Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-10-2007, 6:13 PM

Default Wild pig hunt

A few of us are looking to go wild pig hunting. Most everyone is a newbie (I've done some small game and bird hunting, but that's about it). We're interested in finding a guide, preferably in Southern or Central California, who's good, patient, and can arrange for dressing/processing.

"High end" hunt recommendations would be particularly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2007, 6:45 PM

I went here with a group a little over a year ago. The fee was $600.00 which included a nice bunk house with a shower/bathroom and some of the best cooking I have ever had, home style. (So full room and food in the price!) $225.00 of that was for the pig and if you didn't get a pig the fee was $375.00.

Varmit hunting during the day and pig hunting in the morning and evening. The manager/head guide was a great host and we had a great time. All of us could have got a pig but a couple of guys turned pigs down because they wanted really big boars. They took care of everything after the kill. You just have to find a place to get the meat processed.

http://www.pig-hunt.com/
Old 06-14-2007, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

If you dont have the guts, no pun intended, to reach in to the boars body cavity and clean the game you take you shouldn't be taking it...

Initially the process may make you gag...but you'll get used to it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-14-2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomIsNotFree View Post
If you dont have the guts, no pun intended, to reach in to the boars body cavity and clean the game you take you shouldn't be taking it...
When I take newbies tuna fishing, I clean the first couple of tuna to show 'em how to do it.

But I guess hunting is different. Experienced hunters tell newbies that they gotta do it all themselves the first time they go hunting. And experienced hunters criticize newbies if they ask for info about hiring an experienced and patient guide who can show 'em how stuff is done.

Attitudes like that are probably one of the reasons why the number of hunters keeps dropping each year. Oh yeah, that also means that the number of people interested in preserving hunting rights also keeps dropping each year.

PETA thanks you for your support.

Last edited by SamIAm; 06-14-2007 at 9:30 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a guide who can/will lead a hunt. He's in the Ojai/Santa Barbara area and is a registered guide. Pick some dates and let's get a list of people together and I'll set it up if you're interested.
Old 06-15-2007, 5:43 AM

Quote:

Cleaned more game than I can count,,I still don`t like doing it.All the years I was a guide it was much easer for us to clean and dress it out just beacuse of the time it would take for a new hunter to do it.
I think all new hunter`s should keep an eye on the guides when they do it so they can learn how, But aint no big deal...
Old 06-15-2007, 6:30 AM

I am interested in a pig hunt but how much? Cost is the motivating factor here. I am also interested in a fishing trip for tuna (SAMIAM). How much also? lol
Old 06-15-2007, 2:57 PM
Banned

Name the places in SoCal and I will be there with a bow or my new rifle HAHA.
Old 06-15-2007, 6:08 PM

Check out the link in my post: www.pig-hunt.com Great place!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

And its even better when you find out the pig was pregnant
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just all part of the quest.
Old 06-16-2007, 9:38 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs1 View Post
And its even better when you find out the pig was pregnant
Did you tag it twice?
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 06-17-2007, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
When I take newbies tuna fishing, I clean the first couple of tuna to show 'em how to do it.

But I guess hunting is different. Experienced hunters tell newbies that they gotta do it all themselves the first time they go hunting. And experienced hunters criticize newbies if they ask for info about hiring an experienced and patient guide who can show 'em how stuff is done.

Attitudes like that are probably one of the reasons why the number of hunters keeps dropping each year. Oh yeah, that also means that the number of people interested in preserving hunting rights also keeps dropping each year.

PETA thanks you for your support.
No offense intended. And hunting buddies will show you how...they make it so you can learn.....I always have.....but can you imagine the look on my face if my buddy just bagged a boar and expected me to clean it by myself?

Cleaning/dressing your game is part of the experience....but most importantly, the responsibility. I dont mind teaching/showing, but you are going to get your hands bloody helping out. Fair enough?

I dont know how much teaching you'd receive if you went to one of those paid hunts....thats my point. They drive you up to the spot.....you take your shot....then they pick it up.....a couple hours later you pick up your meat......that may sound like fun to some, but not me....kinda like going to the "Sure Catch" Pond for some "fishing".

To each their own...

For those that want to learn a thing or two....here is a decent read on how to field dress a boar....

http://www.jackboulware.com/writing/wild-boar-hunting

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-17-2007, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Did you tag it twice?
No, it wasn't my shot, it was one of the other guys that was on the trip with us...not a pretty sight.

Most good guides will ask you to please not shoot a pig if you can tell they are pregnant...But sometimes at the pay and shoot places, you will hunt with some true jackasses.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
For those that want to learn a thing or two....here is a decent read on how to field dress a boar....

http://www.jackboulware.com/writing/wild-boar-hunting
Good read... Thanks
with a Free Floating Piston...