Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-02-2016, 9:14 AM

Default Powder charges..

Got a question guys, how accurate the powder drop is, on every charge I get a bit different reading and I checked it on 2 different scales..
I have the lnl ap..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 9:18 AM

Accuracy differs with each powder system and the type of powder that you are using? The finer ball powders drop with more consistency and stick powders can be all over the pace. What powder are you using and what is your weight deviation?
Old 09-02-2016, 9:20 AM

Pistol or rifle charge....what powder(s). Also, are you using a digital scale, mine fluctuates a bit that 's why I rely on a balance beam for consistency.
Old 09-02-2016, 9:51 AM

To get consistent drops I have to "knock or tap" the handle of the powder measure a few times (3), each time to get the powder to settle. I too use a beam style scale and generally get .1gr or less variance. I use a Redding 3BR measure.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho89 View Post
Accuracy differs with each powder system and the type of powder that you are using? The finer ball powders drop with more consistency and stick powders can be all over the pace. What powder are you using and what is your weight deviation?
HS6, I'm doing few 115gr 9mm , I started with the lowest gr. 5.7,I do get around 6 out of 10 shots but then it goes to 5.8 sometimes 5.9 then down to 5.8,5.7..

Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahrMan View Post
Pistol or rifle charge....what powder(s). Also, are you using a digital scale, mine fluctuates a bit that 's why I rely on a balance beam for consistency.
Pistol,HS6 powder with rem primers,and I used 2 digital scales..

Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 AM

While some powders meter more consistently than others, there is at least a tenth of a grain variation in the scale and another tenth of a grain variation in the powder measure. So there will likely be at least two tenths of a grain variation from charge to charge - not enough to have an effect on accuracy, really. There are other factors like static, temperature in the room, etc. Operating the handle at the same speed & hitting the stops up & down with the same impact each time will help.

I clean a new powder measure's drum with alcohol & run about 50 powder drops before weighing to coat the inside of the drum with powder residue. And before charging cases, I'll drop at least 10 charges to settle the powder in the hopper.

Last edited by Win231; 09-02-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
While some powders meter more consistently than others, there is at least a tenth of a grain variation in the scale and another tenth of a grain variation in the powder measure. So there will likely be at least two tenths of a grain variation from charge to charge - not enough to have an effect on accuracy, really. There are other factors like static, temperature in the room, etc. Operating the handle at the same speed & hitting the stops up & down with the same impact each time will help.

I clean a new powder measure's drum with alcohol & run about 50 powder drops before weighing to coat the inside of the drum with powder residue. And before charging cases, I'll drop at least 10 charges to settle the powder in the hopper.
Ok,good to know,thanks..

Old 09-02-2016, 11:07 AM

I been also weighing a complete round on one I have around 182.4,other 185.6.. and it should be around 5.7 5.8gr on those two rounds..

Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julios View Post
I been also weighing a complete round on one I have around 182.4,other 185.6.. and it should be around 5.7 5.8gr on those two rounds..

Win231 had it all right.

Don't bother weighing finished rounds, the variance in brass, bullet weight makes it impossible to tell anything about the powder charge.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Ok good, measuring everything it's making crazy lol

Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Like others have stated, clean the powder drop thoroughly. I myself use HS6 in the LNL and have had consistent measurements, in regards to charge weight.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Ok,I'll try that..

Old 09-02-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ok good, measuring everything it's making crazy lol
YES it will. Try weighing a hand full of projectiles and a hand full of empty brass and see how much variance you get between them.

As for powder drop when you actuate your powder drop you should be consistent with how you throw the lever. I am rather aggressive so that it will settle the powder with each throw, but it also makes things more consistent. If you are soft once and violent the next time you will get a lot of variance.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Ok I'll try that, thanks..

Old 09-02-2016, 1:57 PM

don't worry about .1 or .2 grains of variance. Depending on how you 'throw' the lever....that will happen. It also won't appreciably affect accuracy...(unless you're getting into some super accurate competition loads)

If your brass is sticking to the powder funnel...i've also found it throws off the charge between the first time (when it sticks bad) to the second time (when it doesn't stick as bad since the flare is already opened up). That tends to happen to the 45's i load on the dillon...
Old 09-02-2016, 2:04 PM

When I get home I'll try few more things,I'm not trying to get that accurate every time because it seems almost impossible lol

Old 09-02-2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:

Don't base your charge weight based on the weight of a complete round. Apparently you've never weighted empty brass, it can vary by 10 grains or more, and projectiles can vary by a grain.

Don't worry about a 0.1 or even 0.2 grain deviation unless you are at max load. That would only matter for extreme precision, and if that were the situation then the cases should have been weighed and sorted first.

Be sure you're getting a true before-and-after weight. Wind from a fan, a truck driving down the street, or a nearby tv can affect a digital scale. If you're dropping the powder into a tray, be sure the tray is zeroed. If dropping directly into a case, make sure you zeroed the scale with that exact case beforehand, not the adjacent case made by a diff mfg in a diff year which weighs 8 grains more.
Old 09-02-2016, 4:02 PM

ok good to know,didnt know each case will weight that much different,ill probably go thru my cases and separate brands and weight those separate...
i have another question,but ill probably make another thread..
thanks for the info!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Don't base your charge weight based on the weight of a complete round. Apparently you've never weighted empty brass, it can vary by 10 grains or more, and projectiles can vary by a grain.

Don't worry about a 0.1 or even 0.2 grain deviation unless you are at max load. That would only matter for extreme precision, and if that were the situation then the cases should have been weighed and sorted first.

Be sure you're getting a true before-and-after weight. Wind from a fan, a truck driving down the street, or a nearby tv can affect a digital scale. If you're dropping the powder into a tray, be sure the tray is zeroed. If dropping directly into a case, make sure you zeroed the scale with that exact case beforehand, not the adjacent case made by a diff mfg in a diff year which weighs 8 grains more.
Old 09-02-2016, 4:03 PM

thanks for all the info guys..
Old 09-02-2016, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

If I want accurate, consistent loads, I weigh each powder charge and toss back variances. This works well with a single-stage press, but it's a time consuming process. For bulk loading on a progressive press, I find a mid-range load with a mid-range OAL that can handle the inevitable +/- variances on both, and then I live with it.

Old 09-02-2016, 5:28 PM

yea,i think thats what ill do with pistal loads,find the closes range between the gr. im looking for and leave it alone..
but ones i start on rifle, i want to be little more accurate,not sure if a single press would be worth the $$ on getting just for that and just do single powder drops..