.
The only thing we actually changed was the upgrade trigger pack. That took all of one minute, literally. The rest we added such as the optic and sling.
It's a great little .22; I'll likely get a few more.
Old 07-09-2017, 8:31 PM

I have 10/22's with the bull barrel and with the standard pencil barrel.
No difference in accuracy for me. My takedown rifle is a pencil barrel ss with a houge thumbhole stock and the trigger was done by brimstone, 3,5 lbs
I personally think having someone like brimstone modifying your stock trigger is a better way
Old 07-09-2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1 View Post
I have 10/22's with the bull barrel and with the standard pencil barrel.
No difference in accuracy for me. My takedown rifle is a pencil barrel ss with a houge thumbhole stock and the trigger was done by brimstone, 3,5 lbs
I personally think having someone like brimstone modifying your stock trigger is a better way
What was the price, including shipping, ins, etc. to have that trigger work done?
Old 07-09-2017, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

I bought the standard take down. Great little rifle and accurate. Will be looking to add a BX trigger to it.
I would love to buy the suppressed barrel for it but that is not going to happen here in CA.
The light "heavy barrel" take down is cool. As for other options I think I will purchase a Magpul stock for it and a scope. I am thinking of a second one so both my boys will have one when they get older.
I am into my third 10/22 and I like them a lot though the M&P 15/22 is another favorite.
I have a Power Custom Trigger on my heavy barrel. Very nice but a little too light. If I were to buy a custom type trigger I would buy a Kidd trigger. The bx is fine and under at about $85 is near the limit I will spend on a decent trigger on a 10/22.
Old 07-10-2017, 6:42 AM

One of the benefits of having multiple .22's that use the same magazines is evident when a group of shooters can simply reach into our "bucket 'o mags" and keep the swingers moving all afternoon. It's also great for the days we are doing squirrel patrol, as our pastures are literally crawling with those pesky varmints. A suppressed 10-22 would be ideal for that, but as stated above I too don't see that happening here any time soon.
Old 07-10-2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
With so many models to choose from, what persuaded you in selecting the model that you chose?
I had the 10/22 carbine also, I bought TD because:
- It an impulse buy, because I like the way the rifle "cut ?" to a half and put it back in second.
- The TD model come with the manufacture Ruger bag, I like the bag.
- I had the 10/22 carbine so I knew how good the Ruger rifle is.

Quote:
Also any issues or concerns about the weapon?
Do you have any issues with your 10/22 carbine ? The performance TD is exact the same as the 10/22 carbine.

The issues I have are:
- If I knew the 10/22 TD model also comes with laminate wood model then I bought the laminate wood model instead of the polymer model.
- When select the scope to TD model , the selection will narrow down to a maximum 7"-8" length COMPACT scope so it can fit the bag.
Old 07-10-2017, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about the TD model. Good info to consider. Accuracy seems to be negligible between a stock pencil barrel and their heavy barrel. Just seems adding the heavy barrel, you lose the main concept behind the TD model: lightweight, backpacking, bugout gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
Do you have any issues with your 10/22 carbine ? The performance TD is exact the same as the 10/22 carbine.
The only gripe I have with my plain Jane carbine with a wooden stock is the cheek weld with the BSA Sweet scope on it. Raised the comb with a homemade cheek rest (leftover foam and athletic tape) and problem solved. The models that come with the modular stock (higher comb) is a big plus!

shuttlecock
Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
With so many models to choose from, what persuaded you in selecting the model that you chose? Also any issues or concerns about the weapon?
I wanted a rifle that could be easily carried in the trunk of a Mazda Miata. The Takedown was the right choice. Added a UTG Bugbuster scope (3-9x32mm with AO) which has perfect height and eye relief for me and doesn't need to be removed when rifle is stored in its bag.