Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Primary Arms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 9:19 AM

Default PAM3M Red Dot + 6x Magnifier -> Rail Size Question

Hi there,

I'm going to be purchasing the PAM3M and 6x Magnifier for it and mounting these on my Saiga Rifle.

Here is the rail I'm going to be using, from amazon. It's got 12 slots on top and 5.5" long.

I've been looking around but have been unable to figure out if both the red dot and the magnifier will fit on it. Looks like they should, but I wanted to be sure before I place the order for both.
Saiga IZ 132 - 7.62x39mm - Featureless

Last edited by asketes; 08-01-2012 at 9:20 AM.. Reason: Altered Title
Old 08-02-2012, 6:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

you can squeeze that combo on a 5.5" rail but the eye relief of the 6X is too short for a AK. It is specifically designed for nose to the charging handle on a AR. You can not get a solid enough cheek position on a AK to not have it bang into your eye. We will have more long eye relief magnifiers in 45-60 days. That would be a better choice.
Contact me at: Marshall@Primaryarms.com
Old 08-03-2012, 6:50 AM

Alright cool, thank you for the info.

Regarding the magnifier with the longer eye relief, is the magnification 6x as well or 3x? I noticed on the website you are out of stock for some of the 3x magnifiers but only had the one 6x.

Also, is there another side rail you would recommend for my purpose; being the one I listed is a little tight on space.
Old 08-03-2012, 8:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

The long eye relief is 3X. We tried a 6X LER and the field of view was too small. The 3X LER takes up much less rail space because it is front mounted. Any rail will work. My favorite is the Midwest Industries with the ADM QD clamp.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_..._p/mi-aksm.htm
Old 08-07-2012, 7:19 AM

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I apologize if I seem a little ignorant, I've never worked with any opticals as my only rifle was an M1 Garand and I have no plans on altering her. Now I have the Saiga I'd like to have some more play with what I do to her.

I was really hoping to go with a 6x magnification in addition with the red dot sight, something I can remove if I don't want/need the zoom effect. If I use a different sized side-rail, will that allow me to use the larger magnifier? Or am I kind of S.O.L. on the subject?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asketes View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I apologize if I seem a little ignorant, I've never worked with any opticals as my only rifle was an M1 Garand and I have no plans on altering her. Now I have the Saiga I'd like to have some more play with what I do to her.

I was really hoping to go with a 6x magnification in addition with the red dot sight, something I can remove if I don't want/need the zoom effect. If I use a different sized side-rail, will that allow me to use the larger magnifier? Or am I kind of S.O.L. on the subject?
Not the rail but the eye relief. You need a solid cheek weld but even with that the magnifier will bump you glasses. Our 1-4X scope could be a option.

Last edited by marsh1; 08-08-2012 at 10:39 AM..