Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Default I need help with optics

I just finished building my attempt at a universal rifle but I am kind of at a loss for optics. I know that a rifle that is good at several things won't be great at anything.

The rifle will primarily be a range gun and I want to use it for some of the informal 600 yard matches out here at sac valley. I would also like the option to use it as a hunting rifle (varmint, coyote).

My price range is around $700. I have owned a couple of Leupolds and I have liked them but I don't have any experience with other brands. If you guys wouldn't mind chiming in with your opinion it would be great.

My Frakenstein 6.5 Grendel

Spikes lower with Dpms parts kit, Armalite 2 stage match trigger, Magpul PRS Stock, LAR Grizzly side charger upper, Alexander arms 20" barrel, Nordic free float handguard, YHM gas block and gas tube, WCI Muzzle brake, Vltor bipod, Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 30mm tube, mildot reticle and target turrets with Leupold one piece scope mount

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Don't Listen to me, I had bad grades in high school....

Last edited by hammerhands32; 09-30-2012 at 8:19 PM..
Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't mean to derail the thread, but what exactly about this rifle is universal? Looks like a pretty standard long range/bench rifle to me. Anyway, is there some reason you don't want to stick with Leupold since it's worked for you in the past?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
I don't mean to derail the thread, but what exactly about this rifle is universal? Looks like a pretty standard long range/bench rifle to me. Anyway, is there some reason you don't want to stick with Leupold since it's worked for you in the past?
what meety petey said......Ive never owned a Leupold, well as of yet anyway.....but whats not to like?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM

I'm digging your set-up, man. If I did an AR build I'd do one similar to yours.
If you're "only" going out to 600 yards try a 10X fixed - and the best one I'd go for would be the SWFA SS HD
like here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3480953

It's a lot for a 10x, but the HD is clear and greatly illuminated. Even the standard SS is a great scope.
Or look at used scope, i got my Leupold 6.5-20x50 for much less than your price range.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

There are better optic out there than leupold. I own a few of their scopes but I like the higher end Nikons and high end bushnells (4300 or 6500) better. Burris and weaver make decent glass also. Out to 600 I would look for a 2.5x 10 or 4.5x14. Never found much need to go above 12 power even for prairie dogs out to 600.
Old 08-04-2012, 1:00 PM

I admit that you can do better than Leupold, but Nikon, Bushnell, Burris and Weaver?
Not in my opinion, at least.
Old 08-04-2012, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Could I use it for a competition? yes
Would it be the best choice? no
Could I use it for hunting? yes
Would it be the best choice? no
Could I use it in my hallway? yes
Would it be my first choice? no
Can I take it to the range? yes
Will I enjoy it? yes

Does most things good but nothing great.

I like Leupolds but my only experience is hunting style (fine duplex, 3-9x40 magnification, etc...).

I guess I'm looking for a mid level tactical scope that is good out to 800 yards. (I would definitely buy another Leupold).

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Old 08-04-2012, 1:05 PM

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle
Old 08-04-2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don29palms View Post
That Vortex looks good and has a ton of options. I'll have to find a local shop with one so I can check it out.

I found this with the Varmint reticle.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html

Old 08-04-2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhands32 View Post
That Vortex looks good and has a ton of options. I'll have to find a local shop with one so I can check it out.

I found this with the Varmint reticle.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html
Where are you located? If you are in NorCal check out CS Tactical. Mike will take care of you and point you in the right direction. Weather that be a Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold or what have you.
Old 08-04-2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Action Precision View Post
Where are you located? If you are in NorCal check out CS Tactical. Mike will take care of you and point you in the right direction. Weather that be a Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold or what have you.
Awesome. This place is 20 minutes from my house.

Old 08-04-2012, 5:28 PM

Hammmer , I like you build man. Id shoot that ***** anywhere...
Old 08-05-2012, 7:13 AM

Sweet long gun Hammerhandsman! She's a real beaut!
Old 08-05-2012, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRed View Post
I admit that you can do better than Leupold, but Nikon, Bushnell, Burris and Weaver?
Not in my opinion, at least.
This is based on my experience. I spend days at a time looking through these scopes, have years of use on them, and can speak from experience that they don't give you headaches after an hour. These recommendations are based on what the OP has for a price range. Otherwise I would sound like all the others that recommend meopta or swarovski, but those are not in his price range.
Old 08-05-2012, 9:07 AM

Take a look at the Weaver tactical 3-15 EMDR scope, runs for about $700 and IMO is the best scope for under $1000:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tacti...pe-P49448.aspx
Old 08-05-2012, 9:19 AM
Banned

Agree with Damon, though I've no experience with weavers-

When you decide what you want, you can always check swfa "the sample list'.

Demos or returns for a steal.

Got a nikon monarch VSD red dot for $150 on the sample list. Was so impressed with that red dot, I just ordered one brand new from a different supplier, and the best price(and in stock) was $232. The sample list has just about all brands, just a matter of the exact scope you're looking for being on it- and if you see it, jump on it- stuff goes quick.
Old 08-05-2012, 2:04 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I really appreciate the help with specific models. I will be checking those out this week.

Old 08-06-2012, 5:18 PM

Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 30mm tube, mildot reticle and target turrets already installed
Thanks for the help Grandslam

Old 08-06-2012, 6:00 PM

I cant comment on scope issues cuz I only had 130 cheap bushnell banner scope , but damm that is nice side charging rifle u got there
Old 08-06-2012, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhands32 View Post

Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 30mm tube, mildot reticle and target turrets already installed
Thanks for the help Grandslam
Looks good! Grandslam is a decent guy! Let us know how you like it at the range.