Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-24-2012, 8:01 PM

Default Homemade Target Stand

I've been going to my parents place up in the mountains (Arnold area) and shooting. I'm getting tired of just shooting cans and those dumb self healing targets you can get from Walmart aren't doing it for me. I found plans online and decided to build my own. Total in parts ~$30 and about 1.5 hours of work (included a trip to OSH and then Home Depot because OSH didn't have the wood).

5x 16in pieces, 2x 3ft pieces, 2x Tees, 2x 90degree elbows and 2x end caps.
The stuff is 1 1/2in sewage/drainage piping they had at OSH, it was $0.73/ft.

Didn't use glue so I can disassemble it and transport it easily in my trunk (I have a Ford Focus hatchback.)

The wood pieces are 1in square, not sure what type of wood, it was only $3 for a 6 ft piece so I bought four, two for backup. I used Gorilla Glue and attached some of the green Scotch-Brite scouring pads inside the pipe to keep the wood from wobbling, seems to work quite well so far. The cardboard is just an extra moving box I had lying around that I cut up, I can use the flaps from the top and bottom to reinforce the middle once I shoot it all out so I can maximize the use of the cardboard.

I'll take it with me this weekend when I head up to Arnold and test it out, along with my brand new Primary Arms 3x compact ACOG-like optic that just arrived as I was typing this.

If anyone has any suggestions about improvements feel free to comment. Also, if anyone knows of a good place to get cardboard for cheap let me know!!!

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2012, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Nice work man! Add a couple of cross-bars and you can repurpose this at home for ladder golf!

It'd be cool if you could fortify somehow to hang a steel plate!
Old 07-24-2012, 8:08 PM

I don't have a torch or even the minimal amount of knowledge to even get into metal work. I stick to PVC, wood and electronics soldering. I don't get out enough to justify spending the bucks on steel either. Maybe later on in life I will but right now this will suffice.

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2012, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Neither do I. I think you can get steel plates with "ears" already built in and hang with chain.

Forgive any unintended detraction from your stand. It looks nicer than the PVC posts used at my local outdoor range.

Again, nice work brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫
Old 07-24-2012, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

When you get some extra cash, try poultry netting at Depot. Put thousands of rounds through it so far and still original. Top stick you can hang a bowling pin in back or fruit from a back extra piece of mesh flap. My wood is 1x2...1 1/2 inch pvc 15" and 23" cross pieces.

All Good

Old 07-24-2012, 8:54 PM

I like that idea of netting but what would be a practical way to attach targets? I like to use shoot n see or something similar. I was thinking about making an add on PVC top with just one cross piece and two elbow joints so I can hang 2 liters, bowling pins etc etc. I could also use a female to female adapter and add an extra foot to make it slightly taller and still accomplish the same thing. The PVC I got is sturdy to support the idea.

Old 07-24-2012, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot and C is all I use, staple gun to the wood on w/e side the wind is blowing from and use plastic or metal clips from the .99 cent store. Haven't lost many clips to bullets, I'd say 4 so far, started with about 20. I made 3 stands, cost about $20 ea., good for the desert and playing tactical man.

BTW the top piece of wood is removable, drilled a hole in each end and drove a nail in the vertical piece of wood, it just sits on the nails but with the 2 cross pieces its sturdy as a rock. The poultry netting is plastic so you just roll it up with the wood attached for easy transport. Netting is stapled to side wood only. Compact is the game.

Last edited by sixoclockhold; 07-24-2012 at 9:10 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 9:06 PM

Do you have the netting pulled tight to stop the targets from flopping in the wind or is that not really an issue? I'm guessing you just stapled the netting to the frame as well?

Clips like these? This is what I imagine I would try.

Crappy picture, here's the link

Old 07-24-2012, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

plastic ones I got (8) for a buck at .99, metal found on a clean out office job, had to cut the inside out with tin snips because the netting is 3/4 inch holes.You ccould use wood clothes pins too I would imagine

Last edited by sixoclockhold; 07-24-2012 at 9:27 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 9:22 PM

Cool, thanks. I think I'll swing by OSH and look into the netting, I like that idea better than buying new cardboard all the time.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 PM

I use basically the same stand. Only differance is that I also use "T's" on the top of the verticle risers and then use a piece of rebar as a cross bar. From the cross bar, I hang an 8" AR500 plate. It has ears and I just use large "S" hooks to hange the plate from the cross bar. On the cardboad backer, I attach whatever paper target I want.

If you want a good way to hang/suspend clay's, check out sure site target hangers. http://www.suresiteinc.com/
Old 07-25-2012, 7:11 AM

How much are clays? Are they inexpensive? I like that idea as well. Jeez all the suggestions are good and are just going to make me spend more $$. Damn.

Old 07-25-2012, 9:24 AM

When I made mine, the only difference is in the base I used different diameter pvc tubes so I could slide one into the other to make it smaller for storage and transport and to adjust widths for different size targets.

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

great design :-)

Mine is similar: I use 2" ABS piping and 2 connectors. using the 2 connectors, allow me to have a low to the ground cross beam. I also take a 2ft ABS pipe and cut it into (2) 1ft pieces and use these as the leg holders. Since I mainly use corrugated plastic backers with 1"x2"x5' wood legs. I screw the backers onto the legs and i am ready to go. I like the idea about the chicken fencing to hold clays and such, I will be trying it. ALCO Target has a stock of mini clays I have been wanting to get, i just didnt have a reason :-)

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Nice. Would pvc stand up to shooting steel plates at 100yds with 223, would the fragments damage it I mean?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM

The stuff I got seemed pretty sturdy but I don't shoot steel... yet, so I can't answer that question.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

what i have seen is the splatter from the round spraying off the steel will cut into the frame. I would choose ABS over PVC because it holds up better. I can shoot a PVC pipe and crack and destroy it with one round and ABS, at least from my experience, wont crack or fragment on one or more rounds.
Also consider wrapping the frame that is close to the splatter zone with duct tape. It will help the pipe last longer.
My current target configuration as described above has lasted 1.5 years with all the original parts intact. So my $25 target is giving me a pretty decent roi.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Mine might actually be ABS also, the parts you posted pics of look exactly like the parts I'm using. I'll have to physically look at the pipe when I get home to make sure. It looked and felt more rugged than the normal PVC and was only slightly more expensive (pennies per foot more) which is why I bought it. I have a couple of 4 in spare pieces I'll shoot to test out the strength.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM

I also made some PVC target stands. I cut the two vertical pipes that the wood goes into so they were about 12". I used to make them higher until I hit one with a stray round once.

Leaving them short doesn't compromise how rigid they are.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM

I think I'm going to add a cross beam between my 2 vertical pipes low, towards the base. I'm also going to build an add on cross beam for the top so I can slap that on so I can hang various items from it. While I'm getting the extra parts I'll look into that netting situation, I like the idea of a nearly indestructible backer for my targets.

Old 07-25-2012, 1:15 PM

You can get a 135 count box of clays for under $15 through google shopping:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGoQxBUwAA

The last time I bought clays was at the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club and I think I spent $20 for the both of 135 ( I know thats pricey but we ran out of clays ). Heck I still have about half that box left.

-ouch1
Old 07-25-2012, 1:27 PM

Wow, they are cheaper than I thought. I just might have to pick up a box. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-25-2012, 2:17 PM

Wal-mart usually has clays for fairly cheap, too. I haven't purchased any in awhile, but ti was like $10 for just under 100.
Old 07-25-2012, 2:29 PM

I was going to swing by to check ammo today I'll look into clays while I'm there.

Old 07-25-2012, 2:43 PM

Nice job. I also made one of thoes stands like the white ones. Took it to Carson city NV to shoot at. Worked out pretty good other then the wind but fixed that with a heavy bag.
Old 07-25-2012, 2:49 PM

None of it is glued together, I'll just throw some sand in it if I need to weigh it down but there is natural wind blockers where I shoot so it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-25-2012, 4:35 PM

I just notices that you go shooting up by Arnold. I used to live up there, and would go hunting in the hills north of White Pines lake. Usually at least 2-3 ridgelines north of the lake.

-ouch1
Old 07-25-2012, 7:12 PM

Oh thanks for the ABS advice, didn't know there was other stuff besides PVC.
Old 07-25-2012, 9:07 PM

Clays are pretty cheap. I usually buy them at Wally World. The sure site target hangers are great! I bought a pack of 50 (to save on shipping). Wish I could find them locally. Here's a pic (cell phone).

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

Cool stand, need to get my lazy a55 off to make one!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Some good ideas guys. Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM

I know this sounds hokey, but I have used old pallets to make target stands. I just take 2 and nail them into a "T" and the put pairs of nails about 2 inches apart from each other and use them to hold clay targets. I can usually get 3-4 targets per beam. I them set it up about 100-150M out and blast away with my .308. You can also use that setup with some monster paper clips to hold paper targets on.

I usually use wooden pallets but the next time I am going to try a plastic one as it should hold up better and not splinter apart.

-ouch1
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM

I use wooden saw horses. I cut a thick piece of cardboard the width between the legs. Staple it on and then tape targets to it. When it gets shoot to pieces well i have my fire kindling.

It works well with bowling pics too. I use a bunge cord and suspend the pin.