Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-21-2016, 6:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default AR caliber conversion vs. Dedicated Upper vs. Marlin 795

Need a 22LR as a practice gun for
1) High Power
2) Shooting off Vickers Barricades / PRS style weird positions
3) Blasting / Chris Costa + Tactical Roll stuff

I'm left handed, so that limits me on bolt action choices. Accuracy is important, but as long as it is accurate to 25yds, I can scale my targets accordingly. My eyes can only see about 4MOA targets on irons anyway.

How is the accuracy on CMMG 22LR conversions? I would like the use the same scope and setup as my centerfire. I'm not too concerned about fouling as I can run a patch every 100rds, and run a few 556 at the end of the session to blow out crap in the gas tube.

A dedicated 22LR upper is going to run me ~$600, even if I build it myself. So I'm hesitant to go this route.

I hear a lot of good things about Marlin 795, and the price is right. I'm sure I can find something used too. Adding tech sights for rear aperture is DIY-able? Will a bolt action out shoot it?
Old 11-21-2016, 7:47 AM

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=24582

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

+ mountain of S&W M&P 15-22 magazines. It will function just like a normal AR-15 with bolt hold open and everything.

That is my current set up that I run with a burris fast fire, but it can be set up just like any AR that you want. It has pretty much eaten anything that i have run through it, Rem GB, fed Auto match, CCI, Aguila, ect.... It is an easy clean when needed but i can go shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 usually with no issues.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:09 AM

I have been using the CMMG 22LR Conversion Kit on my AR's for about a year now and it works great. Accuracy is pretty good and works well with almost all ammo I have ran through it. You can pick one up for $185 with 3 10 round mags, Its great if not looking to spend too much for a dedicated upper.

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=27880
Old 11-21-2016, 6:42 PM

buy once cry once

dedicated build is the best choice.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 PM
CGSSA Leader

I've seen a large percentage of CMMG conversions go down at Appleseed. Usually with magazine issues of one sort or another. Don't know enough about them to tell whether it's the design or the loose nuts behind the trigger.

If you want to play Costa you probably want a dedicated upper.

However I will add that there is almost no good reason not to have a 795 or similar rifle in your collection. Properly set up, costs about the same as five bricks of decent quality ammo.

Adding Tech Sights can be done in the passenger seat while driving to the range... it's trivial. A bolt gun will outshoot a 795, but only with primo ammunition, and only if you're good enough to see the difference. Out of the box a 795 will hold 2 MOA or better unless you're feeding it garbage.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 PM

If you're interested in a Marlin 795 with Tech Sights (and in San Diego) I have one for sell for $220 (comes with other stuff as well). I can knock it down to $200.
Old 11-22-2016, 6:17 AM
Veteran Member

Any experience with Anschutz RX22? CDNN has them for $350.

Barrel and receiver made by Anschutz and they don't turn out crap.
Old 11-22-2016, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

I use a Ciener conversion and accuracy is excellent but I have had feeding issues with any magazine I use. I've never fired past 25 yards but accuracy is superb. It's used in a 10 pound match A2 so perhaps the steadiness of a heavy rifle, a sling, and the sights are helping out. No bolt hold open so that's why the occasional double feed is a little annoying.
Old 11-22-2016, 6:03 PM

I made a dedicated upper using a Beyer barrel, cmmg conversion with taccom upgrades. It's extremely accurate, will run right with my .22 bolt guns. Reliability is also better than any semi 22 I've had, with the one exception being Remington thunderbolts. The barrel has a match chamber so that crap ammo doesn't always play nice. That set up makes it hard to miss, I highly recommend Byers bbls , he does 10/22 stuff too
Old 11-22-2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Any experience with Anschutz RX22? CDNN has them for $350.

Barrel and receiver made by Anschutz and they don't turn out crap.
I had heard a while back they were hit or miss on reliability. Article here in Shooting Times says they were built for Anschutz by someone else....
http://www.shootingtimes.com/reviews...r-rx22-review/

As for AR15 conversion, I've had a Ceiner kit for years that is pretty reliable with most ammo. Best reliability and accuracy is CCI Mini Mag, but equally reliable with Winchester Xpert and Federal Auto Match. Even Aguila standard. Didn't do well on Remington yellowjackets or thundersomethings.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 11-22-2016 at 8:14 PM..
Old 11-23-2016, 1:11 AM

Not an AR, but a SIG 522 will do everything you are looking for.
Old 11-23-2016, 1:17 AM

CMMG conversion works great.

The only issue I've had is with the magazine. If I prop the AR by using the magazine, I'll get either FTE or FTF. I don't have another magazine to test, but I'm guessing it's the mag.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2016, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I use a couple of $140 Ceiner conversion bolts, one lives in a 1/9 twist AR upper. It's a rather accurate upper for .22LR, better than any others I have. Federal Auto match gets about 2~3 moa at 100 yards, not too bad for a AR-15.

It's an easy cleanup too.
Old 11-23-2016, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting, I have a 1/8 poly rifled barrel. And since I'm practicing unstable position shooting rather than prone bipod, placing everything in one hole at 100yds isn't my requirement. Sounds like I can try CMMG conversion bolt in my centerfire, and if accuracy blows, I'll just build an upper around it. All my 22 ammo are 40gr. I have some Federal auto match.

Are all AR 22 barrels made with same extension? So any bolt will match up with any barrel?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Dedicated will always cost more. I have a tactical solutions upper on a ar lower. Its very fun but I have never tried checking accuracy. Mostly plinking on iron targets. I have iron sights on it. My only complaint is the cost 600+for the upper and it doesn't like Winchester super x ammo. Operations manual states to not use that ammo. Wish I knew this prior to buying it. I got rid of most of my super x ammo.

I don't like the mnp15 22 because it feels cheap and doesn't cross over parts wise to an standard ar.
Old 11-24-2016, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

My Ceiner loves super X and just about anything else super sonic I load into it. I did do a bit of work on them. I took them apart and polished the rails and the feed ramps. I also polished the bore with a power drill and brass brush. I use Slip 2000 EWL to lube it.

Aguila super maximum at 1750 fps really shoots great.
Old 11-24-2016, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

I bought a CMMG dedicated upper after buying the conversion kit. At 50 yards or less, there's no appreciable difference in accuracy. The dedicated upper runs better. With either unit, you'll probably want one of these Taccom plugs. Solved some function problems.

http://www.taccom3g.com/22rf-insert-pressure-plug.html

Don't bother with the CMMG BHOD. Waste of money. Get S&W MP15-22 magazines instead. Works with a standard bolt catch.

With my dedicated upper, I use a regular mag catch. No BB.

Here are pics of my dedicated upper build. I was trying to emulate a USAF GAU-5A/A used by the Son Tay Raiders. The lower, butstock, and pistol grip are vintage. The lower is a Palmetto Armory (not Palmetto State Armory) BH 15A1 made by SCW, the precursor to Olympia Arms. You'll notice the fence is missing on the magwell as well as the reinforced/built up area for the buttstock tube. It was supposed to be on the named lower ban list, but was omitted. The barrel mimics the shorter barrel of the GAU but is actually 16" because the dedicated .22 unit extends farther back into the receiver than a 5.56. I even managed to find an Armson Pointsight (wrong vintage), but like the Raiders, I don't have a way to mount it. They used black electrical tape.

There are still some inconsistencies I need to fix but that will come in time. Here's a link with some brief history about the Raiders. Anniversary was 21 November, 46 years ago. https://tacairnet.com/2014/12/06/suc...-son-tay-raid/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gau.jpg (84.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg gau no fence.jpg (87.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg gau muzzle.jpg (81.9 KB, 7 views)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by brassburnz; 11-24-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-24-2016, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

You'll get millions of answers on this one. Lots of personal preferences and I'll share mine.

I have no experience with the Marlin.

I have a S&W M15-22, dedicated Tactical Solutions upper and dedicated taccom upper.

I like them all and their controls mimic those of an AR pattern rifle.

The M&P 15-22 runs well and is reasonably accurate. It's really light because of the use of plastic in the receiver and the rail. Mine is 10 years old or so and runs very well. a very rare misfeed and that goes with all ammo.

The Tacsol upper has more weight to it as it has a seekins rail and normal receivers. It runs well after the first 100 rounds or so. I shoot almost excusively automatch which has variable reliablility and it works really well. Don't think I've ever had a failure with CCI.

The Taccom is an SBR upper and has run perfect since I bought it. I only have a few hundred rounds through it though.

The bolts on the 3 are different. the TacSol is a proprietary bolt which looks like a modified 10/22 bolt. The bolt on the taccom as a coy of the ceiner bolt but might be better quality. I haven't pulled the M&P apart in a while, but I think its similar to a ceiner bolt, but not identifcal.

As for accuracy, they are all reasonably accurate. I believe the tacsol is more accurate than the M&P.

I don't like having to swap stuff around so I have all complete rifles. Just a personal preference, but it does cost more.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 11-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

So Taccom bolt > Cmmg bolt? Price difference is negligible.

As for mags, what about Blackdog? Better or worse than MP15-22 mags?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 AM

I think the bolts themselves are the same, but taccom has a few parts that are better than the cmmg/cenier in my opinion, such as the firing pin. I run black dog mags with no issues, but some people like the s&w mags because they allow for regular bolt catch operation if you use the adapter for them. The blackdogs only hold the bolt if they're IN the gun, and the catch doesn't function like a normal ar. If you're after reload and malfunation clearing practice, I'd probably go with the sw mag setup. As it is I only have 2 blackdogs mags, so I'm considering switching over since the mp mags are so readily available and allow LRBHO
Old 11-24-2016, 10:28 AM

The DPMS 22lr upper is pretty rad, but it costs a little over 400$ just for the upper assembly.

The best I could eek out at 50 yards was about 2.5 inches with a red dot. It's probably more accurate than that, but I haven't put a scope on it.

Have had very few jams and really enjoy shooting it.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM

Default DPMS dedicated upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclusin View Post
The DPMS 22lr upper is pretty rad, but it costs a little over 400$ just for the upper assembly.

Have had very few jams and really enjoy shooting it.

I have the DPMS heavy barreled dedicated upper too. Comes with
the 10 round Black Dog magazine. I bought it on a Black Friday sale two
years ago (?) for $300. Using the Federal Automatch & CCI Blazer Ammo,
I can't recall any failures of any type to be honest. Granted it probably doesn't even have 500 rounds through it.

With those two varieties of ammo & an EoTech XPS 2.0 on it, hits on steel out to 100 yards are absolutely no problem for anyone who I've let try it. The lower receiver it's on has the JARD 2# trigger in it. EVERYONE who's
shot it comes away with a big grin on their face.

I'm not an "AR guy", I shoot benchrest with bolt actions but, this thing
is ridiculously fun to shoot.

OP- I'm also left handed.

-Rick

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 11-24-2016 at 12:43 PM..