Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-06-2012, 5:26 PM
Banned

Default AAR: Frank Proctor Way of the Gun (WOTG) Pistol/Carbine, August 4-5, 2012 at Raahauge

Frank Proctor – Way of the Gun (http://wayofthegun.us/)

Hosted by Valor Resource Group : VRG is a Training and Security Consultancy company that "Fixes Things". We plan on hosting more instructors who mirror our training philosophy. VRG gives students the same respect we give our guest instructors -- we go that extra mile for both! Frank Proctor, is an example of what we are about: the passion to teach and see the students progress towards their goals.

Class was LEO/MIL only with two civilian guests

Day 1: Combat/Practical Pistol Operator

Safety/Med Brief and introductions. Frank gave a little of his background for those who didn't already know. Frank Proctor is a veteran of 18 years, 11 years Special Forces. Still active in SF he also instructs in the SF community. Frank has been an active competition shooter since May 2007 where he has excelled (Grand Master in Limited division of USPSA and IDPA Master in Stock Service Pistol division).

One of the first things he began to discuss was the fact that his exposure to the competition side of shooting has greatly increased his ability and performance as a SF operator: “I have learned a great deal from shooting in competition that has helped me become a better tactical shooter”. He went on to say many of the techniques he uses in competition are now part of his curriculum in his SF training courses. One of the things that sticks in my head was Frank stating when *hit goes down, everyone is going to fall back to their lowest level of training, his example was slowing down by half (not a scientifically derived percentage, just an example). If you learn a combat reload in competition and it takes 1.5 seconds to get that reload, then in a combat situation it may take you 3 seconds.

We headed down range where Frank began talking about stance, then grip. We then went into dry runs of target ID drawing to good sight alignment/ picture starting slowly then working up the speed. After that evolution we added trigger manipulation while observing the sights to see how trigger manipulation effects the sight alignment & picture. Again starting slow and working up the speed. He continually stressed to shoot as fast as you can see and this was constantly reinforced over the two days.

Everything starts with identification, from targets to mag well during reloads weapon status, to picking the next spot you are moving to and so on. He continually stressed the importance of this.

After many repetitions of this Frank began discussing his admin reload technique. During to Admin reload procedure Frank also preps the gun by presenting the weapon from the holster then locking the slide to the rear and performing the exact same mechanics as the combat reload. His method of press checking is also based on pure efficiency, pinching the front of the slide with thumb and forefinger to reestablish a proper grip very fast. He performs the same procedure every single time before holstering.

During the reload procedure he is a proponent of bringing the gun into the work space with eyes looking over the muzzle, momentarily shifting focus to look at the mag well to insert the mag. This gets the gun reloaded and back in the fight in the fastest possible time. This also allows you to deal with any problems that may occur, such as the mag not dropping from the mag well. At the same time the mag is seated his strong thumb is already on the slide stop ready for the release and the reaction hand that just inserted the mag is already back on the gun with a proper grip established, ready to get back on target. He discussed the power stoke method, stating the amount of time involved and the amount of excess motion required takes away from the ability to establish a proper grip and drive the gun back out into the fight. While it may only be 0.5 seconds that’s 0.5 seconds faster at the other guy shooting you.

We then went into one magazine’s worth of live fire, performing the same process, doing a few reps of draw, sight alignment/picture, then a few reps of draw sights, trigger. Then admin reload and slow fire paying maximum attention to where the sights go after breaking every shot.

After this evolution Frank began discussing the draw, he purposefully delayed until after the first live fire to talk about this so that he could watch each person and diagnose any problems if needed. His draw is directly taken from the world of competition, speed on target wins.

He then discussed the tactical reload, performed a demo and had us perform a live fire exercise that combined combat reload and tactical reload during the same drill.

The day continued building in pace and complexity, drills such as standing with the feet together with your head down reacting to a variety of stimulus that had you ID the correct target achieve the correct posture, draw and fire in one fluid motion.

We did many other drills that Frank explained and demoed. Towards the end of that day he set up various stages that involved all the concepts we used during that day and we ran them in a competition format (although a miss eliminated you out instantly).

Too much to write up here, it would turn into a small book.

Frank shot every evolution pushing himself past his point of failure sometimes just to show how fast you really can go and still have effective hits (needless to say none of our times came close to his).

Frank has a natural likability and combines Competition and Combat shooting into one seamless package as Superset once stated "he naturally slips between both worlds while he's teaching and it's extremely difficult to find that combination" and this is completely true.

Training Day 2: Carbine Operator

Started out with the Safety / Med Brief.

Frank discussed rifle grip styles and what he has found to be to most effective and efficient. He is a proponent of front arm fully extended as it establishes far more control over the weapon. What he does NOT do is wrap his thumb over the top of the hand guard, nor does he elevate his elbow into a ridiculous position that blocks that entire side FOV. Instead Frank lowers the elbow which helps draw the rifle back into the shoulder. He continued explaining the grip and stance combo. Another point he really stressed was not dropping down into a hunched over lower position, it prevents proper body alignment and being able to transition to multiple targets. He demoed some poor examples of contorting the body to work with the gun instead of bringing the gun to where you can work comfortably and efficiently.

We headed down range where Frank brought it back to the beginning explaining and then demoing bringing the rifle up from low ready to attain a sight picture - always leading with the head to ID what you may have to shoot. Again this was not trigger finger, just getting the rifle up and on target. After that we all drilled this as we worked into dry fire exercises working the trigger as fast as we could see the target.

Now Frank went into his version of the Carbine admin reload which followed the same procedure as the pistol. Present the weapon, work out the entire sequence of target acquisition, bring the weapon back into the work space, perform a visual inspection of the chamber, mag well, breach face and then chamber again. Grab your go to mag (the one you would use in a combat reload) to keep all of the motion the same as you would always do them. Load the weapon, bolt forward, chamber check, another tug on the mag for good measure, close the dust cover then reset your mag pouches.

From there we worked into single shot drills designed to get sights on target as fast as possible. we did a magazine’s worth of that and then Frank went into the Tactical reload. His version of the AR Tac reload involves placing the index finger between the two mag while holding the magazines side by side and indexing the thumb on the side of the mag so that when you seat the mag your thumb moves directly to the bolt release. Very efficient.

We then began a drill that took us through a combat reload and a Tac reload over and over again many times. He would have the first shooter on the line start and then next shooter would go after the previous finished. This allowed others to watch and learn stance recoil management, trigger manipulation, etc.

This led into multiple shots on multiple size targets from 8" to 3" and again shooting as fast as you can see. The targets don't lie.

After many cycles of variations of drills similar to Day 1 we moved into transitioning from primary to secondary weapons. Nothing fancy here: reaction hand brings the primary down and to the side while the weapon hand is bringing the secondary out to meet the reaction hand. We worked on a variety of transition drills. Frank then went into explaining movement and depending on the situation you may have to shoot on the move. At one point he said even if there is no cover to move to you better move your *** and make some cover with the pointy end of that rifle! He demoed some moving then shooting and we drilled that. He explained if you are in some sort of gunfight or competition speed is your friend, so don't slow down, shoot as you move and as fast as you can see.

During one scenario Frank had set up, he talked about how much easier it is to hit a target in a CQB situation with a long gun. Going on to say the other guy doesn't have to be that good to shoot you from 15 yards with a long gun, so you better damn sure be faster! We continued moving, shooting, shooting on the move etc..

We then went into transitioning on the move and continuing the fight. Of course, we worked drills on this in a variety of ways.

Now the fun begins. Frank set up a variety of staged scenarios requiring everything learned during the two days.

Multiple targets, continuous movement, transitions, longer shots, smaller targets, a total blend of speed and accuracy and forcing the shooter to make choices upon target identification.

He then threw in scenarios that forced you to think during the entire course of fire. Then a stage that put you under physical stress the entire course of fire from a variety of location and ranges.

The last part of the day was a few friendly competitions incorporating all aspects of the curriculum: speed, accuracy, movement, transitions, target ID, combat reloads, Tac reloads, etc.

Frank Procter is a soft spoken and humble man who lets his resume and shooting prowess speak for itself.

His ability to blend the worlds of competitive shooting and tactical shooting comes from his real world application of his methodology. Combat proven.

He is relatively new in the “tactical training" market, but I predict Frank Proctor will soon be one of most recognized names in the game.

Virus out.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Nice AAR. I'm looking forward to attending a special 3-day Pistol/Carbine class with Frank Proctor in mid-October. It'll include a pistol night shoot the first day and a carbine night shoot the second day (9am-10pm). Frank has just the right touch of experience, shooting capability, teaching, diagnosis and add to that his transference of competitive shooting skills to make you a better tactical shooter. Can't wait! We're in for quite a treat.

Here's another AAR thread about Frank by SuperSetCA who graciously set up the October class upon our request. Hope that Frank will conduct regular classes in SoCal going forward.

Last edited by ramzar; 08-06-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Nice AAR, sounds like an excellent class from someone with a real deal resume!
Old 08-08-2012, 2:45 PM

Thanks for the great AAR!
Old 08-08-2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Hope that Frank will conduct regular classes in SoCal going forward.
+1 to that.

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 08-08-2012, 4:37 PM
Banned

Pretty sure Frank will be back........
Old 08-08-2012, 8:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Wow, awesome AAR! I officially nominate The Virus to do all future AARs for this forum.

I can't expand too much upon what's already been noted earlier other than to offer my perspective as a returning student.

Even though this is my second class with Frank, this is my first with him where I could relax and just be a student and not full time cameraman. That proved to be quite fortuitous since he's added quite a bit of material since my April class. More aggressive and plentiful drills sprinkled with in-depth diagnostics. Rather than review the drills and techniques, I want to especially note his teaching style. Since the class was larger than my previous class, I was able to see Frank's teaching style more in-depth with a larger variety of students. Most of the students were themselves instructors of some sort so I especially appreciated seeing the healthy socialization of different ideas, techniques and experiences that each brought to the course. Despite the variety, one of the senior VRG instructors noted something this weekend that I agree with wholeheartedly in that despite Frank's lengthy and impressive Service and Shooting resume, he's able to connect with all levels of shooters whether they are a regular Joe or carry a gun for a living. You were treated with the same level of respect, enthusiasm and individual attention. This point cannot be noted enough.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that every time we broke away to refill magazines, someone would always grab Frank for their individual sidebar and solicit feedback to improve their own shooting and instruction. Consequently, I never saw Frank eat anything, except Red Bull, during the entire course. The man has a passion for what he does and it shows!

Finally, I'd like to extend a special thank you to Valor Resource Group for providing outstanding logistics to ensure that the course ran smoothly and efficiently. Having gone through some of those same hurdles for the October course, I know it's a thankless task to ensure that the instructor and students have what they need for a rewarding and challenging class. Even in my discussions with Frank, he noted how professional and squared-away VRG has been this weekend so their efforts did not go unnoticed. Well done and thank you again!

I have a little bit of video on my channel from this weekend so hopefully it'll give you a small flavor of what it's like to train with him. Frank will return in October for a 3-day and he's already told me that he's stoked about returning once again to SoCal!
Old 08-08-2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post

I can't expand too much upon what's already been noted earlier other than to offer my perspective as a returning student.
Expanded greatly in the right departments. You're too modest.

Quote:

... since my April class. More aggressive and plentiful drills sprinkled with in-depth diagnostics.

... despite Frank's lengthy and impressive Service and Shooting resume, he's able to connect with all levels of shooters whether they are a regular Joe or carry a gun for a living. You were treated with the same level of respect, enthusiasm and individual attention. This point cannot be noted enough.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that every time we broke away to refill magazines, someone would always grab Frank for their individual sidebar and solicit feedback to improve their own shooting and instruction.
Great observation and kudos to Frank on always improving his course and all the personal advise to such a large group.

Quote:

Consequently, I never saw Frank eat anything, except Red Bull, during the entire course. The man has a passion for what he does and it shows!
Eating Red Bull. My kind of guy. Seriously, Frank is like the Energizer Bunny.

Quote:

I have a little bit of video on my channel from this weekend so hopefully it'll give you a small flavor of what it's like to train with him.
Nice addition.

Quote:

Frank will return in October for a 3-day and he's already told me that he's stoked about returning once again to SoCal!
Probably the first or second guy who signed up for it and can't wait. Training physically to keep up with Frank the first 2 days of 12+ hours shooting.

Thanks again SuperSet for setting this up. As I said before, you've done a great service to the student / shooter community as well as Frank.
Old 08-09-2012, 9:03 AM

Awesome aar
Old 08-09-2012, 9:25 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Great AAR, OP!

As one of the students present at that class, I can honestly say it was 2 of the best days on the range that I've ever had.

As with all Valor Resource Group courses, safety was key, the instruction exceeded all expectation, the various stages of the day were meticulously planned and prepared for, friendships were born, and a great time was had by all.

Kudos to Valor Resource Group for having the connections to make this all possible, and for bringing a genuine top-notch shooter like Frank Proctor out for the benefit of us all.

I will definitely be at the next course. I'm pretty sure that Frank Proctor has forgotten more about shooting than I'll ever learn.

best,

g
Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

What they said.

Plus. Frank is one incredible guy all around. So much fun to learn from. He has a very broad backround which makes him the most well rounded instructor I have ever had the opportunity to take a course with. Got to learn a style that is the best of both worlds (combat / competition).
Everything he does is meticulously simplified and efficient. Economy of motion in every aspect of weapon manipulation. I learned so many little things that made perfect sense and can't wait to incorporate them into my shooting techniques.
Besides being an extremely talented shooter / instructor, he is a super nice guy. Not a hint of ego, just a very down to earth dude who loves what he does and has a great amount of passion for it. It surely shows.
I look forward to training with him again in the future whenever I get the chance. You will undoubtedly see more of Frank Proctor in the future as more people become aware of him. Courses sell out very quickly so if you see one pop up don't hesitate to claim your spot. It will be one of, if not the best courses you will ever attend.
I am very honored to have met Frank. He is a true hero in my eyes. A man that has put most of his life into serving and protecting his country. His resume says volumes both in the military and in competition.

And big thanks to Valor Resource Group for everything they did to make this course happen. Bringing Frank out to CA and setting up a kick *** class for us lucky students. They kept the day flowing seamlessly. Setting up stages with steel and obstacles (some really nice steel too by the way!) and maintaining a safe environment for all. They covered every angle and put on a good time for all. I hope to train with them every chance I get. Solid professionals!!!!

Don't forget to check out SuperSet's youtube vids too. He has some serious talent in putting videos together, and as a great shooter when he is not filming. Talented dude!

Thanks to all the other students at the course. You guys were lots of fun to train with. I got to meet some new faces and make a bunch of new friends whom I hope to see again soon. Everyone had a great attitude which created a good vibe the whole way through. A little competition on some of the drills was fun too. Seeing everyone pushing themselves and incorporating what they were learning was awesome. Very talented group of individuals!

Also, Frank has some sweet merchandise that you will be seeing shortly. Will post about it once it arrives.

Stay safe all,

Presscheck

WWW.CALEGALMAGS.COM

Last edited by JOHNNYRAMBO; 08-10-2012 at 7:30 AM..
Old 08-10-2012, 9:17 AM

Very excited for the upcoming class and future ones! His background in competition and combat are as good as you can get. Also reading the AAR's and watching videos, his teaching ability and demeanor seem to match his exceptional experience.
Old 08-11-2012, 9:10 AM

Superset, you shoot some incredible videos brother! You and Frank should put out a training DVD. I'll preorder that one!

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

I swear dude ... you are a snarky, pain-in-the-rear sometimes, but you write the best AARs. :-)

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 08-13-2012, 6:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Superset, you shoot some incredible videos brother! You and Frank should put out a training DVD. I'll preorder that one!
As far as the training DVD, I'll say that the subject has arisen. If I were to do something like that, it would look drastically different than the others out now. Anyways, as far as DVDs go, be sure to check out Panteao Production's stuff as they've got some big names, good content and quality production out in the market right now.
And thanks again for everyone's very nice comments!