Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the M9
Love it 61 30.35%
It gets the job done 99 49.25%
Hate it 41 20.40%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2013, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
gets the job done but ergonomics suck IMO.
Agreed. I'd love for them to switch over to a CZ 75BD.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 12-10-2013, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
gets the job done but ergonomics suck IMO.
I have to disagree on that one. the M9 fits in my hand perfectly. not all handguns are for everyone. I have not been issued one but I do have a 92FS that I bought 20 years ago and it has served me very well for those years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Ok. You should know how to play. I say I see something that begins with a letter.
You find out what it is.
I spy with my little eye something that begins with a "C".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post
Chlamydia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
The silhouette of an AR-15 is as appealing to the general public as a dildo.
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-10-2013, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I have to disagree on that one. the M9 fits in my hand perfectly. not all handguns are for everyone. I have not been issued one but I do have a 92FS that I bought 20 years ago and it has served me very well for those years.
I agree to disagree... everyone's hands are different as are preferences. I much prefer the 1911 style safety. but I also understand it make sense to have an decocker and no ability to be cocked and locked on a issue sidearm.

as I recall the 92 was selected by politicians not by it merits.

FOR SALE 9mm FMJ ammo 1000 rounds
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1142181

FS - Remington Versa Max Tactical Fore end with quick connect for sling
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1124354
Old 12-10-2013, 8:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Great weapon system.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

to bulky. there are better options and I hate the trigger.

ALL ITEMS FOR SALE ARE FROM NORTH SD COUNTY AND WILL SHIP (EXCEPT AMMO CANS)

$30 - M16 PREBAN Magazines - ***30+ AVAILABLE***
$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Old 12-13-2013, 9:55 AM

I much prefer the M11 to the M9. Hopefully they will make the switch because I hate having to do the marksmanship contests with the M9.
Old 12-24-2013, 7:37 PM

I love the M9. It fits my hand perfectly. I like the 1911 too, but the milspec ones without the beavertail give me hammer bite every single time. In my opinion, it's a great thing that the new M45s have the beavertail.
Old 12-24-2013, 9:18 PM

I never shot a 1911 that was issued prior to the m9.

I have used the m9 on a few occasions and didn't care for it. All the ones I had were well used and poorly maintained but besides that they are also massive for a 9mm pistol and I don't like how they feel in my hand.

I have shot the new 1911s and they are wonderful. They fit well in your hand, don't feel like they are going to fall apart, look cool, and are slim. Hopefully the m9s get phased out all together and more units start getting 1911s.
Old 12-25-2013, 1:01 AM

I think the m9 certainly has its place...just not in my safe. I dont hate it, just feels too bulky for me

Last edited by YZINGERR; 12-25-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM
CGN Contributor

Location: The chair is against the wall; John has a long mustache

I feel the need to chime in here and forgive me if you disagree with my ideas. But anyone who's seen my previous posts knows that I preach Beretta love. We all have our preferences. But as a former Marine who was issued, carried and utilized this weapon platform on three separate tours in Iraq, and currently has one residing in my safe at home, I can wholeheartedly say this weapon saved mine, as well as many others bacon more than a few times. Are there better options out there? sure, are they more expensive, carry more rounds, fire a bigger caliber, look prettier, feel better....absolutely. But I can take the finest Les Bear 1911, hand it to an untrained 17 year old rifle man with ZERO training(i.e. myself first arriving to the fleet), plug thousands and thousands of rounds through it, never maintain it properly, beat the dog ****e out of it after however many others had already done so, and guess what, it's gonna be just as bad as any other weapon. Is the Beretta the end all be all of handguns, probably not. But for what we needed it for, what we used it for and what it was designed to do, I wouldn't have traded it for any other firearm save my Beretta 96 brigadier which sleeps comfortably next to my pillow. Ever system has it flaws. But given my intimate experiences with several M9's, yes it does the job, and does it well. I will add that own/have owned several other handguns including 1911's and respect and enjoy them as well. But when the end of the world comes and we are overrun by a million screaming Chinamen, I'm grabbing my Beretta.

Ok,

rant over,

let the hate mail begin....
Old 12-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default M9 Love it? or Hate it?

I am a no body on this subject and love the look and function of the Italian 92FS. Unfortunately, it just doesn't fit my hand well. But a fine firearm.

Last edited by boukca; 12-25-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

35 haters lol
Old 12-26-2013, 6:56 AM
Banned

Any one seen the Desert Storm version of the Beretta M9? The pistol came in a desert box, I love it. I will post a photo of it later on today.
Old 12-26-2013, 9:23 AM

I dont think there is anything in the price range and features, for the quantity needed, thats any better. Notice i said features, so dont bring up glocks, 1911's, etc.

It gets the job done But I'd rather have an Sig 226R or HK in 9mm.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am not in the military anymore but we did use the M9, and I was also issued a 92FS as a LEO. My go-to pistol for things that go bump in the night is an M9A1 with a TLR-1 and 20rd magazine. Have another 92FS and an INOX and all of them run like tops. I ditch the plastic mag catch and guide rod for metal ones, but you don't even really need to do that.

The only Berettas I ever saw fail were poorly maintained. My issued 92FS has at least 7-8K rounds through it and has much of the anodized black worn off but it functions perfectly. You can't knock these guns for being too big or bulky. They weren't designed for concealed carry, they are duty weapons.

I wonder sometimes when people gripe about this gun or that gun if it is based on actual experience handling the weapon or is it something they saw on the internet and feel the need to regurgitate and sound authoritative.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I wonder sometimes when people gripe about this gun or that gun if it is based on actual experience handling the weapon or is it something they saw on the internet and feel the need to regurgitate and sound authoritative.
That's how people treat politics, religion, etc.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 12-26-2013, 4:31 PM

Hated some ot the issued M9 other were good. Most are beat to **** and just wore the F out. Bought a 92FS and I love Berettas. No comparison to the wore out and abused M9.

01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com
Old 12-27-2013, 7:37 AM

I qualified Expert with it (Air Force, so not really that huge of an accomplishment), but I still don't like it. Chunky, uncomfortable, heavy, and not as reliable/durable as a lot of other guns. It's a decent pistol, but it's past its prime and needs to be replaced. Nothing wrong with 9mm, though, especially as a carry gun. I think they should replace it with the CZ P01, or at least the Glock 19.
Old 12-27-2013, 1:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukca View Post
Any one seen the Desert Storm version of the Beretta M9? The pistol came in a desert box, I love it. I will post a photo of it later on today.
Here- want it!

Old 12-27-2013, 1:58 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm not a fan of the M9 sights. The front sight post is too skinny through my sight picture; it floats between the rear sight lugs, which requires me to keep equal distance on either side of the front sight post, to maintain sight alignment. Not a problem on slow fire, but my accuracy suffered on the rapid fire and the timed mag change drills, which is why I wear a sharpshooter badge.

I like a thick front sight post that fits squarely between the rear sight lugs; my Glock and 1911 are like this and I'm much more accurate than with the M9.

Attention Marines! (and military friendly employers); I'm the new OC rep for www.marineforlife.org, looking to connect transitioning Marines to civilian opportunities; employment, education, etc. PM me if you are a Marine in need, or if you have an opportunity for military members.
Old 12-29-2013, 6:04 PM

Loved mine. The mags were crappy but it worked really well.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
I was on active duty when we transitioned from 1911s to the Beretta. The M9 has better sights, less recoil and most shooters had higher scores when qualifying with the M9. I'm not anti 9mm but wouldn't have chosen the M9 as my top pick. The M9 is too bulky for a 15 shot 9mm and I've seen too many malfunctions to ever add one to my collection. I can forgive the FTF malfunctions caused by bad mags but we had cracked frames, cracked locking blocks, and lugs.
+1

We were the first unit to bring the M9 over to Okinawa. Lots of folks wanted to use it since it was the new kid on the block. 6 months later, several pistols were down because of various issues and I wouldn't pick one over a good 1911.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y