Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-31-2012, 6:24 PM

Default Interesting: Disruptive Tech – 3D Printed AR-15 Lower

Disruptive Tech – 3D Printed AR-15 Lower

Tactical Fanboy picked this up the other day. Despite assertions elsewhere, by no means is this the first 3D printed firearm. It’s starting to make its way into the Main Stream Media and of course timing couldn’t be better so the ‘plastic’ gun and ‘anyone can print a gun’ talk has already started. To be sure, 3D printing is the next big thing. Industry is way out on front of Government on this issue as they are more concerned with patent and copyright infringement than anything else. Expect to see industry propose legislation to attempt to throttle printers in order to suppress certain types of items being produced.

The big issue in this instance is that a lower was produced. As far as ATF is concerned, that is the firearm. It is legal to build your own gun. However, as this technology proliferates, what would stop someone who cannot legally possess a firearm from printing critical parts and assembling a gun from the parts he couldn’t produce in house? A heavy question that balances liberty and social responsibility.

Will LE one day be on the lookout for unlicensed printers connecting to the network? Will everything we print have to be approved by a central server? Will printing certain items become illegal? These are all issues we will face in the not-too-distant-future. The capability presented by the 3D printer makes it an absolute Disruptive Technology.

HaveBlue of AR15.com has managed to create a working polymer AR-15 lower made from a 3D printer, specifically a mid 90′s Stratasys 3D printer. So far, the lower has been combined with a .22 LR upper, with over 200 rounds fired and no issues. A 5.56 upper was also used, with some feeding and extraction issues, however according to the creator this upper has also had problems with a standard aluminum lower.

A few other articles I’ve seen on this project have instantly jumped at the chance to (incorrectly) claim people now have the ability to create fully-functional firearms using just a 3D printer, so in the name of truth and fairness, I feel it’s important to mention that only the lower was created with the printer, not the trigger assembly and other required components.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/07/31...d-ar-15-lower/

if this is in the wrong location, mods feel free to move it.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 07-31-2012, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Can someone start CNC'ing SVD receivers?
Old 08-01-2012, 3:24 PM

these days anything is possible.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 08-01-2012, 8:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i wonder if anybody made a mold where you could just cast one out of say zinc
Old 08-01-2012, 8:40 PM

3D printers capable of printing lowers can be readily made by hand for under $500. I have built several such machines myself. Are they going to register stepper motors and timing belts? Controlling this technology is just not possible. It would be like trying to control pencil sharpeners.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

Default Correct

There are specs for one on this site
http://opensourceecology.org/

I think they ask for a donation not sure. My brother built their clay/brick machine last year and it works pretty good - I think he'll try the 3D printer soon. I'm hoping for a composite 1911 myself.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointedstick View Post
3D printers capable of printing lowers can be readily made by hand for under $500. I have built several such machines myself. Are they going to register stepper motors and timing belts? Controlling this technology is just not possible. It would be like trying to control pencil sharpeners.
Old 08-02-2012, 5:11 AM

I just got my 3D printer. I've seen other people doing lowers and they seem to hold up to at least the forces imparted on it by a .22lr. I might try to do a lower myself before they try and make it illegal as I'm sure they eventually will.
Old 08-02-2012, 5:30 AM

There are other threads already that talk about 3d printing, like:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=580193