Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-08-2016, 9:23 AM

Default Red dot for pistol (11mm dovetail )

Hi Friends,

Looking for suggestions for my Sig trailside
The entire top of the slide is a 11mm dovetail
What's a good red dot for this?
Thx
Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger222 View Post
Hi Friends,

Looking for suggestions for my Sig trailside
The entire top of the slide is a 11mm dovetail
What's a good red dot for this?
Thx
Tiger,

I really wish I would have asked this question before going down that rabbit hole with my Trailside. Here is what I did after transitioning from casual range time (200 rounds a month) to Steel Challenge (1k a month).

Quick answer to the above is "none you will like". The 11mm rail is essentially worthless because only chi-com-crap red dots have that mount. I had a BSA 30mm on it originally and hated it, crappy glass and a furry dot. Looks like this:

Don't do this.

Went looking for decent budget RD's and found the Bushnell TRS-25. Do a search here, you'll find an infinite amount of info on this sight. I waited for a sale and picked up one for sub $60 delivered.

Next was how to mount the new sight. There is a frame mounted rail for the pistol that looks pretty well built but it's expensive and makes cleaning the pistol a pain in the arse.

This mount allows you to put the RD pretty much anywhere and might be what your looking for. I shoot mine a LOT and like to keep her pretty clean so this was not an option for me.

The search for mounting options continued and I came upon these UTG Adapters on Amazon for sub $10. They come 2 to a pack and are built surprisingly well (I know UTG can be hit & miss).

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pic.../dp/B007BNHFLQ

This let me mount the TRS-25 Just in front of the action where I like my RD's. That held for over 1500 rounds with no drift of POI. When I really wanted to speed up my Steel Challenge times I moved up to a Burris Fast Fire III with a larger dot using the same mount adapters. This setup has held another 2000+ rounds with no issues whatsoever.

My suggestion is get the UTG Adapters and pick the best RD you can afford. You have a lot to choose from (C-mores, Delta Points, Trijicon RMRs, Aimpoint, Vortex, Burris FFIII, etc) and the prices range from sub $100 to over $600.

My experience is with the Bushnell TRS-25 and the Burris FFIII on this pistol and can recommend either without reservation. They make an amazingly deadly combo with the Trailside. If you range plink I would get the Bushnell (3.5 moa) for $60, if you want to compete get the Burris FFIII (8moa) for $215. Enjoy your Trailside, mine is definitely my favorite plinker pistol.

Hope this helps Tiger.
Regards,
Mike
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 AM

^damn good input - thank you for posting this mrboma!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM

The TRS-25 is a wonderful value red dot. I have one on my AK pistol and it holds zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 2:53 PM

I find the PA red dot to be a better RD than the TRS. Clicks felt better and the dot is less affected by my astigmatism. The TRS ain't bad.

UTG keeps surprising me with the cost vs quality. I have a UTG riser mount for a RED on my AR. It is awesome.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
Tiger,

I really wish I would have asked this question before going down that rabbit hole with my Trailside. Here is what I did after transitioning from casual range time (200 rounds a month) to Steel Challenge (1k a month).

Quick answer to the above is "none you will like". The 11mm rail is essentially worthless because only chi-com-crap red dots have that mount. I had a BSA 30mm on it originally and hated it, crappy glass and a furry dot. Looks like this:

Don't do this.

Went looking for decent budget RD's and found the Bushnell TRS-25. Do a search here, you'll find an infinite amount of info on this sight. I waited for a sale and picked up one for sub $60 delivered.

Next was how to mount the new sight. There is a frame mounted rail for the pistol that looks pretty well built but it's expensive and makes cleaning the pistol a pain in the arse.

This mount allows you to put the RD pretty much anywhere and might be what your looking for. I shoot mine a LOT and like to keep her pretty clean so this was not an option for me.

The search for mounting options continued and I came upon these UTG Adapters on Amazon for sub $10. They come 2 to a pack and are built surprisingly well (I know UTG can be hit & miss).

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pic.../dp/B007BNHFLQ

This let me mount the TRS-25 Just in front of the action where I like my RD's. That held for over 1500 rounds with no drift of POI. When I really wanted to speed up my Steel Challenge times I moved up to a Burris Fast Fire III with a larger dot using the same mount adapters. This setup has held another 2000+ rounds with no issues whatsoever.

My suggestion is get the UTG Adapters and pick the best RD you can afford. You have a lot to choose from (C-mores, Delta Points, Trijicon RMRs, Aimpoint, Vortex, Burris FFIII, etc) and the prices range from sub $100 to over $600.

My experience is with the Bushnell TRS-25 and the Burris FFIII on this pistol and can recommend either without reservation. They make an amazingly deadly combo with the Trailside. If you range plink I would get the Bushnell (3.5 moa) for $60, if you want to compete get the Burris FFIII (8moa) for $215. Enjoy your Trailside, mine is definitely my favorite plinker pistol.

Hope this helps Tiger.
Regards,
Mike
Mike, wow, thanks for the detailed info, I will indeed look into the later combo as suggested, I happen to have a Primary arms micro that might do the trick. Much appreciated!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger222 View Post
Mike, wow, thanks for the detailed info, I will indeed look into the later combo as suggested, I happen to have a Primary arms micro that might do the trick. Much appreciated!
No worries Tiger, glad I could help.

The Primary Arms Micro would indeed be a nice combo on the Trailside. Let me know if you want a pic of the RD mounted using the adapter(s)? There are two ways of doing it.

Regards,
Mike
Old 05-09-2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
No worries Tiger, glad I could help.

The Primary Arms Micro would indeed be a nice combo on the Trailside. Let me know if you want a pic of the RD mounted using the adapter(s)? There are two ways of doing it.

Regards,
Mike
Sure that would be great if you are up to it, again thanks for the help
Going to order the stuff off amazon shortly.
Will post a pic of it when she's all set up.
thx
Old 05-09-2016, 3:40 PM

Default Adapter Mounts - Use both

tiger,

Your very welcome. Like I said, I wish I would have asked around before buying and trying to get an RD on my Trailside. I could probably have a Trijicon RMR on this thing instead of a FastFire III!

Like I said they come 2 to a pack and are meant for mounting a scope (2 rings) to a receiver. As you know the rail on the Trailside is extremely tiny and doesn't give a lot of purchase area to grab onto. I felt that if I used them both, one in front of the RD's mounting screw and one behind it, the RD would have more to grab onto and give me a more solid mount.

Do the adapters stick out a bit in front and back of the RD? Yup they do.
Do I care? Not in the least
Can you use just one? Yes, they have a recess for the RD's mounting screw.

Don't forget the Loc-Tite! Looking forward to your finished plinker tiger.
Regards,
Mike