Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 07-22-2012, 2:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Two of my Saiga-12's: Bullpup and AOW

Hey everyone, thought I'd share two of my Saigas with y'all. The first is an AOW I built on a Form 1. I started with a standard Izmash 109 and stripped it down as the donor. I cleaned off all the engravings and rail on the receiver, and milled a replacement trunnion to spec per ATF rules. It features an 8-inch barrel with flash hider and is 19.5" long. The forward grip makes it VERY controllable. Nickel plated w/black furniture, HK Iron sights, stainless gas puck and Tromix front rail. Enjoy!

Old 07-22-2012, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Next up:

My latest addition, thanks to Michael/EBRWorks: Kushnapup, 18.25" Barrel Incl. perm'd flash hider, SGM Buttpad, custom rail, knurled charging handle, and currently wearing an EOTech. Picked this puppy up yesterday, and had it just about converted by days end. Not a hard conversion at all for the mechanically inclined. I spent the most time mounting the rail and tuning the trigger. I cut, filed, and polished the original trigger and assembled it sits at a solid 6 pound trigger pull with a very solid feel. The rail attachment went like this:

Drive out rear sight, grind off front bead (Just the tip for clearance), cut a length of machined steel picatinny rail to the right length, notched and round ends to fit the gun well, drilled, tapped, and countersunk front gas block, welded rear of rail to gas tub assembly.

I went ahead and increased the 4 gas ports from .060-ish to .093 to start with (judging from past experience with Saigas). Waiting on a 1/2" rail riser to put optic at proper height. The gun feels pretty back heavy, but one it is on your shoulder, it feel very good. I am very impressed with the feel of the gun overall, looking forward to shooting it! Here she is:

Old 07-22-2012, 2:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Two More:

Old 07-22-2012, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBkickinit View Post
Hey everyone, thought I'd share two of my Saigas with y'all. The first is an AOW I built on a Form 1. I started with a standard Izmash 109 and stripped it down as the donor. I cleaned off all the engravings and rail on the receiver, and milled a replacement trunnion to spec per ATF rules. It features an 8-inch barrel with flash hider and is 19.5" long. The forward grip makes it VERY controllable. Nickel plated w/black furniture, HK Iron sights, stainless gas puck and Tromix front rail. Enjoy!
so you made a trunnion but i am confused with the "cleaned off all engravings" can you explain that
Old 07-22-2012, 2:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Once the firearm has been destroyed, i.e. Trunnion is no more, the rest are just parts. The sheetmetal on the receiver of a saiga-12 isn't the serialized piece like an AK, the Trunnion is. The markings on the sheetmetal cease to have importance.

I smoothed the receiver with a tig welder, then re-heat treated and tempered it.
Old 07-22-2012, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

aww i understand now didnt know the s12's only had serials on the trunnion and you could use the orig shell ... seem like there would be a marketplace for some of them virgin trunnions if someone was making them for sale

nice builds buddy
Old 07-22-2012, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is a niche market, but would do well. To be able to buy the virgin trunnion would be interesting. The two companies I know of that build AOWs won't sell the trunnions, they only use them for their completed guns. I didn't CNC mine, it was tedious manual work with help from a friend who is a far better machinist than I. He taught me alot in the process.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

I like! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-23-2012, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Works of art, great looking guns!
Old 07-24-2012, 2:11 AM
Guardian of masculinity
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

can you post a picture of the AOW with a mag in it?