Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Question New to FN Fal World

Greetings, new to the FN FAL world. Since I am in California, I am to wait 10 days to pick up the Imbel and the magazine is fixed! My question to the forum, is there another method of loading the rifle? I remember seen a slide dust cover which allows access to load the rifle. Any suggestions or comments on the issue? Much appreciated
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM

The fal can be loaded via "stripper clip" top covers, actually they can be loaded via the E-port as there is enough room to stuff them in that way.

OR - you could make a wing out of kydex for the pistol grip so you cannot wrap your thumb (like the monsterman), install a muzzle brake and run open magwell....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Many thanks for you reply, I did a search for monsterman and can not find any pics or description of it... could you help with that?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Welcome to the board and welcome to FALs!

You will love your FAL. Accurate, manageable recoil, and just plain cool looking.

Mine is a fixed magazine.

Here are your options:

1) go featureless (no pistol grip(s), no flash-hider, no collapsible stock) -> then you can have detachable magazines.

2) go fixed magazine (like mine) and have all the evil features you want (then just load from the top using stripper clips or one-at-a-time). Note that when you have a fixed magazine, you must not use anything other than a 10 round fixed mag - you can't use your pre-ban 20 rounders (or even 11 rounders) in a fixed mag rifle. Tapco makes a neat stripper clip top cover - see: http://www.tdwsales.com/catalog/item/236222/2946087.htm

With respect to "featureless" - I think that MonsterMan *may* be making a "MMG" (Monster Man Grip) for the FAL - it's a non-pistol grip that will allow you to have a nice featureless build. I would do a search for MMG and check with him (he's on the board).

With respect to "fixed" - there's some folks that are making a "bullet-button" that allows you to have a fixed magazine that requires a tool for removal (and the tool happens to be a bullet). This allows you to use a tool to remove the mag and reload the mag.

I think both the FAL MMG and the FAL bullet button are in the prototype stages - so I'm just throwing them out there as possible future options.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Oaklander, many thanks for the additional information. I did find the monsterman (http://www.monstermangrip.com/) and sent an email requesting info on FN FAL. I do like the idea on Tapco stripper clip top cover, seems very convenient... I need to look for pics and see how it looks installed
Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Here is a bit of INFO for you if you would rather own a actual FN rather than a DSA clone FAL.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...712#post586712

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=50.63
Old 06-05-2007, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

One more option for "featureless" is the non-thumbhole. It's ugly and heavy but it works.

The FAL "bullet button" design is in the initial stages but you could make one today that will work with any narrow tool to depress the mag release lever (not a bullet). I haven't decided whether to make and sell them, I don't think the demand is there and don't want to waste time improving the design if nobody wants them. I'll just make my own and that will be it.

The ONLY reason I made one was because I want a working folder on my para and reloading a set-screw fixed mag sucks. For all my other FALs the non-thumbhole will suffice, no evil features for me as I have plenty of 20rd mags.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!

Last edited by thedrickel; 06-05-2007 at 1:14 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a DSA on order(should be here in 12-112 weeks) and would buy a bullet(i.e. tool)-button style solution. i'm sure 1/2 of the other FAL/clone owners would also and the rest would if we can get a clear ruling from courts/DOJ..yada.yada.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:13 AM

The Imbel has arrived... nice Father's Day... I am still researching the loading of it.

Does anyone has the TAPCO FAL/L1A1 Stripper Clip Guide Top Cover/Scope Mount that can share some pictures and experience?

Entreprise Arms has a solution (http://www.entreprise.com/CA_loading.htm). Any comments?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM

I have an FAL with the Tapco stripper clip top cover and it works very well indeed. I also have the original C1A1 Canadian FAL stripper clip top cover and while it is more correct for the gun you are shooting I like the Tapco version better as it allows me to mount optics on top of it. It is a good looking, straightforward mount that slides right on and secures with, I think, 4 screws per side and the design is such that it does not really mar the finish on your gun. I recently mounted up one of those cheapo red dot sights with the 4 different dots on it and it has worked great over the past 4 or 5 shooting sessions. While it is definitely nicer to be able to just change out 20 round box mags, the stripper clip feature does work well. The gun that I have it on has an StG style bipod on it so from the bench I just leave it sitting on the bi-pod and stuff two strippers down the top and it is ready to go. What is the going rate for the cover at Tapco? I know from time to time they put them on sale for dirt cheap, in the area of $15.00 a pop, so cheap that I usually grab one or two up when they do as I have buddies with FALs as well that have hit me up for them in the past. Find yourself some .308 strippers at a bargain and load up 50 or 100 of them before you go out shooting and you will find that you can load and shoot as fast or faster than the guy that has to load and change magazines.

Mark
Old 06-17-2007, 12:29 PM

I have found that I can load it faster through the e-port than with those darn stripper clips with the stripper clip cover that mine came with. I have the DSA Extended Extreme Duty cover and have no problems loading it through the e-port.
Old 06-17-2007, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67siia View Post
The Imbel has arrived... nice Father's Day... I am still researching the loading of it.

Does anyone has the TAPCO FAL/L1A1 Stripper Clip Guide Top Cover/Scope Mount that can share some pictures and experience?

Entreprise Arms has a solution (http://www.entreprise.com/CA_loading.htm). Any comments?
Here you go:
http://www.tdwsales.com/page/page/232510.htm

Or you can go with DSA, they are sturdier but also $125:
http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=14

Either one will work with proper stripper clips. DSA's version is a little sturdier, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra money.

Start off with the 5 round stripper clips, when you have had enough practice then try the 10 rounders. Note that there are at least 8 different versions of 7.62 stripper clips, some work better than others (i. e. the M-14 stripper clips do not work very well). I suggest getting the DSA stripper clips, those worked well for me.
Old 06-17-2007, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Greetings, new to the FN FAL world. Since I am in California, I am to wait 10 days to pick up the Imbel and the magazine is fixed! My question to the forum, is there another method of loading the rifle? I remember seen a slide dust cover which allows access to load the rifle. Any suggestions or comments on the issue? Much appreciated
Any standard dust cover can be slid back for loading...Enterprise's solution is the obvious one. Issue is that the dust cover wont slide back until you actuate the take down lever, the bolt/bolt carrier assembly also needs to be slid back. A three-handed job to say the least.

Tapco makes a stripper clip guide that allows you to load the gun without breaking it open. DSA has a better solution, http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=620ASCM. It is more $$; it does work better than Tapco's cover, imo.

The MM grip solution is also viable, not to mention ugly. If you need a removeable magazine, it's a way to go.

-hanko

Last edited by -hanko; 06-17-2007 at 3:56 PM..
Old 06-17-2007, 4:43 PM

who makes a mag lock kit for the FAL these days? Can't find anyone who does or who has one in stock
Old 06-17-2007, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekster View Post
who makes a mag lock kit for the FAL these days? Can't find anyone who does or who has one in stock
I'll give you this one if you promise to give a search button a try next time:

http://cgwgun.com/fnfal4.aspx

$27
or you can make your own if you have a drill, good drill bits and taps.

There was a member here that also sold them, but I can't remember who it was; you will have to do a search on that one.

Last edited by C.G.; 06-17-2007 at 5:18 PM.. Reason: Further info
Old 06-17-2007, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekster View Post
Just an FYI - my DSA STG58 came equipped with the tapped mag release. No allen screw or wrench though.
Old 06-17-2007, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Just an FYI - my DSA STG58 came equipped with the tapped mag release. No allen screw or wrench though.
If I were you I would go to OSH or like and get #6 or #8 fine thread allen screw (those were the two most commonly used, I think it is either 1/2 or 3/4 inch, it has been a while) ASAP and put it in with your magazine fixed; until you do I would keep the pistol grip off if you have a muzzle brake. If you have a flash hider I would separate the lower from the upper and keep them in different places.
Old 06-17-2007, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

You can also tap a roll pin into the spring recess hole on the magazine side of the magazine catch. Grind a little off the end of the pin; just enough to allow the mag catch to slip into the receiver and let you fit the screw in place. You're well within the law as the magazine cannot be removed without unscrewing the mag catch screw and removing the mag catch. You can also convert the mag catch to the real thing by removing the pin and replacing it with the standard spring. Cost is maybe 50 cents at your local auto parts store or similar..

-hanko
Old 06-17-2007, 6:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
If I were you I would go to OSH or like and get #6 or #8 fine thread allen screw (those were the two most commonly used, I think it is either 1/2 or 3/4 inch, it has been a while) ASAP and put it in with your magazine fixed; until you do I would keep the pistol grip off if you have a muzzle brake. If you have a flash hider I would separate the lower from the upper and keep them in different places.
Already did that. I keep spares in the SAW grip. Also, since I bought the completed gun from DSA it arrived with spot of weld in the mag release channel and that prevented the mag release from pivoting anyway.

Last edited by dfletcher; 06-17-2007 at 6:30 PM..
Old 06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Already did that. I keep spares in the SAW grip. Also, since I bought the completed gun from DSA it arrived with spot of weld in the mag release channel and that prevented the mag release from pivoting anyway.

Then I am not sure why you asked the original guestion.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here's a pic of the stripper clip cover.

Not sure who manufactured it.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-18-2007, 9:16 AM

The Entreprise solution is actually a standard dust cover sawn in half so that you can manually feed rounds in through the open front. Same idea as a stripper clip cover except there is no clip guide.

If you have any spare dustcovers and a dremel or saw you could just do this yourself by cutting off the front 1/3rd portion of the dust cover in front of where the ejection port starts. I did this with my para....

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Any standard dust cover can be slid back for loading...Enterprise's solution is the obvious one. Issue is that the dust cover wont slide back until you actuate the take down lever, the bolt/bolt carrier assembly also needs to be slid back. A three-handed job to say the least.

Tapco makes a stripper clip guide that allows you to load the gun without breaking it open. DSA has a better solution, http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=620ASCM. It is more $$; it does work better than Tapco's cover, imo.

The MM grip solution is also viable, not to mention ugly. If you need a removeable magazine, it's a way to go.

-hanko
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
Here's a pic of the stripper clip cover.

Not sure who manufactured it.
If it is the one you got from me, it is Tapco.
Old 06-18-2007, 4:09 PM

This is great info, for the price, I am ordering a Tapco. Thanks a million!
Old 06-18-2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Greetings, new to the FN FAL world. Since I am in California, I am to wait 10 days to pick up the Imbel and the magazine is fixed!
First off, you do not have an FN FAL. If you did, it would be an assault weapon by name. What you have is an Imbel FAL.
Old 06-18-2007, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post
First off, you do not have an FN FAL. If you did, it would be an assault weapon by name. What you have is an Imbel FAL.
Common usage is just 'FAL'. It was clear what 67siia has, at least to me.

-hanko
Old 06-18-2007, 8:36 PM
Banned

Not all actual FN FAL's are considered AW's there are a few that are not listed rifles that are actually made by FN. while they are not called FAL's by FN they do look and handle just like a FAL.

Here is one of my FN Rifles.

Right side of receiver.

Left side of receiver.

This like the HK41 is not on the ROBERTI-ROOS list hence its not an assault rifle. Below is the list feel free to check it out. You will notice this is not a Rifle completed from a select fire kit and does not require any of the 922R US Made parts you will notice that it has the semi auto selector with the "R" stamped into it just like in the Blake Stevens book "THE FAL" and it also has the semi auto trigger plunger although its hidden under the pistol grip.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post

Last edited by SemiAutoSam; 06-18-2007 at 8:39 PM..
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM

is the belgian short style flash hider legal on a 10 round fixed rifle in CA? does it require a pin or soldering ?
Old 06-20-2007, 7:46 PM

I stand corrected, I have an Imbel FAL
Old 06-23-2007, 8:27 AM

TAPCO FAL/L1A1 Stripper Clip Guide Top Cover/Scope Mount RECEIVED!!!

Now the installation, since I am new to Imbel FAL world and it did not include instructions, any comment or trick I shall know prior to the first try to install it?
Old 06-23-2007, 8:43 AM

Does anybody make an FAL to AR grip conversion plate?
I never did buy an FAL before the ban when I actually could have afforded one
Me things if such a beast exists, one could run a standard MM ar grip and be happy
Old 06-23-2007, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
is the belgian short style flash hider legal on a 10 round fixed rifle in CA? does it require a pin or soldering ?
A flash hider is legal on a semi auto with a fixed 10 round mag - no need to pin or solder. My DSA came with the Steyr short flash hider & fixed mag and the hider screws off/on. I switched it out for a short Belgian brake.
Old 06-23-2007, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
TAPCO FAL/L1A1 Stripper Clip Guide Top Cover/Scope Mount RECEIVED!!!

Now the installation, since I am new to Imbel FAL world and it did not include instructions, any comment or trick I shall know prior to the first try to install it?
Not much to it. Break open the rifle, slide off old cover, slide on new and tighten screws.