Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-22-2016, 6:28 PM

Default How good are Precision Delta bullets?

Hey guys,

I was just curious...how good are precision delta bullets? The prices are phenomenal (especially with free shipping) but i'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the quality and accuracy?
Old 11-22-2016, 6:32 PM

They are just fine, I use them in my Open gun.

I prefer coated bullets for everything else.
Old 11-22-2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
They are just fine, I use them in my Open gun.

I prefer coated bullets for everything else.
I second that!

Popular in the practical shooting circles due to the great quality, accuracy, price and 124gr JHP 9mm. Sealed base for minimal smoke.

True jacketed bullet, not plated.

I'm with mjmagee67, my 9 minor , 40 and 45 are all Black Bullets International. Hi-Tek coated.

Rudy Project Shooting Pro Team

Old 11-22-2016, 7:36 PM

I bought a bunch in .40 and .38/.357 some years back and have been fine for plinking.
Old 11-22-2016, 7:51 PM

They're great. It's still me and not the ammo though that needs to be worked on. If you're smart you can pickup Berrys plated for as low as 5 a round
Old 11-22-2016, 9:37 PM

Would anyone consider the berry's to be more accurate/higher quality?

Because the typical prices for berrys are on par with the precision delta but the pd's are fmj/jhp
Old 11-22-2016, 11:23 PM

I like Delta's Berry's and Xtreem. They all shoot better than I can but I am not doing competition so my standards may be lower than your needs.

I tend to shop price on all three and buy the cheapest. Performance differences are not noticeable to me.
Old 11-23-2016, 1:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

If extreme did not exist, I would be buying Precision Delta.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 11-23-2016, 9:51 AM

I also used Precision Delta for my Open gun, Xtreme for my Limited and Production guns.
Old 11-23-2016, 3:34 PM

Are you guys saying the xtremes are more accurate?
Old 11-23-2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
Are you guys saying the xtremes are more accurate?
I'm not. Extreme bullets are OK. I feel coated and jacked are more accurate. I've loaded up many different types of bullets. What I found is with Extremes I would shoot 5 inch groups at 15 to 20 yards then I would load up coated bullets and the group size would shrink to 3 inches. The jacked bullet would fall in like the coated. This is with many different loads and powders all trying to make a minimum of 125 power factor for USPSA. I also would always get a stupid flier with plated Extremes, never got them with coated or jacketed.

I've loaded up Extremes, Bayou Bullets, SNS, Missouri Cast, Leatherhead, Montana Gold, and Delta Prescion. I've used N320, N350, Bullseye, Titegroup, Power Pistol and other powders. They were shot out of CZs, 1911, Sigs, Tanfos, M&Ps and Glocks. I've used bullet weights of 115, 124, 130, 135, and 147. I can never get the Extremes to group as well, it may be all psychological and YMMV.
Old 11-23-2016, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I can never get the Extremes to group as well, it may be all psychological and YMMV.
It's not and it doesn't.

Old 11-23-2016, 3:57 PM

I've been using PD's 9mm 124gr JHP for a few years, they are pretty good
and AFAICT no more expensive than plated.

I also use their lubed .38 SWC.

I feel sorry for the mailman when he delivers
Old 11-23-2016, 4:30 PM

Plated bullets are a soft lead core electro-plated with pure copper.

Because of that at first look one might assume that they would be close to jacketed bullets in performance.

But looking closer, the plated bullets are plated with pure copper, where jacketed bullets are a lead core covered with a much thicker and harder copper alloy.

Bullet jackets are actually made from a copper alloy called Gilding Metal. Gilding Metal has different qualities than pure copper, just like steel is a much improved alloy of iron, and one of which is that Gilding Metal is a lot harder than pure copper.

Among the list of benefits is that rifling grips it more firmly, and that is certainly a big advantage in accuracy as velocity and pressure increases.

Cast lead bullets are made from a much harder lead alloy that has some benefits similar to jacketed bullets, and that adds to performance on target.

Some of the thicker plated bullets can work out ok, but their use has dramatically decreased since coated bullets became available.

Today, most serious match competitors are either shooting coated or jacketed bullets because of their advantages.
Old 11-23-2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
It's not and it doesn't.
Try lubing the case before you seat plated bullets. I've never lubed my straight wall pistol cases for 24 years of the 25 years I reloaded. Made a believer out of me after shooting my buddy's (sw911 here) Dan Wesson at a 10" gong at 100yd and hit with 6 out of 7 rounds of 230gr Xtreme ball. Bought 1,000s of them but couldn't get them to group (4" to 5" at 25 yards). Uncontrollable fliers pissed me off. Sold most of them then found out he lubed the cases as Hornady die instruction said.

So... one bored day recenly, I tried with the previous 5" grouper Xtreme 200gr SWC and lightly lubed the inside case mouths. This is the 1st group I shot off hand at 22 yards, which the unlubed cases never could do.

2 groups of 10 shots each (2x 5-shot strings), off hand, both under 3". I'd say that's pretty good for plated bullets.
Old 11-23-2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckberry668 View Post
Try lubing the case before you seat plated bullets. I've never lubed my straight wall pistol cases for 24 years of the 25 years I reloaded. Made a believer out of me after shooting my buddy's (sw911 here) Dan Wesson at a 10" gong at 100yd and hit with 6 out of 7 rounds of 230gr Xtreme ball. Bought 1,000s of them but couldn't get them to group (4" to 5" at 25 yards). Uncontrollable fliers pissed me off. Sold most of them then found out he lubed the cases as Hornady die instruction said.

So... one bored day recenly, I tried with the previous 5" grouper Xtreme 200gr SWC and lightly lubed the inside case mouths. This is the 1st group I shot off hand at 22 yards, which the unlubed cases never could do.

2 groups of 10 shots each (2x 5-shot strings), off hand, both under 3". I'd say that's pretty good for plated bullets.
I load on a Dillon 1050 and have been lubing my cases. I use Hornady One-Shot case lube.
Old 11-26-2016, 9:00 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

I find PD to be extremely consistent, and the price is very attractive, especially for FMJ. I typically order in 2K quantities to get the better deal. Definitely my preferred bullet.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:50 PM

What's an easy way to lube just the case mouth? Only thought I had was one of those cotton bore cleaning brushes that are clean with a light dip.