Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-19-2012, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Female Jurors giving Longest Sentences?

A forum member provided a great link on a study of how jurors perceive weapon choices when deliberating for sentencing. Its best if you read the entire document here to gain an idea of what they did, but one section I found interesting was the following :

We found the overall effect of gun type was significant. AR-15 shooters were given longer sentences. The most telling finding was that female mock jurors gave female AR-15 shooters the harshest sentences a mean of approximately eight years as compared to a male average of five and a half years. In comparison, the lowest average recommended sentence was for a male shooting a Ruger Mini about two and a half years. Thus, gun type and gender could be a potent combination in sentencing. See the summarized data presented in Figure 2

The scenario for the above was a home defense situation against a burglar. The researchers asked a selection of mock jurors what they'd offer as a sentence-one set are told that the defender used an AR15, and the other are told that the homeowner used a Ruger Mini 14 with a ranch stock.

Some fairly interesting conclusions came of that study, not the least of which is that women stigmatize other women who take up arms in their own defense-a factor which frankly suprises me.

Any thoughts on the matter? I'm curious what the Calguns women think of the conclusions, especially regarding female shooters being perceived negatively for using scary black rifles. This topic has relevance to all who would use a firearm for self defense anywhere, as after the shooting court is certain to follow.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:23 PM

I'm curious as to why the victim (homeowner, not the burglar) would be getting sentenced at all, unless I'm misreading it.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I'm curious as to why the victim (homeowner, not the burglar) would be getting sentenced at all, unless I'm misreading it.
Click the link for details.

Cliff Notes:the study's purpose is to find out if the gun type used makes a difference to a jury in the sentencing phase of a trial. Obviously in a real-world genuine self defense situation you wouldn't be criminally prosecuted , but a person who uses a gun in self defense CERTAINLY will face some form of Grand Jury, who then decides if criminal charges are warranted or not.

If the Grand Jury is scared of Black Rifles , they may be influenced enough by the choice of rifle to seek a manslaughter charge-especially if the shooter was a woman and the jury is composed of a female majority , if the study is to be trusted.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:47 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Jurors do not sentence in most cases. Only find facts. The Judge sentences. The only sentence oriented thing a jury decides is death or life w/o parole.
Old 10-20-2012, 6:48 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

In cases involving firearms, there are often "special circumstances" that can be applied which increase the sentence.

If the jury finds the defendant guilty of the base charge, they then decide whether the points of the special circumstances were also proven by the prosecution.

When I have served on juries, the judge always instructed us that we were not to consider the possible length of a potential sentence when deliberating, only the facts pertaining to innocence or guilt.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 10-20-2012, 3:44 PM

I am quite surprised that women in that mock jury gave a longer sentence because of an AR. I suppose using a Desert Eagle would be more appropriate even though it is a much deadlier weapon.

My mind is telling me the AR's have been given a bad rap because it is most discussed weapon to ban. I have friends with deer rifles that are more powerful than my AR.