Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Default CCW test Questions?

I have my first interview in a few days so I have some time, but when I go in for my second interview( when they give the test) I would like to be prepared. Is there anywhere that I can bone up on info that might be on the test? Or is it all common knowledge? Any tricky Qs ext. it's Fresno county if that makes any difference.
Thanks any info would be much appreachiated
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM

I wasn't aware of any "test" questions during interviews for getting your LTC. Sac County never had any of these "test" questions. Interesting...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM

When I went for the shooting portion, there was a handgun safety quiz.

Pretty simple.

Never tested at an interview tho.... Only, explain this and that questions.

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 08-02-2012, 1:21 PM
Banned

I believe they make you do 25 one handed push ups with your weak hand.

In El Dorado County they just go back over the questions on your application, that was it. Basically they just wanted to see if you were a nut ball or not.
Old 08-02-2012, 1:30 PM

Ok so it must be the class that I'll be taking that gives the quiz.

I would rather do push ups than take tests lol, as long as there's no algebra I'm good
Old 08-02-2012, 7:55 PM

Never took a test when I got mine. Did an interview that was more chitchat than anything else and that's about it.
Old 08-02-2012, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No interviews or tests in Kern County. I'm curious about what they ask you.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-03-2012, 9:04 AM
CGN Contributor

I'm not sure it is legal to test you at an interview after you have already passed the tests required during your LTC class. Our undersheriff asks you questions on your application but does not drill you by any means. He said they just want to get to know you face to face. By the time you are at the interview process in this county anyway, it's just a formality to meet face to face.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM

I just found out that yes there is a test given on the second interview, from my understanding we work on the answers at the class I have to take after the second interview.
Old 08-03-2012, 2:54 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The Fresno LTC docs do mention a test:
Quote:
1. If the permit is approved:

iii. Make an appointment:
1. to take the CCW test from our Department (AFTER taking the above listed class)

E. Fifth Step – Applicant Comes In the Second Time
1. Introduce yourself again (if you are a new face for them)
2. Applicant will: a. Take the test (see Appendix A) [[ not included in the packet! ]]
b. Fill out the Public Records Act (See Appendix B)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Got mine +5 years ago in Fresno County so things may be a bit different now.

Yes there is a test.
The test is a lot like the handgun safety cert. test. Common sense questions that if you are familiar with and have used firearms you should have no trouble passing.

The test you will have in your class may be similar but is not the same. The class test is for your instructor to determine if what they teach is sinking in.
In my class we self graded our tests so this was more to show ourselves if we learned anything.

1st interview is for the deputy to see you face to face so they can get a sense of the type of person you are. Very relaxed interview in which the deputy will speak with you and review your paperwork for completeness.

2nd interview is for the test & final documents then he takes you down to the jail for fingerprints which are needed to do the background check.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 08-05-2012, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curley Red View Post
I believe they make you do 25 one handed push ups with your weak hand.
In El Dorado County they just go back over the questions on your application, that was it. Basically they just wanted to see if you were a nut ball or not.
They asked me if I'd ever passed gas in church and I had the good sense to lie!
Old 06-02-2015, 8:24 PM

FYI ... Fresno County Sheriff still has the test during second interview

I go in for mine tomorrow

I will reply with some of the things I remember to help with someone int he future that may be wondering.

I was told though that it's literally stupid common sense question like your HSC / FSC test is.

But I'm reply back with what I see on the test ... I take it at 8:00 tomorrow morning downtown.
- Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield
- Smith & Wesson M&P9 5" PRO C.O.R.E
- BCM 16" ELW w/13" KMR on Spikes Lower AR-15
- Beretta A300 Outlander 12G Shotgun
- Smith & Wesson Victory .38 Special
Old 06-02-2015, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer72 View Post
I have my first interview in a few days so I have some time, but when I go in for my second interview( when they give the test) I would like to be prepared. Is there anywhere that I can bone up on info that might be on the test? Or is it all common knowledge? Any tricky Qs ext. it's Fresno county if that makes any difference.
Here are a few that I remember:
1) What weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?
2) Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
3) When was the War of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?

And there were some tricky word problems, like: A man and his son are driving in a car. They get into a terrible accident. The man dies. They rush the critically injured boy to the hospital for emergency surgery. The ER surgeon goes into the operating room, looks at the boy, and says, "I can't perform this surgery. This boy is my son." How is this possible?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
No interviews or tests in Kern County. I'm curious about what they ask you.
The interview in Ventura County was just for them to go over the application with you and allow you a chance to "revise any answers or disclose more information" if desired. AKA, a chance to come clean before they do the background investigation. Mine took a total of 10 minutes and I was done.

The test was part of the CCW class.

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 PM

I'm not aware of any test in Sacramento county.There is nothing on their website that says there is a test.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM

This is from Sacramento Sheriff website....
During your "Concealed Weapons Permit Issuance" appointment, you will need to turn in all of your training requirements, a money order or cashier’s check for $80 payable to "County of Sacramento", and provide two (2) current pieces of proof of current residency (ie: utility bill, home owners insurance etc) . If all requirements are met, your permit will be issued to you prior to leaving the office
Old 06-03-2015, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Here are a few that I remember:
1) What weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?
2) Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
3) When was the War of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?

And there were some tricky word problems, like: A man and his son are driving in a car. They get into a terrible accident. The man dies. They rush the critically injured boy to the hospital for emergency surgery. The ER surgeon goes into the operating room, looks at the boy, and says, "I can't perform this surgery. This boy is my son." How is this possible?
1) Neither.
2) Nobody. Grant's tomb is an above ground crypt, Grant and his wife are "entombed" there, nobody is "buried" in it.
3) 18 June 1812 through 18 February 1815.
4) Gray. There are no white horses. Any horse with "white" hair, is actually a gray horse.

Tricky problem answer: It was either his "Other Dad" if he was being raised by two Gay fathers, his biological Dad if he had been given up for adoption, or it was his mother.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 06-03-2015, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
1) Neither.
2) Nobody. Grant's tomb is an above ground crypt, Grant and his wife are "entombed" there, nobody is "buried" in it.
3) 18 June 1812 through 18 February 1815.
4) Gray. There are no white horses. Any horse with "white" hair, is actually a gray horse.

Tricky problem answer: It was either his "Other Dad" if he was being raised by two Gay fathers, his biological Dad if he had been given up for adoption, or it was his mother.
It was his mother. Congratulations, you'll have no problems qualifying for a CCW permit!

Old 06-03-2015, 2:12 PM

So the Fresno County Sheriffs Office Test .....

If you can't pass it you shouldn't own a gun OR a concealed carry permit For Sure.

It was 25 True / False questions

About 5 of them were "tricky" .... you know how they word em' to get you to circle the wrong one.

One was so stupid as if you shoot into water there is a chance or ricochet. (T).
One about whether you semi-auto gun is "Safe" if the magazine is removed, slide is locked back and chamber is clear (T)

You know a question like that when you read it is YEP True, but then you second guess yourself on one like that saying "Hmmm, is there something else? Safety, visually inspect, something else, hmmm" LOL

Another like .... It is proper and safe to defend yourself at home with your handgun locked in the safe and ammo separate from the firearm?
There you start to wonder about laws and what not and you pause to think for a few seconds.

Really about 20 of them are GIMME you know the answer before your done reading the question .. just about 5 or so lead you to pause and think.

SO ... In closing ..... IT'S EASY!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a gun owner and educated and paid attention a bit in your CCW class it is IMPOSSIBLE not to pass the Fresno Sheriff's 2nd interview test.

From there you sign 3 spots which is your actual .... One is white which will be yours, the yellow stays with the DOJ and pink stays with the sheriff's office once your done. You also get your CCW permit card ... that is for you to carry in this county and the white paper you signed you carry as well cause that is your permit Everywhere Else outside of you home area ... Weird to me but okay.

Walked across the street, got fingerprinted and paid $208 and my receipt and I Was Done!!!

Permit will arrive in about 2 months or so give or take.

So if you are worried and want to be a prepared person I was cause you heard the "TEST" .... Don't bother worrying .... It's Impossible To Not Pass!!! (I was told no one has ever failed).

I got 100% BTW
Old 06-03-2015, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Just need to show visible Abs.....someone had to say it
Old 06-03-2015, 5:13 PM

Wow, 2nd interview? Good grief, it's getting to the point where it's easier and faster to get a job with the county sheriff than get a CCW permit. Thank God for local PD. I just went in, turned in paperwork, sign here, fingerprint here, we'll call you when we get DOJ approval.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." -Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-03-2015, 7:12 PM

Local Fresno PD is Exactly the same process as Sheriff

And really to be clear it's just the second meeting and not really interview ... You just go in to to sign you papers, fingerprint and pay fee. The first interview is more interview, 2nd is just a follow up to finish the process.

They even do neighbor visits through local PD where SO does not.

It is an insane process but that's CA. For ya ... I'd rather go through the BS to be safe and armed then not.

Last edited by falconman515; 06-03-2015 at 7:16 PM..
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The interview in Ventura County was just for them to go over the application with you and allow you a chance to "revise any answers or disclose more information" if desired. AKA, a chance to come clean before they do the background investigation. Mine took a total of 10 minutes and I was done.

The test was part of the CCW class.
Same here...
Old 06-09-2015, 8:25 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
It is an insane process but that's CA. For ya ... I'd rather go through the BS to be safe and armed then not.
That's what kills me. It's NOT California for ya, it's your local IA for ya. My county doesn't do residency checks, at least not that I've read anywhere or heard anyone speak of. The Sheriffs office didn't say anything about it so I don't think they do one here. Odd disparities between IAs and their specific requirements across the board though....I guess that disparity is CA for ya!

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015
Old 06-09-2015, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tagged

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-09-2015, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
That's what kills me. It's NOT California for ya, it's your local IA for ya. My county doesn't do residency checks, at least not that I've read anywhere or heard anyone speak of. The Sheriffs office didn't say anything about it so I don't think they do one here. Odd disparities between IAs and their specific requirements across the board though....I guess that disparity is CA for ya!
I never said they did residency checks here either.

The PD does it ... Not the Sherrifs office.

And I meant the whole CCW application process is insane and pathetic and that's a CA. thing!
Old 06-09-2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:

You do the test when you take the CCW training,Not in the sheriff office.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post

Somebody has been spending too much time watching the movie Tin Cup.
Old 06-11-2015, 6:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
I never said they did residency checks here either.

The PD does it ... Not the Sherrifs office.

And I meant the whole CCW application process is insane and pathetic and that's a CA. thing!
No, you didn't but there are counties that do them. It was an example of the inconsistency of which I was speaking. The insane part is that there is no set consistency between IAs.The fact that your Police dept. vice Sheriffs office does highlights the lack of consistency as well...

I think we agree with each other here....

Old 06-11-2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I just finished the CCW training and I ask the instructor about the test , He said there is no test during final interview but we did the test at the class before we go shooting.It was very easy , I already knew %98 answers from being in Calguns.
I don't know if it the same question in all California but I still have the answers,it's multiple choices .
Old 06-11-2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faris1984 View Post
You do the test when you take the CCW training,Not in the sheriff office.

In Fresno there was a short test to be taken at the sheriff's office during one of the interviews.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 06-11-2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
In Fresno there was a short test to be taken at the sheriff's office during one of the interviews.
So I'm confused now, , is there a test during final interview in Sacramento?.
Old 06-11-2015, 7:07 PM

How would I know?
I gots mine from here in Fresno.
Like posted multiple times above, each and every IA handles this abortion differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 06-11-2015, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

You better start boning up on ballistics. I heard they ask about the minimum level of ft.-lbs of energy needed to pass the FBI ballistics protocol. There were a few questions about reloading and powder burn rates. Obviously they will want you to discuss the merits of a 9mm v 45acp at length without notes. Things like that.

Oh yeah, and if you ever use the words "glock" and "perfection" or any variation in the same sentence it's an automatic denial.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 06-12-2015, 8:01 PM

AZ/CA/NV
Old 06-12-2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Oh yeah, and if you ever use the words "glock" and "perfection" or any variation in the same sentence it's an automatic denial.
LOL ... Now THIS I agree with!
Old 06-12-2015, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faris1984 View Post
So I'm confused now, , is there a test during final interview in Sacramento?.
No.
Old 06-12-2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
No.
Thank you sir.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
They asked me if I'd ever passed gas in church and I had the good sense to lie!
I would tell them I don't go to church but if I did I would.